PDA

View Full Version : Star Child

Crazy Tom
09-07-2006, 19:37
Who or what is the Star Child?
As far as I've been able to discern it's something to do with the Emperor, and it's been largely abadoned by GW... help?

impending slaughter
09-07-2006, 19:54
Try here

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Starchild

I think it has been abandoned by GW, which is a shame cos I quite like the idea :/

Kage2020
09-07-2006, 19:59
It isn't mentioned in the newer material and it may be abandoned, but I for one do not abandon it. I find it one of the few truly interesting ideas of the 40k universe! :D

Kage

Crazy Tom
09-07-2006, 20:05
It seems, then, to be the one light of hope for the Imperium - if they wait long enough for the Star Child to awaken then they'll have a much greater mastery over the warp, and all the obvious benifits that go with that.

My question then, is this: Is it actually the Emperor's soul, or is the Star Child something akin to Slaanesh - being borne out of the desires and behaviour of the Imperium as their beliefs are imprinted on the psycho-reactive fabric of the warp? A new entity, quite apart from the True Emperor, but bearing his name and his aims?

Drasanil
09-07-2006, 20:13
Apperently GW thinks that a thin glimmer of hope in the very distant future, and the fact that an essentialy dormant facet of the warp reflects positive energy, is far too upbeat and has no place in the uber-grimm future of darkness and dooming doomed doomyness...

I for one would like to see more focus on some of the less super-grim aspects of 40k such as Ynnead and Starchild. If all you have is grim darkness and doomed this and doomed that, it starts to loose it's edge. More fluff on Ynnead and the Starchild would provide a nice little change. Not to mention it would add some constrast by which the "grim darkness" actualy seems grim rather than so common place as to essentialy go unnoticed or unheaded.

Kage2020
09-07-2006, 20:54
My question then, is this: Is it actually the Emperor's soul, or is the Star Child something akin to Slaanesh - being borne out of the desires and behaviour of the Imperium as their beliefs are imprinted on the psycho-reactive fabric of the warp?
Canonically the Star Child is the Emperor's soul.

Apperently GW thinks that a thin glimmer of hope in the very distant future, and the fact that an essentialy dormant facet of the warp reflects positive energy, is far too upbeat and has no place in the uber-grimm future of darkness and dooming doomed doomyness...
LOL. That's funny! With that said, if they include the Tau then surely the Star Child has as much an appropriate presence as anything else! ;)

If all you have is grim darkness and doomed this and doomed that, it starts to loose it's edge.
Indeed, and becomes very, very repetitive. As you say though, Drasanil, without the reflection 40k can seem to go that way...

Kage

Drasanil
09-07-2006, 21:31
LOL. That's funny! With that said, if they include the Tau then surely the Star Child has as much an appropriate presence as anything else! ;)

Glad you liked it.

How ever I'm not a big fan of the Tau, it seems GW essentialy sucked all the humanity and decency out of the eldar and the imperium, who while hardly angels were supposed to represent the least of all evils. Then, rather than fixing their mistake, they overcompensated by creating 40k's version of the Federation, I'm only suprised O'P'kard hasn't made an apperance yet:)

Indeed, and becomes very, very repetitive. As you say though, Drasanil, without the reflection 40k can seem to go that way...

Kage

Which is why I'm surprised GW haven't caught on yet. They actualy seem to be getting worse, if the rumours about the Empire in WFB becoming more like the Imperium are true.

Inq. Veltane
09-07-2006, 21:57
I don't know, I think all the talk about the Emperor as an effective warp entity who can manifest as 'Divine Powers' and imbue saints like Thor implicitly carries the idea of the Star Child. The Emperor-as-God is really the Star Child, even if that name and the end towards which he is working is left unspoken. I see traces of the idea still and whilst I'm certainly no Thorian (I think the Emperor better serves us as a Warp Entity than reincarnated) the very idea of the Emperor's soul drawing the souls of the faithful to himself and then having the power to interact with the psychical universe.... is at least similar to the Star Child concept.

Minister
10-07-2006, 00:42
On a related note, I am convinced that Ephrael Stern is a Sensei.

Twisted Ferret
10-07-2006, 05:04
O'P'kard
:D

(The message I have entered is too short.)

Born Again
10-07-2006, 05:10
The star child fluff hasn't been officially abandoned, it just hasn't been mentioned in canon for a long time. There's some fluff in 3rd edition about an Inquisitor discovering and destroying a cult worshipping a star child, which was seen by some as an attempt to write it out of the fluff, but that cult was worshipping Tzeentch, so no certainty.

Khaine's Messenger
10-07-2006, 06:04
I'm with Veltane on this one...while no one's used the term "Star Child" in a while, there's been plenty heaped on our plates to suggest the existance of a similar "divine" entity.

Although personally I don't see what's so "not" grim about the Star Child and Ynnaed, considering both of them will involve mass sacrifices that one could equivotcate with genocide or systematic extermination. But then I guess that's 40k for you. :cool:

Stahlgeist
10-07-2006, 18:08
SPOILER in Inviso Text:

There's a clear reference to the Star Child in the "Xenology" - see the "broken tablet" missing piece. Looks just like the Star Child in "2001", which was clearly the inspiration for WH40K's Star Child. Looks to me like the Laughing God is also present in the intact portion of the tablet.

Kymar
10-07-2006, 18:14
Response to Stahlgeist:
I'm pretty certain that its just a human fetus. In both the Xenology & 2001:Space Odyessy

Stahlgeist
10-07-2006, 18:32
That's what you took away from watching "2001"? Are there a lot of fetuses floating around unharmed in the void? ;)

You may want to read the Clarke novelization, where the "Starchild" is fleshed out a bit more.

Here's a helpful link as well: http://metaphilm.com/philm.php?id=449_0_2_0_M4 - there are many others out there just a Google away...

Kymar
10-07-2006, 18:57
Funny thing is that i actually have that book.. I suppose I should read it some time..

Edit:
Okay I read that website (as such, thanks for the link) and it just reinforces my original memory of the movie (beyond the excessive Nuclear ending of Clarke). The Starchild is humanity, or more precisely humanity's potential. The Starchild doesn't need to exist, or more so shouldn't exist. Absentee god anyone?

Chem-Dog
10-07-2006, 20:01
The star child fluff hasn't been officially abandoned, it just hasn't been mentioned in canon for a long time. There's some fluff in 3rd edition about an Inquisitor discovering and destroying a cult worshipping a star child, which was seen by some as an attempt to write it out of the fluff, but that cult was worshipping Tzeentch, so no certainty.

The Starchild was actually described as a Tzeenchian Daemon/Daemonprince IIRC and the Sensei were his unwitting pawns, rather than the true biological offspring of the Emperor, pretty much written of in my book. It hasn't been mentioned in something like three editions of 40K (I'm pretty certain, at least, that it's last proper mention was in RT days)
Honestly Starchild was a horrible, horrible concept, stank far too much of patchouli and love beads, the concept has undergone something of a small revival with the idea of Thorians and "Avatars" though and this sits much better in the present day 40K.

nurgleman
10-07-2006, 20:22
I say as long as it isn't official written out of the background, it still exists. Remeber in the inquistion wars it mentioned that it would take a very long time for the star child to manifest and might in fact cause the end of the universe.

Kage2020
10-07-2006, 22:33
I'm going to suggest that the Star Child exists. Why? Because it would be a pretty dull universe without it. Why should we remove the interesting bits?

Kage

Ardathair
11-07-2006, 06:40
GW still has a number of the Loyal Primarchs returning/recovering for some future war, why not the Emperor doing the same, possibly more dramatically?

Just because a number of Star Child cults have been secretly worshiping Tzeentch does not prove that the Star Child is a Tzeentch creation. As I recall, many chaos cults disguise themselves as worshipers of the Emperor, in some the disguise even extends to many of the cult members. Does that prove the Emperor is chaos?

teh_soldier
11-07-2006, 09:08
Well, i'm always a lil worried about the Emperor.
1. Golden Throne, needs the souls of Psykers to maintain the Emperor. C'Tan anyone?
2. Starchild, Emperor re-born out of the desires of Humanity. Slaneesh anyone?
3. Servo-skulls, the Adeptus Mechanus needs skulls for servo-skulls (rulebook, page 121). Khorne anyone?
(Okay, the last one may be a bit far out, but you get the point.)
Acytually, as a SM player, maybe i shouldn't be having these doubts about my Commander-In-Chief...

EarthScorpion
11-07-2006, 10:16
<sigh>
C'tan do not eat souls. I don't care what that imprecise phrasing in the Codex says; the soul is a Warp thing and thus inaccessible/anathema to the C'tan.

You should be woried about the birth of the Star Child, though. From my understanding of the background the birth will indeed be similar to Slaanesh's, creating a new Eye of Terror over Earth (Eye of Terra, hah :) ). Meanwhile, the Astronomicon is what is attracting the 'nid fleets to Terra (or so I believe), as they are homing in on the psychic beacon in the same manner they do to the one of a Genestealer Cult.

nurgleman
11-07-2006, 18:37
Actually, EarthScorpion the birth of the star child might cause the mutual destruction of chaos and the physical universe. At least, thats what the eldar believe.

Kage2020
11-07-2006, 23:50
1. Golden Throne, needs the souls of Psykers to maintain the Emperor. C'Tan anyone?
As mentioned above, the 'fluff' would indicate that the C'tan do not feed on souls but yet another vague type of energy.

2. Starchild, Emperor re-born out of the desires of Humanity. Slaneesh anyone?
It is said that a New Man will be reborn of the Star Child, not necessarily a warp entity.

3. Servo-skulls, the Adeptus Mechanus needs skulls for servo-skulls (rulebook, page 121). Khorne anyone?
Or it's just a manifestation of ancestor worship.

You should be woried about the birth of the Star Child, though. From my understanding of the background the birth will indeed be similar to Slaanesh's, creating a new Eye of Terror over Earth (Eye of Terra, hah ).
LOL. With that said, the original information implied that it would be a physical messiah that was born. Thus no Eye of Terror or, indeed, Terra.

Actually, EarthScorpion the birth of the star child might cause the mutual destruction of chaos and the physical universe. At least, thats what the eldar believe.
I didn't believe that the Eldar had any published beliefs over the Star Child. Of course, there was something over the Hyrda, but that's a separate matter entirely.

Kage

nurgleman
12-07-2006, 00:06
No the eldar thought the hydra was a very bad thing. They wanted the Star Child, Numen, to be born so that they could fight the final battle with chaos. Im too lazy to look up what they called it but I know they were in support of the star child.

Kage2020
12-07-2006, 01:00
I shall wait for someone to post the reference, then. Both the wonderful and bad thing about reading so many GW books is that they tend to merge into a generic mish-mash. In the above case it seemed like you were mixing things up... ;)

Kage