PDA

View Full Version : WoC army list help

Wocattack42
04-01-2016, 19:30
Hello everyone, recently I have been building up my collection of Warriors of Chaos and was wondering if anyone could help me to build an army list.

I am going for a mostly Khorne/Tzeentch army if that is fieldable as Im not so fond of Slaanesh (Rather abstract motives if you ask me) or Nurgle (I would rather my army not to have a disgusting paint job). I would like it to use or, if its not feasible, build off of the models I currently have which are as follows:

10 Warhounds
24 Warriors
20 Marauders
A Sorceror Lord
A Chaos Lord/Exalted Hero (Crom the Conqueror model because I love it!)
5 Knights
A Chariot (Not built yet so advice on Normal or Gorebeast?)
A Hellcannon
A Chimera

I have converted one of my warriors to be build as a Exalted Hero BSB if that helps. Also, I would love to field Crom as himself but I dont know if he is any good in 8th or even playable at all. If he is playable please include a link to where I can find his rules.

Thanks in advance,
-Mark

Ayin
04-01-2016, 20:09
I'm assuming you're building an 8th edition list? My first advice is to check out 9th Age. You will find significantly more effective builds for the army, and many fewer auto-includes or terrible units.

Assuming it's still 8th, i played Warriors through the later half of 8th, and they can be a lot of fun.

Warhounds:
Warhounds are great flak units. Draw out Fanatics, run them flat into Mangler Squigs, walk them in front of your Warrior units to provide cover from BS based shooting. Multiple small units is the best way to go with them, it also gives you deployment options, you can start with a throw-away unit of hounds and gauge your opponents positioning. Upgrades are unnecessary on them if you're only fielding one or two units (of 5).

Warriors:
The flat basic way to run Warriors is 6 wide, allowing you to fit the maximum number of models into base contact with a 5 wide 20mm (standard) infantry unit. For Khorne, Halberds is the hands down and away best option, full stop. They are great. You're going to want to give them shields anyways for a bit more protection coming into the opponent. The magic standard that adds +1 movement is very helpful here as well.

Alternatively, if you go Tzeentch, Shields and Hand Weapons is the classic build to take advantage of the 5++ Parry save, but Halberds are still a great choice on them (see the trend?), as they only lose a max of one attack/model in the front rank (as the second rank doesn't benefit from either the second attack on the Warriors profile or the third Khorne gets from Frenzy).

Marauders:
A unit of Marauders with Tzeentch and HW&S makes an alright little bunker for a Wizard to be in, or a fine bus (lots of ranks) to Steadfastly hold an opponent up. A larger unit with Flails is an alright choice to take advantage of the Initiative 4. Khorne is neat here, but mostly overkill as they only get about 6 attacks extra and the unit cost significantly increases. Mark of Slaanesh is actually a good choice on these guys, it's cheap and makes them reliable and it's effects aren't wasted on second or third ranks. I run a small unit of 18 to just go in and hit things with S5 attacks.

Honestly, Marauders just aren't that good. They are somewhat expensive, they pay a lot for that I4 but don't get a lot of use out of it, and the mark you want to put on them for damage doesn't work combined with their best damage dealing formation (Horde). For you with 20, i'd make one unit of 18 (3 ranks of 6) with flails and Mark of Slaanesh.

Knights:
Knights are great. Well, they're not as great as other choices in the book for the same points, but they are still a GOOD choice to invest in. A unit with Mark of Khorne and enscorcelled weapons can put out real hurt, turn after turn, especially to light or medium infantry. I run a unit like that with the Gleaming Pennant (so they can re-roll their first failed Frenzy test and be farther away from my main lines) and am never dissapointed by how they perform. I ALSO run a unit of 5 with Lances and the Flaming Banner (also Mark of Khorne) and they are a spectacular monster hunting unit. On the charge they can generally just remove a Hellpit or Hydra.

If you want to run the Tzeentch, it's often the paint job I think looks the best on them, but you'll want the Enscorcelled Weapons on the unit. Running that unit bigger than 5 (6 wide) with a character in it for some defence is not a bad idea (Tzeentch stacks very well with the Ironcurse Icon to give your unit a 5++ vs Warmachines).

Chariot:
As for the Chariot, I run mine Mark of Khorne to get the most out of the horses. If your army is light on Core points, then run it normally (especially if you want to use your Warriors as Chosen, which is an option for you to consider). Mark of Nurgle makes the chariot very resilient. Mark of Tzeentch is more or less wasted on it, without the ability to combine it with either the Ironcurse or Parry, it's a 1/6 chance to save yourself from that cannonball, and doesn't help you not break from combat the way Nurgle and Khorne do.

Chimera:
Regen. This is the base of the first and generally best Warriors builds of 8th. Having two is even better than having one, and throw some Daemon Princes in there, and some Skullcrushers, and you'd be basically at 75% of the cookie cutter army list.

The BSB is especially helpful if your army is heavily Khorne (to control Frenzy), but won't often do a lot to save you from lost combats, as you likely won't have Steadfast/Stubborn and, if you lose combats, it will usually be by a larger margin due to being flanked, ect. I run min on a Daemonic Mount in my unit of Warriors and he is spectacular, especially if if you don't face a lot of cannons or have other targets for them.

As for Crom, his rules are in the End Times Nagash book. Make sure your opponents are alright with you using End Times stuff (but feel free to assure them that Crom is VERY mild, and not even close to on the level to the other End Times changes like the magic lores, changes to army percentages, ect).

He's a WS9 Chaos Lord for 230pts that has to issue and accept challenges (it has to be him), can choose each round if he wants to fight with HW&S (gains +2 armour save for a 2+ total and a 5++ Parry) or 2xHW (+3 extra attacks instead of +1). He's very underwhelming and will NOT unbalance your game in any way. He WILL need a unit to go in, of Infantry of course, and that unit is going to need to be able to put out damage and be resilient (because he can't help them with extra gear to make them survivable)

Wocattack42
04-01-2016, 20:48
Hi Ayin
Thanks for all the help and advice. I will probably run Crom in my unit of warriors with halberds and MoK as you suggested.

My main reason for playing 8th is due to my game group and to make a long story short, they probably dont feel like switching to yet anathor system even if it is still the same concept.

Just two quistions, What do you recommend when it comes to a Sorcerer in terms of level and lore that would best work for my army (is lore of Tzeentch any good?) and is there anything else that you feel is an absolute must have in a chaos army that I dont have yet? If so Im always up for suggestions, and conversions if nescessary.

Again thanks for all the help.

Ayin
04-01-2016, 21:03
Honestly, I play total Khorne, so I don't have any Casters. It's a very specific choice that was made based on some old gaming history and because I wanted an army that I could just have FUN with to keep going forward in editions.

The classic options are a Daemon prince with Lore of Death for the best point for point choice, or a Slaanesh caster on Slaanesh mount to go with some fast cav or off by himself and wreck the enemy battle lines and plans.

Honestly, I'd love to suggest to you to take a Warrior unit that is Undivided to fit with Crom, but that option is just trash. For extremely few points (often the cost of two more wariors in a full sized unit, or even one!) you can give the unit a Mark that will greatly increase their effectiveness. If nothing else, just give the Warrior unit the Mark of Slaanesh and paint them Undivided. I'd also love to suggest Chosen to you, and encourage you to try 'em out, but overall, for +5pts/model and with them coming out of Special they're just not often worth it.

Lore of Tzeentch is neat, and it can be good, but you've got to be careful that you don't accidentally improve a unit you need to fight later. A Wizard lord on Disk with 3++ is the classic way to run this guy, but if you need a Hero choice I suggest just sticking him with the Marauders and using them as a bunker for him.

Oh, and for what you MUST have, as I said, the best Chaos armies are built on Chariots, Chimera's, Daemon Princes, and Skullcrushers. You don't HAVE to put anything in though and you can still have a good game with them, Warriors isn't an army like Empire where most of the things that are 'not-as-good' are often so bad as to be useless to you in a game. Skullcrushers are just plain better than Knights point for point, but Knights aren't BAD. They're similarly better than Dragon Ogres, but those are also a neat unit.. Just avoid the Forsaken (their rules match their models in imagination and quality of design), the Warshrine (it's just not that good unless you are basing your whole army off of one unit of Chosen), the Giant (just never good in 8th), the Spawn (terrible) and the Slaughterbrute/Mutalith Vortex Beast and you'll be fine.

Also, feel free to experiment with Chaos. 8th is over, the games never going to change, so trying out builds that aren't the best is a good way to add some fun and variety. Horded Chaos Warriors is not a good choice, and against some armies it's terrible, but sometimes it's just flat out awesome.

Spacegoblin
07-01-2016, 16:50
Hi Ayin
Thanks for all the help and advice. I will probably run Crom in my unit of warriors with halberds and MoK as you suggested.

My main reason for playing 8th is due to my game group and to make a long story short, they probably dont feel like switching to yet anathor system even if it is still the same concept.

Just two quistions, What do you recommend when it comes to a Sorcerer in terms of level and lore that would best work for my army (is lore of Tzeentch any good?) and is there anything else that you feel is an absolute must have in a chaos army that I dont have yet? If so Im always up for suggestions, and conversions if nescessary.

Again thanks for all the help.

Hey Dude, I'm also just building out my Warriors list so while I definitely don't have Ayin's expertise (who's also helped me out with my list so thanks again btw!), when it comes to magic lores, i'm definitely leaning towards Nurgle over Tzeentch. From what I've read/watched online it seems like Tzeentch isn't the lore it once was. Probably depends on what your looking for but Nurgle seems to offer a nice mix of direct damage, hexes and buffs which are simple enough for me to grasp. I think with experience Tzeentch and Slaanesh will become a bit clearer to me as to their relative strengths but I ain't there yet! For the purposes of your theme you could go unmarked and use another lore or go Mark of Tzeentch with Lore of metal?

Good luck with the list man!