PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of Chaos 2500 points 8.5 edition fantasy

Spacegoblin
05-01-2016, 15:21
Hey Guys,

So I'm a newcomer to Warhammer and will be playing 8.5 edition fantasy. I'm planning on building my first army with Warriors of Chaos and was looking for some feedback from those seasoned players among you. I haven't played any games as of yet but have watched a few hundred battle reports online to try and get a feel for what different units can do and how I want to outfit them with marks and weapons etc. I've put together the provided list based on those models I want to collect first so it's probably not the most competitive list but I've tried to keep the force as solid as possible. The points have been calculated with BattleScribe so I'm hoping the files are up to date. It should come in bang on 2500 points.

Lords: Chaos sorcerer lord Lv4 (General), Mark of Tzeentch w. Lore of Metal. Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon and Talisman of Protection (330 pts).

Hero: Exalted Hero, BSB, Mark of Tzeentch, Shield, Glittering Scales and Sword of Striking (188 pts).

Core: 24 Warriors of Chaos, Shields, Mark of Tzeentch, Full command (438 pts).
18 Warriors of Chaos, Additional hand weapons, Mark of Khorne, Banner of Eternal Flame, Full command (364 pts).
Chaos Chariot, Mark of Nurgle (125 pts).
5 Marauder horsemen, Shields + Spears + Throwing axes, Mark of Slaanesh, Full command (125 pts)

Special: 10 Chaos Knights, Ensorcelled weapons, Mark of Tzeentch, Banner of Swiftness, Full command (450 pts).
9 Chaos Ogres, Great weapons, Mark of Nurgle, Full command (435 pts).

My general and BSB will be in with the unit of 24 WoC, MoT. Eventually I'd like to have the option of running a unit of Skullcrushers, a unit of Chosen and some Dragon Ogres but due to practicality and cost, for now, I'd like to give this one a go. Any input would be great!

Thanks!

askaval30
05-01-2016, 17:57
Hey Guys,

So I'm a newcomer to Warhammer and will be playing 8.5 edition fantasy. I'm planning on building my first army with Warriors of Chaos and was looking for some feedback from those seasoned players among you. I haven't played any games as of yet but have watched a few hundred battle reports online to try and get a feel for what different units can do and how I want to outfit them with marks and weapons etc. I've put together the provided list based on those models I want to collect first so it's probably not the most competitive list but I've tried to keep the force as solid as possible. The points have been calculated with BattleScribe so I'm hoping the files are up to date. It should come in bang on 2500 points.

Lords: Chaos sorcerer lord Lv4 (General), Mark of Tzeentch w. Lore of Metal. Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon and Talisman of Protection (330 pts).

Hero: Exalted Hero, BSB, Mark of Tzeentch, Shield, Glittering Scales and Sword of Striking (188 pts).

Core: 24 Warriors of Chaos, Shields, Mark of Tzeentch, Full command (438 pts).
18 Warriors of Chaos, Additional hand weapons, Mark of Khorne, Banner of Eternal Flame, Full command (364 pts).
Chaos Chariot, Mark of Nurgle (125 pts).
5 Marauder horsemen, Shields + Spears + Throwing axes, Mark of Slaanesh, Full command (125 pts)

Special: 10 Chaos Knights, Ensorcelled weapons, Mark of Tzeentch, Banner of Swiftness, Full command (450 pts).
9 Chaos Ogres, Great weapons, Mark of Nurgle, Full command (435 pts).

My general and BSB will be in with the unit of 24 WoC, MoT. Eventually I'd like to have the option of running a unit of Skullcrushers, a unit of Chosen and some Dragon Ogres but due to practicality and cost, for now, I'd like to give this one a go. Any input would be great!

Thanks!

Let's see, models and cost permitting I'd change:

Add a Disc to the Sorc lord and a Demonic Steed to your BSB... Lore of metal can be situational, but with that many Warriors some of the buff spells can be very handy

Drop the Horsemen, add dogs as cheap drops and redirectors

Khorne Warriors shine with Halberds, and statistically tend to be the better choice when dealing against a wider variety of threats

Knight bus.... i'd go with the Blasted standard if you can spare the points: helps protect your investment. Another neat (but costly) trick is the Ranger's Standard... charge through any terrain with impunity and surprise!

Never tried the Ogres... a fluffy, fun choice. perhaps go with Khorne instead of nurgle? that's 25 S6 attacks + impact hits and stomps, nothing to sneeze at!

hope that helps!

Spacegoblin
05-01-2016, 20:49
Thanks Askaval30, I might take your suggestion and go with my sorcerer on disc, although I might want to spent some more points on better armour etc. since he'll be a pretty tempting target for ranged units.

I really like WoC MoK with halberds as well but cost wise I don't think I can run them here. 25 flaming attacks should do against an opponents core units (I'm hoping).

Dogs are definitely cheaper but they seem to get wiped out pretty quickly and while obviously that saves the rest of the army from being shot at for a turn or two, I prefer the versatility of the fast cav option. Plus I love the models.

I'm going with ogres from watching ogre kingdom players online and a regiment of 9 seem to cause a lot of problems.

Thanks for the input once again!

Smooth Boy
05-01-2016, 21:24
I'm no expect at WoC (or even Fantasy for that matter) but as said above dogs make great screens for those two warrior blocks. Ogres aren't generally considered that great, dragon ogres are better but it's cool to see them in a list, especially such a large group. 10 Knights may also be overkill but I don't know, might be worth running them in two blocks of 5 on occasion. Skullcrushers might be worth a look at also, they'll tear anything a new ********.

Ayin
05-01-2016, 22:59
Thanks Askaval30, I might take your suggestion and go with my sorcerer on disc, although I might want to spent some more points on better armour etc. since he'll be a pretty tempting target for ranged units.

Giving him the 4++ BSB Ward with the MoT will give him about as much protection from shooting as he's able to get (and more than pretty much anyone else). BS based ranged weapons won't be very effective against him (T4, 3+), so you're really just looking for Ward Saves against War Machines.

I really like WoC MoK with halberds as well but cost wise I don't think I can run them here. 25 flaming attacks should do against an opponents core units (I'm hoping).

The Halberds are only 1pt/model more than the hand weapons, that's 18pts for the whole unit. Dropping the Banner of Eternal Flame nearly makes up for it, or if you really want to keep it, drop the Champion (especially if the unit is going to be unaccompanied by a character, that way you can use the whole unit against mounted characters and don't lose via challenge damage denial). They will perform SO much better against anything other than T2 and T7, and you actually get a bonus from the weapon option from your second rank (who is already losing out on upgrade effectiveness from Frenzy).

If you really just want to run Khorne with 2xHW because it looks awesome, then go for it, but they are not going to be in any way comparable to Halberds (something that made my super happy about 9th Age). Either way, you should try and fit Shields onto the unit. They pay for themselves if they save 1 wound from your unit.

Dogs are definitely cheaper but they seem to get wiped out pretty quickly and while obviously that saves the rest of the army from being shot at for a turn or two, I prefer the versatility of the fast cav option. Plus I love the models.

I also love the models, and run the Fast Cav. Their real role in the army is protecting Juggernaughts from getting stuck into combats they don't want or being flanks by preventing opposing units from being able to 'close the door', but they can be helpful other ways. I put them in because I like them, they are awesome in concept, and in-theory they seem like they should be good in certain match-ups. Even if that doesn't actually happen in game, they still look awesome :) (I run mine MoK with Flails).

Dogs are still EXTREMELY useful for the army, especially if you are hoping to run infantry units of Warriors. From protecting you against BS based shooting (though this is really only a theoretical danger in 8th) to helping ensure you don't auto-lose from opponents maneuverability advantage setting up charges. They die. That's all they do. They die to buy you time and position, which is what they're made for, though they can occassionally be helpful as a throw away charge unit to push fleeing units (especially ones breaking from combat) off the table without needing to use on of your combat blocks, or to intercept breaking or fleeing units. They are also helpful against suicide models, drawing out Fanatics, Mangler Squigs, ect (in-theory at least, if you play against O&G).

I'm going with ogres from watching ogre kingdom players online and a regiment of 9 seem to cause a lot of problems.

Honestly, Ogres are effective in their large units because of character support, allowing the second rank to throw out huge numbers of attacks while characters absorb damage (coming from a guy who uses Ogres out of OK armies). If you want to use them because you own them or like them, make it happen (that's the best reason to buy, convert, paint or run anything), but don't expect more from them than they can deliver.

Marks are tricky on them. The cost/unit is way down to mark them, even thought the cost/model is doubled, so it's not really expensive, but the marks are way less effective on them overall. MoK is nearly useless (if you want it, run them 4 wide, it increases the effectiveness of the mark given to them something like 30%), MoN IS helpful, because they suffer greatly from WS3, but it's not even remotely close to as good as it is on units that are ALREADY hit on 4's. MoT is pretty much a waste, no ability to give shields, no chance that a character is going to go with them with Ironcurse Icon, ect. Mark of Slaanesh is surprisingly helpful on them. At Ld7 (because no Ogre Characters to join them to help boost it) they are extremely prone to simple Panic, and that's a huge investment to see them run.

Spacegoblin
06-01-2016, 16:23
Hey Ayin, thanks for the input!

Yeah, to be honest I think I just liked the idea of having a core unit spitting out 4 attacks per man and I think I had in mind that they would be good against other core chaff units. Depending on who I was playing then I might swap these guys out for a unit with halberds. The list at the moment might not have enough of a hammer so this might go some ways towards this.

askaval30
06-01-2016, 18:16
don't forget the ability to fast reform your MoK warriors in battle to maximize attacks, I've forgotten this tactic way too often for comfort.. and it works wonders!

if you are dead set on the horsemen at least remove the full command and just keep the musician... feigned flight is the most useful ability fast cavalry has, and I doubt the banner or champion would do much to sway a battle (not to mention giving you 20 points you could use elsewhere)

and one last bit, in defense of MoK on the Ogres: a frenzied unit cannot panic ;)

...of course they can be charge-baited by opposing chaff (which is why dogs come in handy).

glad to see another fan of 8.5, I wish you the best of luck in your coming battles!

Ayin
06-01-2016, 19:19
Hey Ayin, thanks for the input!

Yeah, to be honest I think I just liked the idea of having a core unit spitting out 4 attacks per man and I think I had in mind that they would be good against other core chaff units. Depending on who I was playing then I might swap these guys out for a unit with halberds. The list at the moment might not have enough of a hammer so this might go some ways towards this.

I think the issue is that Chaos Warriors are naturally slow and expensive, so hoping to use them against naturally terrible enemy units is somewhere between a waste of their points investment and putting yourself at a disadvantage of manuever.

If you want to use Chaos Warriors as the Hammer (or even as A hammer) of your force, they are going to need to be able to fight effectively against T4, 5+ troops, and you are going to need to exert a LOT of board control. Usually an army like this would have a lot of firepower, but that's not available in a Warrior force (which is why you see mostly high speed units in most lists, chariots, monsters, ect). You can make up for this with lots of chaf (dogs), fast cav, normal cav and magical ranged threats. Even a fully tooled up unit of 18 Warriors with the Mark of Khorne and Halberds fold fast if hit on the flank, and often by a much less expensive unit, so you need to be able to hold up your enemies line and defend yours while you march inexorably forwards, bringing death and the glory of the northern wastes.

don't forget the ability to fast reform your MoK warriors in battle to maximize attacks, I've forgotten this tactic way too often for comfort.. and it works wonders!

This is absolutely key and something SO many people forget in 8th. Also don't forget that you aren't locked into any specific type of formation at deployment! Fighting Brets? Make your 6 wide units 5 wide to extend how long you'll have your ranks. Fighting another Chaos Force, or any other 25mm or 40mm troops? Consider putting your units wider than 6 to get more from each warrior. I've deoployed Empire hordes 12 wide just because I've faced off against horded Skaven or Goblins, and 6 extra attacks a turn can really help. I've also collapsed them down to 5 wide (even when the original purpose of the unit is damage) when they run up against an army a Horde is just not going to help against.

Change your units at deployment, and as you need to during the game. Quick Reform was a huge change in 8th, as well as reforming after combat, so try and get any advantage you can from it!

if you are dead set on the horsemen at least remove the full command and just keep the musician... feigned flight is the most useful ability fast cavalry has, and I doubt the banner or champion would do much to sway a battle (not to mention giving you 20 points you could use elsewhere)

Agreed completely with this. A unit of fast cav is a high risk investment, they either need to be very good, or very cheap, and the cheaper the better. This is why Empire fast cav is horrendous, so don't fall into that trap. Any time you "flee" as a charge reaction you're risking 20 extra points from Champ and Banner, and potentially risking the enemy gaining Banner points from a bad combat roll.

and one last bit, in defense of MoK on the Ogres: a frenzied unit cannot panic ;)

...of course they can be charge-baited by opposing chaff (which is why dogs come in handy).

This is true and big help. It's basically the ONLY reason I'd put MoK on the unit (the extra 3 or 4 attacks are just not worth it), but it requires your Ogres to have babysitting units to control their charges (if they're going to be away from your general and BSB). Another use for Hounds, which doubtless would quickly learn to follow the Ogres (at a safe distance) because of the carnage they spread and the raw meat and broken bones they leave in their wake.

Ayin
06-01-2016, 21:32
Just to add a bit to something touched on here,

Watching a Youtube battle report from one of my favourite channels (Oncebitten360) between Beastherds and Warriors (it's 9th Age, but the specifics don't actually matter), the Warriors player deployed his Chosen in 3 ranks of 6, despite going against wider frontage units of Beastmen (5 wide to horde sized). Deploying that unit wider would have granted more attacks in the inital combat with no loss, bringing more force to bear in the initial and most important round of combat.

Spacegoblin
07-01-2016, 16:25
I had originally wanted a unit of about 18 Chosen but for my initial list I've opted to go for a unit of 6 dragon ogres instead (dropping the 9 regular ogres). I can't justify spending 100 on a single unit of regular sized models, plus, I don't particularly love the models. They are a baddass unit though.

Ayin
07-01-2016, 19:21
Yeah, the actual GW Chosen unit really turned me off from them originally (though I like the concept, the art of them in the 8th ed rulebook in the Slaugther at Volganof is good). I'm fairly certain that Mantic (maybe? I forget which company right now) is releasing a new range of lizardmen and chaos warriors, and from what I've heard they look legit, so I'm keeping my eyes open until then.

Dragon Ogres are a neat unit that doesn't get played nearly enough, so I support their use! Plus, if you ever make the step to 9th, you'll find they are integrated much better into the list and function much better as well.

askaval30
07-01-2016, 19:27
I had originally wanted a unit of about 18 Chosen but for my initial list I've opted to go for a unit of 6 dragon ogres instead (dropping the 9 regular ogres). I can't justify spending 100 on a single unit of regular sized models, plus, I don't particularly love the models. They are a baddass unit though.

whoa... 6 Dogres.

I've sometimes used them in units of 3 in fluffy lists, they perform ok but are usually overshadowed by other unit choices we have... I've used them in 2x2 formation, and found them unwieldy. 6 Dogres is a unit with a massive footprint. on one hand it should hit like a ton of bricks, but I would be worried about the T, I and WS of the block. Not to mention being relatively vulnerable to poisoned shooting and warmachines... knights with the blasted standard and full command have more leadership, better armor and more maneuverability... not to mention being protected from warmachine fire.

Chosen are a solid choice, but require the presence of a warshrine to really shine. You can save on costs with relatively simple kitbashes using parts of the Knights sprue.

Either way I'd suggest you test all variants out via proxy or on a program like universal battle before committing to purchasing anything

so far it seems like elements of your army will be in contact a couple of rounds before your main blocks of infantry can join the battle... something worth considering.

Ayin
08-01-2016, 01:30
Yeah, somehow I didn't even notice or consider the "6" for the Dragon Ogres. That is a big unit. Four would be about as many wide as I'd want to try, but the bigger the unit the more you can concentrate your magic on them to boost them (which I would heavily suggest you do when you're putting that many points into the unit), and you can use them to shield your characters! You can also put a character in wit them (but of course can't protect that character, so if you're going to run into armies that can target him I'd suggest a gimmicky gear load-out).

GrandmasterWang
10-01-2016, 14:17
Congratulations on finally getting into Fantasy Space Goblin.

I generally think 2 units of 3 Dragon ogres will be more effective but a unit of 6 will look epic so I say just run with it and see how it goes. Your opponent will be petrified of it and likely do everything in their power to stop it getting good combat matchups so you can use this to your advantage! If you go with great weapons then the 18 strength 7 atracks the unit will bring can crump anything. Additional hand weapons and you will lose some of the second rank utility.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Spacegoblin
10-01-2016, 22:17
Thanks GrandmasterWang! Yeah to be honest part of running them as a single unit is in partly aesthetic. I have considered running them as individual groups of 3 Dragon Ogres each. I'll try them out either way and see what works. Thanks for the input on weaponry, I had originally thought about additional hand weapons but the extra strength and additional rank bonus is probably a better to utilize them as a single group. The psychological impact of the single unit is should also prove useful!

kwanchai
13-01-2016, 15:38
I feel like you are not using WoC's greatest strength to its fullest potential: characters. They have the best characters out there, don't be afraid of investing heavily in them, especially in 8.5th edition. I mean your character loadouts are still strong, because hell they are WoC, but not nearly as strong as they could be. For instance:

Chaos sorcerer lord Lv4 (General), Mark of Tzeentch w. Lore of Metal. Enchanted Shield, Dispel Scroll, Talisman of Preservation, Third Eye of Tzeentch on Disc of Tzeentch (400 pts)

Highly mobile lord that is basically unkillable by ranged/magic with a 1+/3++ rerollable save. 400 points, but you will never lose those points. The 30 points breath weapon is a good buy on him, gives the points back as soon as you first roast a chaff unit or turn the tide of an infantry battle into your favour with it. I like the choice of Metal on him, very underrated lore, imo the third best WoC has access to after Slaanesh and Death

Exalted Hero, BSB, Mark of Tzeentch, Great Weapon, Armour of Destiny, Scaled Skin on Barded Daemonic Mount (271 pts)

Quite mobile, very survivable with 3W T5 1+/3++, and puts out 4S7 + 3 S5 attacks (including Stomp). Sure, he costs like other races' lords, but he pretty much fights like them too, out of your hero slot.

(might be doubleposting, moderation ate my first comment, sorry if that happens)

Ayin
13-01-2016, 16:21
Well, SOME characters are WoC strengths, particularly Daemon Princes with MoN, and Sorcerors with MoT on discs with 3++ or MoS on fast cav, and the BSB in various forms. Chaos Lords are terrible investments, as are most non-bsb fighting heroes and DP's with MoK, and anything on a monster. One of the big failures of the Warriors book in 8th was the obvious superiourity of specific character builds.

That said, if one hasn't played them before, they're all new to you! So try out different options and enjoy. My BSB build evolved completely on it's own and I was super happy with it.

Spacegoblin
13-01-2016, 17:24
Thanks guys. Yeah, I've actually changed my list a few time since I posted the original thread so I expect this to continue! There are a lot of cool options, but I'm definitely leaning towards having my sorcerer and BSB mounted, either on a barded chaos steed or a on a juggernaut of Khorne in a unit of skullcrushers (in the case of the bsb). What do you guys think of running the chaos Warshrines in additional to a sorcerer (or sorcerer lord) as an additional magic option?

kwanchai
13-01-2016, 17:33
Well, SOME characters are WoC strengths, particularly Daemon Princes with MoN, and Sorcerors with MoT on discs with 3++ or MoS on fast cav, and the BSB in various forms. Chaos Lords are terrible investments, as are most non-bsb fighting heroes and DP's with MoK, and anything on a monster. One of the big failures of the Warriors book in 8th was the obvious superiourity of specific character builds.

That said, if one hasn't played them before, they're all new to you! So try out different options and enjoy. My BSB build evolved completely on it's own and I was super happy with it.

Slaaneshi Daemon Princes are pretty equal to nurglites actually. Better offense, a bit worse defense

Don't agree on Chaos Lords either, the 'Hortense' build is pretty much the best character WoC has. In a vacuum, sure DP's are better, provided you are not against cannons/light council, but if you take into account what is actually a problem for WoC, the Tzeentch Disc Lord solves each of those. Something like this:

Chaos Lord: Disc of Tzeentch, General, Mark of Tzeentch, Lance, Shield, Talismans of Preservation, Dragonhelm, Flaming breath, Third Eye of Tzeentch, Soul Feeder 403 pts

There are different builds ofc, with Great Weapon/Scaled Skin/etc, I just like to have that breath weapon. This guy solves all kinds of problems. White Lion Deathstar? Charge them with your lord, kill his wizards/characters in it while tarpitting that unit. Doombull trolls? Hortense. Warsphinx? Same. Blender Vampire Lord? He will beat it. All the while flying around, killing everything it charges, way more survivable with a 3++ rerollable, and costing like 75% of the cost of a kitted out DP (500-555 pts). Really the only issue with him in 8th was not having a point for a lvl4 as well, but in 8.5th that's not an issue anymore.

So overall I like these guys:

Nurgle DP
Slaanesh DP
Tzeentch Lord
Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord
Slaanesh Sorcerer Lord
Nurgle BSB
Tzeentch BSB
Scroll Caddy sorcerer with fire or metal

That's a pretty good variety in my opinion. A distinct lack of Khorne, but he makes up for it on warriors/chariots/juggers.

kwanchai
13-01-2016, 17:46
Thanks guys. Yeah, I've actually changed my list a few time since I posted the original thread so I expect this to continue! There are a lot of cool options, but I'm definitely leaning towards having my sorcerer and BSB mounted, either on a barded chaos steed or a on a juggernaut of Khorne in a unit of skullcrushers (in the case of the bsb). What do you guys think of running the chaos Warshrines in additional to a sorcerer (or sorcerer lord) as an additional magic option?

Actually I could see a jugger BSB working as well. The dangerous part is, they might redirect it bc of the frenzy, drawing him out of you battlelines thus taking out of hte BSB reroll range, but ofc being the BSB himself rerolling the test kind of mitigates that.

I'd suggest daemonic mount over chaos steeds in case of heroes. You gain an extra wound and toughness by mounting them on it, not to mention the better offensive capabilities.

Warshrines are fine, just make sure you get the champion upgrade in every unit possible if you take it, free daemon princes can be pretty good ;)

Ayin
13-01-2016, 18:39
BSB, even with MoK, is just wildly better on a Daemonic Mount than a Juggernaut. The main weakness of the BSB is that he's extremely vulnerable, with T4 and 2W for his cost. The Juggernaut gives him +2 armour and +1 wound, where the Daemonic Mount gives him that as well as the boost to T5 which is HUGE (and the shorter base gives him some extra protection against cannons, slim though it is).

With just some basic use of hounds (and/or fast cav) Frenzy isn't a problem that needs to be worried about, especially with the BSB there (that's pretty much the only reason to have a BSB in a Warriors list, besides preventing Panic). When your BSB is starting at T5, 3W, 2+, Fear and you've still got your full points in Magic to spend you're in a great position. From there it's not uncommon to just throw a shield and a 4++ on him and call it a day, but I'm a much bigger fan of builds including the Charmed Shield, a Dawnstone or Opal Amulet (the second if you're in a cannon heavy area), and the Ironcurse Icon (if you're going to be in a unit of Warriors).

Of course, even with the Daemonic Mount giving your BSB protection and making him into nearly a Lord fighter, putting him in a unit of Warriors is taking away his main benefit, which is speed. On the other hand, if you're actually going to FIELD Warriors in a Warriors army, you've already given up the best build of the list and it's speed, so you may as well do what you can to make the unit more effective.

The main thing the army needs from characters is magic (since it's got everything else in it's units), which is why Wizards and Daemon Princes are significantly better represented in lists than Lords (and because Lords don't get as much benefit from Monstrous Cav mounts as Heroes, their actual Monstrous mounts are terrible choices, they're way to expensive to slog around on foot, ect), who pretty much only exist as 'Crushers ('cause they're cool) and Tzeentch with their mandatory 3++ and discs (because GW apparently didn't learn anything from their Tzeentch Chosen in 7th).

From someone who actually ran all Khorne in the later half of 8th, when you take out the magic requirement on your character you pretty much just find yourself wishing your Daemon mounted BSB could be your general to save points. It DOES however free up Power Dice to use on your Shrines and such (Mutalith Vortex Beast), much like a Saurus led Lizardman army with it's Bound Spell monsters...but there're more than a few reasons why you just never saw either of those builds.

With the Warshrine, you're throwing your dice at a Bound Spell (and I say "Dice" because you're going to need to throw two for it to go off) that targets D3 units within 12". For that to be GOOD you're going to want three units in range of it with Champions to get the Eye of the Gods (because you want to get the absolute MOST out of that Bound Spell, because otherwise the Warshrine is terrible, with a low number of low Weapon Skill, low Strength attacks, no Impact Hits, no stomps, ect), and one of them is going to want to be Chosen (to boost their initial roll on the table using the "Favour of the Ruinous Powers" rule of the Warshrine), so it's worth bumping your unit of Warriors for them (and because of course you can use the same models). Because you're already investing in a unit of Chosen AND a Warshrine to make them good, putting a character in there with them gives you yet another target for the bound spell and makes the unit more formidable.

Of course, doing such pulls your Warrior points from Core, which is fine as you can easily fill it back up with Chariots who can easily keep pace with the Chosen, and Dogs, because you're going to need a lot of flak units to protect your extremely expensive investment.

That's a big, slow block you're setting up for your army, but with some good support and against the right opponents it can still be a solid game.