PDA

View Full Version : Start Collecting! box vs box

birdbath
06-01-2016, 15:27
Hi all,

A group of 4 mates are thinking about getting 4 different "Start Collecting!" boxes to get back into 40k (after 2 editions) and try another army. The idea is mainly a painting and modeling project with some gaming thrown in.

My question is, how do the boxes play against each box and do the new 40k rules support small games such as these?

Thanks,
BB

daveNYC
06-01-2016, 15:54
The rules would support the games, each box is coming with a formation that lets you field it as is. Whether 40k rules work well at the points level (which looks roughly in the 400-500 range) is more a personal question.

Ideally, and this is a stretch, the formations included will include bonuses and limitations that try and balance the boxes against each other.

Lord Damocles
06-01-2016, 17:20
They're not balanced points-wise, although you might find that the specific units help balance somewhat (I'm looking at you, Leman Russ).

birdbath
07-01-2016, 10:59
Thanks for the replies.

Also do you think the daemon AoS boxes will get a 40k formation so you can play in both systems?

Thanks,
BB

nagash66
07-01-2016, 12:12
Thanks for the replies.

Also do you think the daemon AoS boxes will get a 40k formation so you can play in both systems?

Thanks,
BB

If this was the case i would assume they would have made mention of it and put the box in the 40k section of the website too.

gwarsh41
07-01-2016, 18:49
Unfortunately, Daemons in 40k have no formations.

MajorWesJanson
08-01-2016, 00:31
Unfortunately, Daemons in 40k have no formations.

They could have easily invented some for the boxes.
On the other hand, both Daemon boxes are perfect to get models for summoning with Maelfic demonology.

daveNYC
11-01-2016, 18:21
Picked up the Space Marine and Necron boxes. The formation rules are... interesting.

Necron formation rule is moar reanimation, SM one gets moar firepower.

These things should have come out December 9th, not January 9th.

Heartbreakridge
15-01-2016, 14:00
Hi all new to 40K so please bare with me, I looking for a good starting list of a 1500 point space marine army, I have a razor back and a stormtalon but wanted to get some guidence on troops. any help appreciated

Rogue Star
15-01-2016, 14:45
Hi all new to 40K so please bare with me, I looking for a good starting list of a 1500 point space marine army, I have a razor back and a stormtalon but wanted to get some guidence on troops. any help appreciated

You've got your Codex? Because it's either a choice of Tacticals or Scouts for troops. Most will recommend Tactical Marines.

A.T.
15-01-2016, 15:33
You've got your Codex? Because it's either a choice of Tacticals or Scouts for troops. Most will recommend Tactical Marines.Bikes are also worth consideration in that list.

Asura Varuna
16-01-2016, 00:28
For those interested, this list copied from Shas'len'ra on the advanced Tau tactica may give some indication of the saving from purchasing starter boxes compared to the models individually:

T1. Tau : $56
T1. Skitarii: $56
2. Tyranids: $48.75
3. Space Marines: $32.25
4. Necrons: $29.25
5. AM: $22
T6: Dark Eldar: $0
T6: Blood Angels: $0

Some of the savings, especially in the Mechanicus box are inflated due to the inclusion of very expensive individual models (Tech Priest Magus), but there's definitely some value in most of the boxes provided you can make use of the models it contains. Tau seems to be excellent value considering how expensive the Firewarrior teams have become.

TheBearminator
16-01-2016, 19:41
What? Dark Eldar and Blood Angels? They haven't even got a bundle yet?

Treadhead_1st
16-01-2016, 21:20
What? Dark Eldar and Blood Angels? They haven't even got a bundle yet?

The Dark Eldar have a weird Start Collecting bundle (note the lack of ! in the name) that is the Codex, a Haemonculus and some Wracks with absolutely no cost saving.

...or at least they did, I cannot find it on the webstore now. Which is good, it was stupid to have to very similarly named products, some of which are deals and others which aren't.

TheBearminator
16-01-2016, 22:53
The Dark Eldar have a weird Start Collecting bundle (note the lack of ! in the name) that is the Codex, a Haemonculus and some Wracks with absolutely no cost saving.

...or at least they did, I cannot find it on the webstore now. Which is good, it was stupid to have to very similarly named products, some of which are deals and others which aren't.
Well, Dark Eldar players aren't really used to getting anything for free.

Novacane
16-01-2016, 23:20

Oh the Codex and Gubbinz "bundles" never save you money. Hell it could be a quid cheaper and they would at least sell.

Treadhead_1st
17-01-2016, 11:25
Well, Dark Eldar players aren't really used to getting anything for free.

I dunno, I love my Dark Eldar Megaforce I got several years ago - 20 Wyches, 10 Kabalites, 9 Reaver Jetbikes, 5 Scourges, 1 Ravager, 1 Raider, 1 Venom for 130. I can't remember what the boxes cost then, but at the moment that lot would cost 213.50 (which seems roughly right, I think I convinced myself to by it as it was ~84 off - maybe it was only 64 if the kits have increased in price the last few years).

TheBearminator
17-01-2016, 11:38
I dunno, I love my Dark Eldar Megaforce I got several years ago - 20 Wyches, 10 Kabalites, 9 Reaver Jetbikes, 5 Scourges, 1 Ravager, 1 Raider, 1 Venom for 130. I can't remember what the boxes cost then, but at the moment that lot would cost 213.50 (which seems roughly right, I think I convinced myself to by it as it was ~84 off - maybe it was only 64 if the kits have increased in price the last few years).
Mmm... Megaforce. Yeah, I miss those too. Got one for orks and one for their fantasy buddies I think. With an awesome limited standard bearer that I for some reason still haven't painted. :)

Treadhead_1st
17-01-2016, 14:01
Mmm... Megaforce. Yeah, I miss those too. Got one for orks and one for their fantasy buddies I think. With an awesome limited standard bearer that I for some reason still haven't painted. :)

I've still not made any of my Megaforce, I've never felt my painting skills are up to the challenge, so I work on other projects first and then I invariably drift out of the hobby and my skills atrophy again. It was a shame that it didn't come with any limited-edition models like other boxes, but I am fairly sure the 65% discount is one of the best in any GW box to date.

Out of interest I looked into the % savings of the new boxes:

Skitarii 42%
Tau Empire 43% (using Cadre Fireblade cost for Ethereal)
Space Marines 30% (using Terminator Librarian cost for Terminator Captain)
Necrons 28%
Khorne Daemons 35%
Tyranids 39%
Nurgle Daemons 41%
Astra Militarum 27%

Some of those are really good value!

I also realise I am wildly off-topic.

Hi all,

A group of 4 mates are thinking about getting 4 different "Start Collecting!" boxes to get back into 40k (after 2 editions) and try another army. The idea is mainly a painting and modeling project with some gaming thrown in.

My question is, how do the boxes play against each box and do the new 40k rules support small games such as these?

Thanks,
BB

The rules will support the small games absolutely fine. There are typical ways of building an army that these sets don't quite meet (you would need an extra Troops choice for each of the armies playing that way), however, the boxes come with special "formation" rules which mean that each box is essentially its own perfectly legal independent army. I believe that someone calculated in another thread all the boxes are approximately 400 points (give or take wargear options). With the savings mentioned above this is a fantastic way for a group of friends to start the game, and once you add another Troops choice and an additional unit later down the line you should all have quite fine 750 point armies, not only giving you the ability to play with the standard Force Organisation rules but resulting in forces that should be quite tactically flexible and have plenty of room to expand as you start playing larger games.