PDA

View Full Version : AoS the good news spreading

broxus
07-01-2016, 22:28
Heya all you AoS fans,

I just wanted to make sure all of you know that things are really starting to pick up steam recently and wanted to give you ways to connect or find ways to enhance your games. The player base in many areas is steadily growing with new players and many old players are starting to excited again about playing with thier old armies on round bases. I wanted to give you all the locations of active forums, podcasts, video battle reports, Ect that come to mind so you won't be left out.

Go to this site first it has everything you could want AoS listed and dwarfs my list: http://ageofsigmar.org/ or check out this list of twitter links: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yiJru0k03pxXtD3W7NLRtOgK5P-0tRcbruJPIrzeJeI/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Some highlights I frequent are:

AoS Podcasts:
Heelanhammer
Garagehammer
Bad Dice Podcast
Facehammer
The Black Sun Podcast
Mortal Realms

AoS YouTube channels:
TabletopMinis
Miniwargaming
Moarhammer 88
Guerrilla Minatures
Andy2D6
Mc1gamer
Hooves of Doom
Warhammer Weekly

Comp systems you can search for that really enchances/balances gameplay:
Clash Comp and AoS independent Pool System
SDK
PPC
Many others on the forums and being used by groups and events

New battle tomes:
Chaos Dreadhold
Stormcast Eternals
Khorne Bloodbound
Seraphon
Everchosen
"Soon Duardin Fyreslayers"

Websites/forums:
Warseer
Dakkadakka
Bell of Lost Souls
The Warhammer Forum

Books:
Umm lots now in black library I won't list them all

Events:
Lots and lots of events the best place to look is "The Warhammer Forum" for them.
Two of the Larger ones Adepticon (US) and South Coast GT (UK)

Models:
Games Workshop has release multiple new $85\50 starter armies at very reduced prices. Go check out their website and then find your LFGS who will stack additional discounts on the already fantastic prices.
New Dwarf Slayer range is being released
New Khorne models released with AoS launch
New Stormcast Eternal Faction released with AoS Launch

Also fell free to search out multiple groups on Facebook and Twitter #AoS

Spiney Norman
07-01-2016, 22:31
Thanks, it's good to have it all in one place, I really had no idea there were so many podcasts and YouTube channels dedicated to the game.

broxus
07-01-2016, 22:49
Thanks, it's good to have it all in one place, I really had no idea there were so many podcasts and YouTube channels dedicated to the game.

The Podcast have really grown for AoS in the last two months with many old ones deciding to move to AoS over other systems.

The battle reports and YouTube channels have also recently been putting out some stellar reports. Some of them also have other games covered such as 40k battle reports and topics.

With all the content it's very hard to keep up with it and pretty easy to get excited. I'm looking forward to going to a AoS tournament this weekend with my son.

Commodus Leitdorf
07-01-2016, 23:06
Yeah I really enjoy Guerrilla Miniature Gaming youtube stuff and I initially got into it because of their AoS Battle Reports. Good stuff there.

Ayin
08-01-2016, 00:04
Garagehammer is a pretty good podcast for anyone who hasn't heard it before and wants a show that's willing to put in an hour or two listening to fans get excited about and reading from game material.

GrandmasterWang
08-01-2016, 03:52
This is a good initiative Broxus. I'd like to add that regarding AOS background the 'Prisoner of the Black Sun' audio drama has good reviews so for someone looking to an AOS audio drama (as opposed to an audio book) this would be a good place to start.

I also managed to get in before the negativity :)

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Cheeslord
08-01-2016, 08:07
I have noticed this forum becoming - very slightly - less negative towards AoS as time passes. Got to be a good thing really...

Mark.

Tarquinius
08-01-2016, 08:36
I also managed to get in before the negativity :)

And then you baited the hook. *sighs*

Allen
08-01-2016, 08:40
Good post Broxus, thanks. As Spiney Norman said it's quite good having that kind of info all in one single thread...it's easier to consult for updates and/or link to people interested into knowing something about AoS.

Sedge
08-01-2016, 12:15
You should add the Mortal Realms to your podcast list. It's fairly new but a very professional well constructed podcast with three hosts that are passionate about the hobby. Particularly like their indepth fluff reviews.

MLP
08-01-2016, 15:26
I don't want to overshadow your work but there's an excellent online resource that does this already.

http://ageofsigmar.org

It has sections for everything you've mentioned with links where needed.

I would particularly mention the Twitter document(link below), Twitter is booming with AoS right now and this document has lists of good ones to follow.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.google.com/url?q%3Dhttps://docs.google.com/document/d/1yiJru0k03pxXtD3W7NLRtOgK5P-0tRcbruJPIrzeJeI/edit?usp%253Dsharing%26amp;sa%3DD%26amp;usg%3DAFQj CNG3CWvu-_F0d1K05QyzF5WdtE8ULw&sa=D&ust=1452273809356000&usg=AFQjCNE7e91LVO4vJ-jGIb28ibYG9C3O5A

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kyriakin
08-01-2016, 15:58
I used to like Sustainable Center, but they seem to have gone Malifaux or some other such game...

SuperHappyTime
08-01-2016, 17:07
I used to like Sustainable Center, but they seem to have gone Malifaux or some other such game...

Ant did, think he's part of The 9th Age team though.

The list is missing Vince Venturella's Youtube Channel. Can't be a bigger AoS supporter out there.

StealthKnightSteg
08-01-2016, 19:49
Also missing from the AoS directory and this post: The forums dedicated to specific armies.
Atleast warhammer-empire has a dedicated subsection small force of people but pretty active and Lustria-online also has a strong subsection going for AoS's Seraphon. And I know Bugman's also has a subsection devoted for AoS but not familiar with the group there and how strong or positive it all is.

broxus
08-01-2016, 21:06
Ant did, think he's part of The 9th Age team though.

The list is missing Vince Venturella's Youtube Channel. Can't be a bigger AoS supporter out there.

His show is called Warhammer Weekly which I listed

Col. Tartleton
08-01-2016, 21:20

Yeah he's not doing Age of Sigmar but he's doing Warhammer still, well Ninth Age.

Darth Alec
08-01-2016, 22:19
Lustria-Online has a decent Seraphon section? Huzzah. That's a great forum, but in the early days of AoS it sorta fizzled, so I stopped going.

Lots of good stuff here. Just listened to an episode of The Mortal Realms. They need some polish, but they're really good so far. Much better than Garagehammer was in its first episodes :p

rushrush
09-01-2016, 12:01
Woah these links are awesome, thanks for posting.

veterannoob
09-01-2016, 12:15
I echo the Mortal Realms podcast, not just because 2/3 of them are my gaming group back home (but because their fluff attention is usually the smaller bits of info or short stories Garagehammer doesn't cover). This is a fine list above, everybody already said why. :)

(sorry) Shameless self-promotion: I interviewed the guys from Heelanhammer and Mortal Realms for next weekend's Combat Phase ep 128 podcast episode on contemporary AoS (now, 6 months later and why you should play) and it was fascinating to hear how their interests in AoS developed and feeds the content for their shows. :)

Darth Alec
09-01-2016, 16:58
I echo the Mortal Realms podcast, not just because 2/3 of them are my gaming group back home (but because their fluff attention is usually the smaller bits of info or short stories Garagehammer doesn't cover). This is a fine list above, everybody already said why. :)

(sorry) Shameless self-promotion: I interviewed the guys from Heelanhammer and Mortal Realms for next weekend's Combat Phase ep 128 podcast episode on contemporary AoS (now, 6 months later and why you should play) and it was fascinating to hear how their interests in AoS developed and feeds the content for their shows. :)

Do post a link to that when it's up. Sounds fascinating.

Kyriakin
10-01-2016, 09:48
I enjoyed the having the recent Paint & Chat (mostly Ant and the awesome Vince, but others later) in the background while I was working yesterday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgMo324xHl8

Not just AoS, but just the whole scene in general (AoS, 9th, 8th, KoW, Malifaux, etc.).

@hobgoblinclub
10-01-2016, 18:17
Finally...almost...deleted Tapatalk from my phone so I could be free of Warseer forever...and then I found this post! Wow! No negativity!

We're loving AoS (more than 8th - whisper it). The rage is understandable (I was raging at first). I can't believe it's gone on this long though. It's great to see AoS beginning to pick up at last. I heard Byron from Element Games on the Facehammer podcast say they've seen a definite increase in sales recently. I've certainly bought shed loads more than usual.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

duffybear1988
11-01-2016, 13:40
I have noticed this forum becoming - very slightly - less negative towards AoS as time passes. Got to be a good thing really...

Mark.

Na, most were just lucky enough to squeeze into the last lifeboats on the Titanic. Nice band you got here, shame the water's so cold ;)

I'm sorry Leo, there's only room for Kate on my floating door...

broxus
14-01-2016, 11:02
Wow, seeing some of the links I was given of more resources. I really never realized how much AoS stuff there is. Honestly, it has become somewhat massive and I can say I can for sure that I am seeing some massive recent growth.

Darth Alec
14-01-2016, 11:14
Finally...almost...deleted Tapatalk from my phone so I could be free of Warseer forever...and then I found this post! Wow! No negativity!

We're loving AoS (more than 8th - whisper it). The rage is understandable (I was raging at first). I can't believe it's gone on this long though. It's great to see AoS beginning to pick up at last. I heard Byron from Element Games on the Facehammer podcast say they've seen a definite increase in sales recently. I've certainly bought shed loads more than usual.

There's definitely an increase in AoS-positivity outside of the major forums. Podcasts, FB and twitter are really getting into the game in ways people couldn't understand during the launch.

Commodus Leitdorf
14-01-2016, 12:11

Yeah I think everyone has gone through their stages of grief...or just moved on to other games. I mean I agree with all the criticisms people have with AoS and am sympathetic to them, I just don't see the point on beating up on people who enjoy it. AoS is not Warhammer. It's not a Mass fantasy battle game, it's a Skirmish RPG miniature game. I like RPG games so I have no beef with AoS.

That being said, if I want my mass combat fix I just play 9th Age.

Voss
14-01-2016, 12:36
So... what elements in the rules or background of AoS supports this RPG idea? Compare and contrast with other games if you like. I'm honestly curious where this impression comes from, because to me AoS feels purely mechanical- you roll dice until the win threshold is passed.

Choombatta
14-01-2016, 12:43
So... what elements in the rules or background of AoS supports this RPG idea? Compare and contrast with other games if you like. I'm honestly curious where this impression comes from, because to me AoS feels purely mechanical- you roll dice until the win threshold is passed.

With the focus on narrative driven games. That gives AoS a much more RPG feel than running Battleline over and over again, just with different army compositions.

aprilmanha
14-01-2016, 12:45
I think a better term is it is a Mini-Mass Skirmish game, since it is aimed at 100 model Armies (Hence the Mini-Mass) and its Skirmish, for obvious reasons.
Its not an RPG in what I would consider the term though, since you cannot customise the Army beyond which units you take (Like every other Wargame ever)

I think for anything to be an RPG you would need Character creation rules, otherwise the term RPG is to generic and loses meaning, unless you feel that every wargame also is an RPG.

Mini-Mass Skirmish is a better fit I think.

Voss
14-01-2016, 12:50
With the focus on narrative driven games.
Yeah, ok. Where is that? Is it hiding somewhere on page 3 between kill x% of models and sudden death wins?

I know the gates of antares rulebook has narrative battles, as does the old WFB rulebook. What makes AoS different here (aside from narrative battles not actually being present in the rulebook)?

I'm actually quite serious. Other games actually talk about narrative driven games in the books or in their advertising. Where does AoS even talk about narrative stuff? Or even mention it?

Denny
14-01-2016, 12:58
Yeah, ok. Where is that? Is it hiding somewhere on page 3 between kill x% of models and sudden death wins?

I think its just self evident.

I don't think Pictionary, Charades, or Cranium specify that they party games designed to played in relaxed atmosphere.
Its just pretty obvious that trying to play these games in a cutthroat competitive manner is never going to work.

IMO of course.

Spiney Norman
14-01-2016, 13:05

The very fact that there is background material and a developing storyline through the novels and hardback books surely suggests there is a bit more to it than pure mechanics, plus any game where you have to assemble and paint your models before playing is more than just a game. I'm not sure where this idea comes from that it's somehow 'invalid' to play a game in any way that isn't explicitly spelled out in the rule book, I mean neither the 8th ed WFB or 7th ed 40k rule book mention tournements, but those kind of events have been happily going for years.

aprilmanha
14-01-2016, 13:17
Indeed, AOS is as Narrative as any other Wargame.
Its a Genre that lends itself well to Narrative.

While I don't think AOS is more Narrative then any other Wargame, if the player and audience are having fun it's not an issue.

People all play these games in the way that is most fun to them... (PUG/Friends only/Narrative/torny etc)

Choombatta
14-01-2016, 13:38

I know the gates of antares rulebook has narrative battles, as does the old WFB rulebook. What makes AoS different here (aside from narrative battles not actually being present in the rulebook)?

I'm actually quite serious. Other games actually talk about narrative driven games in the books or in their advertising. Where does AoS even talk about narrative stuff? Or even mention it?

Looking at the core rule books for each (the hard back books), the only 8th edition scenario that had any sort of narrative to it was Watchtower.
Every one of the AoS ones have narrative to them.

malisteen
14-01-2016, 13:41
AoS's narrative focus comes not from doing narrative stuff any better than other games (including WHFB), but in being deliberately difficult to play in any other style. I guess you could say that by removing points, they remove the distractions of tournament-style, pitched battle pick up games? Sort of like how if someone split their time between running and writing poetry, they might focus more on writing poetry if you broke their legs?

aprilmanha
14-01-2016, 13:48
Ok Ok the idea has been gotten over.

I think its time to leave the thread for people who would like to highlight new or improving AOS Podcasts and battle channels, rather then us trying to derail this again :)

I think if we need to continue this subject lets make a new thread on the matter

Dosiere
14-01-2016, 14:00
Narrative? I'm assuming that means more narrative than other wargames? I can see how someone who has bought most or all of the AoS material so far would think that way. If you have the new minis, have bought the campaign books and played through them, listen to the audio books, etc.... ESPECIALLY someone who is used to playing mostly GW games, like WFB or 40K, would feel this way.

I think the reason someone outside looking in can't see it is because it's not in the main rules, the warscrolls, and the game is missing just about every other actual narrative/RPG game mechanic ... like ever. When Voss was just asking about it, he was clearly referring to the mechanics of the game. Where is the customization? The character advancement? The dynamic campaigns where you earn XP, loot, become more powerful, the cooperative play where a group of players are on the same side fighting the evil (or good) army of whatever, etc...? Compared to a game like DnD, Pathfinder, even board games like Descent calling AoS an RPG is understandably confusing.

My point is that it's not clear from glancing at the game that that's in any way how the game is designed to play. It's a reasonable question, and not a personal attack.

My personal take on why people define it as narrative is that the game is meant to be played using the scenarios in the books, period ( or ones you make up, obviously). Voss, don't make the mistake of thinking that the 4-page rules are meant to be a template for a battleline game over and over and that's the way this game is meant to be played. It's not. If you really want to see how the game is designed, find someone with the starter set and play through the scenarios in there. You'll see that compared to AoS "out of the box (ie the 4 page rules) acting like a pitched battle generator the game is much, much better that way - using the scenarios with predefined forces.

Dosiere
14-01-2016, 14:09
Looking at the core rule books for each (the hard back books), the only 8th edition scenario that had any sort of narrative to it was Watchtower.
Every one of the AoS ones have narrative to them.

Yes, but! Remember that GW released zero scenarios for free. So all these people trying the game are using just the 4-page rules and playing pitched battles, basically. Essentially AoS weakest point is the point GW decided to showcase for free. Again, looking at just the free rules (which a new person or a veteran trying it out are doing), how is someone suppose to know what you just wrote is a thing?

Also, I've always seen the generic scenarios in WFB, KoW, 40K, etc... as templates for forging your own narrative rather than playing through a set campaign as AoS does. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. In fact one thing I was really, really hoping was in the first AoS sourcebook were some great tools on creating your own campaigns and scenarios rather than just using the ones they have, and some real battle line rules so people could play quick one off games easily. Something like a GM guide, sort of.

aprilmanha
14-01-2016, 14:11
Yes, but! Remember that GW released zero scenarios for free. So all these people trying the game are using just the 4-page rules and playing pitched battles, basically. Essentially AoS weakest point is the point GW decided to showcase for free. Again, looking at just the free rules (which a new person or a veteran trying it out are doing), how is someone suppose to know what you just wrote is a thing?

Also, I've always seen the generic scenarios in WFB, KoW, 40K, etc... as templates for forging your own narrative rather than playing through a set campaign as AoS does. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. In fact one thing I was really, really hoping was in the first AoS sourcebook were some great tools on creating your own campaigns and scenarios rather than just using the ones they have, and some real battle line rules so people could play quick one off games easily. Something like a GM guide, sort of.

A GM guide would be nice but I think this is a topic for another thread maybe?

Dosiere
14-01-2016, 14:17
Maybe? I was just responding to already ongoing conversation about the narrative qualities of AoS not trying to start my own topic though.

aprilmanha
14-01-2016, 15:27
I think this thread is more about the Narrative of people creating AOS content online and sharing it with others :)
Our little conversation on AOS's narrative story telling qualities are a bit off topic for that.
Fine for a Post or 2 but I can see this train derailing if it keeps going, and not brought back on track.

Commodus Leitdorf
14-01-2016, 22:24
I brought it up more mostly because the narrative possibilities with AoS give a lot more options for content that can later be shared. The scenarios are a good way of creating narratives and linked campaigns.
If I were to bring out my old Generals Compendium I can see how you can build a whole campaign quite easily. If X opponent manages to win the scenario do Y Scenario next, so on and so forth.

There are certainly plenty of possibilities for various things to do if you have the opponents willing to help build a world/campaign.

Sharkbelly
15-01-2016, 06:30
There are certainly plenty of possibilities for various things to do if you have the opponents willing to help build a world/campaign.

Agreed. This has always been the way I have enjoyed warhammer the most. I know some folks who trot out the same armies and play the same games week after week, but it's not for me.

@hobgoblinclub
15-01-2016, 12:34
Speaking of narrative, does anyone know of a effective way of creating an ongoing campaign? We'd like some sort of mechanic (hex grid of territory?) rather than just a tagged on storyline.

Folomo
15-01-2016, 14:50
You can use "blood in the badlands" as a basis.
It is a campaign about conquering an ancient artifact/structure on the badlands through a year.
At the start of your campaign you generate three named characters who will lead your armies in battle. They can get artifact to improve their prowess and suffer injuries to dimish it too.
Each turn is a month and each season has its own special effect (snowstorms in winter can block LoS for example) and at the ends of each season you also play a special scenario to try to conquest certain special locations.
The objective is to get as many relics as possible by the end of the year, and the one who does will have to try to defend a flying fortress against the most successful generals.
We played it and it on 8th and was a blast. I am sure you can change it a bit to make it work in AoS.
The lack of upgrade to characters is probably the main problem.

ihavetoomuchminis
15-01-2016, 20:14

Isnt there a rule in the AoS rules that gives benefits to your general after each battle? Why not apply the rule to all characters?

Darth Alec
15-01-2016, 22:22
I've used the old Lustria campaign book to make some easy campaigns. Very straight forward, and some excellent reading.

Spiney Norman
15-01-2016, 23:19
You can use "blood in the badlands" as a basis.
It is a campaign about conquering an ancient artifact/structure on the badlands through a year.
At the start of your campaign you generate three named characters who will lead your armies in battle. They can get artifact to improve their prowess and suffer injuries to dimish it too.
Each turn is a month and each season has its own special effect (snowstorms in winter can block LoS for example) and at the ends of each season you also play a special scenario to try to conquest certain special locations.
The objective is to get as many relics as possible by the end of the year, and the one who does will have to try to defend a flying fortress against the most successful generals.
We played it and it on 8th and was a blast. I am sure you can change it a bit to make it work in AoS.

I'd be fairly easy to tweak stat lines to represent advancements or give access to some of the special rules present in your characters given faction, or you could just pinch something from GW's path to glory AoS system.

Sharkbelly
16-01-2016, 02:04
Here's something I scratched together a while back:

Age of Sigmar Hero Quests:
1. Normal Age of Sigmar rules for moving, charging, casting spells, etc.
2. Each player chooses two 5-wound heroes to be his or her characters. For a Warbands game, each player also chooses 15 points worth of rank and file models as well.
3. Every time a hero or henchman group causes a number of wounds equal to twice its starting value (i.e. ten for an empire hero, etc.) it gains an advance. See the table below for details.
4. Heroes can also gain points by accomplishing quests, finding traps, etc.
5. Terrain features have the same effect as listed in the core rules.
6. Climbing and jumping are resolved by rolling under a model’s movement score.
7. Roll bravery or less on 2d6 for courage tests, spot checks, etc.

Advancements:
Fleet (+1 movement)
Accurate (+1 to hit with one weapon)
Deadly (+1 to wound with 1 weapon)
Dodge (+1 save)
Arcane (+1 to cast spell)
Long Shot (+50% range to one attack)

Treasure:
Magic weapons—re-roll misses
Magic armor—re-roll missed saves
Spellbooks—contain specific spells
Potion of Healing—each one heals d3 wounds
Potion of Swiftness—add extra d6 for run
Potion of Flying—model may make a fly move

Sharkbelly
16-01-2016, 02:07
I think this allows for some interesting questing or story lines, or could be used in a group for warbands fighting each other.

It gets around the "one goblin is not equal to one greatsword" problem because leaders would bring their best soldiers on quests, not some rank and file dudes.

What do you all think?

Niall78
16-01-2016, 10:44
I think this allows for some interesting questing or story lines, or could be used in a group for warbands fighting each other.

It gets around the "one goblin is not equal to one greatsword" problem because leaders would bring their best soldiers on quests, not some rank and file dudes.

What do you all think?

What's the point? There are already a plethora of great dungeon crawler or war band style games on the market. A lot have great rule-sets, allow experience progression, have full campaign play, allow solo play, link multiple expansions together to add more to the base systems and many are available in the sub-50 price range.

Everything from Frostgrave, D&D boardgames, Decent, Dungeon Saga, Small World, Mage Knight and many many more. Trying to shoe-horn AoS into a game it isn't is a waste of time when dozens of products already on the market do the job better and cheaper.

Spiney Norman
16-01-2016, 11:13

What do you all think?

Sounds really promising

What's the point? There are already a plethora of great dungeon crawler or war band style games on the market. A lot have great rule-sets, allow experience progression, have full campaign play, allow solo play, link multiple expansions together to add more to the base systems and many are available in the sub-€50 price range.

Everything from Frostgrave, D&D boardgames, Decent, Dungeon Saga, Small World, Mage Knight and many many more. Trying to shoe-horn AoS into a game it isn't is a waste of time when dozens of products already on the market do the job better and cheaper.

The point is that those games you mentioned have zero uptake in my local area whereas AoS does, and wargaming on your own is not really what I want from my hobby. AoS works well for that kind of game and has a superior model range plus I don't have to work hard to convince a bunch of people to start a new game they'd need to buy everything for. It's always cheaper to play a game you already own everything for.

75hastings69
16-01-2016, 11:17
. AoS works well for that kind of game and has a superior model range .....

How exactly does AoS work well for dungeoncrawling? of the 4 pages I've seen there is ZERO mention of dungeoncrawling let alone rules for it?

Also how Does AoS have a superior model range? It has Sigmarines, Khorne, Old Lizrdmen, and Fyreslayers - hardly makes for a varied encounter system..... unless you mean of course WFB and GW have a superior model range? ;)

*EDIT, it also has that nice Tzeentch character.

Spiney Norman
16-01-2016, 11:25
How exactly does AoS work well for dungeoncrawling? of the 4 pages I've seen there is ZERO mention of dungeoncrawling let alone rules for it?

Also how Does AoS have a superior model range? It has Sigmarines, Khorne, Old Lizrdmen, and Fyreslayers - hardly makes for a varied encounter system..... unless you mean of course WFB and GW have a superior model range? ;)

I'm talking about any models that can be found in the AoS section of the GW webstore ;) between us our gaming group has access to sizeable armies of every WFB/AoS faction which means it's very easy to run any kind of dungeon crawler style game with any type or quantity of enemies.

I've also said numerous times that just because something is not explicitly spelled out in the rule book does not mean you can't do it or that is impossible

Niall78
16-01-2016, 11:33
Please explain Spiney how a four page skirmish game with zero rules for dungeon crawling, experience generation, encounter generation and campaign progression is better than dungeon crawling games designed specifically with dungeon crawling in mind.

You are effectively saying a game with no rules for dungeon crawling is a good game for anyone interested in dungeon crawling. This is incredible fuzzy logic in defence of AoS.

ScruffMan
16-01-2016, 11:34
I know he called it hero quests but is it really a dungeon crawler anyway. Not sure how much 15points of troops is mind you. Seems more like a more skirmishy AoS game based around the heroes with some campaign rules. Looks fun!

Spiney Norman
16-01-2016, 11:47
Please explain Spiney how a four page skirmish game with zero rules for dungeon crawling, experience generation, encounter generation and campaign progression is better than dungeon crawling games designed specifically with dungeon crawling in mind.

You are effectively saying a game with no rules for dungeon crawling is a good game for anyone interested in dungeon crawling. This is incredible fuzzy logic in defence of AoS.

It's not really a 'defence of AoS', it's more a defence of gamers right to be innovative in their hobby without someone coming along and saying 'err, no, you can't use this system for that kind of game, you should make your gaming group spend a ton of cash on a completely different game system because in my view it is superior'.

AoS does what it does pretty well and I enjoy playing it that way, but I'm also interested when folk are modding the game to make it work in different and interesting ways. I'm currently playing in an AoS campaign at my local club that uses a mighty empires map based system we modded for the game and games are fought using a randomly determined scenario from the AoS books by rolling on a list for the type of terrain you are in (mountains, river, plain, coast, fortress, city etc). I'd love to add a dimension to that where can add side-quests by sending a small force into a dungeon to find additional resources/treasure objects etc.

zoggin-eck
16-01-2016, 11:56

Who, being quite tall and on a flying disc, is probably not the best for dungeon crawling :D

Choombatta
16-01-2016, 11:58
Isnt there a rule in the AoS rules that gives benefits to your general after each battle? Why not apply the rule to all characters?

This was my suggestion for a campaign. Rewards from victories become permanent for the duration of the campaign.
Also, it can be given to more than just the general.
Some rewards can be given to any hero, some rewards can be given to units.

Niall78
16-01-2016, 12:13
It's not really a 'defence of AoS', it's more a defence of gamers right to be innovative in their hobby without someone coming along and saying 'err, no, you can't use this system for that kind of game, you should make your gaming group spend a ton of cash on a completely different game system because in my view it is superior'.

AoS does what it does pretty well and I enjoy playing it that way, but I'm also interested when folk are modding the game to make it work in different and interesting ways. I'm currently playing in an AoS campaign at my local club that uses a mighty empires map based system we modded for the game and games are fought using a randomly determined scenario from the AoS books by rolling on a list for the type of terrain you are in (mountains, river, plain, coast, fortress, city etc). I'd love to add a dimension to that where can add side-quests by sending a small force into a dungeon to find additional resources/treasure objects etc.

I didn't tell anyone the couldn't use AoS that way I just asked what's the point in taking a game that has zero rules for dungeon crawling or warband progression and trying to make it work that way when there are multiple games available on the market that do that job properly.

Would you consider WFB, KoW and 9th Age to be good dungeon crawlers?

Niall78
16-01-2016, 12:17
Who, being quite tall and on a flying disc, is probably not the best for dungeon crawling :D

A lot of the AoS miniatures have bases that are too big for the most commonly available tile-sets in any case. ;)

Spiney Norman
16-01-2016, 12:18
I didn't tell anyone the couldn't use AoS that way I just asked what's the point in taking a game that has zero rules for dungeon crawling or warband progression and trying to make it work that way when there are multiple games available on the market that do that job properly.

Would you consider WFB, KoW and 9th Age to be good dungeon crawlers?

Not unless the dungeon had passageways wide enough to accommodate units ten models wide, which seems unlikely, but the five-ten model units in skirmish formation that are common in AoS would work easily in a dungeon environment.

A lot of the AoS miniatures have bases that are too big for the most commonly available tile-sets in any case. ;)

If we did something like this we'd most likely use the tile sections from space hulk or betrayal at Calth anyway, or perhaps print off our own, we certainly wouldn't go out and buy a whole other game to use the tiles since the whole point of using AoS was to prevent us having to buy a different game in the first place .

Choombatta
16-01-2016, 12:36

Where are all of those in the core rule book for 8th edition WHFB?
I think we can agree that 8th edition could be played very well in a campaign setting, yet those rules appear nowhere in the rule book.
Even warband progression appears nowhere in the core rule book, it was a supplement created years later after the release of the core rules.

75hastings69
16-01-2016, 13:05
I'm talking about any models that can be found in the AoS section of the GW webstore ;) between us our gaming group has access to sizeable armies of every WFB/AoS faction which means it's very easy to run any kind of dungeon crawler style game with any type or quantity of enemies.

I've also said numerous times that just because something is not explicitly spelled out in the rule book does not mean you can't do it or that is impossible

It's not explicitly spelled out Spiney, it simply is not mentioned at all! You said AOS works well for that type of game? How does it if it contains exactly zero rules???? or are we again back around to playing Age of Spiney (or insert other users name - hopefully beginning with S ;) ) where in actual fact you are not playing AoS as a dungeoncrawler but a game of your own devising. Other companies actually create and support rulesets for dungeoncrawling games - frostgrave will very soon have the "into the breeding grounds" expansion which will do just that. AoS does NOT, it barely even contains rules to function as the game it is marketed as.

But my point on the models is you said AoS has a superior range, it doesn't. Those models on the website you are talking about were originally designed and sold for WFB, in fact over 70% of the "Aos" models are old WFB models, so it would be more accurate to have said either GW or indeed WFB has a superior range. Claiming the range is good because it's AoS is false, it's like you'll say anything to try and convince (yourself and) others that AoS is a tremendous product with lots of uses and potential, and don't get me wrong I know I'm on the opposite side of that argument but I'm not trying to argue something is good because of a model range, that quite frankly doesn't even belong to it.

75hastings69
16-01-2016, 13:10
Where are all of those in the core rule book for 8th edition WHFB?
I think we can agree that 8th edition could be played very well in a campaign setting, yet those rules appear nowhere in the rule book.
Even warband progression appears nowhere in the core rule book, it was a supplement created years later after the release of the core rules.

That post misses the point. Spiney claimed "AOS is good for those types of games" (meaning Dungeon Crawling), using the term IS, being in the present. It is simply a false statement to again try and raise the prestige of a flawed product but without any actual facts to back it up! AoS is NOT good for dungeon crawl games as it contains zero rules of how to do this. If people write their own house rules it still DOES NOT mean AoS is good for dungeon crawling, it means the rules THEY have written are good for that type of game.

Choombatta
16-01-2016, 13:12
Other companies actually create and support rulesets for dungeoncrawling games - frostgrave will very soon have the "into the breeding grounds" expansion which will do just that.

But it is not in the core rule book for Frostgrave, correct?
One cannot limit AoS to just what is in the 4 page core rules, yet give other games a pass that also do not have them in their core rules.
AoS released a warband progression supplement fairly quickly compared to previous WHFB editions, yet it does not count because it is not in the 4 page core rules?!?
Frostgrave has no dungeoncrawl rules in the core rule book, but because they are working on one for the future, it does count?!?!

Choombatta
16-01-2016, 13:17
That post misses the point. Spiney claimed "AOS is good for those types of games" (meaning Dungeon Crawling), using the term IS, being in the present. It is simply a false statement to again try and raise the prestige of a flawed product but without any actual facts to back it up! AoS is NOT good for dungeon crawl games as it contains zero rules of how to do this. If people write their own house rules it still DOES NOT mean AoS is good for dungeon crawling, it means the rules THEY have written are good for that type of game.

No, I got Niall78's point quite clearly, which is who I was responding to.
He stated because those things are not in the 4 page core rules, they do not count.
Those things appear in almost none of the tabletop wargame's core rules. They were either added later as a supplement, or created by the player base.
If you allow future supplements to count for other wargames, you must allow the same for AoS.
Otherwise, it is just prejudice.

Spiney Norman
16-01-2016, 13:20
It's not explicitly spelled out Spiney, it simply is not mentioned at all! You said AOS works well for that type of game? How does it if it contains exactly zero rules???? or are we again back around to playing Age of Spiney (or insert other users name - hopefully beginning with S ;) ) where in actual fact you are not playing AoS as a dungeoncrawler but a game of your own devising. Other companies actually create and support rulesets for dungeoncrawling games - frostgrave will very soon have the "into the breeding grounds" expansion which will do just that. AoS does NOT, it barely even contains rules to function as the game it is marketed as.

I'm not sure what you mean, the core combat mechanics of AoS would work just fine in a dungeon environment, just like the mechanics of Mordheim or Frostgrave would do despite not being designed with games like that in mind. The path to glory system which GW recently released as a package through the AoS app is an easy and convenient way to represent warband development.

malisteen
16-01-2016, 13:39
For a propyer dungeon crawler, you need functional rules for traps and related skills, searches, etc, which can be home brewed easily enough, but aren't there by default. Also dungeon craling generally means fewer models than AoS likes, exploring for a longer time than AoS usually runs. AoS is a pretty fast, deadly game, you'd need to up the delver's durability considerably for them to last more than a couple rooms.

Still an interesting idea, but i think a fair bit of homebrew and testing would be needed.

Niall78
16-01-2016, 13:47
No, I got Niall78's point quite clearly, which is who I was responding to.
He stated because those things are not in the 4 page core rules, they do not count.
Those things appear in almost none of the tabletop wargame's core rules. They were either added later as a supplement, or created by the player base.
If you allow future supplements to count for other wargames, you must allow the same for AoS.
Otherwise, it is just prejudice.

I was asking how does a four page badly devised skirmish rule-set makes AoS a good system to use as a dungeon crawler. It isn't designed as such a game and has none of the mechanics need to run such a game - especially as a series of linked scenarios or campaigns.

No other tabletop game is suited to conversion to dungeon crawl scale either. That's why I find the claim strange. There is zero point converting a TT game to that scale when their are dozens of products that do the job wonderfully out of the box.

75hastings69
16-01-2016, 13:56
But it is not in the core rule book for Frostgrave, correct?
One cannot limit AoS to just what is in the 4 page core rules, yet give other games a pass that also do not have them in their core rules.
AoS released a warband progression supplement fairly quickly compared to previous WHFB editions, yet it does not count because it is not in the 4 page core rules?!?
Frostgrave has no dungeoncrawl rules in the core rule book, but because they are working on one for the future, it does count?!?!

Not what I'm saying. Spiney said AoS IS good for dungeon crawling, it is not. If you aren't limiting yourself to the rules of AoS then you aren't playing AoS, unless it is an official expansion to AoS. Anything added/rules made by fans does not equal that AoS is good for X or Y, it means the rules they made are.

I also never mentioned a warband progression supplement, in fact I think that is a very smart move for AoS, as that is how I feel the game should be played and marketed. Hell if it were marketed as such from the get go it might have had more appeal to many people.

I mentioned Frostgrave as it currently contains no more rules for dungeon crawling that AoS does, but the planned expansion is all about dungeon crawling. I was not saying Frostgrave IS good for Dungeon crawling, not did I post that.

75hastings69
16-01-2016, 13:59
N....He stated because those things are not in the 4 page core rules, they do not count.

But no one else is claiming WFB etc is good for dungeon crawling, that is the whole damn point!!!! Spiney is claiming AoS IS GOOD FOR DUNGEON CRAWLING - It isn't. Where are the rules for traps, random encounters, treasure, movement, turn length, treasure, victory conditions, dungeon generation, etc. etc.

75hastings69
16-01-2016, 14:04
Those things appear in almost none of the tabletop wargame's core rules.

Actually Frostgrave rules are not far away from dungeon crawl use already, but that is because it is built as a warband type game from the off. It already contains random monsters, enemy model movement, receiving/taking treasure, carry limits, injury charts etc. to carry over, but it is still NOT a dungeon crawler in it's current format. But saying AoS IS good for dungeon crawling isn't true, it is not designed for this purpose and contains almost none of the elements required to make it a DC.

75hastings69
16-01-2016, 14:12
I'm not sure what you mean, the core combat mechanics of AoS would work just fine in a dungeon environment, just like the mechanics of Mordheim or Frostgrave would do despite not being designed with games like that in mind. The path to glory system which GW recently released as a package through the AoS app is an easy and convenient way to represent warband development, you literally don't need to 'make up' anything if you don't want to.

I would like you to open out the rule "book" for AoS, and the Path to Glory app and tell me exactly where there are any rules for dungeon crawling, where does it say about random encounters, dungeon generation, treasure, traps? etc. etc. etc. Your claim that AoS IS good for that type of game (dungeon crawling) is false, and has literally nothing to support that claim. I really would like an answer, because I'm looking through the rules and can't see anything that tells me how to use AoS for dungeon crawling, in much the same way the WFB rulebook didn't either. But no one is claiming WFB did, because it wouldn't be true. It's like you're trying to say AoS is better than everything because it can be used for so much but with nothing to support that claim. It's like me claiming wheelbarrows are good for space travel after I've made my own "rules" on how to make a spaceship out of a wheelbarrow by pretty much adding a spaceship. Adding a spaceship to the wheelbarrow does not mean wheelbarrows are good for space travel.

*EDIT, Apologies I've no idea why this has come up as 4 separate posts.

Dosiere
16-01-2016, 14:32
It would probably make more sense to use a dungeon crawl/actual RPG game to represent the narrative and linked bits and AoS for the larger skirmish/warband battles.

akai
16-01-2016, 14:45
Sharkbelly - sounds interesting!

I was asking how does a four page badly devised skirmish rule-set make AoS a good system to use as a dungeon crawler. It isn't designed as such a game and has none of the mechanics need to run such a game - especially as a series of linked scenarios or campaigns.

No other tabletop game is suited to conversion to dungeon crawl scale either. That's why I find the claim strange. There is zero point converting a TT game to that scale when their are dozens of products that do the job wonderfully out of the box.

I assume the point of Sharkbelly's post is some homebrew rules that allow a person to use 400+ pages of free warscrolls to play an off-shoot of the tabletop version of the game. Instead of having to convert those warscrolls/models (or find a profile similar to those models) for use in current dungeon crawling/warband games, It seems less work to me to just come up with a page of rules (or more if he wishes to) to adapt the AoS warscrolls for a different type of game, imo.

I agree there are many good dungeon crawling games out there (and absolutely better suited than AoS to play those type of games), but I don't think none of those games would make it easy to adapt 400+ pages of Warhammer type of units into them? I think this thread acts as a reference for AoS fans to find resources and share different ideas to increase their gaming/hobby with AoS related material.

It would probably make more sense to use a dungeon crawl/actual RPG game to represent the narrative and linked bits and AoS for the larger skirmish/warband battles.

That is what my gaming group is doing.

Inquisitor Kallus
16-01-2016, 15:18
Agreed Spiney, the AoS core combat rules would be good for use in a dungeon crawl game. Add in some other bits and pieces and it could be pretty good (like WHQ)

Choombatta
16-01-2016, 16:02
I was asking how does a four page badly devised skirmish rule-set makes AoS a good system to use as a dungeon crawler. It isn't designed as such a game and has none of the mechanics need to run such a game - especially as a series of linked scenarios or campaigns.

Nowhere in the devised rule-set (see how easy it is to not inject your opinion) does it say AoS is a skirmish game.
It's mechanics make for a good skirmish game.
Nowhere in AoS rules does it say it is a dungeoncrawl game.
It's mechanics make for a good dungeoncrawl game.

Just admit it Niall78, no tabletop wargame core rules come with the specifics you site AoS is lacking, yet you only fault AoS for it. Not any other tabletop wargame.

Spiney Norman
16-01-2016, 16:09
For a propyer dungeon crawler, you need functional rules for traps and related skills, searches, etc, which can be home brewed easily enough, but aren't there by default. Also dungeon craling generally means fewer models than AoS likes, exploring for a longer time than AoS usually runs. AoS is a pretty fast, deadly game, you'd need to up the delver's durability considerably for them to last more than a couple rooms.

Still an interesting idea, but i think a fair bit of homebrew and testing would be needed.

Aos can be played exclusively with heroes or small bands of 5 troops if required and suspending even those limitations would be relatively easy. Granted you'd need to invent some traps and treasure mechanics but that would be fairly easy and no more than you'd have to do for games like frostgrave and mordheim too.

I'm not saying you wouldn't have to put a little work in adapting the game, but the core mechanics of Aos, how it handles turns, magic, movement, shooting and combat would work fine for that kind of game. Suggesting you'd have to rewrite the whole thing is blatantly false.

Gonefishing
16-01-2016, 16:47
Aos can be played exclusively with heroes or small bands of 5 troops if required and suspending even those limitations would be relatively easy. Granted you'd need to invent some traps and treasure mechanics but that would be fairly easy and no more than you'd have to do for games like frostgrave and mordheim too.

I'm not saying you wouldn't have to put a little work in adapting the game, but the core mechanics of Aos, how it handles turns, magic, movement, shooting and combat would work fine for that kind of game. Suggesting you'd have to rewrite the whole thing is blatantly false.

But would not that be the case with most of the fantasy war-games out there.... plus WHFB. Most of them use simple D6 mechanics, you could just transcribe the core combat rules into any game you have made up (using whatever miniatures you want). The same goes for game size, I've played hero rumbles in 40K (using the 40K core rules and characters / character makers), and also combat patrols etc for very small scale games), I've played Famous Commander 1 on 1's in DZC and WHFB, and small scale games...

That's not a USP for AOS....Is it?

Yes you can play it small scale - you can also (and have always been able to) do that with other games.

Yes, you can take the core combat mechanics and import it into another game / game you have made up - you can also (and have always been able to) do that with other games.

So why is this an AOS plus point? It's just something you can do with either AOS or one of the many other games that are widely available (using miniatures from whatever or wherever you wanted).

ihavetoomuchminis
16-01-2016, 17:46
In AoS you need to do it because otherwise the game is crap. Whfb and others have a ruleset robust enough to allow you to play the game as intended without needing to look further. And that makes AoS good in a way i can't comprehend for those who want to enjoy it.

Sharkbelly
17-01-2016, 06:40
Sure, but that's not really the point. I believe it will serve as a solid basis for a dungeon crawler/skirmish campaign type game with brave heroes or heroes and their retinues. All while allowing me to use nearly every model in my collection.

75hastings69
17-01-2016, 06:47
Sure, but that's not really the point.

It's exactly the point. Spiney says AoS is good for dungeon crawling games, it is no more proficient for such than many other games on the market. The manner in which you are suggesting play firstly does not equal dungeon crawling and secondly is no different to doing exactly the same with WFB etc.

A solid "basis" means that you agree there needs to be additions to actually use it as a dungeoncrawler, this is adding the spaceship to the wheelbarrow.

The original statement seems nothing more than banging the AoS drum, with nothing to substantiate the claim.

Sharkbelly
17-01-2016, 07:58
Nah, it's more like pumping up the flat tire on the wheelbarrow. But I guess it doesn't matter. I'm looking forward to trying out the AoS rules as part of a story-based campaign or even dungeon crawling stuff.

veterannoob
17-01-2016, 08:55
@OP & Darth Alec we are about to record the rest of the podcast on Contemporary AoS scheduled to post tonight but I'm wondering do you want to start a new thread that just list these original resources so it doesn't get buried? You've go a great list so far.:)

veterannoob
17-01-2016, 10:26
Yeah, sorry about that. My cohost has to do the site but it hasn't been updated in weeks, despite my whining;) These podcast feeds or iTunes equivalent is fine.

Darth Alec
17-01-2016, 14:25
Another thing that we can look forward to is the Spring Tournament season in the UK. Lots of stuff happening, and by all accounts the Throne of Skulls was a fun event (if not super-competitive). I'm even aiming for an appearance at the South Coast GT, if I can get tickets! We should see some serious tournament play this spring, for those interested in that.

75hastings69
17-01-2016, 14:29
Do they do a doubles tournament? I feel I have a partner in mind!!! :D

*EDIT, In fact I still have some unmade IoB Skaven I found in the loft before I came to work, so if you are up for it Spiney I am prepared to assemble and paint these (and even do a PLOG) FOR AoS, then when I'm up north again (as I'm originally from not far away from you) we can arrange a game and maybe you can show me what you see in this game and what you think I'm missing, the only rule being we do not talk about the background :D

Then after the game I will either keep the skaven AoS army if I feel it will be of further use or I will raffle it off and give the proceeds to a good cause if I remain unconvinced.

Deal?

malisteen
17-01-2016, 15:15
I can't speak for Spiney, but I'd certainly be excited to see a Skaven plog from you, Hastings. Shame I'm stuck on the other side of the pond, and thus can't attend any UK events myself, or I'd have even more motivation to work faster on my undead.

veterannoob
17-01-2016, 15:22
Here's the episode I have to post up everywhere. Hope you enjoy! I've added the links you start this thread as well.

Ep 128 @CombatPhasePodc (https://twitter.com/CombatPhasePodc) is up: Contemporary AoS w/@HeelanHammer (https://twitter.com/HeelanHammer) @WayneKemp13 (https://twitter.com/WayneKemp13) @MortalRealms (https://twitter.com/MortalRealms) on iTunes & http://traffic.libsyn.com/combatphase/Ep_128_-_Contemporary_AoS_wHeelanhammer__Mortal_Realms_Pod casts.mp3
AoS 6 months later

Dosiere
17-01-2016, 16:53
I think you guys in support of a dungeon crawl version of AoS are correct that it can be done, but I also think (if you take an honest look at a quality dungeon crawl game) it would be more work than you are imagining to make it actually good. There's a lot going on in those games to make them fun, and at their core are strong RPG elements completely missing from the rules for AoS. Yes, you can totally write up your own rules, equipment, advancement system, create your own tiles, traps, items, etc.... But yo, that's a lot of work! It really is. Shoot, for those who have had the pleasure of GMing for an RPG group in their lives it's a lot of work even when you don't have to make everything up.

Here is an example of a fan made system that attempts to deviate from the "core" game it's based on in innovative ways and puts it in a package for others to enjoy. It's awesome, but it was clearly a good deal of work.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/186308-x-wing-co-op-campaign-is-here/

If you've ever played X-Wing you'll immediately appreciate what this thing offers. Its a full co-op campaign system for you to play with your friends, which is amazing. It offers something I think X-Wing sorely lacks, which are narrative games played WITH your friends rather than always against them. When people start releasing stuff like this AoS I'll take note.

Darth Alec
18-01-2016, 06:59
Do they do a doubles tournament? I feel I have a partner in mind!!! :D

*EDIT, In fact I still have some unmade IoB Skaven I found in the loft before I came to work, so if you are up for it Spiney I am prepared to assemble and paint these (and even do a PLOG) FOR AoS, then when I'm up north again (as I'm originally from not far away from you) we can arrange a game and maybe you can show me what you see in this game and what you think I'm missing, the only rule being we do not talk about the background :D

Then after the game I will either keep the skaven AoS army if I feel it will be of further use or I will raffle it off and give the proceeds to a good cause if I remain unconvinced.

Deal?

Well colour me excited for the possibility. You may even come to love round bases :p Don't know if SCGT has a doubles though. Their rules pack is coming end of january.

pssst Spiney: doooooo iiiiiiit.

Here's the episode I have to post up everywhere. Hope you enjoy! I've added the links you start this thread as well.

Ep 128 @CombatPhasePodc (https://twitter.com/CombatPhasePodc) is up: Contemporary AoS w/@HeelanHammer (https://twitter.com/HeelanHammer) @WayneKemp13 (https://twitter.com/WayneKemp13) @MortalRealms (https://twitter.com/MortalRealms) on iTunes & http://traffic.libsyn.com/combatphase/Ep_128_-_Contemporary_AoS_wHeelanhammer__Mortal_Realms_Pod casts.mp3
AoS 6 months later

Just listened to the Heelanhammer interview. Great stuff. You ask some solid questions, even if you do let them ramble on for a bit :p Enjoyed that interview a lot. Much better than I was expecting, honestly! Going to finish the episode next painting session.

75hastings69
18-01-2016, 07:26
Well colour me excited for the possibility. You may even come to love round bases :p Don't know if SCGT has a doubles though. Their rules pack is coming end of january.

pssst Spiney: doooooo iiiiiiit.

Apologies, my post is misleading. The doubles was a joke. When I said about playing with Spiney I meant just a game between us two. It's unclear in my post. But that's what I meant.

Anyway I have spoken to Spiney and it looks like a go, so I shall be starting an AoS Skaven PLOG very shortly.

Darth Alec
18-01-2016, 18:43
Apologies, my post is misleading. The doubles was a joke. When I said about playing with Spiney I meant just a game between us two. It's unclear in my post. But that's what I meant.

Anyway I have spoken to Spiney and it looks like a go, so I shall be starting an AoS Skaven PLOG very shortly.

No problems. I was a bit confused until you edited the original post. Thought I should just say that I don't know, in case you were considering going to SCGT :p

Looking forward to your PLOG, and your game with Spiney. Speaking of Spiney, it seems he has been banned from the forum, and I can't see why. Hope he comes back to us!

75hastings69
19-01-2016, 03:57
I hope so too. I know our discussions have been back and forth a lot but I don't think either of us have broken any posting guidelines or been derogatory towards any individual.

Whilst it's obvious we disagree on AoS I enjoyed reading his often well thought out posts (although obviously some weren't as well thought out :D) and think he is a valued member of these forums.

I'll drop him an email.

Darth Alec
21-01-2016, 21:17
On a cool note, the age of sigmar directory was updated with a ton of the scenarios from End Times: Nagash. It's up to the TK vs VC scenarios at the end. Need to play some of those eventually.

Commodus Leitdorf
22-01-2016, 14:30
Getting back to the idea of campaigns and such I've been bouncing around an idea I've had with some Mighty Empires tiles. I never got around to getting it when it was out (which, I can assure you, I am kicking myself over) However I have been able to grab a few loose tiles that came out with the White Dwarf a few years ago. So I have enough to at least start building a map based campaign, I'm just trying to come up with a good way choose scenarios/mix and match game types.

Either way I've had a bunch of new hobby ideas bouncing around in my head I want to get to work on. With the way the game focuses on scenario driven narrative it makes planning stuff quite a bit easier.

Dosiere
22-01-2016, 14:44
Are there any free or cheap online(web based) campaign systems? That would be cool, and would not limit you to having a physical map somewhere. Everyone could sync up and play games at will, updating the campaign from their mobile devices. Hmmmmm....

broxus
24-01-2016, 18:14
Yea GW just put out something called Path to Glory which is a campaign book. Just look it up on the free AoS app.

Dosiere
24-01-2016, 19:42
Thanks, but that's actually nothing like what I was talking about.

MLP
24-01-2016, 19:49
Are there any free or cheap online(web based) campaign systems? That would be cool, and would not limit you to having a physical map somewhere. Everyone could sync up and play games at will, updating the campaign from their mobile devices. Hmmmmm....

There is not for AoS at the moment. But I have plans to develop one, without an app though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjp
24-01-2016, 22:19
If you guys check out Louisville gaming , the guys that brought us Azyr comp, they are working on an AoS mighty empires system. From what I've seen thus far they have quite a bit developed...if only I could easily find a link from my phone...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk