PDA

View Full Version : Battle report help.

Warlord Kyle
09-07-2006, 22:37
how can u write a battle report through the eyes of a tyranid army? Has it been done or do u always do the story form, from the other armies view point? ive looked in several places and havent found a single battle report that is somehow from the 'nid point of view? (this is for the medusa v campain)

plus: does anyone know any good dark eldar web sites, tactics or even a beginers army list that has even an icicles chance in hell against space marines?
and is the dark eldars newest codex really 2nd edition?:wtf:
and if it is no wonder there are so few of them and why they always have the pissed off twitch:D

Unseeing Eye
09-07-2006, 23:01
The Dark Eldar codex is the second edition (eg second printing) of the third edition codex.

DE are a hard army to get used to, but are very good. Essentially, you can form an awesome base of fire with 10 man warrior squads w/ 2 heavy weapons, ravagers etc while your fast moving combat elements can deal out lots of pain as well.

Inq. Veltane
09-07-2006, 23:04
On the first point, I don't think it can be done accurately. It would be like asking a werewolf to describe what the colour green smells like. Basically human language just can't translate how a tyranid thinks and communicates. A 'neutral' observers perspective is really the best you can hope for unless you want to make the tyranids 'too human'.

And no, the Dark Eldar didn't even exist in 2nd Edition. The closest you got would be Eldar Pirates who were really very, very different. The DE Codex is 3rd Edition.

ArtificerArmour
10-07-2006, 12:03
I agree, talking from the eyes of an expert being asked to comment on the Tyranid's movements would be quite cool.

azimaith
10-07-2006, 12:24
Tyranids aren't a bunch of mindless beasts, you'd speak from the point of view of the hive mind.

Speaking from a gaunts point of view would be difficult as they just get directed like meat puppets.

Lame Duck
10-07-2006, 18:17
But the hive mind doesn't think like humans as such. it would sound pretty lame if it was from the hive minds point of view. Well IMO at least.

Venomizer
10-07-2006, 18:26
I'd imagine the best way to do it is either, as suggested write from a Tyranid experts standpoint or from the point of view of the opposition army

truth be told I'm in a pretty similiar boat when writing battle reports for my Necrons

Kymar
10-07-2006, 18:28
As they said, the human/Tau observer is probably the best bet. If you really are up to the challenge of Tyranid point of view I'd list it as a disjointed series of single idea/impluse, sort of like a haiku.

*really bad example*

Slow prey lingers
Worms hunger greedily
explosive relief.

Da Reddaneks
10-07-2006, 18:36
do it like any other battle report. english works fine. but in your narative there would not be so much "bob, we must charge that machine gun next" as it would be "the hive tyrant, having viewed the area through his psychic bond with the gargolyes which had scouted the area, realized that the meat had tried to set up a trap for anything that would try to cross the field. With little more than a glance and a psychic impules the gaunts lept forward as little more than the thralls they are towards the meats weapons emplacement."

i think it would be mostly motivational and communication differences. it would grow tiresome in a novel pretty quickly but would work fine for a battle report.

TwilightOdyssey
10-07-2006, 18:44
If you really are up to the challenge of Tyranid point of view I'd list it as a disjointed series of single idea/impluse, sort of like a haiku.
Yes, or a Zen koan.

The Keeper of Secrets
11-07-2006, 09:41
truth be told I'm in a pretty similiar boat when writing battle reports for my Necrons

If you look in the medusa campain booklet (the one that came free with the white dwarf) there is a small section on necrons that has something from a necron's point of veiw.

that should help

Warlord Kyle
11-07-2006, 22:57
err which white dwarf?