PDA

View Full Version : AoS Wood Elves Synergies and Tactics

mjp
12-01-2016, 16:14
Hi everyone,

I have recently begun a Path to Glory AoS campaign at my local GW. I have played through 3/4 of my first month's games, and have had some great fun. The other players 10-12 of them, have all been pretty great, and the experience quite fun so far.
Anyway, I have been rolling out some Wood Elves and I wanted to discuss some of the tactics and synergies used so far. I am going to break down the units I have used until this point and what I thought of them.

Glade Guard - Must be played in a unit of 20. The +1 to Hit is great, hitting on 3's. Combining this with the Glade Lord (on foot) ability to allows re-rolls of 1, makes for quite a few tasty hits getting through. A few problems I found with them though, have really hurt me. Firstly, the 20" range makes it tough to last until turn 3 without getting hit. As great as these guys are at shooting, they have nearly no staying power. Even a unit of 20, combined with a battleshock test, find themselves dying quite easily and quickly in combat. The other problem I have found with them is utilizing the Arcane Bodkins ability. Once per game, -3 rend is amazing, especially with a unit of 20. HOWEVER, due to the fact that they hit combat so early, you really have to use this power in the first 2 turns to get its maximum potential.

Eternal Guard- Major problems with these guys. A unit of 10 is just not enough for them to really do much in combat.in 3 games, they hit 3 combats, and got destroyed in all 3. I dont think they got a kill, let alone a wound. Its a shame, because I really like the new kits, but I will continue to try them out. I plan on bringing 20 of them in month 2. One problem, that was my fault, was never getting off Fortress of Boughs. It ups all of their numbers by 1 (hit wound save), but I never had the right time to do this. They would hit combat unexpectedly, which is probably more my fault for not being able to see a charge coming. With shields they re-roll saves of 1. The Sisters of the Thorn are likely the best way to get these guys going, with re-rolling saves, and any successful saves cause a mortal wound (if you get the sisters spell on them). Still need to do some testing, but the Glade Lord's command ability with the sisters spells seem to be the best way to maximize this unit.

Treeman- Beast. Absolute beast. If not for this guy, played at the basic Treeman level, I would have lost every game. I swapped him in for the sisters at the last minute, and it paid dividends. He killed a chaos giant, grimgor, trolls, and pretty much anything else thrown at him. His shooting ability is great (which I often forget to use after he got into combat), his sweeping blows are awesomely strong as well. The impaling talon proved to be difficult to get off, but the one time it did, it wiped a 4 wound troll quickly. I almost always forgot to use the stomp, to my detriment. Despite not having much in common with the regular elves (synergy-wise), he proved to be a nice complement to the frail elves.

Glade Lord- Performed well when asked to. I avoided combat with this guy for the most part, not trusting his fighting ability. That was a mistake. The ONE combat he got into, was all by himself against 3 Trolls. Using his Starlight greatblade, he was able to cause 6 big wounds in one turn of combat. He eventually killed the rest, even with the trolls stupid TOO DUMB TO DIE ability. His Hail of Doom Arrow is a nice surprise for the opponent as well. Its similar to the Glade Guards bodkins in the sense that you want to get it off in the first 2-3 turns, otherwise you risk never getting a chance. Even his 3 Bow of Loren ranged shots are quite nice for whittling away at heroes or causing small Battleshock tests on infantry units. His command ability is also great, if you have him in a good position to use it on multiple units. I mostly had him near the GG, but it works with EG as well. The arrow of Kurnous, I only remembered 1 of 3 games, but it did hit, for what its worth. I havent used the other build, which is a spear and kindred blade, so I cant comment on its strength in that regard.

If you would like to break down the other units you may have used, provide additional thoughts on the units already discussed, or even some further insight like how to maneuver the table, all discussion is welcome.

Spiney Norman
12-01-2016, 16:32
I've played with my wood elves a fair bit and the forest dragon is one of the foulest monsters in the game, being able to fly him straight at the middle of your opponents battle line with multiple units in support and prevent all your opponent's units from attacking until after all yours have done their damage is utterly devastating. The dragon GL has a really good command ability too.

The banner is kind of 'meh' because I don't see a great deal of direct damage spells used in my meta. I also really like the 'elite' cc units like Wild wood Rangers and war dancers.

mjp
12-01-2016, 16:58
How have the WWR held up for you? What size unit are you using?

Are you as disappointed about the wild riders as I am? They were an auto pick for me in 8th...now not at all

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

SimaoSegunda
12-01-2016, 22:37
I've found a treeman ancient to be invaluable in my games so far. People in my meta have really learned the value of focussing down him and the regular treeman early in the game to avoid a pasting.

mjp
12-01-2016, 23:16
I've found a treeman ancient to be invaluable in my games so far. People in my meta have really learned the value of focussing down him and the regular treeman early in the game to avoid a pasting.
Awesome! What do you find about the ancient to be his deadliest asset? I found with the treeman I NEVER once used his tree move ability. I recall the Ancient having a spell of some sort... is it any good?

Also, the ancient being a sylvaneth hero, doesnt he get the Summon Treekin spell?

Spiney Norman
13-01-2016, 14:30
How have the WWR held up for you? What size unit are you using?

Are you as disappointed about the wild riders as I am? They were an auto pick for me in 8th...now not at all

Wild riders were a bit too powerful in 8th, granted they are nowhere near as good in AoS, but they still have their place I think, although that seems to be with Orion, which is a shame, units that are tied to named special characters are not something I relish, esp as Orion has been terribad in every edition of WFB since I started playing.

Rangers make very good monster hunters, combined with the dragons ability to let them strike first if they are in close proximity I have had really good results with them.

mjp
13-01-2016, 15:38
Definitely looks like wild riders really work with only orion around, which is a shame.

I just considered the WWR and Dragon combo...sounds nasty!! I haven't had luck with my EG surviving so I'm afraid to use WWR. With a dragon might be the way

SimaoSegunda
15-01-2016, 18:46
Awesome! What do you find about the ancient to be his deadliest asset? I found with the treeman I NEVER once used his tree move ability. I recall the Ancient having a spell of some sort... is it any good?

Also, the ancient being a sylvaneth hero, doesnt he get the Summon Treekin spell?

its a regrowth spell rather than a summoning spell. The Ancient's shooting attack is interesting, but tends to either do a lot or nothing at all.

The power of the Ancient's unique spell varies depending on how much scenery is about, but you can also use it for an arcane bolt, or mystic shield on himself for a 2+ save. Often, the realm-specific spell is worth a shout, if you use the realm rules. Also, with ground shaking stomp, and some decent attacks, he can usually fend off any light fast units that sneak through to try and assassinate him.

Also, bear in mind the stomp can affect units even if they aren't attacking him, so he's a Monsterous wizard that you don't feel the need to hang back with and try to keep out of harm's way, so you get use from his dual status as monster and wizard.

Darkspear
19-01-2016, 06:33
I believe the eternal guard's main purpose is to serve as a shield for the glade guard. EG encourages a static gameplay while the killing is done by glade guard.

mjp
22-01-2016, 19:20
OK! So I am going to try out a new list!

Glade Lord on Great Eagle
Treemen
3 Warhawk Riders
10 Glade Guard
Spellweaver on steed

Now I have 2 more warscroll choices..options include glade riders, wild riders, more GG, EG, swap out weaver for ancient treemen, WWR any suggestions for how to fill this list out?