PDA

View Full Version : 9th Age - a positive thread :)

Pages : [1] 2

Teurastaja
12-01-2016, 18:52
Tell me, who's in? What are your projects? What do you like most?
To be honest, I think I'm falling in love. My world makes sense again and I even started building a completely new Vampire Covenant army (Strigoi bloodline). After seeing Undying Dynasties armybook I just want more, as soon as possible :)

If you're new and interested in 9th Age, check this link:
http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?simple-page/

Darth Alec
12-01-2016, 19:18
So far I like it. Most of the changes seem to be no-nonsense changes to 8th. A couple of strange things, and it's clearly a competetive game, but very fun so far.

Asmodios
12-01-2016, 19:25
To be honest, I think I'm falling in love. My world makes sense again and I even started building a completely new Vampire Covenant army (Strigoi bloodline). After seeing Undying Dynasties armybook I just want more, as soon as possible :)
Me and my gaming group (roughly 8 people in North Texas) are all in. So far the rules are great and just knowing that the rules team will balance things out more then every 4-5 years is so refreshing. We are all starting new forces to play with. Im just having a hard time on whether i want to build a mantic undead, fire forge bretonia or mix of models for a slannesh themed army.

daftpunkevo
12-01-2016, 19:26
My world makes sense again

You may rank wargaming too high in your life if your world stopped with AoS.
We are just playing our own, modded 8th. Not interested in 9th and the shops here just play 8th anyway.

Asmodios
12-01-2016, 19:31
We are just playing our own, modded 8th. Not interested in 9th and the shops here just play 8th anyway.
Im assuming the "my world makes sense again" was more of a joke then an actually statement their life was falling apart. You must have also missed the thread "9th age-a positive thread" not "i don't care about 9th but positive 8th modded thread".

Folomo
12-01-2016, 19:36
I love it so far.
They keep almost all the spirit from 8th, reaaally fixed some clunky rules and made almost all choices interesting.
For the first time ever I am wondering what weapon to use on my infantry and on my mounstruos infantry :).
The game still needs a few month to mature enough (still in beta after all), but things are looking great.
Also, a pretty active and interesting community.
And the fact that they not only worry about rules, but also about background and artwork was an impressive effort. Really didn'y expect them to pull something as neat as the UD armybook.
And the fact that they plan to expand the armies and not only remain stagnant on the basic units of 8th is really a good initiative. :)

Teurastaja
12-01-2016, 19:58
Me and my gaming group (roughly 8 people in North Texas) are all in. So far the rules are great and just knowing that the rules team will balance things out more then every 4-5 years is so refreshing. We are all starting new forces to play with. Im just having a hard time on whether i want to build a mantic undead, fire forge bretonia or mix of models for a slannesh themed army.

I get your dilemma, I had to decide between Infernal Dwarves, Undead and Vermin Swarm. It wasn't easy, every army seems fun in its own way. Mantic has some nice stuff, I like their Ogres more than GW's. My group wasn't particularly enthusiastic at first, but after some test games I now have three regular opponets. One of my friends always wanted to use Ancestral Guardians from Titan Forge in his army and now he has reason to do it.

Thank you for this absolutely irrelevant comment :)

Malagor
12-01-2016, 20:00
I like it so far. It has problems. Bretonnia sucks, there is some balancing issues and they really need to do something about Ridden Monsters since they are still horrible choices but it might come.

2DSick
12-01-2016, 20:05
It's really refreshing. I fell out of love with WHFB (the game) when 8th landed. I think most of the balancing changes have ironed out the flaws that gripped my shyte the most. Some are still there albeit with much less grip! ;)

Wha's nice is that I can can guarantee a game of it one city over and around the corner is all about KoQ. I love both games and have been collecting a Mantic goblin army for both. So still individually based for compatibility.

Teurastaja
12-01-2016, 20:08
I love it so far.
They keep almost all the spirit from 8th, reaaally fixed some clunky rules and made almost all choices interesting.
For the first time ever I am wondering what weapon to use on my infantry and on my mounstruos infantry :).
The game still needs a few month to mature enough (still in beta after all), but things are looking great.
And the fact that they not only worry about rules, but also about background and artwork was an impressive effort. Really didn'y expect them to pull something as neat as the UD armybook.
And the fact that they plan to expand the armies and not only remain stagnant on the basic units of 8th is really a good initiative. :)

Yeah, UD book was a big surprise. At first I thought we'll just get the rules. I really enjoyed reading their fluff and some of the artwork is very nice. I didn't expect so much effort.

Asmodios
12-01-2016, 20:10
I get your dilemma, I had to decide between Infernal Dwarves, Undead and Vermin Swarm. It wasn't easy, every army seems fun in its own way. Mantic has some nice stuff, I like their Ogres more than GW's. My group wasn't particularly enthusiastic at first, but after some test games I now have three regular opponets. One of my friends always wanted to use Ancestral Guardians from Titan Forge in his army and now he has reason to do it.

Thank you for this absolutely irrelevant comment :)
I got my younger brother the Mantic ogre starter set and he loved the minis. The main difference with all these companies from GW is now money isn't as much of an issue. Depending on the company i can make 2-3 armies for the price of making one GW army. So now its just trying to choose which army i want first =p.

2DSick
12-01-2016, 20:13
certainly the artwork was far above and beyond anything I ever exected!

Whirlwind
12-01-2016, 21:17
I think the best thing 9th shows is just how much the community can do if it gets together and back the continuation of Warhammer. It's just a shame they have to change the names that I've come to know and love but then I understand why! 9th definitely sits on in the land of when I am more competitive minded, but 8th will always be there for the less serious games!

Lexington
12-01-2016, 22:14
Really, really impressed with what I've seen of 9th Age so far. I have occasional thoughts about building that Empire army I always wanted, and seeing if some of the group here that's stuck with 8th Ed would be willing to give it a go.

Skargit Crookfang
12-01-2016, 23:11
Been working on it (O&G Army Staff) for a while now -it's a great group of people and the community interaction is above and beyond- though, there are always some that are convinced their ideas are the be all and end all, and the rules and army book guys are just big meanies ;).

All in all, I love the project. It's not perfect, but it's a huge step forward for the community and the game, in general.

Also, it totally got me to branch out vis a vis new armies. So, GW, you can thank 9th Age for that Gaunt Summoner impulse buy... and the massive lot of Chaos that has followed.

Katastrophe
12-01-2016, 23:24
I have to admit that I'm impressed with the dedication they've shown in actually balancing the forces. I don't necessarily agree with some of the choices but that's because I think they want to enforce a particular play style. I also think they should have really taken an opportunity to rethink some of the 8th Ed rules and their effect on the overall game. But that's a personal issue as I'm no fan of 8th.

But their work is FAR better than anything GW has done in near a DECADE.

The Tomb Kings book is very well done and I look forward to what they do with a few others. My local area is really interested in pushing 9th Age over KoW which I am fine with. I hope to start back tournamenting come summer when I get better control of my caseload. And I hope a finalized Elf book will be out by then.

ewar
12-01-2016, 23:32
It's a fantastic project - I like what they've done much more with the army books than the core rules, but I'm adapting. Going to a big 9th Age tourney in Cardiff in Feb (which I need to do some serious painting for... eeek) so will have a better idea after that. My group is fully on board with it though and coming up with new lists for my existing armies has been an absolute blast (soooooo many choices now!).

GrandmasterWang
13-01-2016, 00:18
I play modded 8th (Chillhammer) but am keeping an eye on 9th age developments. It is based on 8th and the points are largely the same so that is a positive. I thought the draft Undying Legions book was a great first effort and i applaud any such community effort.

Once 9th is further developed i might even bring some 9th age stuff into Chillhammer :)

I have/had one huge niggle with the 9th age rules as i skimmed though, has Insane Courage (double 1 breaktest) been completely removed?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Malagor
13-01-2016, 00:25
has Insane Courage (double 1 breaktest) been completely removed?

Yes sadly.

Ayin
13-01-2016, 03:30

I've got a friend building a new Strigoi Vampire army (picking it up from someone who dropped GW some time ago) and another getting Highborn Elves ready (most of the models I gave him when I realized I was never going to use them after 8th). From there it's friends actually STARTING Brettonian armies, Dark Elves, Daemons and Dwarves (and a psyched up Dwarf player at that!).

For my projects I've got my Khorne/Wrath Warriors that I am very pleased with and, more than any other army, my Dogs of War/Empire (formerly Leitpold the Black led) that is now composed of (wait for it) units that AREN'T the worst choices in the entire book! I'm overjoyed that Mortars, Pistoliers, Spears and Handguns have actually been looked at reasonably. Over. Joyed.

Yowzo
13-01-2016, 07:43
I play modded 8th (Chillhammer) but am keeping an eye on 9th age developments. It is based on 8th and the points are largely the same so that is a positive. I thought the draft Undying Legions book was a great first effort and i applaud any such community effort.

I had a look at the chart and it's amazing the degree to which people are getting involved.

There are easily over 100 people developing the game in one corner or other, check it out here:

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/images/Workflow_the_9th_Age.PNG

There are over 5000 forum members, and it's generating over 800 posts per day. That's more than any other single-system forum out there, more than warseer or TWF and already at bolter&chainsword or dakkadakka levels.

And that's from a fan initiative started just 6 moths ago or so.

Our group has gone 9th age for the most part (with a smattering of KoW, a few still playing 8th edition and the usual X-wing, FoW, etc. on the side)

Zywus
13-01-2016, 10:40
That's pretty amazing.
I'm really impressed with the speed that the 9th age community has formed, the number or people it has attracted and the quality of the Undying dynasties book.

At the moment there's over 350 people logged in on the 9th age forum. Almost as many as on the entirety of Mantic's official forum (which is admittedly still reeling after the server move) and almost half of Warseer, but with double as many registred users.

Denny
13-01-2016, 10:57
I'm not playing it, but I think its supercool when gamers get together to sort out problems rather than just complaining about them.
(Actually the word 'gamers' in that sentence should probably be replaced with 'people' . . .)

Its really impressive how the community has come together (when it would have been very easy to just devolve into bitterly opposed but very similar factions, Life of Brian style).
I'm interested where it will go from here in terms of new content/armies once the basic ruleset has been finalized.

Kudos all round. :)

Ayin
13-01-2016, 12:22
I love it so far.

Yep. This blew my mind when I encountered it. Sitting down for the first time with my Warriors list and realizing that not only WERE there options...but that the choices not only mattered by there wasn't a clearly best one.

An active community is wonderful, and actually knowing that it's not going to be 3, 4, 5, 8, or 10 years before a problem gets looked at is...well, I would say wonderful, but honestly it's about what should be EXPECTED these days.

Ayin
13-01-2016, 12:38
Yeah, UD book was a big surprise. At first I thought we'll just get the rules. I really enjoyed reading their fluff and some of the artwork is very nice. I didn't expect so much effort.

I was also pretty impressed with the writing and the artwork. Those I know who've read it so far (including my wife) immediately noted the change in style and focus in the writing.

Soundwave
13-01-2016, 12:57
I am in. It is an amazing project and the amount of care that has been placed into each individual army is unreal. It shows on the tabletop as well with games being very close. Beastmen are dangerous now, who would have guessed :).

Ayin
13-01-2016, 13:19
Beastmen are dangerous now, who would have guessed :).

If nothing else, seeing people EXCITED to play their army of Beastmen, or looking forward to using units like Pistoliers, or mounting characters on gryphons or trying lores of magic or taking items or antyhing else that just hasn't been done in...years is an exciting thing, and ESPECIALLY because it's happening in an environment where if the changes turn out not to work, one won't have to wait YEARS to watch another spin of the wheel which could just as easily see half the rest of the army list made nearly unplayable.

Soundwave
13-01-2016, 13:30
If nothing else, seeing people EXCITED to play their army of Beastmen, or looking forward to using units like Pistoliers, or mounting characters on gryphons or trying lores of magic or taking items or antyhing else that just hasn't been done in...years is an exciting thing, and ESPECIALLY because it's happening in an environment where if the changes turn out not to work, one won't have to wait YEARS to watch another spin of the wheel which could just as easily see half the rest of the army list made nearly unplayable.

These are all great points as well. The whole changes being implemented when necessary is excellent. I like how the armies have kept the individual character as well. Also the amount of FUNCTIONAL themed builds is amazing. Play fluff stay tuff.

Ayin
13-01-2016, 13:39
These are all great points as well. The whole changes being implemented when necessary is excellent.

If I remember correctly, this was something that was touted as being a possible bonus of GW's rules going all-digital. I guess it did work out that way, just not through the medium most would have predicted.

I like how the armies have kept the individual character as well. Also the amount of FUNCTIONAL themed builds is amazing. Play fluff stay tuff.

I am loving this statement.

Kisanis
13-01-2016, 15:25
I had a look at the chart and it's amazing the degree to which people are getting involved.

There are easily over 100 people developing the game in one corner or other, check it out here:

There are over 5000 forum members, and it's generating over 800 posts per day. That's more than any other single-system forum out there, more than warseer or TWF and already at bolter&chainsword or dakkadakka levels.

Our group has gone 9th age for the most part (with a smattering of KoW, a few still playing 8th edition and the usual X-wing, FoW, etc. on the side)
Holy organisation batman.

I havent played much. My group plays 1/month at best, but once every 2-3 is more likely. Our fantasy has set on the shelf for a few years though.

We're trying KoW first, then its on to look at 9th. It will take some trials of both to see what we settle on.

I just have to give the group kudos for what they've acheived.

People can use models from GW, historicals, Reaper, Mantic, really whoever they want.

The mass fantasy combat game has become completely liberated from GW. Where things will end, is murky, but im optimistic.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Buddy Bear
13-01-2016, 15:31
Does anyone know how you apply to the 9th Age team to work on the background for an army? I have a great many qualifications which I feel would be useful for the Kingdom of Equitaine background development.

ForsetisMuse
13-01-2016, 16:11
Does anyone know how you apply to the 9th Age team to work on the background for an army? I have a great many qualifications which I feel would be useful for the Kingdom of Equitaine background development.

If you have a user on their forum then you can apply by clicking on your picture in the top left corner, click user groups and choose the background and art group. :-)

Buddy Bear
13-01-2016, 16:13
Got it, thanks! By the way, I'm Green Knight over there. Flying my Bretonnian colors high. :)

Smooth Boy
13-01-2016, 16:44
It's excellent, I plan on finishing my Averland army then starting a Dwarf army as well. I think they offer the best hope of keeping the WHFB community together. I don't know if I can forgive them for getting rid of inner circle knights though, and WS 3 on knights in special is awful.

Giladisb
13-01-2016, 17:14
As a member of the Executive Board and Background & Arts Team it really warms my heart to read these comments.

Thanks guys it is additional motivation to strive to make things even better.

Ayin
13-01-2016, 17:47
It's excellent, I plan on finishing my Averland army then starting a Dwarf army as well. I think they offer the best hope of keeping the WHFB community together.

The certainly offer the best chance to play a great game of Warhammer Fantasy!

I don't know if I can forgive them for getting rid of inner circle knights though, and WS 3 on knights in special is awful.

It may interest you to note that the Inner Circle Knights are still there in the list. If you take a Knight Commander, the leader or at least a high ranking member of a Knightly Order, he comes with:

"Legendary Warrior​: A Knight Commander is Immune to Psychology and confers this effectto any unit he joins.If a
Knight Commander is included in the army, one unit of Electoral Cavalry may be upgraded to Imperial Cavalry."

Which is in the Core section under the Electoral Cavalry:

"Imperial Cavalry: ​Riders gain +1 Weapon Skill and +1
Strength on their characteristic profile."

For a WS4 S4 unit of Knights in Core representing a more skilled and experienced core force of heavy cavalry.

The Knightly Orders in Special are WS4 and S4, I4, 2A with the Bodyguard rule (granting them Stubborn if they are accompanied by a character and making them a superb bodyguard unit for the Commander or a BSB).

Dosiere
13-01-2016, 17:57
It's amazing what has been done, and the people behind this have done a great job so far. Been paying attention to my beloved Empire in particular.

What I have been waiting for are solid rules for smaller games; I just can't do the huge 3 hour+ games anymore, sadly. I was told that once the base game was done and the dust settled a bit it was high on the list of things to do. Hopefully that's stull true! 8th was my favorite edition of WFB, and 9th looks to be a worthy successor, but it really pushed you towards large games which I thought was a shame since there were no optional rules and such for playing smaller games. So, not playing, but watching with great interest both the development and to see if it takes off in any way in my area.

Ayin
13-01-2016, 18:02
What kind of rules would you be looking for to have a "smaller game"? Besides of course just playing a 500, 100, or 1500pt game?

Philhelm
13-01-2016, 18:04

It makes one wonder whether there is a market for this sort of game...

Giladisb
13-01-2016, 18:09
It's amazing what has been done, and the people behind this have done a great job so far. Been paying attention to my beloved Empire in particular.

What I have been waiting for are solid rules for smaller games; I just can't do the huge 3 hour+ games anymore, sadly. I was told that once the base game was done and the dust settled a bit it was high on the list of things to do. Hopefully that's stull true! 8th was my favorite edition of WFB, and 9th looks to be a worthy successor, but it really pushed you towards large games which I thought was a shame since there were no optional rules and such for playing smaller games. So, not playing, but watching with great interest both the development and to see if it takes off in any way in my area.

The main rules are meant to function for games between 1500 and 2999 points, and we currently have a stop gap patch for smaller and bigger games which will in the future be replaced by more detailed rules.

Also on our list of things to do at some point in the future are:
Fantasy Battles - The 9th Age: Skirmish
Fantasy Battles - The 9th Age: Role Play

So we hope to scale the gaming in the setting will go like this:
Fantasy Battles - The 9th Age: Warbands
Fantasy Battles - The 9th Age: Armies
Fantasy Battles - The 9th Age: Grand Armies

As a disclaimer apart for the "Fantasy Battles - The 9th Age" part the names have not yet been decided. Also depending on how the game and the setting will continue to develop there is a possibility of branching of into 10-12mm category in addition to 28mm, also there have been questions about ship battles.

We are interested in expanding in the future, but our working plan is dealing with one thing project completely before taking another, so some things (if they happen) are going to be a some years into the future.

Dosiere
13-01-2016, 18:11
What kind of rules would you be looking for to have a "smaller game"? Besides of course just playing a 500, 100, or 1500pt game?

I feel like at smaller point games certain rules need to be changed. Things like magic, war machines, the horde rule, army composition, etc... just don't always work "right" IMO in small games. It was a noted weakness of 8th ed. that it got alittle wacky at small point values. 9th is already better by toning down some of the more ridiculous things. Still, I think you could make a superior set of rules by essentially having alternate rules for small games rather than just expect one ruleset to scale perfectly up or down. We often houseruled army comp and magic in particular when we did an escalation league for WFB, as an example.

Dosiere
13-01-2016, 18:18
The main rules are meant to function for games between 1500 and 2999 points, and we currently have a stop gap patch for smaller and bigger games which will in the future be replaced by more detailed rules.

As a disclaimer apart for the "Fantasy Battles - The 9th Age" part the names have not yet been decided. Also depending on how the game and the setting will continue to develop there is a possibility of branching of into 10-12mm category in addition to 28mm, also there have been questions about ship battles.

We are interested in expanding in the future, but our working plan is dealing with one thing project completely before taking another, so some things (if they happen) are going to be a some years into the future.

Honestly, that sounds just about perfect!

Ayin
13-01-2016, 18:24
With the significant changes to magic I think you'll find that smaller point games aren't as immediately skewed by it as was the case in 8th.

Asmodios
13-01-2016, 18:35
As a member of the Executive Board and Background & Arts Team it really warms my heart to read these comments.

I wanted to say thank you for all the excellent work you guys are putting in. From Dallas Texas my gaming group would like to sincerely thank everyone volunteering their time to the 9th age project. Keep us the good work!

pinktaco
13-01-2016, 19:04
Feel free to ask any questions if you guys have any :)

Rogue Star
13-01-2016, 19:40
I feel this thread would benefit from a link to where I can download/browse the rules and army books in the first post or something...

Giladisb
13-01-2016, 19:45
Ask and you shall receive :D

Teurastaja
13-01-2016, 19:57
Ask and you shall receive :D

Done!:)

Words.

2DSick
13-01-2016, 19:58
With the significant changes to magic I think you'll find that smaller point games aren't as immediately skewed by it as was the case in 8th.

That was one of my bug-bears with 8th. Magic was too much. And at a certain level, if you didnt have a lv4 or sudo lv5... you might as well go home, hehe.

Ayin
13-01-2016, 20:15
That was one of my bug-bears with 8th. Magic was too much. And at a certain level, if you didnt have a lv4 or sudo lv5... you might as well go home, hehe.

One of the things that most unbalanced small games of 8th was 4th level wizards and the damage done by level 6 spells. Lots of people suggested fixes to this (like only rolling 1 dice for Winds of magic at 1500pts and below, which was simple and pretty effective).

GW's release during this time was a game expansion that allowed you to 4D6 the Winds of Magic and add random monsters to your army list.

So. Yeah.

One of the things that I absolutely love about 9th Age is that it has much of the feel of magic in army building from 6th, with much of the flavour of 8th. In 6th edition, Lord level casters (level 4, because who ever brought a level 3?) weren't a requirement, and many armies simply ran a hero. The flaw there was that a "Scroll Caddy" developed as the obvious build for any army that didn't want to go heavy on Magic, and magic was a predictable level of Magic Missiles. In 8th, magic was unpredictable (winds instead of base2+wizardlevel=pool) and offered significantly more variety (with Magic Missiles often being the least important part of the lores), but the casting power of a level 4 and the game ending power of (what, 4?) top level spells meant taking a level 4 was basically a "must".

In 9th, levels help, but not as much. A level 1 can be expected to offer REASONABLE defence against a level 4 (whose main advantage is spell knowledge), so even armies who aren't going to go heavy on magic don't need to cram a lvl4 lord into their list.

With changes to unit effecting spells being made, winds of magic still being rolled, and different casting bonuses, my Khorne army (even though it can now include a Priest to dispel, a Dispel Scroll as an Enchanted Item in place of an Arcane one, and the rulebook banner to boost my dispelling) rarely needs any magic defence to work. Of course I take a hit, and it often hurts, but I'm in no way blown out of the water like I was in 8th. On the other hand, my friends armies with Level 3's (yes, people in fact do not always upgrade to level 4 now) and 4's still see enough bonus from these choices to invest in them.

Smooth Boy
13-01-2016, 20:42
In regards to WHFB Roleplay maybe you should try and get the guys behind Zweihander involved? They've spent years on it and its based on WHFB 2nd edition. It also looks like he's almost finished.

MagicAngle
14-01-2016, 03:37

Bravo - you're doing what GW should have done if it had an ounce of understanding of the market.

I'm hugely excited about where you're going to take this. A ruleset that allows me to play a tiny RPG-esque skirmish followed by a grand 9000 pt battle, all within the same overarching games-system is something I've been waiting for since 4th ed popped up, decades ago.

:):):)

Yowzo
14-01-2016, 06:44
One of the things that most unbalanced small games of 8th was 4th level wizards and the damage done by level 6 spells. Lots of people suggested fixes to this (like only rolling 1 dice for Winds of magic at 1500pts and below, which was simple and pretty effective).

We did 2D3 on our 750pt league, and it worked just fine.

Not that many armies could afford a lv4 at that point level, though.

Soundwave
14-01-2016, 10:51

It warms my heart that your heart is warm and warm warm...:shifty:
Anyhow on a serious note thankyou and big thanks to all the contributions. There is a ton of happy people due to these efforts. The scale for different size battles is exactly spot on. I would of been happy with three but the extra mile with the role play is super cool. I hope you can tie in personal characters into a standard game. (Years ago in a white dwarf they had a conversion chart for warhammer quest characters to cross over into fantasy battles, it was cool.)

sephiroth87
14-01-2016, 15:09
You guys are doing God's work. Hope this keeps growing!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sephiroth87
14-01-2016, 15:19
Double post.

Skargit Crookfang
14-01-2016, 16:14
We did 2D3 on our 750pt league, and it worked just fine.

Not that many armies could afford a lv4 at that point level, though.

Exactly what we've been testing out with my "Introduction to 9th Age" group, lately.

We've been playing an escalation campaign:
Dec- 500 pts (2d3 magic)
Jan- 750 pts (2d3 magic)
Feb- 1250 points (thinking of trying 1D6 + 1D3 magic phase... but have to work that out somehow).
Mar- 2000 points

I have a few old friends who have gotten into the hobby BECAUSE of 9th Age (only took me 20 years of badgering them ;) ), and they are loving it. One is playing Lizardmen and the other is making a Pestilence/infantry focused Warriors of the Dark Gods list- there's another couple who are using my O&G and Bretts, respectively (one is going Shieldwolf for minis, the other is looking at Perry minis).

I ended up, for gits and shiggles, playing a game of 8th with the lizardmen player- hated the magic phase. Felt it was way overblown.

Regardless, in my own little world, 9th Age has been a resounding success... and if the Warband rules are good... I can see our Mordheim group taking them on, and may even dip into my Frostgrave group.

Giladisb
14-01-2016, 19:10
I would suggest using 1D6+2D3 choose the higher for the February phase.

Skargit Crookfang
14-01-2016, 19:41
I would suggest using 1D6+2D3 choose the higher for the February phase.

I dig that.

it's an elegant solution with enough of a spread to keep things interesting.

Teurastaja
15-01-2016, 19:46

I will start sooo many small projects when Skirmish and Warbands will be ready. Beast Herd raiding party, Empire of Sonnstahl patrol, list just goes on and on. I really can't wait.
Thank you for all your excellent work.

I wonder how background will be introduced. Will there be a document with some general information?

Giladisb
15-01-2016, 20:20
I wonder how background will be introduced. Will there be a document with some general information?

We have produced the first Army background for Undying Dynasties and are currently working on the general background for the rulebook and are working on the next army background.

Darth Alec
15-01-2016, 22:37
I hope Ogres go back to being Bulls. Never much likes GW making them just "ogres". And "tribesmen" is a bit... small for them :p

Malagor
15-01-2016, 23:12
I don't mind tribesmen. Actually fits more then bulls IMO but then again I'm a 8e OK player so never had that attachment.

Minsc
17-01-2016, 21:36
9th Age is...great. It's all I can say about it.

8th* slowly killed Fantasy in my gaminggroup, and Age of Sigmar was the deathknell.
(*Mostly due to some bad core rules, like OP magic for instance. Rules that mostly have been fixed in 9th Age.)

Most of us (me included) got rid of our WFB-armies after AoS was launched, but 9th was introduced to my group only afew weeks ago, and several old WFB-players have already returned to the game. We also have a couple of new players who never really was interrested by WFB, but who's started armies for 9th Age - the idea of "living" armybooks and a sense of "true" balance (at least the intention of balance) appeals to them.
I'd say we went from 0 to ~10 active fantasy players in less than a month!

I myself didn't realize how much I had missed Fantasy untill now - it was like reuniting with an old friend who you thought was long dead, killed by a greedy and incompetent cooperation. ;)

Yes sadly.

Insane Courage was 100% luck-based.
Rules that are 100% luck-based have no place in 9th, since it's intended to be a competetive game.

Personally I don't mind that they removed it, even if I'm just a "casual".

Malagor
17-01-2016, 23:26
Alot of things is luck based in the game and sometimes you should be reward for being lucky.

GrandmasterWang
18-01-2016, 00:32
Alot of things is luck based in the game and sometimes you should be reward for being lucky.
Indeed. Hoping to roll 'Insane Courage' isn't something one would ever want to rely on. It's like that goblin wounding a dragon. It's very lucky if it happens but makes for a memorable moment.

Ayin
18-01-2016, 00:49
I myself didn't realize how much I had missed Fantasy untill now - it was like reuniting with an old friend who you thought was long dead, killed by a greedy and incompetent cooperation. ;)

Indeed. I was pretty much resigned to probably only playing a few more games of Fantasy in my life, every once in a while with a friend or two, during the conclusion of the End Times and just decided to sit back and do my best to enjoy the story, art, ect.

Now I'm talking to a group of guys who haven't talked about Warhammer in more than a year because 9th Age is something that's gotten them all extremely interested. Coven Thrones having throwing weapons and Skink characters being able to take palanquins are the topics of messages in our online group, just reading through books and excitedly discussing everything and, more than anything, being REALLY excited about so many options. So many real options.

Malagor
18-01-2016, 01:21
Indeed. Hoping to roll 'Insane Courage' isn't something one would ever want to rely on. It's like that goblin wounding a dragon. It's very lucky if it happens but makes for a memorable moment.

Yes, sometimes it's important to preserve the funny moments as well.
In these 3 years that I have been playing I have gotten IC twice when it really mattered.
I didn't win the game because of it but it was a laugh out loud moment for both players each time especially in one fight where only 1 squig hopper(out of 10) survived a onslaught from a necrosphinx and I rolled a double 1 on my break test.
Unexpected, fluffy and hilarious and it's sad that moments like that should just be removed because it only happens once in a blue moon.
It was a rule that was suppose to show the unit standing firm in the face of certain defeat which in 9th Age sadly doesn't exist, no brave troops anymore.

Ayin
18-01-2016, 02:59
It's really easy to house-rule in something that adds more randomness to the game if both players like that. It's harder to house rule OUT something that adds randomness if one player wants it and one doesn't. There was talk of including a section of "optional or removed" rules in the future that players can add in if they like, which would be a perfect place to include things like Insane Courage.

Asmodios
18-01-2016, 05:29
Just thought I would say I had an excellent 9th age game today. Battled my buddy's warriors with my goblins. He ran a full wrath list, I ran a shooting heavy with the trolls and a squig herd. The game was a minor victory for the goblins and we both enjoyed it a ton. The list building has become much more interesting then 8th because far more options are playable for ever army. Keep up the good work.

GrandmasterWang
18-01-2016, 06:04
It's really easy to house-rule in something that adds more randomness to the game if both players like that. It's harder to house rule OUT something that adds randomness if one player wants it and one doesn't. There was talk of including a section of "optional or removed" rules in the future that players can add in if they like, which would be a perfect place to include things like Insane Courage.

I think that would be a good idea. I think 9th Age is a great example of just how positive and pro-active the community can be.

Malagor
18-01-2016, 11:03
That would be a good idea.
Especially if 9th Age is suppose to attract the narrative crowd as well, you will need things like IC.

Niall78
18-01-2016, 12:04

Battletech has this and it works well. The core 'tournament rules' are published in Total Warfare. The second book Tactical Operations is nearly completely optional rules that add realism, rules that make the game fluffier like the depictions in the books, add advanced rules for terrain, weather and gravity and a host of advanced rules for an extreme range of equipment. The players can add as many rules as they deem fit - whatever suits their game or style of play.

The points system works great with the core rules. Once you start adding many of the Tactical Operations rules balance gets more unreliable. This allows for many styles of play. A competitive group will play core rules - only adding advanced options that don't mess with the points system. Scenario, campaign and RPG groups will add anything that adds to their enjoyment - they still have a rough points framework to help balance their scenarios and campaigns internally.

Optional rules are great. They only add to a system. They are pretty impossible to balance within a games points system but for a lot of players the extra fluffiness is well worth the slight imbalance.

My group went with KoW but we are keeping a close eye on 9th. Much respect to everyone involved. It's kind of sad in a way as well - imagine if GW had been using the amazing resource of its own players for the last twenty years? The products would have been amazing.

Ayin
18-01-2016, 12:58
That would be a good idea.
Especially if 9th Age is suppose to attract the narrative crowd as well, you will need things like IC.

It's important to remember that the game is still in it's beta. It's likely very close to being complete, but they're still working away on it, and the version they want to get done is the best balanced, problem free and smoothly playing system they can possibly make, and once that's done, then I think is the time to start looking at the fun options. A great set of Siege rules like the old General's Compendium had would be great as well, but I don't want or expect the designers and such to start work on that until they've got the core mechanics and options in the game running as best as can be done.

Ayin
18-01-2016, 13:31
My group went with KoW but we are keeping a close eye on 9th. Much respect to everyone involved. It's kind of sad in a way as well - imagine if GW had been using the amazing resource of its own players for the last twenty years? The products would have been amazing.

To me, it really just shows priorities. The priorities of the guys working on 9th is to make it the best, most playable game version possible. Imagine if GW had that as a priority? Regardless, it's far too late now and, as you said, much respect for those who ARE willing to put the effort in and put this all together.

Also, don't give up on KoW. That seems a great group of people and a solid game and ever improving line of miniatures, and there's no reason both can't be enjoyed. Kings of War (and this is all my personal opinion) is a game for people who enjoy well made games, where 9th Age is a game for people who enjoy a well made game of Warhammer.

Niall78
18-01-2016, 13:46
To me, it really just shows priorities. The priorities of the guys working on 9th is to make it the best, most playable game version possible. Imagine if GW had that as a priority? Regardless, it's far too late now and, as you said, much respect for those who ARE willing to put the effort in and put this all together.

Also, don't give up on KoW. That seems a great group of people and a solid game and ever improving line of miniatures, and there's no reason both can't be enjoyed. Kings of War (and this is all my personal opinion) is a game for people who enjoy well made games, where 9th Age is a game for people who enjoy a well made game of Warhammer.

Nearly done converting our Mighty Empires campaign to KoW for tactical battles so I'm still heavily involved in fantasy.

We'll hopefully test drive 9th in the near future. The releases so far have been fantastic. It's great to see the community in action. To freeze a community out is to have no community in the modern gaming world in my opinion.

Kisanis
18-01-2016, 18:40

This liberalisation of the mass fantasy wargame genre is a great time.

People can use models from different manufacturers (historicals, Mantic, GW, 3rd party, etc...) and play a variety of games, each with their own flavours, with the same set of models. The rule of cool has gained a new champion!

9th age is the ultimate end of this vision. Free from a business model, its able to be one thing: a solid and balanced set of rules.

Col. Tartleton
20-01-2016, 07:10
Plus rumors say that once they nail down the rules and background for their setting they've been approached by some model companies to help cater directly to the community.

Gamers control the rules and the lore. Model producers can cater their products to the existing community. Everyone wins. If GW doesn't have Dwarf Spearmen but T9A wants them, it doesn't matter. Someone out there either makes them or will be willing to make them if there's a demand for them.

It's like an RPG now. You're loyal to the settings and the rules, not the miniature company that produces models for your games.

Arrahed
21-01-2016, 05:59
Now that I finally managed to play a game in/of the 9th Age I can honestly saz: I love it.

It still feels like Warhammer but runs more smoothly and has less opportunities for rule abuse.

The armies maintained their look and feel and on top of that each got their own unique little gimmick. For example my Wood Elve characters can now join a kindred giving them special abilities finally making combat heros viable. A similar mechanic exists for Forest Spirit heroes which is especially nice for Spirit only armies.

I honestly cannot understand how someone could call this game too streamlined or soulless compared to WFB. If anything, the unique characteristics of each faction are even more pronounced in the 9th Age.

Ayin
21-01-2016, 07:58
There will always be someone throwing a tantrum because the "narrative" of the game has been destroyed by soundly structured rules and reasonable developement of mechanics, it's just how the world is.

It's great that you loved your game of 9th!

ForsetisMuse
21-01-2016, 15:08
Did you guys see the new sneak peek? Looks awesome!
http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index.php?news/194-b-a-sneak-peek/

sephiroth87
21-01-2016, 15:16
There will always be someone throwing a tantrum because the "narrative" of the game has been destroyed by soundly structured rules and reasonable developement of mechanics, it's just how the world is.

It's great that you loved your game of 9th!
I'm playing the army list in an 8th campaign we're starting. I can finally run an orc and goblin cavalry list, an all orc list, and a bunch more themes. Because they've made more stuff viable, I don't feel pressured to run the internet list anymore. I love all the lists, but the O&G team is really making something good so far.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Arrahed
21-01-2016, 15:35
Does that indicate a full Wood Elves army book release? I would love to see some fluff about shapeshifters. The rules are pretty nice but I would like to now how to convert a dedicated shapeshifter model.

Malagor
21-01-2016, 16:40
That artwork is great.
Come on beastmen :D

Teurastaja
21-01-2016, 20:02

:O
I'm beyond impressed.

ewar
21-01-2016, 22:10
That artwork is actually excellent, it must be done by a professional illustrator in his spare time surely??

Malagor
21-01-2016, 22:15
That artwork is actually excellent, it must be done by a professional illustrator in his spare time surely??
A friend of mine is apperently friends with that artist. Works as a Art Director for EA.

Asmodios
21-01-2016, 22:15
from my understanding they have everything from professional artists to lawyers who have volunteered their time to help

GrandmasterWang
22-01-2016, 00:13
That's a nice looking picture. Some of the art in the Tomb Kings 9th beta book was very nice :)

Looking forward to the 1st 'completed' book.

VMBTS
22-01-2016, 00:29
Didn't look deep into the 9th till now, and I'm stunned by the quality and whole organization behind it. Pure dedication!

ewar
22-01-2016, 07:39
Didn't look deep into the 9th till now, and I'm stunned by the quality and whole organization behind it. Pure dedication!

I'm not completely behind all the decisions they've made however you have to applaud the incredible effort and organisation which has gone into this.

I have two more games coming up next weekend so I can nail down my tournament list.

Teurastaja
22-01-2016, 20:47
Soo...are Sylvan Elves next? :shifty:

Bit off topic but I have a question to you guys. Silly thing really, but it's becoming a problem in my community with all that repacking-for-AoS going on. Does anyone know any manufacturer of cheap square and rectangular bases (other than Renedra)? Especially for bigger stuff like chariots and monsters. I mean plain stuff, not those fancy, textured bases ;) I'd really appreciate your advice because the deficit is growing and I still want to buy some stuff from GW for my Vampire Covenant army.

Lars Porsenna
22-01-2016, 20:51
The only sources I know of currently are EM-4 and Reaper. I sometimes trawl ebay as some bits sellers will also sell bases separately too. Some of the bases are sightly different from GW's (i.e. angle on the sides, thickness, etc), so if stuff like that bothers you...

Damon.

ForsetisMuse
22-01-2016, 20:56
Soo...are Sylvan Elves next? :shifty:

Bit off topic but I have a question to you guys. Silly thing really, but it's becoming a problem in my community with all that repacking-for-AoS going on. Does anyone know any manufacturer of cheap square and rectangular bases (other than Renedra)? Especially for bigger stuff like chariots and monsters. I mean plain stuff, not those fancy, textured bases ;) I'd really appreciate your advice because the deficit is growing and I still want to buy some stuff from GW for my Vampire Covenant army.

Yes they are. :)

Also for bases. http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?thread/2586-bases-where-to-find-them/

Zywus
22-01-2016, 21:28
http://war-bases.co.uk/ Is one of my favorites.

They have loads of options if you want custom sized movement trays, trays with cutouts etc. Also very cheap for the simple stuff. 30x 20mm or 12x 50mm squares for 1.75.
Chariot bases (100mm x 50mm) is 5 for 1.75.

You can choose thickness too if you want them to match the height of your existing stuff on GW bases, whereas the plastic green rendera bases is much thinner.

Vazalaar
22-01-2016, 21:35
I use this website (http://www.sarissa-precision.com/). As I am switching to round bases for my newer armies, but I also want to easly rank them up for a game of 8th or 9th Age. I find that those 20/25/32mm round bases work perfectly. It's even better than squares as the end result is the same when you use movemen trays designed for round bases and you get the additional benefit, that you can pivot the miniature so they rank easier and better. I.e the sword is pushing against the model in front, thanks to the round base you can pivot it slightly and voila problem solved ;) .

Zywus
22-01-2016, 22:12
That's a great link Vazalaar.
Finally someone who makes conversion trays without gaps between the cutouts, meaning that the unit footprint is the same as if they were on squares.

Malagor
22-01-2016, 22:25
Thanks for the links, was looking around for such stuff as well.
Only thing I haven't found is 150x100mm bases which will go extinct once the monsters of GW gets rebased.

Zywus
22-01-2016, 22:36
Thanks for the links, was looking around for such stuff as well.
Only thing I haven't found is 150x100mm bases which will go extinct once the monsters of GW gets rebased.
War-bases has them. For some reason they don't show up under 'Premium bases - metric' but you have them under 'Premium bases KoW'
http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_117&product_id=220 2 of them for 1.75

That said. I'm quite sure any manufacturer of MDF bases will cut and sell you squares in most any shape and size you like if you ask them to.

Malagor
22-01-2016, 22:37
ahhh nice, well then we are all set for any rebasing that GW might do(unless they remove the model entirely like they did with the poor oldblood)

rwphillipsstl
23-01-2016, 00:06
What are the medium- to long-term plans for publishing/distributing 9th Age? I am a big fan/follower of the retroclone movement (aka Old School Renaissance) with Dungeons & Dragons, and the various authors of different rulesets make PDFs available on DrivethruRPG, or on Lulu, and the most prolific often make a print-on-demand availability on Lulu or similar (often at cost). It would be great if 9th Age, when it is through its beta stage, were placed on a Lulu.com so that fans could get a quality printed copy.

Teurastaja
23-01-2016, 06:27
Thanks guys, my upcoming projects are safe. New Chaos starter looks tempting, so Warriors of the Dark Gods are probably next for me. I'm thinking about mono-mark list, Change looks fun.

It would be great if 9th Age, when it is through its beta stage, were placed on a Lulu.com so that fans could get a quality printed copy.
I really wouldn't mind buying a printed copy or joining Kickstarter to get one... or ten.

Giladisb
23-01-2016, 13:58
What are the medium- to long-term plans for publishing/distributing 9th Age? I am a big fan/follower of the retroclone movement (aka Old School Renaissance) with Dungeons & Dragons, and the various authors of different rulesets make PDFs available on DrivethruRPG, or on Lulu, and the most prolific often make a print-on-demand availability on Lulu or similar (often at cost). It would be great if 9th Age, when it is through its beta stage, were placed on a Lulu.com so that fans could get a quality printed copy.

Yes we are exploring our options for the future. :)

Vazalaar
23-01-2016, 14:03

Which also would be a huge step forward in securing growth.

Drakkar du Chaos
22-02-2016, 10:11
For those interested : T9A next update will come for mid-march, "official release" planned for April.

Kyriakin
22-02-2016, 13:58
I wish GW would just endorse this. It's like a load of motivated interns doing that messy, time-consuming rules/balancing work for them for free, and doing it better than they ever did.

As GW have themselves vacated the rank-and-file fantasy space, I'm sure they'd prefer a well-run, non-profit, GW-affiliated enterprise filling the vacuum than Mantic.

GW have left the Old World fully behind, so there wouldn't be any chance of 9th Age fluff treading on their toes (besides perhaps making sure slaanesh lore doesn't go "too far" for something with GW endorsement).

The amount of goodwill it would generate may thaw some veteran's attitude to AoS and GW in general. This is important in game clubs and FLGS, where such people are often trendsetters and opinion-formers.

Hell, down the line GW could even release the most popular "legacy" miniatures and have a small market for them without lifting a finger.

Disallowed use of GW trademarks and lack of "officialdom" are the only things keeping several people I know from jumping in to The 9th Age. Eventually, a solid book (i.e. a physical product) would help too.

Skargit Crookfang
22-02-2016, 14:59
I wish GW would just endorse this. It's like a load of motivated interns doing that messy, time-consuming rules/balancing work for them for free, and doing it better than they ever did.

As GW have themselves vacated the rank-and-file fantasy space, I'm sure they'd prefer a well-run, non-profit, GW-affiliated enterprise filling the vacuum than Mantic.

GW have left the Old World fully behind, so there wouldn't be any chance of 9th Age fluff treading on their toes (besides perhaps making sure slaanesh lore doesn't go "too far" for something with GW endorsement).

The amount of goodwill it would generate may thaw some veteran's attitude to AoS and GW in general. This is important in game clubs and FLGS, where such people are often trendsetters and opinion-formers.

Hell, down the line GW could even release the most popular "legacy" miniatures and have a small market for them without lifting a finger.

Disallowed use of GW trademarks and lack of "officialdom" are the only things keeping several people I know from jumping in to The 9th Age. Eventually, a solid book (i.e. a physical product) would help too.

Well, I've said it before, but worth mentioning again: my local GW is fine with 9th Age being played (provided you're using their minis) and it's been a real boon for ...them. We have a decent little group going, and everyone is dropping cash for new units, new armies and, hell, we even have a few people who are playing fantasy for the first time...ever.

This tired old canard of 9th being on a clock because there will be no new players is a pant-load. It isn't just my local scene, you can find people discovering 9th Age and starting their FB career right now...they're all over the 9th Age forums. Free rules helps, and the alternative miniature sections (ie: cheaper Mantic analogues) are encouraging people getting into the game at a lower cost of entry. I mean, look at some of those army deals... you can play KoW with 'em, and even craft a 2k list for 9th at less of a cost than 2 boxes of Witch Elves or Fyreslyyrs (well, maybe not less... but not far off).

At current standing, it is a big help to GW... but as more mini companies begin honing their skills at hard plastic, and producing minis (ShieldWolf, Russian Alternative, GameZone...Mantic...) it will start biting into their profit. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if companies like Titan Forge, and the above, gave shout outs to T9A, eventually.

I know to many it's simply a fun curiosity, but after watching a previously DoA scene revived upon the inception of 9th Age...well... GW had better find out how to capitalize on this, rather than ignore or shun it... or it could bit 'em- if not just direct profit, also for perceived competence (which isn't very high to begin with)

Asmodios
22-02-2016, 16:09
Played 2 games of 9th on Sunday and have to say the game is really great. My goblins were unable to pull out a win but both games were very close right up to the end. Both The Dark Elves and Vamps i played both felt very in place. The dark elves felt like the glass cannon i always thought they should be and no unit i faced felt unstoppable.

New_guy
22-02-2016, 18:20
I love 9th age! We had a tournament in Estonia. "Warhammer 9th age Baltic Sea Cup".
And I was surprised how many people actually support 9th age, and came all this way, from France and Germany!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrBxeuuS3yk

Skargit Crookfang
22-02-2016, 18:26
I love 9th age! We had a tournament in Estonia. "Warhammer 9th age Baltic Sea Cup".
And I was surprised how many people actually support 9th age, and came all this way, from France and Germany!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrBxeuuS3yk

It's good to hear that the game is gaining traction all over the world.

With the next update in like a week and the 1.0 edition slated for April, it's going to be neat seeing the armies begin stabilizing and seeing how the global meta shakes out.... and if it gets too out of control, things can be fixed with the proper data reported.

Freak Ona Leash
22-02-2016, 19:38
I haven't played Warhammer in probably eight years. Last game was a Dark Elves versus Empire one back in...7th? Can't even remember, was using a loaned army.

Either way, been playing Return of Reckoning (a Warhammer Online private server that is, thanks to a volunteer dev team devoted to bug fixes and balancing, much better than the live game was. It is, in many ways, the 9th Age of WAR) and that got me nostalgic for the Old World. I greatly dislike Age of Sigmar, and even most of the background GW released for 8th edition. I thought 5th/6th/early 7th had the best background, alongside WFRP 1st/2nd eds.

So, 9th Age has brought me out of my longtime hiatus and motivated me to start collecting and painting again.

Question: where are some good alternatives to GW Warriors of Chaos models? Not a fan of the new Age of Sigmar ones, and having trouble locating the WHFB ones at local stores. Could buy online, but figure it wouldn't hurt to know of alternatives. I already know about Avatars of War, but I hear they are very unreliable when it comes to shipping and so on.

Skargit Crookfang
22-02-2016, 19:45
I haven't played Warhammer in probably eight years. Last game was a Dark Elves versus Empire one back in...7th? Can't even remember, was using a loaned army.

Either way, been playing Return of Reckoning (a Warhammer Online private server that is, thanks to a volunteer dev team devoted to bug fixes and balancing, much better than the live game was. It is, in many ways, the 9th Age of WAR) and that got me nostalgic for the Old World. I greatly dislike Age of Sigmar, and even most of the background GW released for 8th edition. I thought 5th/6th/early 7th had the best background, alongside WFRP 1st/2nd eds.

So, 9th Age has brought me out of my longtime hiatus and motivated me to start collecting and painting again.

Question: where are some good alternatives to GW Warriors of Chaos models? Not a fan of the new Age of Sigmar ones, and having trouble locating the WHFB ones at local stores. Could buy online, but figure it wouldn't hurt to know of alternatives. I already know about Avatars of War, but I hear they are very unreliable when it comes to shipping and so on.

Welcome back to the fold, friend!

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/blog/index.php?entry/11-warriors-of-the-wastes/
This should get you started on alternate models!

I HUGELY suggest Russian Alternative, when possible (such as Barbarians). Their Chaos Dwarf line is incredible, and actually got me to start the army on a whim a few weeks ago based on price and model quality.

Zywus
22-02-2016, 21:15
MoM miniatures have pretty swanky looking chaos warriors. I haven't ordered any myself so can't say anything on the casting qualities but they look alright.
http://www.momminiaturas.com/catalog-cat%C3%A1logo/figuras-28mm/b%C3%A1rbaros/

Col.Beefeater
22-02-2016, 22:32
Does 9th Age have plans to provide rules for the new models coming out from Games Workshop?

I picked up the new starter set and have been painting the Stormcasts and basing them on 40x40mm squares as I'm actually quite fond of the models. If 9th were to provide support for them I would likely check it out.

My other army is High Elves and as it stands I'm not really in love with the loss of ASF for them in 9th.

Giladisb
22-02-2016, 22:52
Does 9th Age have plans to provide rules for the new models coming out from Games Workshop?

I picked up the new starter set and have been painting the Stormcasts and basing them on 40x40mm squares as I'm actually quite fond of the models. If 9th were to provide support for them I would likely check it out.

My other army is High Elves and as it stands I'm not really in love with the loss of ASF for them in 9th.

Providing an army where models such as those produced by GW for Stormcasts could be usable is one of the things on our to do list in the future. When exactly it hasn't been determined yet, because we first must sort out the 16 Core Armies.

Col.Beefeater
23-02-2016, 04:07
Providing an army where models such as those produced by GW for Stormcasts could be usable is one of the things on our to do list in the future. When exactly it hasn't been determined yet, because we first must sort out the 16 Core Armies.

Awesome, well I'll definitely have to keep my eye on the project then.

Yowzo
23-02-2016, 08:28
That said. I'm quite sure any manufacturer of MDF bases will cut and sell you squares in most any shape and size you like if you ask them to.

For plastic models, foam board is cheap, available everywhere, easy to cut and holds weight well enough.

Would not use it for metal minis, though.

Kisanis
23-02-2016, 14:55
Renedra does square of various sizes by the sprue.

Have a look around, squares are still in vogue with mantic and histricals, so they are out there!

Teurastaja
28-02-2016, 09:07
http://www.proxiemodels.com makes nice bases, but shipping cost to Europe is just terrible.

Skargit Crookfang
28-02-2016, 13:24
If anyone's in the Halifax area, let us know here and we'll get some gaming in: https://www.facebook.com/groups/183688475331017/

MOMUS
29-02-2016, 20:36
Ninth age does look tempting, I've had a glance through the rules and it looks like the developers have done a pretty good job polishing up the rules and mainly clarifying the wording.

A couple of questionable exceptions were the changes to scout (now must be 18 away from enemy) and the champion in a unit making the unit auto charge at minimum 4". The scout thing is just plain wrong and has been brought up many times on the forum whereas the champ charge ruling feels like they're trying to shoehorn in the old 8"inch dance from 7th ed.

Minsc
29-02-2016, 20:42
They're trying to eliminate extreme randomness. This is why Insane Courage is removed, and why champions now guarantee at least a 4" charge.

MOMUS
01-03-2016, 06:25
Was sad to see insane courage go too.

i don't really see it it as extreme randomness regarding a charge rate as with an adverage unit it's move will be 4 and the most common result on the dice a 7. Meaning there is chance to go further and chance to go less. There is risk reward, setting it as a min 8 reduces the element of chance too much IMO on a game that already only has 1/6 or 1/36 outcomes at most.

Ghremdal
01-03-2016, 11:22
If you like randomness don't take a champion then. Aside from being challenge bait, champions were pretty much useless before.

Minsc
01-03-2016, 15:35
Was sad to see insane courage go too.

i don't really see it it as extreme randomness regarding a charge rate as with an adverage unit it's move will be 4 and the most common result on the dice a 7. Meaning there is chance to go further and chance to go less. There is risk reward, setting it as a min 8 reduces the element of chance too much IMO on a game that already only has 1/6 or 1/36 outcomes at most.

A 1/36 chance of screwing up your opponents (or vice verca) carefully thought out battleplan including several redirections, flankcharges, etc, only to have the last peasany levy standing and preventing that chosen-block from munching trough the rest of your army is extremely random. There's no skill involved, just luck.

With that said, nothing prevents you from houseruling it back in your LGS. :)

Malagor
01-03-2016, 15:46
Well as Napoleon once said in regard to one of his generals "Yes I know he is great but is he lucky ?"

MOMUS
01-03-2016, 18:15
A 1/36 chance of screwing up your opponents (or vice verca) carefully thought out battleplan including several redirections, flankcharges, etc, only to have the last peasany levy standing and preventing that chosen-block from munching trough the rest of your army is extremely random. There's no skill involved, just luck.

Ah ah but would you consider it skillful to manoeuvre a unit into 8 to get the autocharge? Is that a skill? Maybe in 7th but not in 9th where you can pre measure everything.
I'm under no illusions it won't change and now champions have a use I'm sure everyone is happy.

ive found the general re-pointing of most units to be pretty good.

dalezzz
01-03-2016, 18:30
Yeah I'm in a similar situation , 9th looks mostly good but there are a few key rules changes keeping me from playing it for now, pretty much the ones MOMUS mentions and making cannons crap ... Ohh and I'm not keen on the changes to steadfast either

Malagor
01-03-2016, 18:53
Well it's not a perfect ruleset and it will never be that.
Auto-break is crap, alot of fluffy rules being removed is crap, ridden monster rule at the moment is crap, bound spells that are even easier to dispel and so on that mixed in with the good stuff that they did.
They got a tough balancing act to do, mean you can just look at the various army forums and their discussions regarding the sneak peaks for their army, they are heated and in terms of High Elves and Daemons quite unpleasant.
Can only hope that they will get it as close to perfect as they can one day.

Vazalaar
01-03-2016, 18:54

I don't see the problem with a bit of randomness. It's the thing that can make somethings wonderful in RL. For Warhammer, the extremely rare times that I rolled snake eyes for a break test were memorable moments:D. 9th Age is good, but for me it isn't better than 8th edition. Just a different take on Warhammer.

While 9th Age is a community project it is still very heavily focussed in a direction that a small group thinks how the game needs to be.

Some armylists I find good, but some like KoE are very lackluster in comparison with EoS.. .

Folomo
01-03-2016, 19:16
A few comments on my experiences and new info for those that may not be up to date :)

Ah ah but would you consider it skillful to manoeuvre a unit into 8 to get the autocharge?

I can remember a pretty recent game where after a complicated position war, I finally redirected a frenzied model within 9" from a flank charge from my Shabties. I rolled a 3 on the distance, which would have been a failed charge on my part had I not had a champion. Not sure if the champion rule is needed, but there are some situations where rolling a 3 and losing a game after a long and interesting back and forth may not be the most satisfying outcome for neither player.

But I do miss insane courage from time to time.

making cannons crap
Currently cannons hit on 3+ large targets, which is the same 66% chance to hit than before. They make an average of 3 wound against non-fliers and 4 against fliers, which is pretty identical to the old 3.5 average wounds of the cannon. And they don't explode and grant VP on a 1-2 like before. Long distance and engineers may change these number depending on position and choices taken. So not much difference. IME a big difference is that now you can't bounce a cannonball through a building to hit a monster behind.

bound spells that are even easier to dispel
They are harder to dispel than in 8th. A typical army had a +4 to dispel before and now the number is +3 against bound spells on a similar situation.

They got a tough balancing act to do, mean you can just look at the various army forums and their discussions regarding the sneak peaks for their army, they are heated and in terms of High Elves and Daemons quite unpleasant.
Something that I didn't expect at all was that a majority of the community of each faction considered that the nerfs where necessary to have an interesting game with enough diversity. I expected far far more conflict TBH. Was positively surprised.

Malagor
01-03-2016, 20:06
I wasn't talking about in terms of 8e when it came to bound spells, thinking about in 9th age but I should have been clearer on that.
My first army and first love is Beastmen(surprise) and I loved the idea of the totems that they have in 9th age(overall Beast Herd is great) but at the moment they aren't worth the points.
Could be unlucky since so far I haven't had a single magic phase in 9th Age where I had more then 6 power dices.

Evil Hypnotist
02-03-2016, 11:47
I have been enjoying it, although trying to keep abreast of some of the changes can be difficult (I will be glad when v1.0 is released). My overall feeling is that it plays very closely to 8th, just a bit more thought out. I was disappointed they dropped the supporting wizards idea - I felt that added more tactical thought to the magic phase. On the other hand, miscasting based on number of dice used was a very good idea. Also the flexibility in the army books has impressed me - plans to start a Sylven Elf army have warped into a forest spirit army. I just need to assemble them now!

Skargit Crookfang
02-03-2016, 13:30
For the record, yes...Daemon Legions are getting nerfed. And yes, we deserve it.

Since starting with 9th Age, I've actually stopped playing my goblins entirely... not because of anything done badly on the O&G side...but because of a random eBay deal that found me with a bunch of DL kits and zero experience with the army. It's been a lot of fun. DL is one of those armies that, if you learn their lanes and general uses, can steamroll almost any opponent... and that needed to be toned down a bit. That said, the nerfs aren't all THAT bad- less auto-inc. and no more double GD, double Daemon Engine lists (I'm a little sad about the second, as I just put together a second one... but oh well, c'est la vie).

The DL section hasn't been THAT negative re: the re-balancing (which was needed). As for the HE...ah.... no comment ;)

dalezzz
02-03-2016, 18:07
The DL section hasn't been THAT negative re: the re-balancing (which was needed). As for the HE...ah.... no comment ;)

Im gonna have to check this out , and maybe learn to live with the bits I dislike about 9th.
if the high elf players are annoyed enough it must be good! :D

Skargit Crookfang
02-03-2016, 18:13
Im gonna have to check this out , and maybe learn to live with the bits I dislike about 9th.
if the high elf players are annoyed enough it must be good! :D
It's like all things- good and bad. I just feel like the good vastly outweighs the bad.

I can deal with IC going away (as funny as it was)... but that also means my DL don't "pop" on a 12....which is good. It's also nice to see that, while my main army is going through a nerfing phase...it isn't uncalled for, nor is it extreme.

On the flipside, you can see that several armies are going to be buffed, or leveled out, both internally and externally.

Honestly, it's just fun being part of the process, and the more ideas, insights and opinions, the better!

Malagor
02-03-2016, 18:51
Yeah it is a fun process especially now that the sneak peaks are starting to butt in on my armies(besides Ogre Khans who will recieve a overall buff which is nice).
But as long as they don't nerf Beastmen(which they shouldn't since they seem to be in the proper spot right now) and certainly not nerf Bretonnia things should be fine on my front.
If they nerf Bretonnia you will see a rage-fest by the likes that no one has ever seen before, it will put the high elves to shame. :p

Skargit Crookfang
02-03-2016, 19:08
I doubt KoE are getting nerfed- if anything, they have elements that need a slight buff. Too few list variants at this time, and I think you'll probably see that get expanded.

That said, Knights Forlorn and Battle Pilgrims have some interesting possibilities re: an infantry heavy force... so Fireforge games has a great multi-box deal on... ;)

Mech87
03-03-2016, 10:25
Only very recently got curious again after being very dissapointed by the first 9th age draft.

All the army books are also coming very nicely along so might pull my models out of the box again.

Folomo
03-03-2016, 14:46
I think a few people looked at the 9th age proyect on its early stage and where disappointed. The game has advances a lot since its first versions. I would recommend for people on the fence to wait for the v1 of the game, which should be done in april.

Malagor
03-03-2016, 18:27
Yay no nerfs for Bretonnia.

Horus38
03-03-2016, 18:29
I think a few people looked at the 9th age proyect on its early stage and where disappointed. The game has advances a lot since its first versions. I would recommend for people on the fence to wait for the v1 of the game, which should

^ This. I've been eagerly following 9th for the last 5 months and have been very impressed with the product and level of feedback/involvement from the community.

Vazalaar
03-03-2016, 19:08
Yay no nerfs for Bretonnia.

It looks okay, I still hope they removed the flail option from the Folorn knights and replace it with greatsword. I even think spears make more sense that flails.

MOMUS
04-03-2016, 13:31
Oooofff. Lizardmen really got whacked by the Nerf bat, the recent sneak peak looks mighty harsh on the cold bloods.

Overall not that concerned. But one of the proposed changes just doesn't sit with me, blowpipe skinks are being moved to special.
Seems wrong from a fluff, balance and theme point of view. Core has always been limited for LM further reducing the options seems a very negative step rather than accurately pointing the 'over powered' choice. (I don't know who thinks they're OP) furthermore the special selection is now clogged up even more, again having the net effect of reducing choices.

If they really needed to move them to special I would've combined them with the (now useless) camo skinks, having a skink skirmisher unit who can be upgraded to chameleon for X pts.

Folomo
04-03-2016, 17:05
Well, they can still have the same skins in core and mantain the same type of list, expect now they don't have poisoned shots.

At least the UD construct are happy there is a chance for them to play. There is a reason this comic by Zaidar exists:

MOMUS
04-03-2016, 17:19
That cartoon is funny, except UD constructs have T8 mean the vast amount of shots are wasted, 3 poison from 20 skinks is fair. Rather than worry about the shots I would think TK players would be wanting a better armour save than 5+ on a sphinx -or just outright make them immune to poison.
Poisoned shot was not OP*, if it was it could've been recosted. A major theme has been cut from the list due to the team bending to opponents wishes and being unable to buff the saurus option enough to make them a viable choice tactically and thematically.

Vazalaar
05-03-2016, 09:43
I think 9th Age shows how difficult it is to balance Warhammer. To me the quest to balance the game and make every unit usefull destroys for me the immersion of Warhammer. Maybe because I am not at tournament player and only play casual games with friends that I don't mind randomness, whacky rules and actual use units because the rule of cool regardless of their perfomance.

I always liked the random movement of squigs / squig hoppers, but now it is changed to a fly move instead. I don't like that they try to eliminate every bit of randomness of the game.

If I would like to play a truely balanced game, I would play KoW. Imo the quest for balance seems to kill the uniqueness/flavour of certain armies.

I think background/fluff should also come before balance.

I am starting to get less hyped about 9th age, but becoming more hyped by the Warhammer Armies Project (http://warhammerarmiesproject.blogspot.be/).

Malagor
08-03-2016, 18:41
0.99 has now been released

Folomo
08-03-2016, 18:53
Hype!!
/10chars

Yowzo
09-03-2016, 08:45
That cartoon is funny, except UD constructs have T8 mean the vast amount of shots are wasted, 3 poison from 20 skinks is fair.

Except those darn skinks shoot twice. 20 skinks with blowpipes are 40 shots meaning 6 2/3 poison hits, so yeah, there's a good chance your 220 point sphinx goes dies (used to die, rather) outright to 100 points of skinks on one round of shooting.

Skargit Crookfang
09-03-2016, 15:20
Though, poison blowpipe skinks aren't in core anymore- so that's nice.

Malagor
09-03-2016, 18:49
Had two matches today, one against a mixed daemon list and one against Ogres with my beastmen.
Against daemons it was a loss but fairly even. Against Ogres however, with the whole army with mark of wraith, it was insanity, pure insanity. I had no chance at all.
+1 to hit on ogres is just brutal.
It's one of those moments when you just crawl up into the fetus position and cry.

WarsmithGarathor94
20-03-2016, 14:08
So not read the main rulebook yet but it looks like they have made dread elves quite fun :D is it me or are cults of slaanesh back

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Soundwave
20-03-2016, 15:23
So not read the main rulebook yet but it looks like they have made dread elves quite fun :D is it me or are cults of slaanesh back

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk
Yes how awesome is that. Also what I am most excited about is I can use my fleet master model and he won't suck :).

Drakkar du Chaos
20-03-2016, 16:03
Had two matches today, one against a mixed daemon list and one against Ogres with my beastmen.
Against daemons it was a loss but fairly even. Against Ogres however, with the whole army with mark of wraith, it was insanity, pure insanity. I had no chance at all.
+1 to hit on ogres is just brutal.
It's one of those moments when you just crawl up into the fetus position and cry.

Yep Ogres with Marks aren't balanced at all. Hate the concept too.

Malagor
20-03-2016, 16:41
Yep Ogres with Marks aren't balanced at all. Hate the concept too.
I like the concept but maybe not the warriors marks tho.
And now with them getting parry on ironfists(a great thing) and mark of nurgle, most armies will be hitting them on 5+.

Skargit Crookfang
20-03-2016, 20:06
Well... about 8 games with V.099 so far and I love it.

The main rules are tighter than ever (love the no rerolls for misfires on cannons.

Hellfire got nerfed a tad too hard.

Mono-Change is still a bad-bad mama jamma of a build- though, I'll be adding some Lust into the list after my decision that I will never, ever, ever run a GD or DP again (all except one game were wiped off the table by turn 2). No more. It's Harb Spam time.

Also, Horrors may be the unsung heroes of the entire Daemon list. Cheap at 8 points (with DI and a 5++!) and the ability to spam blue fire is just way, way too fun. Also, one of the few scoring units in our list. Pink fire certainly adds a whole new level of danger to these fellas, as well.

New list is essentially
Harb of Change (lvl1) Burning Chariot, Farseeing
Harb of Change (lvl1) Burning Chariot, Farseeing
Harb of Lust (lvl 1) Seeker, Lash of Lust, Paired Weapons

20 Horrors - Full Command (Conclave)
20 Horrors - Full Command (Conclave)
15 Sirens - Full Command (may find a way to give them Banner of Speed)

3 Clawed Fiends - Paired Weapons
3 Sky Serpents
3 Sky Serpents
5 Furies - Mark of Lust

Blazing Chariot
Blazing Chariot
Daemon Engine - Mark of Change, Paired Weapons, Hellish Breath

It's gross. And I love it.

scruffyryan
20-03-2016, 20:46
Except those darn skinks shoot twice. 20 skinks with blowpipes are 40 shots meaning 6 2/3 poison hits, so yeah, there's a good chance your 220 point sphinx goes dies (used to die, rather) outright to 100 points of skinks on one round of shooting.

I've never had a situation occur where that many skinks got to shoot twice and keep poisoned shots even once due to the 12 inch range on blowpipes.

hit on 4's
usually 5's for moving into range
then 6's for long range
then 7's (no poison) for the double tap.

Yowzo
20-03-2016, 20:48
I've never had a situation occur where that many skinks got to shoot twice and keep poisoned shots even once due to the 12 inch range on blowpipes.

hit on 4's
usually 5's for moving into range
then 6's for long range
then 7's (no poison) for the double tap.
In 9th age blowpipes have +1 to hit large targets.

finaglista
21-03-2016, 15:13
I just LOVE new VC and my Orcs and Gobos are just brutal and they can finally go to CC list, Thank you.

Soundwave
21-03-2016, 15:37
Is it safe to print some copies yet or will it change agian soonish?

Skargit Crookfang
21-03-2016, 15:54
Wait until early April... that's when 1.0 is officially released, then it'll be safe for quite some time.

Teurastaja
15-04-2016, 18:48
So, final beta is out. What do you guys think?

Arrahed
15-04-2016, 19:24
So, final beta is out. What do you guys think?
I liked it. Wood Elves seemed pretty good in 0.99. Ogres were a little bit too weak in my opinion. Overall I had a lot of fun, though.

Now its time to wait for version 1.00 that is supposed to be released within the next two weeks. Everyone who thinks about getting invested in T9A should probably wait until then.

ForsetisMuse
15-04-2016, 19:34
There will be NO rules/ points changes before v1.0. For all intents and purposes, this is 1.0. V.99.4 just gives us a chance to clear up any wording discrepancies, typos, layout issues, etc. before the "Final" version.

Teurastaja
15-04-2016, 20:25
There will be NO rules/ points changes before v1.0. For all intents and purposes, this is 1.0. V.99.4 just gives us a chance to clear up any wording discrepancies, typos, layout issues, etc. before the "Final" version.

Great! Then I should start painting my medusa and maybe buy something... like new army or two.

stortotta
17-04-2016, 07:34
1.0 in late April, no changes to the rules (just typoes, clarifications etc), and it seems that it will stand for six months. So it should be safe to print once 1.0 is released. Then the armybooks will follow over the course of a couple of years. At least this is what I've gathered on the 9th age forum. I'm not involved in any way, just trying to clarify =)

Skargit Crookfang
18-04-2016, 17:49
Okay, so we have loads of smaller mini manufacturers supporting the project.... now this:

http://www.shieldwolfminiatures.com/index.php

Psyched!

Malagor
18-04-2016, 20:02
Nah, there will never be model support for this game.
It's dead in the water since there will never be any new models and if it ain't GW then it ain't worth it. *sarcasm off*

Arrahed
18-04-2016, 20:13
Awesome. Shieldwolf makes some pretty miniatures. I am curious whether we will see some dedicated T9A stuff.

outbreak
18-04-2016, 22:00
Played my first games afew days ago, i liked it basically an 8th ed with balanced army books and toned down magic. My only concern will be that because it's not an official product launch with a buy in price the people running it might chop and change too frequently which will lead to too many different versions of each army book being released.

Arrahed
19-04-2016, 06:51
I believe the overall plan is to update the rules about once a year. Probably with some kind of testing period before each update. Since the organizers are heavily involved in the tournament scene, I think we can expect that they will stick to that plan because messing up rules during tournament season would be a horrible idea.

I think updating the rules once a year sounds very reasonable.

doyouevenrealisebro?
19-04-2016, 12:00
Once a year seems reasonable. As it also allows time for the meta to evolve to deal with trickier combos. Which is part of the fun for me, I love designing counters when I have come across a particularly hard list. Very glad the final results are out though. I was getting a bit disengaged with all the changes and have mostly stayed with 8th. But now I think I will be diving head into this as army list writing is now new and exciting again.

Skargit Crookfang
19-04-2016, 18:17
There's the obligatory ZOMG I GOT NERFED going on... but fairly calm, all things considered. hell, my army (DL) got whacked hardest by the nerf bat last update, and we DESERVED IT. Even with the nerf, we're still a fantastic army- just requires a bit more planning/strategy now (hence why I'm a 50% win ratio guy...not a tournie winner ;) )

outbreak
20-04-2016, 04:30
There's the obligatory ZOMG I GOT NERFED going on... but fairly calm, all things considered. hell, my army (DL) got whacked hardest by the nerf bat last update, and we DESERVED IT. Even with the nerf, we're still a fantastic army- just requires a bit more planning/strategy now (hence why I'm a 50% win ratio guy...not a tournie winner ;) )

most armies seem nerfed compared to 8th ed books but it's across the board so it works imo

Asmodios
25-04-2016, 15:17
Just wanted to say you guys did a good job with the map locator on the 9th age website. Played a game against a new group this weekend because they could see i was close on the map. 9th age is still far behind KOW here in Texas but it seems like lots of people are going to be playing both now that the rules are finalized (had quiet a few people watch our game/ as questions and say they were going to check out the rules). Already have about 10 opponents i know about in the immediate area.

2DSick
06-06-2016, 21:31
So a while ago we were talking about scibor's interest in the continues miniature support of ranked fantasy games...

And today I see this....

Jaw. Drop.

Teurastaja
07-06-2016, 04:20
So a while ago we were talking about scibor's interest in the continues miniature support of ranked fantasy games...

And today I see this....

Jaw. Drop.

I don't really like most of his minis but those are pretty amazing.

logan054
07-06-2016, 07:37
Right, these guys are "supporting" the project rather than just using the 9th age to shift extra models.

Zywus
07-06-2016, 08:17
Making suitable models is supporting the project.

Of course they do it to shift models. That's kinda the point of a miniature company isin't it?

Yowzo
07-06-2016, 08:30
I don't really like most of his minis but those are pretty amazing.

These were the minis that made me start a dwarf army:

There's nothing like that on a price-quality ratio.

Shieldwolf Miniatures
07-06-2016, 08:57
Right, these guys are "supporting" the project rather than just using the 9th age to shift extra models.

We usually restrict ourselves to simply monitoring without responding to threads that have something/anything to do with us but allow me to interfere here Sir, we have been mailing (and will certainly continue to do so) free parcels of goodies all over the world to sponsor T9A tournaments; people will certainly testify to that, and best part is it is us who usually come in contact with TOs as most people are too shy to ask or simply unaware of the support Shieldwolf has offered. T9A needs all the help it can get and we are more than willing to give it to them.

I don't know and will certainly not speak on behalf of other manufacturers, but Shieldwolf has a solid reputation and is run by people who love fantasy army wargaming (Angelos, the owner, is an especially avid fantasy enthusiast). That's also why we boldly came out stating we are the first to actively support T9A, something noone had done for this valiant community effort and now a fact clearly undisputed. On top of the direct expenses (P&P, labor hours, product) the company is committed to, Angelos instructed to place the T9A logo in our front webstore page, with direct link to the T9A website which directs additional traffic to these people. Additional posts are done from time to time on our FaceBook page, and we have a very respectable number of daily visits to both webstore and FB page.

I think this is *all* about genuine support, nowhere did we offer sales or other incentives in order to merely sell more from our range, others may do what they like but in regards to Shieldwolf Miniatures the term "to shift extra models" is, at the very least, excessive.

Thank you for reading.

Georgios.

theunwantedbeing
07-06-2016, 10:48

Jaw. Drop.

My reaction was more one of laughter at how silly those helmets look.

Teurastaja
07-06-2016, 12:29
My reaction was more one of laughter at how silly those helmets look.

To be honest I like those helmets a lot. It's nice to see Scibor trying something different.

If you want to complain about something 9th Age-related please start another thread.

Arrahed
07-06-2016, 13:14
We usually restrict ourselves to simply monitoring without responding to threads that have something/anything to do with us but allow me to interfere here Sir, we have been mailing (and will certainly continue to do so) free parcels of goodies all over the world to sponsor T9A tournaments; people will certainly testify to that, and best part is it is us who usually come in contact with TOs as most people are too shy to ask or simply unaware of the support Shieldwolf has offered. T9A needs all the help it can get and we are more than willing to give it to them.

I don't know and will certainly not speak on behalf of other manufacturers, but Shieldwolf has a solid reputation and is run by people who love fantasy army wargaming (Angelos, the owner, is an especially avid fantasy enthusiast). That's also why we boldly came out stating we are the first to actively support T9A, something noone had done for this valiant community effort and now a fact clearly undisputed. On top of the direct expenses (P&P, labor hours, product) the company is committed to, Angelos instructed to place the T9A logo in our front webstore page, with direct link to the T9A website which directs additional traffic to these people. Additional posts are done from time to time on our FaceBook page, and we have a very respectable number of daily visits to both webstore and FB page.

I think this is *all* about genuine support, nowhere did we offer sales or other incentives in order to merely sell more from our range, others may do what they like but in regards to Shieldwolf Miniatures the term "to shift extra models" is, at the very least, excessive.

Thank you for reading.

Georgios.

Its great to read what a miniature manufacturer 'supporting T9A' actually means. Thanks for clearing that up.

If you want to complain about something 9th Age-related please start another thread.

I agree. Constructive criticism is always appreciated but dismissive comments about a vaguely related topic could result in untimely thread locking which would be unfortunate.

theunwantedbeing
07-06-2016, 13:17
To be honest I like those helmets a lot. It's nice to see Scibor trying something different.

Agreed :)
I like them a lot too, just for different reasons.

Soundwave
07-06-2016, 13:40

Agreed :)
I like them a lot too, just for different reasons.

That is pretty funny and very cheeky.

Captain Marius
07-06-2016, 17:43
They look ace, more of that sort of thing please (yeah id use them for aos but they are nice!!)

Asmodios
07-06-2016, 21:06

And today I see this....

Jaw. Drop.
Those look really good. There are several companies that make dwarfs i find much nicer then GW's

ewar
09-06-2016, 10:20

I was going to respond to this, but Shieldwolf actually got there first and gave you a personal reply! I'm sure you will of course take the opportunity to apologise to them directly for your rudeness (haha, who am I kidding, this is the internet and people don't behave like actual normal human beings here).

p.s. out of interest, I'm kind of at a loss as to why any gamer would actually resent a model company professing support for a community project. We as players need models, they as a business need customers. Marrying the two together is surely a positive outcome for everyone - so I don't understand how you could possibly see something negative in there?

Alltaken
11-06-2016, 15:15

And today I see this....

Jaw. Drop.
Has anyone seen the sprue for this? I like em a lot, except for those helmets.
Those look terrible to me and I would want to know if they can be replaceable

Luigi
13-06-2016, 18:01
speaking of rules...how does 9th age play while using 8t edition army books?
Or even the opposite, how would a 9th age army book play in 8th?

logan054
13-06-2016, 18:43
I was going to respond to this, but Shieldwolf actually got there first and gave you a personal reply! I'm sure you will of course take the opportunity to apologise to them directly for your rudeness (haha, who am I kidding, this is the internet and people don't behave like actual normal human beings here).

p.s. out of interest, I'm kind of at a loss as to why any gamer would actually resent a model company professing support for a community project. We as players need models, they as a business need customers. Marrying the two together is surely a positive outcome for everyone - so I don't understand how you could possibly see something negative in there?

I don't resent anyone, I see it as people taking advantage of an opportunity. I was also more talking about scibor. I don't really she how generally who sells expensive models jumping on the bandwagon is a positive. It's not like many of these companies have been making models specifically for the 9th.

As for Shieldwolf, good for him being the exception, I don't believe I specifically said anything about him. As far as I was aware, he was writing his own rules system,I'm sure I've seen mention of this in his site when I've had a quick glance.

I'm pretty sure AoW is offering the same "support" as other companies, Making models inspired by GW. The situation isn't any different than with 8th ed, people are just wise enough to join in on wave of anger creates by GW cancelling 8th and slapping out AoS.

Asmodios
13-06-2016, 22:39
I don't resent anyone, I see it as people taking advantage of an opportunity. I was also more talking about scibor. I don't really she how generally who sells expensive models jumping on the bandwagon is a positive. It's not like many of these companies have been making models specifically for the 9th.

As for Shieldwolf, good for him being the exception, I don't believe I specifically said anything about him. As far as I was aware, he was writing his own rules system,I'm sure I've seen mention of this in his site when I've had a quick glance.

I'm pretty sure AoW is offering the same "support" as other companies, Making models inspired by GW. The situation isn't any different than with 8th ed, people are just wise enough to join in on wave of anger creates by GW cancelling 8th and slapping out AoS.
All business in any market are filling the demand for a good. With your outlook any nice restaurant selling expensive but good food is simply taking advantage of the anniversary/wedding/birthday that you are celebrating. Any car dealership selling tires is taking advantage of your flat tire. Anyone selling a home is simply taking advantage of your need for shelter.

The truth is competition creates more choice and better prices in any economic system. The best thing a company could do is offer models that can be used in the game, so that each person can find that perfect model to represent a unit. The more choice we have as gamers means more competition in the market with better prices and model companies pushing themselves to make a superior model at a better price so that you use their product in your army. Whether i like a specific sculpt or not i applaud all the companies that are making it easier and easier to start an army without the need of GW.

logan054
14-06-2016, 07:36
All business in any market are filling the demand for a good. With your outlook any nice restaurant selling expensive but good food is simply taking advantage of the anniversary/wedding/birthday that you are celebrating. Any car dealership selling tires is taking advantage of your flat tire. Anyone selling a home is simply taking advantage of your need for shelter.

The truth is competition creates more choice and better prices in any economic system. The best thing a company could do is offer models that can be used in the game, so that each person can find that perfect model to represent a unit. The more choice we have as gamers means more competition in the market with better prices and model companies pushing themselves to make a superior model at a better price so that you use their product in your army. Whether i like a specific sculpt or not i applaud all the companies that are making it easier and easier to start an army without the need of GW.

How are they not taking advantage of your needs? Especially when the look at the prices of things today. You're talking to the wrong person about this, I tend to have a rather negative view on the money system. As I live in Camden, house prices really aren't an example I'd use, given how expensive it is here (especially when you consider people can't afford to buy here and are forced to paying extremely high rental prices to line the pockets of someone else). Then again you're talking to someone who use to commission paint which was nothing more than taking advantage of other peoples lack of time, patience and/or skill.

My primary point is however is none of this isn't an advantage of the 9th age, it existed before it was even a pipe dream. People bought these models because they preferred the price and/or quality over what GW offered.

Zywus
14-06-2016, 08:46
By your definition, every transaction is people taking advantage of each others needs.

If I buy a box of skeletons from GW, I'm taking advantage of them having a stock of minatures and needing to ell them to pay rent, salaries etc. They take advantage of my need for little plastic game pieces shaped as skeletons. If I buy a loaf of bread from the local supermarket, they take advantage of my hunger and I take advantage of their need to shift stock before the bread gets old and stale.
That's a consistent definition I suppose, but it's not how most people would describe the act of mutually voluntarily transactions of goods, since your description carries some negative connotations.

I would absolutely say that these models being for sale is indeed a advantage to the 9th age (if only GW made compatible models, then 9th age players would not be able to add to their armies once GW stopped selling models for them, Tomb Kings and Bretonnia in particular). This is regardless of the fact that the models may not until now, (and for the most won't be so going forward either), have been designed specifically with 9th age in mind.

logan054
14-06-2016, 09:13
By your definition, every transaction is people taking advantage of each others needs.

If I buy a box of skeletons from GW, I'm taking advantage of them having a stock of minatures and needing to ell them to pay rent, salaries etc. They take advantage of my need for little plastic game pieces shaped as skeletons. If I buy a loaf of bread from the local supermarket, they take advantage of my hunger and I take advantage of their need to shift stock before the bread gets old and stale.
That's a consistent definition I suppose, but it's not how most people would describe the act of mutually voluntarily transactions of goods, since your description carries some negative connotations.

I would absolutely say that these models being for sale is indeed a advantage to the 9th age (if only GW made compatible models, then 9th age players would not be able to add to their armies once GW stopped selling models for them, Tomb Kings and Bretonnia in particular). This is regardless of the fact that the models may not until now, (and for the most won't be so going forward either), have been designed specifically with 9th age in mind.

I like how you've put food into category of voluntary purchases, food and drink you don't have a choice in buying it, your choice is hoe much yoy spend on it.

I should of probably said that with buying a house, the ones taking advantage are more the bank than the seller, but hey, I'd just woken.

Not sure you're talking about with your Skeleton bit, it's nothing to do work what I said. People selling the models they already did and the price isn't a positive of the 9th age.

Zywus
14-06-2016, 10:09
I like how you've put food into category of voluntary purchases, food and drink you don't have a choice in buying it, your choice is hoe much yoy spend on it.It's not voluntary whether or not to buy food at all. But as long as you are able to buy it in the first place, the choice of that particular bread in that particular store is indeed a voluntary choice.

Not sure you're talking about with your Skeleton bit, it's nothing to do work what I said. People selling the models they already did and the price isn't a positive of the 9th age.That example was to illustrate that any model purchase ever is a case of two parts taking "advantage of each others needs" if that is the way you want to describe a transaction. What really has nothing to do with this discussion though is your woes in the housing market.

Very few models on the market (so far) has been produced as a reaction to the emergence of 9th age. The fact that there exist suitable models is de facto an advantage to the 9th age community regardless of why those models were produced in the first place.

logan054
14-06-2016, 12:08
It's not voluntary whether or not to buy food at all. But as long as you are able to buy it in the first place, the choice of that particular bread in that particular store is indeed a voluntary choice.

That's the illusion of choice. But I think that's a much deeper debate for a different topic.

That example was to illustrate that any model purchase ever is a case of two parts taking "advantage of each others needs" if that is the way you want to describe a transaction. What really has nothing to do with this discussion though is your woes in the housing market.

Very few models on the market (so far) has been produced as a reaction to the emergence of 9th age. The fact that there exist suitable models is de facto an advantage to the 9th age community regardless of why those models were produced in the first place.

This is no different to what we had with Warhammer, which is the point. The only advantage would be in the case of GW events. I don't think the type of people playing the 9th age generally went to those.

Considering its a derivative of Warhammer, I don't even think it's worth mentioning. At the end of the day, it came about because people wanted to carry on playing an updated version of 8th.

I'd say it's more you fan carry on using the models you already own. This is reliant on you having an having an army built in a certain way. I guess you could also say the 9th age may also require people to spend money they otherwise wouldn't have if they had carried on playing 8th.

It's all swings and round abouts and I think many of these things will change person to person.

Asmodios
14-06-2016, 15:23
How are they not taking advantage of your needs? Especially when the look at the prices of things today. You're talking to the wrong person about this, I tend to have a rather negative view on the money system. As I live in Camden, house prices really aren't an example I'd use, given how expensive it is here (especially when you consider people can't afford to buy here and are forced to paying extremely high rental prices to line the pockets of someone else). Then again you're talking to someone who use to commission paint which was nothing more than taking advantage of other peoples lack of time, patience and/or skill.

My primary point is however is none of this isn't an advantage of the 9th age, it existed before it was even a pipe dream. People bought these models because they preferred the price and/or quality over what GW offered.
Well this would require a deeper discussion into trade and how economics work. I could make my own Models by mining metal, melting it down and sculpting my own models. But they would look terrible and it would take me an absurd amount of time. Trade and an economy allows people to do more with their lives then growing the bare amount of food to survive and is the reason life expectancy and standard of living have skyrocketed sense the industrial revolution. GW being the only option for buying models would create a monopoly and absurd prices. But by having lots of companies making models for my system i know have more options. Not only does this increase the chance i will find a sculpt i like but it lowers prices using the market by increasing competition. We as gamers should hope that hundreds of companies cling to the 9th age and start making 28mm fantasy figures.

logan054
14-06-2016, 15:37
Well this would require a deeper discussion into trade and how economics work. I could make my own Models by mining metal, melting it down and sculpting my own models. But they would look terrible and it would take me an absurd amount of time. Trade and an economy allows people to do more with their lives then growing the bare amount of food to survive and is the reason life expectancy and standard of living have skyrocketed sense the industrial revolution. GW being the only option for buying models would create a monopoly and absurd prices. But by having lots of companies making models for my system i know have more options. Not only does this increase the chance i will find a sculpt i like but it lowers prices using the market by increasing competition. We as gamers should hope that hundreds of companies cling to the 9th age and start making 28mm fantasy figures.

I guess it depends what you view on money is to begin with. All I've seen is a system that breads greed, a selfish attitude in life, and not forgetting sense of being entitled to more than anyone. I could go into the idea of the current money and debit system being nothing more than modern slavery, Like I said, this isn't the place for that conversation.

I'm little confused as to why you going on about multiple manufacturers. Never said it was a bad thing, it's just not a positive of the 9th age, It already existed.

I'd personally rather see something like warthrone do well, with people making more models with that in mind. It's simply a better game.

Zywus
14-06-2016, 16:13
I'm little confused as to why you going on about multiple manufacturers. Never said it was a bad thing, it's just not a positive of the 9th age, It already existed.I don't think people have argued that the 9th age have created a lot of manufacturers. Few (but some) miniatures have been created as a reaction to 9th age. Their existence is still a positive to 9th age and it's community since they need not be beholden to the whims of GW.

Multiple manufacturers of miniatures besides GW is a positive to 9th age, not of 9th age.

Asmodios
14-06-2016, 16:40
I guess it depends what you view on money is to begin with. All I've seen is a system that breads greed, a selfish attitude in life, and not forgetting sense of being entitled to more than anyone. I could go into the idea of the current money and debit system being nothing more than modern slavery, Like I said, this isn't the place for that conversation.

I'm little confused as to why you going on about multiple manufacturers. Never said it was a bad thing, it's just not a positive of the 9th age, It already existed.

I'd personally rather see something like warthrone do well, with people making more models with that in mind. It's simply a better game.
Because multiple manufactures means multiple choices for different types of models. If only GW make skeletons i would be forced to buy theirs despite cost or how i liked the appearance of the skeletons. If 100 companies make 28mm skeletons it reduces the price i will have to pay and I'm more likely to find the skeleton that fits my idea of what one should look like. So multiple manufactures are a huge positive for 9th age. There is literally 0 down side to having more companies making ranked 28mm fantasy miniatures. Your right that this isn't the place for a deep economic discussion but you also don't need a deep economic understanding to see why having more choices is better. Its the exact reason why its better to have McDonalds, Burger King, Inn and out, Sonic, Whataburger, White Castle, Crystal Burger, and on and on and on instead of just mcdonalds. Long story short if you don't like the models or feel you are being "taken advantage of" then simply don't buy any..... Thats why choice is such a great thing.

Yowzo
14-06-2016, 17:57

Warthrone setting is as generic fantasy as you can get.

Minis made for WT translate perfectly up just about every fantasy 28mm game except maybe for AoS.

Zywus
14-06-2016, 18:20
Is there really a fundamental difference between 9th age and Warthrone? Admittedly, I have not played either of the systems but just skimmed through the rules and Warthrone looked very much like the same kind of fanmade modified Warhammer that is the 9th age, except even more fiddly and intricate.

And as Yowzo notes. I don't think there is a single entry in the Warthrone lists (most or all of whom are made specifically to accomodate peoples existing warhammer armies) that doesn't have a equivalent in a 9th age list so there is quite impossible to make models with Warthrone in mind without also making models for the 9th age "taking advantage of the 9th age player's need for models".

Arrahed
17-06-2016, 16:31
Avatars of War announced its support for T9A: Announcement (http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index.php?news/339-avatars-of-war-now-support-the-9th-age/)
Everyone registered at the T9A forum can take advantage of a nice deal for Warriors of the Dark Gods.

Soundwave
17-06-2016, 16:35
Avatars of War announced its support for T9A: Announcement (http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index.php?news/339-avatars-of-war-now-support-the-9th-age/)
Everyone registered at the T9A forum can take advantage of a nice deal for Warriors of the Dark Gods.

Oh F'YEAH, soon the number's will be legion.

ewar
17-06-2016, 16:55
Oh F'YEAH, soon the number's will be legion.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not? :shifty:

Looking forward to seeing how Logan or UnwantedBeing can spin this as bad news :D

Soundwave
17-06-2016, 17:07

Looking forward to seeing how Logan or UnwantedBeing can spin this as bad news :D

No totally serious. I am an avid 9th age advocate and this is really great news.
The more companies working with this open "cards on the table" system the better. One company making Tomb King's. ..actually asked what was needed and graciously complied? ?? Roll over G.W you iz deead.

Asmodios
17-06-2016, 17:34
I love the avatars of war models. Think i might just have to purchase a box or two this weekend. Big thanks to those guys for supporting the 9th age.

Vazalaar
17-06-2016, 18:35
To be fair, AoW was already making Warhammer miniatures, the only difference is that they now can actively advertise it. It's not that they need to change their long term production plans to adapt to 9th Age armies. Still it is a good move from AoW. I am already an early bird for the Chaos warriors with great weapon, so I don't really benefit from this.

In the early days of AoW, I bought all their metal mini's, but the early bird chaos stuff, is my first "plastic" set that I bought from AoW. It's not HIPS, so I hope the material is ok...

I do hope that AoW will ship my stuff soon. I paid with paypal this sunday, but still no email that it is shipped.

Edit:
Anyway Gaelion posts shows again how stupid GW has been in blowing up the old world and the Warhammer ruleset. I assume that the flop of AoS and the succes of 9th Age will at minimal result in Forgeworld legacy miniatures for the old world... .

Yowzo
17-06-2016, 21:40
To be fair, AoW was already making Warhammer miniatures, the only difference is that they now can actively advertise it.

Well for some people it seems it's a big deal that some company puts "Blood-curdling Aeskeletyns" in the box instead of a perfectly generic "Skeleton warriors" before even looking at a fantasy ruleset.

StygianBeach
18-06-2016, 12:09
Well for some people it seems it's a big deal that some company puts "Blood-curdling Aeskeletyns" in the box instead of a perfectly generic "Skeleton warriors" before even looking at a fantasy ruleset.

True for many things. I think the worst example is Coffee though.

While many on here complain about the AoS names, I have a similar problem with many of the names used in 9th Age.

Yowzo
18-06-2016, 19:08
True for many things. I think the worst example is Coffee though.

While many on here complain about the AoS names, I have a similar problem with many of the names used in 9th Age.

I'm not 100% behind them either, but then again no one at T9A pretends that name is the only one that matters and somehow unique. That said, they're starting to stick, when I started playing 9th age we all used the GW names, right now we're maybe using the GW and the 9th age names interchangeably. Probably with a 50-50 split.

Asmodios
19-06-2016, 01:14
Just thought I would share a link to one of the prominent 9th age youtubers who talks about some of the exciting things taking place for 9th age https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cA57GpBuvrM

2DSick
19-06-2016, 10:43
Thanks for that ASBO ;)

I asways watched oncebitten's stuff when WHFB was a thing and it's good to see him back in the saddle.

I'm pleased that AoW are working with T9A. Warthrone was a resounding meh! Not bad, just not great. Their minis on the other hand are freaking awesome and at a price point that beggars belief!
Was definintely the best business decision. Nice that T9A is helping mini makers too :D

logan054
19-06-2016, 11:00

Did you ring? What's to spin, warthrone is trying to shift more models through the 9th age which is more popular. Makes sense if you want to money, a lot of money to be made simply by not being GW.

2DSick
19-06-2016, 11:42
I love the avatars of war models. Think i might just have to purchase a box or two this weekend. Big thanks to those guys for supporting the 9th age.

Just ordered two boxes of corruptors of apocalypse to go with my titan forge demon Prince :D

Asmodios
19-06-2016, 19:32
Just ordered two boxes of corruptors of apocalypse to go with my titan forge demon Prince :D
Nice! I love the pestilence themed warriors and think I'm going to have to pick some up. Our mono wrath player is ordering a few boxes today. I love being able to pick and choose the models i like from each company and make them work together for a truly unique army,

Vazalaar
19-06-2016, 20:02
Nice! I love the pestilence themed warriors and think I'm going to have to pick some up. Our mono wrath player is ordering a few boxes today. I love being able to pick and choose the models i like from each company and make them work together for a truly unique army,

It seems that those pestilence warriors (corrupters) are quite a bit smaller than the regular Games Workshop Chaos Warriors. The newer Wasteland warriors of Wrath (previous before the 9th Age support, it were regular warrior with great weapon) are hopefully bigger. I also ordered a box last sunday, although still no shipping notice.. AoW is keeping up with their reputation :shifty:.

Anyway I will paint my as nurgle/pestilence.

I am also bit worried about the quality of their plastic material. A friend of my ordered a long time ago the AoW witch elves unit and the quality of the plastic was so bad, he threw it away.. . So hopefully the quality improved a lot.

2DSick
19-06-2016, 23:07
It seems that those pestilence warriors (corrupters) are quite a bit smaller than the regular Games Workshop Chaos Warriors. The newer Wasteland warriors of Wrath (previous before the 9th Age support, it were regular warrior with great weapon) are hopefully bigger. I also ordered a box last sunday, although still no shipping notice.. AoW is keeping up with their reputation :shifty:.

Anyway I will paint my as nurgle/pestilence.

I am also bit worried about the quality of their plastic material. A friend of my ordered a long time ago the AoW witch elves unit and the quality of the plastic was so bad, he threw it away.. . So hopefully the quality improved a lot.

The corruptors are thinner for sure but are quite tall..... I never order direct from AoW. Troll Trader all the way in he UK. Top indi store. Discount, free shipping and awesome people... plus fast dispatch :D

Yowzo
20-06-2016, 07:34
The corruptors are thinner for sure but are quite tall.....

This. A mate of mine has a mixed unit of corrupters and GW Chaos warriors and you can barely tell the difference.

2DSick
20-06-2016, 17:01
This. A mate of mine has a mixed unit of corrupters and GW Chaos warriors and you can barely tell the difference.

Besides... why would I want to spand double on GW ones that look nowhere near as good :D ??

Vazalaar
20-06-2016, 19:09
The corruptors are thinner for sure but are quite tall..... I never order direct from AoW. Troll Trader all the way in he UK. Top indi store. Discount, free shipping and awesome people... plus fast dispatch :D

Good to hear that the size is ok! I went for the early bird as you get 8 more mini's + a free metal mini. Great deal, but as usual after 8 days still no shipping notification!

Great!

Besides... why would I want to spand double on GW ones that look nowhere near as good :D ??

Well, I own 10 Blood warriors with two hand weapons, I use them as Chosen of Khorne. It was not so easy to rank them, but oh my a rank of 7 and than 3 in the second rank, even still unpainted the unit looks extremly brutal! But I do hope to use AoW as replacement for the basic warriors. So I am happy that size is ok.

2DSick
22-06-2016, 21:18
I went for the early bird as you get 8 more mini's + a free metal mini. Great deal, but as usual after 8 days still no shipping notification!

Thats what I ordered. Troll trader have a load of those deals in stock for 26.99 free delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avatars-of-War-Chaos-BNIB-Corrupters-of-the-Apocalypse-w-Great-Weapons-Lord-/351146979621?hash=item51c1fdb125:g:upcAAOSwQItT8bo B

Vazalaar
22-06-2016, 21:29
Thats what I ordered. Troll trader have a load of those deals in stock for 26.99 free delivery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avatars-of-War-Chaos-BNIB-Corrupters-of-the-Apocalypse-w-Great-Weapons-Lord-/351146979621?hash=item51c1fdb125:g:upcAAOSwQItT8bo B

Great, thank you for the link. :)

2DSick
22-06-2016, 21:34
I think they'll look gret along side their new commander:

http://titan-forge.com/images/Sklep/prods/137/388.jpg

:BigFatEvilGrin:

Captain Marius
23-06-2016, 17:59
I got the 30 witch elf deal from AoW on preorder and was not impressed. They are are tiny, i dont like the material that needed superglue to stick together, and the detail isnt a patch on gws plastic kit. Saying that, the price was fantastic, i painted them all and by god ill use them as witch elves alongside all the huge gw ones ive also bought!

Vazalaar
23-06-2016, 18:12
I got the 30 witch elf deal from AoW on preorder and was not impressed. They are are tiny, i dont like the material that needed superglue to stick together, and the detail isnt a patch on gws plastic kit. Saying that, the price was fantastic, i painted them all and by god ill use them as witch elves alongside all the huge gw ones ive also bought!

Hmm, I prefer higher quality with a higher price if necessary. Anyway normally at the end of next week, AoW will ship my wasteland warriors with great weapons and if they are tiny or low quality, than it was my last AoW purchase. If the quality and size is good than I will buy a lot.

theunwantedbeing
23-06-2016, 18:21

Could you provide a picture to show the difference in scale and quality?

2DSick
23-06-2016, 18:47

Yeah, I don't get it. They always looked pretty sick to me

Arrahed
29-06-2016, 11:48
In case someone is interested: T9A published an interesting interview with some of the people steering the T9A ship. This might also answer the question why Lord Dan is no longer slapping us on the wrist so often when we violate the forum rules. :rolleyes:
Interview
(http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index.php?news/348-interview-with-the-9th-age-senior-management/)

theunwantedbeing
29-06-2016, 13:06
Yeah, I don't get it. They always looked pretty sick to me

:eyebrows:
Sex Doll faces.

Does sick mean good or bad these days?

Soundwave
29-06-2016, 14:21

Think 25mm as opposed to 28mm. The size difference is noticeable.
The actual plastic is more of a "resin" so super glue and greenstuff all the way. Same with the Russian alternative plastics and a few other companies.

Teurastaja
30-06-2016, 04:32
What do you guys think about new tree-things from GW? Are they ok for 9th Age?
I'm thinking about using tree-revenants as Blade Dancers.

Soundwave
30-06-2016, 11:50
What do you guys think about new tree-things from GW? Are they ok for 9th Age?
I'm thinking about using tree-revenants as Blade Dancers.

Yeah that would work. I will eventually pick up some hunters for thicket beasts for sure and the branch wraith for the dryad matriarch. The asthetics fall in line with the existing treeman and dryads wich is a nice change from the AOS releases thus far.

Lord Dan
01-07-2016, 16:45
This might also answer the question why Lord Dan is no longer slapping us on the wrist so often when we violate the forum rules.
Why do you assume we're the same person? ;)

2DSick
01-07-2016, 17:36
It seems that those pestilence warriors (corrupters) are quite a bit smaller than the regular Games Workshop Chaos Warriors.

Mine have just arrived.

Overall, mega happy. Got 24 (three command section bits) warriors and a metal character for a fraction less than 1 per model!

The pvc ones are indeed, marginally smaller then the old warcast resin versions.

Bends in the weapons /banner pole are mega easy to straighten with hot water.

Plastic glues doesn't work. I advise superglue with pin pricks of greenstuff.

Reminds me very much of Mantic's restic.

When it's filed or scraped, it clings, which was frustrating at first but I've got the knack of it now.

StygianBeach
01-07-2016, 20:42
When it's filed or scraped, it clings, which was frustrating at first but I've got the knack of it now.

This is the thing about PVC plastic that annoys me the most (apart from the toxicity question), you really have to cut it, you cant just scratch at it and hope for the best.

2DSick
02-07-2016, 16:25
... annoys me the most (apart from the toxicity question)...

Why are we licking our minis? There's being proud and then there's just being wierd :P XD ;)

you really have to cut it, you cant just scratch at it and hope for the best.

I've learnt to live with it now. I'm experienced with a few types of reson now, with the same characteristic.

The main trade-off is that it reduces the cost significantly.

That's a win for me :D

Arrahed
03-07-2016, 18:24
Why do you assume we're the same person? ;)
The art of deduction.:cool:
Or maybe I am a stalker.:shifty:

BTW T9A is celebrating its one year anniversary (http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index.php?news/353-one-year-of-the-9th-age-project/). In case someone is interested in a few statistics.

Yowzo
04-07-2016, 08:09
BTW T9A is celebrating its one year anniversary (http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index.php?news/353-one-year-of-the-9th-age-project/). In case someone is interested in a few statistics.

So:

7.793 forum members, 93,16% male, 6,84% female with a median age around 30 years old (younger than I expected) writing 867 posts per day.

USA as the 2nd country of web sessions origin (after Spain).

270 staff members from 29 nationalities.

8 miniature companies showing public support for 9th age.

Awesome.

Soundwave
04-07-2016, 08:35
The BRB had close to 70,000 downloads at the price G.W. was charging whoa, that is money on the table right there that they will not see. Not saying most would pay G.W. prices but even half of that number is still alot of coin.

Zywus
04-07-2016, 09:17
The BRB had close to 70,000 downloads at the price G.W. was charging whoa, that is money on the table right there that they will not see. Not saying most would pay G.W. prices but even half of that number is still alot of coin.
Since the magic rules have been downloaded only 26k times, I think that's probably closer to the number of unique persons suficiently interested to have bought a GW version, with the BRB often being downloaded several times for use on different platforms etc. I suspect. Or being downloaded by people skimming it with no real intention of playing the game. That would also feel more in line with the number of community members (a bit below 8k).

That's still around 20k-30k people, of whom a fair chunk would have bought a 9th edition if it had had rules even close to the quality of T9A.

I still think the biggest blow to GW from the AoS/Fantasy debacle though will prove to be the loss of mindshare. I reckon a large part of the T9A community would previously have looked at GW models as the first stop for their armies, going for other companies stuff only if they didn't like the GW version.

Not so much now, GW being just one manufacturer among many (although often with the best quality minis), having to compete without the advantage of being the default provider of minis.

Arrahed
04-07-2016, 10:24
I still think the biggest blow to GW from the AoS/Fantasy debacle though will prove to be the loss of mindshare. I reckon a large part of the T9A community would previously have looked at GW models as the first stop for their armies, going for other companies stuff only if they didn't like the GW version.

Not so much now, GW being just one manufacturer among many (although often with the best quality minis), having to compete without the advantage of being the default provider of minis.
That is pretty much true for me personally.

Interestingly, 'patchwork armies' (my favorite name for armies with miniatures from all over the manufacturer world :) ) are super fun at my gaming club. Everyone knows the GW miniatures but now that more and more people branch out there are always new miniatures to admire and new inspirations to be found.

Zywus
04-07-2016, 10:42
That is pretty much true for me personally.

Interestingly, 'patchwork armies' (my favorite name for armies with miniatures from all over the manufacturer world :) ) are super fun at my gaming club. Everyone knows the GW miniatures but now that more and more people branch out there are always new miniatures to admire and new inspirations to be found.
Indeed. I hope the increased interest in alternative models will prove a boost for many of the smaller manufacturers out there, allowing them to up their game.

The 9th age miniature library is a great resource to find suitable models that you didn't know existed. Regardless of what game system you're planning to use them in.

Yowzo
04-07-2016, 11:04
That's still around 20k-30k people, of whom a fair chunk would have bought a 9th edition if it had had rules even close to the quality of T9A.

I'd aim for the lower part of those 20K

However, those are figures only for the English rulebook, and there are Italian, German, Spanish, French and Polish translations as well (not counted because only the Spanish version was up to date to v1.0)

In any case, it's a phenomenal achievement for a fan project (which according to some was doomed to fail).

Zywus
04-07-2016, 11:44
I'd aim for the lower part of those 20K

However, those are figures only for the English rulebook, and there are Italian, German, Spanish, French and Polish translations as well (not counted because only the Spanish version was up to date to v1.0)

In any case, it's a phenomenal achievement for a fan project (which according to some was doomed to fail).
It certainly is a phenomenal achievement. While the project showed great promise pretty much from the start, I never thought it would be able to reach this level of cohesion and community acceptance. Glad it seems as I was very wrong:D

That's a good point about the translated versions, didn't think about that. Germany, Italy, Poland and France together represent around 25% of the community (Spain close to a massive 20%!) according to those stats, so there's a fair amount of more downloads to be counted there when those translations get up to date. Obviously, many of those active in the community from these nations will be sufficiently fluent in english to use that version, but I imagine there will be quite a few players not registered on the fora that are not.

Folomo
04-07-2016, 12:35
What I find interesting is the trend on number of registered players, which shows a constant increase, with no sign of slowing down.

Soundwave
04-07-2016, 13:46
I think a number close to 70,000 for G.W. if they produced a "9th edition warhammer" millions of pounds/dollars/euros lost on a fairly large mistake really.
Not really the thread for this though and just an uneducated guess on my behalf.
But glancing at my old 8th ed books and supps that is close to 2k (including end times), now with 9th age I haven't spent a thing aside from printer ink :).