PDA

View Full Version : Conversion ideas for Advanced Humans?

Raven Down
15-01-2016, 04:09
I've been out of the hobby for a while and am only now thinking of jumping back in, so in doing so I'd like to run something different then what I tried before (Eldar/Grey Knights) and run a hard-lined and Hi-tech Guard/Astartes army free of the usual low tech/religious look of the normal Imperial units. So just running through ideas these are the kind of things i mean:

224657 224658

Atm im having trouble finding decent heads to use, As for the bodies im thinking of using Elysians with a few converted pieces. Anyone seen similar helms to the above? The other problem is trying to convert Astartes to match the aesthetic of the guard, I inparticulair want to change the helms and shoulders (im thinking angular shoulder guards), any ideas for replacements or conversions are welcome.

I have also found a decent substitute for a Knight that I hope to use:

Metal Gear Sahelanthropus

224659 224660

ntw3001
15-01-2016, 04:31
I don't have much time to search through their catalogue myself, but I think Puppetswar's selection of heads might have something useful to you. They have a lot of sci-fi styles.

cuda1179
15-01-2016, 06:30
You might also want to look at Dreamforge Games. They have a line of sci-fi troopers that would fit for both Imperial Guard and Marines, while using a similar look for both.

HybridTheory
15-01-2016, 07:14
Maybe you can make use of the heavy gear models? (I'm just throwing something out there, I don't know how they scale)

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Raven Down
15-01-2016, 10:40
Thanks the Puppet wars stuff will work well for astartes, in particular the Legion and Ranger gear. Honestly the Dreamforce gear is beautiful and id love to run them but I'm trying to keep the army as GW based as I can barring a few exceptions and they only seem to sell sets.

HybridTheory
15-01-2016, 10:44
I guess if you want to have the sharper corners and keep it as gw as possible you could kitbash some tau stuff too.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Denny
15-01-2016, 11:48
You might also want to look at Dreamforge Games. They have a line of sci-fi troopers that would fit for both Imperial Guard and Marines, while using a similar look for both.

This. It depends whether you already have your heart set on the Elysians but, if your looking for ideas, Dreamforge has some great stuff.

http://dreamforge-games.com/collections/types?q=Infantry

EDIT: I should have kept reading, you want to stay GW-ish. In that case . . . maybe Eldar stuff with different helmets/weapons might be an idea?

mdeceiver79
15-01-2016, 12:26
The new tau box set will leave any tau player with a huge number of spare heads they're not using. You could cut it like this
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0l7dYif2BdE/VKrzDj2fYSI/AAAAAAAALnc/k2DeMFcbfkQ/s1600/20141227_164212.jpg
Looks somewhat like this
https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/481181541408597234/
or
http://kotaku.com/5883268/commander-shepard-youre-looking-awfully-dangerous-today/

Futuristic style.

I'm trying to go for something similar.

Come to think of it tau is a good ruleset to follow for it as well. Very mobile with a focus on overwhelming firepower, force multiplication (markerlights) and drones.

mashkeyboardgetusername
15-01-2016, 12:27
Space marine scouts with sniper rifles come with night vision goggles, if that's a thing that works for you. Not suggesting you use the heads as-is, but maybe you could cut the goggles off and stick them onto some other heads to make them look more high-tech. Would require getting busy on bitz sites though.

Raven Down
15-01-2016, 21:48
EDIT: I should have kept reading, you want to stay GW-ish. In that case . . . maybe Eldar stuff with different helmets/weapons might be an idea?

To a degree id like too, but head swaps and such are fine id just rather avoid proxying whole figures bar the Knight because I think some tournaments etc have an issue with it? Such as a figure needing to be 80% GW parts.

Those Tau are quite good, I had considered Tau parts originally but wasn't sure entirely how to go about it.