PDA

View Full Version : 'Official' Tournaments?

suplicor
17-01-2016, 14:22
Does GW sanctio/host any tournaments anymore? My game club is returning to 40k and we have some highly competitive members. Middle Tennessee has few LGS's with limited room.

Eldartank
18-01-2016, 00:42
Games Workshop has done away with official sanctioned Warhammer 40,000 tournaments. I think they finally came to the realization that the game as it is designed is just not suited to official tournaments that can be both fair and competitive. Particularly with the relaxation of the rules for force organization, allies, etc., official tournaments just aren't feasible. My local game store does have occasional homebrewed 40k tournaments with various limitations in an attempt to make them fair, and I'm sure many other LGS's to the same. Perhaps your gaming club can design a system for your own homebrewed tournaments.

Mandragola
18-01-2016, 10:46
They run events at Warhammer World, some of which are called Throne of Skulls, and supposedly these are tournaments... but not as most people understand them. Winning is determined by favourite game votes, not gaming scores, and there's no Swiss pairing system.

But yeah, they don't do tournaments. Why would they want to encourage people to play the games they sell? That would be weird.

MusingWarboss
19-01-2016, 21:30
GW don't organise tournaments any more, their current games aren't designed to be played that way. You can but it requires a lot of fudging to the extent I've suggested TO's just go back to using older rules versions which do work (better) that way. I mean, if you're going to be producing a small book of alterations, changes and amendments (or in the case of AoS practically rewriting the whole thing) you may as well use a version that worked.

Downside is that those older editions will be harder to acquire for Gamers. Saying that, something like 9th Age sounds like it could be used as a proxy 8th and a not-40k 3rd-5th proxy could be created as a community edition.

Though saying that, you may as well just play another game!