PDA

View Full Version : Best Edition of Warhammer?

Galadrin
21-01-2016, 22:37
This came up lately on several forums that I frequent: what was the best edition of Warhammer? To clarify, I don't mean which one was the most balanced or fair, or which one had a better army book for your army... I figure every edition had some problems here or there, most of which could be solved by having level-headed and friendly fellows to play with. I mean which one made for the best game, at the end of the day?

I personally always found 4th Edition the most fun to play, even though there were plenty of broken combinations that could ruin a game if your opponent was that sort of guy. What were your experiences?

EDIT: Since it came up a lot in later posts, I want to clarify that I don't mean any insult to current editions of current games. This question and poll is about the games of our past. Thank you!

Spiney Norman
21-01-2016, 22:40
I think I'd have to say 7th edition core rules with the 8th edition magic mechanics, 6th edition spell lists and 8th edition army books, with the relevant tweaks to make everything work together.

If that makes sense.

If you're wanting a package I'd probably say 7th edition at any point before the 7E High elf book was release, that was where things started to go really wrong.

Soundwave
21-01-2016, 22:49
You forgot AoS. I would vote for that
AOS is not warhammer. It is AOS.

Drakkar du Chaos
21-01-2016, 23:01
You forgot AoS. I would vote for that

It's not Warhammer.

But, if you want, you can create a poll named "Best edition of AoS ?".

Dosiere
21-01-2016, 23:12
8th edition for sure, although it had its issues. I really thought it was just more fun than previously.

Kakapo42
21-01-2016, 23:14
I went with 6th edition plus army books, but that's because I voted too quickly and missed the option for a combination of editions. But 6th works as a vote for me, since it's a complete edition package that I can tolerate.

Basically in my eyes 6th has pretty good core rules and - most importantly - FANTASTIC army books. The 6th edition Wood Elf and Bretonnian books are still my favourite Warhammer army books of all time, both are full of beautiful artwork, awesome background and are brimming with amazing atmosphere, and both have army lists that do a brilliant job of capturing how their respective armies look and act in the background. I picked up a copy of the 6th edition Beasts of Chaos army book (along with what I think is the 5th edition Vampire Counts army book) at a nearby second-hand book store the other day, and from what I've seen of it so far it's also full of incredible artwork, background and atmosphere as well as having some nice army rules to reflect the background (the 'heavy skirmisher' Raiders rule and the system for mixed Beastmen herds are strokes of genius), although it doesn't quite reach the same level as the Wood Elf and Bretonnian books (bolting on the magic options of Death, Shadow and the Lore of the Wild as well as Beasts magic - and making the Chaos magic options mark-specific - as well as some of the magic items like the Chalice of Dark Rain and rules for Jabberslythes, Cygors and possibly short-bow armed Ungors from the 7th edition Beastmen army book would make it perfect in my eyes). Plus there's things like the General's Compendium too, not to mention that most of my favourite Warhammer models come from 6th edition.

That said, there are a lot of parts from the 8th edition core rules I like as well. So really my pick would be 6th edition army books and either 8th edition core rules, 6th edition core rules, 7th edition core rules or some combination of the three sets of core rules, plus a mix of basic spell lores (some of the 8th edition spells I'd want - though none of the big 'test or die' ones - in the older spell lores).

Soundwave
21-01-2016, 23:19
I really enjoyed 8th. But all previous editions had there merits. 6th was crazy fun at times. (Goblins with the heart of woe).

Voss
21-01-2016, 23:22
3rd, mostly for the depth. Definitely had issues, but every edition since has felt more and more lobotomized, especially psychology and formations. And the setting.

In some ways, AoS is just a culmination of a trend, where anything that might confuse the 'supposed target audience' just got gutted.

The warhammer armies model was also far better than getting repeatedly stabbed in the wallet for each individual thing.

dalezzz
21-01-2016, 23:28
Ahhh the 3rd edition warhammer Armys was (still is) a great great book.... I still like 8th best , big units look great :)

Voss
21-01-2016, 23:40
Ahhh the 3rd edition warhammer Armys was (still is) a great great book.... I still like 8th best , big units look great :)

3rd encouraged big units as well, especially for horde armies. gobbos, skeletons and skaven had rather hefty unit minimums.

dalezzz
21-01-2016, 23:44
True but units always looked a bit wonky with the same 3 models 20 times :p

Pojko
22-01-2016, 00:09
I would have said straight up 6th, but 6th would be best with a few added things like step up.

Magic and characters weren't overpowered. You didn't need regiments of 50 Halberdiers or Clanrats to field viable infantry units. Cavalry was still worth something, and with step up you could actually stand a chance against the charge.

Khaines Wrath
22-01-2016, 00:18
7th for me purely because it was the edition I got into the game and I liked the smaller units. I didn't like the horde rules of 8th edition. It made the game too expensive and aesthetically turned armies that really shouldn't resemble hordes into hordes.

Malagor
22-01-2016, 00:40
8e is the only one I played and loved it.

VMBTS
22-01-2016, 00:51
Overall, 6th edition was the best (but can't give an opinion on the first few ed.). Definitely had more fun than any other and felt mostly balanced thanks to the excellent army books.

The emphasis on other aspects of the hobby that didn't focus on just gaming was also fantastic (all those cool supplements and narrative stuff!).

I also think it was the golden age for artwork and fluff. VC, WE or BoC books were just gorgeous stuff!! There was a very authentic feel to them :)

7th had even better rules. Unfortunately, the army books were a huge step down.

Geep
22-01-2016, 02:12
I went with 7th, but really my answer would be 7th with some 6th ed army books (though early 6th ed army books weren't great).

Arrahed
22-01-2016, 06:55
I cannot answer this poll. It is impossible for me to distinguish between most fun playing that edition and best edition.
I had the most fun during the 6th edition. But back then I was young, had a lot of time and played with friends so often that it made some really nice memories.
On the other hand I think that the 6th edition had many issues that were solved better in 8th edition. I also had a lot of fun with 8th but didn't play nearly as often during 6th edition times resulting in fewer nice memories.

2DSick
22-01-2016, 07:04
Playing from 3rd through 8th, I am of the opinion that 6th edition was at its A game.

Zywus
22-01-2016, 07:05
It's not Warhammer.

But, if you want, you can create a poll named "Best edition of AoS ?".
"Why is AoS universally considered the best game ever and will soon be curing cancer as well a ensuring world peace?"

Darnok
22-01-2016, 07:19
Well, it is called "Warhammer: Age of Sigmar". And while I have never played 1st edition, I guess it was about as loose in structure as AoS. So yes, you could argue AoS is Warhammer, even if it is not at all like the editions 2 to 8.

But it is up to the OP to include or exclude whatever he/she wishes.

Spiney Norman
22-01-2016, 07:24
Well, it is called "Warhammer: Age of Sigmar". And while I have never played 1st edition, I guess it was about as loose in structure as AoS. So yes, you could argue AoS is Warhammer, even if it is not at all like the editions 2 to 8.

But it is up to the OP to include or exclude whatever he/she wishes.

Indeed referring to a game as 'warhammer' is no longer really adequate to determine which game you are talking about since there are technically three warhammer games (WFB, AoS & 40K), I dare say that 9th age fans will be equally offended that the OP doesn't consider their game to count as warhammer either...

Zywus
22-01-2016, 07:32
I dare say that 9th age fans will be equally offended that the OP doesn't consider their game to count as warhammer either...
I wouldn't think so, as 9th age isn't even finalized yet. And I think it was quite clear that the poll was about which historical WHFB edition people considered the best.

This came up lately on several forums that I frequent: what was the best edition of Warhammer?

Griefbringer
22-01-2016, 07:37
Indeed referring to a game as 'warhammer' is no longer really adequate to determine which game you are talking about since there are technically three warhammer games (WFB, AoS & 40K)

There is also Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (3 editions) and Warhammer Quest.

As regards the "best" edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle, I voted for 6th edition - though 3rd edition also comes close.

Katastrophe
22-01-2016, 13:10
A cleaned up 7th core rules with 8ed army balance built around the 6th Ravening Hordes.

7th rules were the best of the bunch as it was about the right size to represent how units should look comparatively. In 7th you didn't have horde elite units, they were generally small and used to attack flanks along with horde cheap basic infantry.

Cav was slightly undercosted thus making them too efficient so that should have been addressed. In 5th they were likely about right for the damage resilience and speed.

7th magic was well balanced with very few #6 field clearing equivalent spells. Limiting mages to their own dice would have done wonders. Also the General magic items and customization of magic combos was far better in 7th.

8th made skirmishers worthless while in 7th they actually had a place.

8th steadfast made stubborn available to every unit if you were wiling to spend enough points on it with no downside so cheap units that should have been speed bumps could fight unsupported holding up units no matter the combat resolution if you put points in them. Thus making the game more KillyHammer rather than having combat resolution matter.

Also adding additional ranks to attacks again made combat resolution less important.

Rogue
22-01-2016, 14:45
My personal favorite was the 6th edition. I played the 4th, 6th, 7th, and a few games of 8th before I determined that it was not for me, and 6th is my personal favorite. It does have a few problems, but nothing that cant be overcome. I liked it so much that I started a website specializing in older editions here (www.classichammer.com) and 6th edition is the cornerstone of the website.

Malagor
22-01-2016, 14:46
I dare say that 9th age fans will be equally offended that the OP doesn't consider their game to count as warhammer either...
As a 9th age fan, I'm not offended that it isn't in there and never will be.

mdauben
22-01-2016, 14:47
By far, my favorite edition was 6th. That was the peak of the game for me and when I played and enjoyed WFB the most. Seventh edtion was I think in many ways a step down (particularly in terms of army books) and for me 8th was the final straw that broke me of playing WFB.

One question, why do you have Ravening Hords linked to 2nd editon? RH was a supplement for 6th edition that GW put out to get players by until the new army books were published, as the 5th ed army books were not really compatable with the 6th ed rules.

Zywus
22-01-2016, 14:51
There's been two supplements released both called Ravening hordes.

One released at the start of 6th ed, and one released during 2nd ed.

The old one:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-g6FAWlzS4vc/VQN-JDBQtEI/AAAAAAAAIaU/EJxWPzy4QVI/s1600/20150313_170757.jpg

Bingo the Fun Monkey
22-01-2016, 15:05
6th. Gods I miss 6th.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Dosiere
22-01-2016, 16:12
Indeed referring to a game as 'warhammer' is no longer really adequate to determine which game you are talking about since there are technically three warhammer games (WFB, AoS & 40K), I dare say that 9th age fans will be equally offended that the OP doesn't consider their game to count as warhammer either...

You appear to.be the only person offended that a post in the Warhammer sub forum didn't specify it wasn't talking about 40k... Give it a rest man.

csb
22-01-2016, 16:13
6th for me. It was my first and the next Editions were just not as good plus not my first ones. I liked the the maps in the 8th ed. books.

Kal Taron
22-01-2016, 18:00
I started in 5th and mostly lost interest in 7th.
IMHO 6th was a very solid ruleset and 7th wasn't really very different so the core rules are fine for both. 5th was a bit more character oriented in army composition and had a bit more wacky stuff but still a very playable and enjoyable system.
What killed 7th IMHO were certain army books that were handled incredibly poorly. 8th just isn't my type of game.
Another thing they really botched starting with 8th are the non-english armybooks. Have you ever tried to read a German sentence where most of the names are English? Kills immersion very fast.

SuperHappyTime
22-01-2016, 18:08
You appear to.be the only person offended that a post in the Warhammer sub forum didn't specify it wasn't talking about 40k... Give it a rest man.

No, I'm offended too. I mean 40K 2nd ed was easily the best edition of Warhammer ever made.

Spiney Norman
22-01-2016, 19:42

I'm not offended by anything here, it was obvious to me what the OP meant even if a couple of users couldn't resist poking holes in the vague wording of the poll question to take a cheap sideswipe at AoS.

Dosiere
22-01-2016, 21:09
I'm not offended by anything here, it was obvious to me what the OP meant even if a couple of users couldn't resist poking holes in the vague wording of the poll question to take a cheap sideswipe at AoS.

A topic which was broached by someone taking a cheap sideswipe at the lack of an AoS option, despite as you say the intent being clear. It's obvious you understood this based on your first post, which is why your later post came off as so facetious. I get it Spiney, you are like the white knight of AoS, but you don't have to derail every thread. It's clear the OP was just asking what version of WFB was our favorite, if another poster gets his fingers burned for dragging AoS in here that's on him.

Urgat
22-01-2016, 23:19
8th ed for me.

AOS is not warhammer. It is AOS.

It's written Warhammer on the box. Like, much bigger than AoS...

ColShaw
23-01-2016, 00:26
I know I'm in the minority, but 7th. I never even minded going up against Daemons with my Night Goblins. Guess I'm just crazy that way. :)

Galadrin
23-01-2016, 00:59
Whoops, sorry guys, I did indeed mean "Best Edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle"! I guess I should have been more explicit... If it is titled WFB, then it's fair game for this conversation! I saw a bunch of threads about those other games that people mentioned, though (like "9th Age"), so those might be good threads to discuss that. Great responses so far and very interesting results!

Kaltheras
23-01-2016, 04:06
8th for me, quite easily.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

toonboy78
23-01-2016, 08:53
i was a big fan of 4th and 5th.

yes it was based around big heroes etc but assuming everyone had them (which they generally did) it was never too much of a problem.
and like we did if you played the campaign rules then most armies were very evenly balanced.

i was a huge fan of all the cards and the magic phase, that much so i had to buy a new army as my dwarfs didn't do much in that phase

Dosiere
23-01-2016, 09:00
5th is what people are usually referring to when they talk about Herohammer right? I never played it, got in with the release of 6th myself.

Kal Taron
23-01-2016, 12:17
Not very surprsing that 6th and 8th are the most popular choices really.
Many people on this board won't have any experience with games earlier than 6th so getting votes on these early editions will be rare. 7th has been "ruined" a bit by its later army books and their poor balance.
So the choice is really between a tactical ruleset and a bit more random ruleset that still works reasonably well.
IMHO the largest drawback of 8th besides the sometimes over the top randomness is that this is the edition that really increased the percieved cost of entry. What I mean is that you could still play 1000pts battles in 8th but they didn't feel very much like a "real" battle. And there was maybe a bit too much incentive to go large or go home if you understand what I mean.

Kal Taron
23-01-2016, 12:22
5th is what people are usually referring to when they talk about Herohammer right? I never played it, got in with the release of 6th myself.

It depends a bit.
Yes, you were able to take far more points in characters than you were in later editions. (IIRC 50% and even 75% for Brets, plus allies so you basically only had to take your 25% required troops) And some special characters or item combos were simply heinous.
But then all arnies had access to this and even a lowly champion could be a huge obstacle to any overpowered character with the right item(s). So there was a system to the madness.
In the end though the name herohammer is not entirely undeserved as there was a far larger focus on powerful characters than later editions.

Vazalaar
23-01-2016, 13:51
8th Edition for me! I am also pleased that the majority of the voters also went for 8th. :D

mdauben
23-01-2016, 14:05
Many people on this board won't have any experience with games earlier than 6th so getting votes on these early editions will be rare.
I suppose this may be the case for some. I did have experience with 4th and 5th, I just liked the shift in balance toward units as opposed to characters in 6th.

I actually wonder what percentage of people who voted so emphatically for 8th have any experience with 6th or earlier editions? Perhaps it's just personal bias and I recognize the are some good points to 8th. However, when people are so enthusiastic for the edition that I see as so flawed, I have to wonder if we share the same experiences?

Or am I just a grumpy old man who can't handle change? ;)

From a Galaxy far, far away...

Griefbringer
23-01-2016, 14:10
Yes, you were able to take far more points in characters than you were in later editions. (IIRC 50% and even 75% for Brets, plus allies so you basically only had to take your 25% required troops) And some special characters or item combos were simply heinous.

Also, the magic items were restricted by number, but not by their points value. So powerful characters could take 3 or 4 powerful magic items. Plus Bretonnians could also get virtue(s).

Another issue is that the 25 % requirement for "troops" could be filled with something else than just foot grunts - for example orcs and goblins could fill this quota with trolls, ogres or even giants!

Darnok
23-01-2016, 14:40
I voted for 8th edition.

From all the editions I have known (5th to 8th, and now AoS), 8th edition is my favourite in mechanics, balance and variety. With the last thing I mean things like "Storm of Magic", "Blood in the Badlands" or "Tamurkhan", which all offered new elements that you could add to the "normal" game of WHF. 8th edition also feels pretty "complete" to me. While I hate AoS for axing everythign that came before it, at least I have a huge, well defined sandbox in the form of 8th edition. And contrary to popular belief, GW won't kick in my frontdoor and take all those books from me.

Zywus
23-01-2016, 15:07
contrary to popular belief, GW won't kick in my frontdoor and take all those books from me.
They would do it if they could:mad: *shakes fist in the general direction of Nottingham*

Galadrin
23-01-2016, 15:16
Not very surprsing that 6th and 8th are the most popular choices really.
Many people on this board won't have any experience with games earlier than 6th so getting votes on these early editions will be rare.

That's an interesting point and probably a very valid one. Do you know of any way to correct for this? I'm not a stats guy, but my guess is that any corrective formula would see 6th making even greater gains over 8th and 3rd would eclipse both of those two combined.

I think that is rather strange though, and this is my interpretation: it isn't as if 3rd Edition had more players when it was out in comparison to 4th/5th (for instance). If anything, Warhammer really blew up AFTER 3rd Edition (especially in the US, which became a huge market). There were tons and tons of 4th/5th fans... There were grand tournaments and Game Days and organized play events... the 90's was really GW's heyday.

My interpretation is that 3rd has seen a real boost from the Oldhammer movement, in the same way that the OSR brought in a bunch of people that had never played 1e AD&D or Basic D&D. Oldhammer has given 3e real visibility and cache in internet circles which partially tie in and overlap with Warseer and other forums in different ways. It's talked about currently to the same extent that 4th/5th isn't talked about. My suspicion is that the popularity of the former and apparent unpopularity of the latter is not essential, but rather somewhat contingent and accidental. I mean, 3e is definitely a great game, but there were a lot of people that started on 4e that are still around today as well. Perhaps they just don't have the vocabulary to speak that Oldhammer gave to 3e fans?

dragonelf
23-01-2016, 15:23
Why isn't AOS in this poll? It is one of the Warhammer editions. If you don't think so, go to the GW website.

Dosiere
23-01-2016, 15:27
Why isn't AOS in this poll? It is one of the Warhammer editions. If you don't think so, go to the GW website.

Read the thread, yo.

dragonelf
23-01-2016, 15:30
The games is called Warhammer Age of Sigmar....where in the thread does it say that it doesn't count as a Warhammer edition? IMO it is a much better game than 8th. I know I'm in the minority.

I have read the thread and there is no way 8.5 or 9th should be considered Warhammer editions. They have to be an official Warhammer product with the supported units/models/books to be an edition.

Malagor
23-01-2016, 15:32
I have read the thread and there is no way 8.5 or 9th should be considered Warhammer editions. They have to be an official Warhammer product with the supported units/models/books to be an edition.
And 8.5 and 9th Age isn't in the poll either.

Darnok
23-01-2016, 15:32

Read the thread:

Whoops, sorry guys, I did indeed mean "Best Edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battle"! I guess I should have been more explicit... If it is titled WFB, then it's fair game for this conversation! I saw a bunch of threads about those other games that people mentioned, though (like "9th Age"), so those might be good threads to discuss that. Great responses so far and very interesting results!

2DSick
23-01-2016, 15:41
The games is called Warhammer Age of Sigmar....where in the thread does it say that it doesn't count as a Warhammer edition? IMO it is a much better game than 8th. I know I'm in the minority.

And it's the anti-AOS camp jumping in on threads that don't concern them?

It's not everyones favourite. Many, by a long shot. Get over it!

Shakkara
23-01-2016, 15:44
6th edition because of the nice magic, large selection of magic items for characters and lack of rules benefiting huge units too much.

Holier Than Thou
23-01-2016, 15:48
The games is called Warhammer Age of Sigmar....where in the thread does it say that it doesn't count as a Warhammer edition?

Right here.

Galadrin
23-01-2016, 15:53
Ok guys, let's cool it on the edition wars! This is a friendly thread about 1st to 8th editions (the official Warhammer Fantasy Battle games that were largely identical in basic mechanics). It could have been a thread about other things, but it isn't... Largely BECAUSE any thread that talks about AoS/9th Age etc on this forum turns to crap for some reason. This is a thread about the past fun we had playing a game in our youths... There are plenty of great threads about what people are having fun with at the moment! Please, let's have a little brotherly love and reminisce a bit!

6th edition because of the nice magic, large selection of magic items for characters and lack of rules benefiting huge units too much.

Just to jump on the other conversation about "when people joined" Warhammer, I am a bit curious... Did you play 5th Edition at all? The reason I ask is that these characteristics (great magic rules, tons of magic items and smaller unit sizes) is almost a perfect description of 5th.

Galadrin
23-01-2016, 17:01
I mean 40K 2nd ed was easily the best edition of Warhammer ever made.

Oh man, I hear ya. Check out this batrep (http://inthegrimdarkness.com/session-report-eldar-vs-imperial-guard-mini-battle.html), I think you'll enjoy it. Secret missions, warpflux, barrage rolls, hidden movement, blind grenades... In one battle report, he's definitively proven how awesome Warhammer 40k 2nd Edition is. Fantastic!