PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids, rules and formations are spread all over!!

Woa
22-01-2016, 01:53
So i decided i wanted to start a new army and build a competitive list. Looking thru some articles and army list that have won GTs and such i have found out that much of the tyranids formations ect is in data slates and the Shield of Baal leviathan books.

So i have the codex, what should i get next? I really wish they would have just one source where you could get all the formations ect. There are i think 3 data slates, and the SoB book. I think i really need the SoB book.

Any suggestions from experienced Nid Players?

Perversor
22-01-2016, 05:50
So i decided i wanted to start a new army and build a competitive list. Looking thru some articles and army list that have won GTs and such i have found out that much of the tyranids formations ect is in data slates and the Shield of Baal leviathan books.

So i have the codex, what should i get next? I really wish they would have just one source where you could get all the formations ect. There are i think 3 data slates, and the SoB book. I think i really need the SoB book.

Any suggestions from experienced Nid Players?

I can't tell you wich books to sought after , specially if they are fluff worthwhile or not but i know bloodofkittens used to have a detailed compendium of formations with the basic rules.

Can't guarantee those comes with all needed rules but is useful when you want to check a basic formation/detachment for your army or try something new.

(http://bloodofkittens.com/formation-compendium-2/)

mashkeyboardgetusername
22-01-2016, 13:43
If you're okay with digital editions (some people prefer physical books I know) Black Library have started doing products (http://www.blacklibrary.com/prod-home/prod-home-whd) which collect together all the assorted rules for each faction from various books into a single location, including a Tyranid one (http://www.blacklibrary.com/prod-home/prod-home-whd/tyranid-collection.html) with rules from the codex and the campaign books. Not exactly cheap, I know, but worth mentioning anyway.

Woa
24-01-2016, 07:36
Thanks, that is just what i was looking for!

Ventus
26-01-2016, 19:04
Woa, there are no rumours at this time but it is possible that tyranids will get a new dex in the near future. There are only a few armies that don't have a 7th ed dex. So IMO, I wouldn't go out and pay for the various dataslates, books, etc since GW being GW, if nids do get a new dex in the near future it is very likely that it would supersede older rules/formations and that the new dex might have formations in it (or GW will release a new set of formations - even though rules are not important and GW is a model company they seem willing to charge a lot for rules and spread them out over various supplements). Of course no guarantee. Nids may not ever get a 7th ed dex and GW may not go back to the rapid dex release schedule they had previously, but I am waiting for the new dex release before I spend any more money on my tyranids. Burned too many times (fool me once shame on you - fool me twice shame on me).

williamsond
26-01-2016, 21:43
pity its only in e-format, I can't stand using rules etc in an electronic format.

Ventus
23-02-2016, 17:37
I guess a genestealer cult game is coming out and I've heard that it will have rules to be used in 40K - nice models too. I wonder if genestealer cults will be allies of convenience or something else. As I understand it cults would have been consumed just like other biomass on a hive fleet invasion but for game terms allies of convenience would work.

I hope tyranids get a new dex soon combining all the rules/units spread all over.

Novacane
23-02-2016, 17:44
I guess a genestealer cult game is coming out and I've heard that it will have rules to be used in 40K - nice models too. I wonder if genestealer cults will be allies of convenience or something else. As I understand it cults would have been consumed just like other biomass on a hive fleet invasion but for game terms allies of convenience would work.

I hope tyranids get a new dex soon combining all the rules/units spread all over.

I can see them being the only Battle Brothers Tyranids will ever get. After all GC happen to draw tyranids to worlds, why not have them fight together before they are consumed

Threeshades
25-02-2016, 01:09
pity its only in e-format, I can't stand using rules etc in an electronic format.

I wouldn't mind it if it weren't for most of the GW electronic format rules weren't so atrociously laid out.

Especially the early ones, lately they have at least started including reference tables with weapon profiles, but they are still terrible for looking up information. It's easier to find stuff in a scanned pdf of the print version.