PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnia Discontinued?

Asura Varuna
22-01-2016, 16:34
So Bretonnian kits have been pulled from stores and are now direct order only. Has there been any official word of intent as to what's happening with this army? Re-release? Discontinued?

I'm asking because I intend to start a conversion project based on the men-at-arms kit, and was wondering whether I should stop delaying due to a potentially limited shelf-life.

broxus
22-01-2016, 16:42
No news either way. It's only speculation at this point.

Darth Alec
22-01-2016, 16:42
Official word? Not going to happen. Best bet is that Brettonia is discontinued, and you should get while the getting is possible. Same with Empire and any elven models.

akai
22-01-2016, 16:43
Bretonnian Battalion is still available for purchase at stores. Bretonnian kits have been pulled from store for a very long time. No official word from GW on intent of Bretonnian models in the future. Seeing how majority of the Chaos miniatures made before AoS is getting a book published, I assume for many models in other factions will be following a similar trend. If you are delaying purchase in hopes to get a discount in price...I think you should likely just purchase the items now.

Edit: My guess is that most of the basic plastic models will be repackaged without the "Bretonnia" label.

Melkanador
22-01-2016, 16:50
Nowadays anything produced by GW could be discontinued/limited, be it hobby material, miniatures or game systems.

Nothing is safe, so buy now. That“s GW“s selling strategy.

Philhelm
22-01-2016, 16:53
As already stated, all we can do is speculate at this point. However, my assumption is that GW will continue to sell models for presumably dead factions such as Empire and Bretonnia until the supply dwindles. That could be for a few months or a few years, for all I know. If you're dead set on getting the miniatures, I would suggest getting them sooner rather than later.

Zywus
22-01-2016, 16:58
Nothing official is known, but I would assume they'll be discontinued eventually. I would assume they'll stick around for a year at least so you should have time to finish purchase for your project unless it's truly vast.

Luckily, bretonnian men-at-arms is possibly the one GW kit that has the very best alternatives from other companies so there is alternatives if you don't want to start collecting models that's likely to be discontinued.

http://fireforge-games.com/webstore/men-at-arms/foot-sergeants-details, (very similar in style to the GW men at arms)
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2471 (possibly a bit small to fit well with GW mini)
and possibly the Frostgrave soldiers would all fit well, and that's just the plastics!

Lars Porsenna
22-01-2016, 17:01
There are a lot of historicals that would fit Brets. If you like the 5th ed style better (rather than the IMHO goofy ones they have now), I freely mixed Front Rank Hundred years War infantry figures with 5e GW Brets, as well as Black Tree's Men of Averaign line in addition. Makes for a nicely diverse force, though perhaps not as cheap as a plastic boxed set.

Damon.

Erloas
22-01-2016, 17:55
I had been thinking about doing a Brettonian show army for a long time, but could never justify it because of the cost (and they are still mostly reasonable from GW since they are all 15 year old models). Once I saw the Perry brothers models (and just seeing the Fire Forge models for the first time now) I decided I can do it whenever I want and for cheaper too. More models and lower price. Haven't seen them in person, but on the websites they look as good, if not better than GW's line.

rwphillipsstl
22-01-2016, 22:06
Black Tree Design (BTD) medieval figures, either the historical HYW line or the fantasy "Men of Averaign," are perfectly compatible with Bretonnian figures, either plastic or older metal 5th edition ones. Both BTD lines were sculpted to be compatible with the metal Bretonnians. Below is a link to a YouTube video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vshsg3NgRY

I should add that the Men of Averaign horses are styled like the older Bretonnian horses (cloth barding) and are slightly smaller than the later plastic Bretonnian horses. The armored horses from the BTD "Helsinian" fantasy line are perfect stand-ins (or great variants) for Empire armored horses. The Helsinian infantry and riders are smaller, more like Perry or Fireforge figures in heft and height.

Lars Porsenna
23-01-2016, 02:19
For Empire stuff I was thinking about using some of The Assault Group's Rennaisance range of figures. I have some of their early Samurai, and they are nice big figures too...

Damon.

Smooth Boy
23-01-2016, 05:07
I have noticed that they've removed the tab that used to have all the old factions under it. Now 'empire' is under the order grand alliance, so it looks like they're consolidating stuff. They actually have a 'last chance to buy' section also. So I maybe wouldn't worry too much since presumably models they no longer produce will be under this but I'd get them while you can.

e. not to worry anyone but I can't find marauders or warriors of chaos which I assume means they're OOP? What a pain in the ****, I just bought the army book off ebay.

dalezzz
23-01-2016, 08:00
AoW do nice marauders and warriors , I'm also pretty sure GW will still be making warriors and marauders of some kind ( the stuff from the starter set must be available on eBay at least?)

Zywus
23-01-2016, 08:11
MoM miniatures also makes Chaos Warriors and Marauders
http://www.momminiaturas.com/catalog-cat%C3%A1logo/figuras-28mm/b%C3%A1rbaros/

SVKBaki
23-01-2016, 08:34
Go with Frostgrave plastic soldiers, they combine well with fireforge sergeants, excellent miniatures.

Dosiere
23-01-2016, 08:38
Does that mean the fireforge models are a little more heroic scale? The Frostgrave ones seem pretty bulky.

Vazalaar
23-01-2016, 09:26
Does that mean the fireforge models are a little more heroic scale? The Frostgrave ones seem pretty bulky.

No,

Infact the Fireforge mini's are a bit smaller than Perry HYW, the difference is that some the Fireforge weapons are more bulkier, thus some weapons are slighty more heroic scale. While called a GW fanboy and apologist. I do own a rather impressive collection of non GW miniatures. ;)So I just took this comparison picture, from left to right:

Conquest Games, Fireforge, Perry HYW, Fireforge, Perry HYW, Claymore Casting + Fireforge spear, Conquest Games, Saxon Miniatures, Perry HYW, Fireforge, Perry HYW, Perry First WotR set.

Edit: The picture, because taken from a slight angle disguises the scale difference a bit. Next week I can use a much better camera + stative. If I don't forget, I will take a better horizontal picture.
Edit 2: Another thing I find a negative for fireforge miniatures are the poses, to dynamic for a nice ranked unit.

Dosiere
23-01-2016, 09:33
Cool, thanks! They seem similar enough that once you put some paint on them it's no big deal.

Vazalaar
23-01-2016, 09:41
Cool, thanks! They seem similar enough that once you put some paint on them it's no big deal.

Hmm, the picture is a bit misleading. Next week, I can make a much bettter and huge/zoomed in pictures, where you can see the difference in scale and such much better. I also cheated a bit with the bases, + Empire Greatsword is on a gale force nine magnetic base, which is lower than the GW bases, this combined with the attached base that all historical plastics have, glued on a gw base, makes those mini's fit better with GW humans.

I think you can really make a very great looking Empire/Bretonnian army if you convert a bit, are a good painter and don't try to mix to many different company miniatures. Also the current GW plastic Bretonnian infantry are bulky midgets compared with current GW humans and most plastic historicals.

Zywus
23-01-2016, 10:03
Hmm, the picture is a bit misleading. Next week, I can make a much bettter and huge/zoomed in pictures, where you can see the difference in scale and such much better. I also cheated a bit with the bases, + Empire Greatsword is on a gale force nine magnetic base, which is lower than the GW bases, this combined with the attached base that all historical plastics have, glued on a gw base, makes those mini's fit better with GW humans.Oh, please do. I love to have good comparasion pics to guide my future purchases.

It would be great with a picture directly from the front, no angle.
If possible you could also take pieces of thin plasticard or perhaps blobs of bluetac to prop up models on thinner bases so that everyone feet are at the same level.

Vazalaar
23-01-2016, 10:29
Oh, please do. I love to have good comparasion pics to guide my future purchases.

It would be great with a picture directly from the front, no angle.
If possible you could also take pieces of thin plasticard or perhaps blobs of bluetac to prop up models on thinner bases so that everyone feet are at the same level.

Yes, I can do that, PM me if I at the end of next week haven't posted a comparison picture. :)

Zywus
23-01-2016, 10:45
Yes, I can do that, PM me if I at the end of next week haven't posted a comparison picture. :)
Will do!:)

smaxx
23-01-2016, 17:04
I had been thinking about doing a Brettonian show army for a long time, but could never justify it because of the cost (and they are still mostly reasonable from GW since they are all 15 year old models). Once I saw the Perry brothers models (and just seeing the Fire Forge models for the first time now) I decided I can do it whenever I want and for cheaper too. More models and lower price. Haven't seen them in person, but on the websites they look as good, if not better than GW's line.
Fireforge and Perry miniatures are really good quality for a reasonable price. I don't have the FF knigths, but I've played many times against them. They are better than GWs plastic Bretonnia range by far. The size is smaller, so it's better to do the whole army using Fireforges models. Perrys infantry can be used very well together with those knoghts.

Eddie Chaos
23-01-2016, 17:41
It's impossible to say what kits will survive the transition to aos, chaos seems to be largely in tact for example.

I predict any "recent" plastics like the demigriffs will still be with us in the new factions but probably not much of the Bretonnian line.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Griefbringer
23-01-2016, 18:03
Regarding the Perry plastics, please notice that they also have an upcoming French infantry set in the works for the early 15th century, and hopefully getting released in near future. This should be great source for those looking to build Bretonnian men-at-arms. You can find quite some pictures (including sprue shot) on their website:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/pages.php?page=plastics-workbench

Malagor
23-01-2016, 18:35
Those looks great. Perry strike again.

Dosiere
23-01-2016, 18:37
Another nice looking set from the Perrys. Too bad there aren't more one handed spear and shield options, those look great.

Griefbringer
23-01-2016, 18:49
And for those looking for some archers (complete with stakes), please notice the matching Perry English army set:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3217

And there is a sprue shot available here:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_63&products_id=3218

Perrys have also mentioned that they are planning to also make a cavalry set to match these two infantry sets, but that will not probably be released anytime soon.

Drakkar du Chaos
22-02-2016, 10:09
Tomb Kings effectively squatted : thread bump.
If you want some of these miniatures, do not wait for Bretonnia "last chance to buy", the products will be gone fast.

Zywus
22-02-2016, 12:19
If you want some of these miniatures, do not wait for Bretonnia "last chance to buy", the products will be gone fast.
Although, do check out Fireforge, Perrys, Gripping beast etc first. They have a very similar aestetic, are cheaper and have arguably better sculpts as well.

Kyriakin
22-02-2016, 13:53
Tomb Kings effectively squatted : thread bump.
I think this thread has become a discussion of how to make an army of this type without supporting the company that has initiated this squat-fest.

However, this is obviously not applicable to more unique concepts like the Grail Reliquae and iconic GW miniatures like the Green Knight.

Zywus
22-02-2016, 14:05
I think this thread has become a discussion of how to make an army of this type without supporting the company that has initiated this squat-fest.

However, this is obviously not applicable to more unique concepts like the Grail Reliquae and iconic GW miniatures like the Green Knight.Of course, the more crazy stuff don't have alternatives (although I think the Frostgrave cultists are ripe for the creation of a group of religious fanatics, suitable for a regiment of grail pilgrims carrying a Reliquae) but the more generic stuff does.

If you want a specific model, buy it from GW sooner rather than later, as the days of GW's bretonnia range if numbered. But for the infantry and the knights, do check out the alternatives since they're arguably a far superior value per £ and are ranges that will be supported in the future unlike the Bretonnians.

It's not even necessarily about not supporting GW. It's about choosing a better product for your money, and a product where you'll be able to increase your units or get new ones of the same design without having to trawl Ebay.

boli
22-02-2016, 14:37
I miss the old days when you looked up old metal miniatures in the catalog and they would do a special casting of any item or model :/

Griefbringer
22-02-2016, 17:33
Speaking of the alternatives, I would like to point out that the previously discussed Perry French infantry (and matching foot knights) have now been released:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3414
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3415

As for the more exotic choices, I presume that inventive modellers will be able to come up with plenty of alternatives for the grail reliquary - essentially what you need a bunch of guys on 40x60 mm base carrying some sort of relics (or maybe even pulling a cart containing a chest of relices). The battle pilgrims themselves are essentially bunch of guys with shields and hand weapons, no shortage of options on that side.

Stone-throwing devices of various sorts should not exactly be in a short supply, and handy modellers might even be able to put together their own trebutchet out of balsa wood. Converting a crew would of course require some extra work.

The plastic pegasus knights might be missed by a number of people - at least those who would find a unit of metal pegasi a bit hefty to transport.

SuperHappyTime
23-02-2016, 05:23

However, this is obviously not applicable to more unique concepts like the Grail Reliquae and iconic GW miniatures like the Green Knight.

Of course, the more crazy stuff don't have alternatives (although I think the Frostgrave cultists are ripe for the creation of a group of religious fanatics, suitable for a regiment of grail pilgrims carrying a Reliquae) but the more generic stuff does.

If you want a specific model, buy it from GW sooner rather than later, as the days of GW's bretonnia range if numbered. But for the infantry and the knights, do check out the alternatives since they're arguably a far superior value per £ and are ranges that will be supported in the future unlike the Bretonnians.

It's not even necessarily about not supporting GW. It's about choosing a better product for your money, and a product where you'll be able to increase your units or get new ones of the same design without having to trawl Ebay.

Regrettably agree with both of you. One of my personal pet peeves is how different the cheaper alternative is to the GW models. And no, "counts as" sometimes doesn't fly.

On topic; Along with the Bretonnians I think the more generic Dwarfs (Warriors, Quarrelers/Thunderers, Grudge Thrower) as well as the Wood Elves (at minimum, those items that didn't get a plastic release during 2014), the Greenskins (lots of un-re-packed metals) and maybe a few Ogre Kingdoms models (Gnoblars and Sabretusks for two examples) also get some cuts. It's a bit more of a long shot, since people actually bought them before, but I think we get quite a re-tooling on both High and Dark Elves.

Maybe I'm a conspiracy theorist, but 2 years ago we would all have scoffed at any of these ideas occurring.