PDA

View Full Version : warhammer 40k zombie/undead codex? (feed back needed)

Commissar_Cripple
25-01-2016, 08:11
Hey guys, so I really like 40k and I really like zombies and I have been brain storming ideas for a zombie codex that I could type up on word and print out for myself to use.
The only problem is I need help creating the units such as HQ, Troops, Elites, Fast attack, and Heavy support as well as point values, war gear and special rules.

here are some ideas i have so far,

HQ: Chaos Necromancer kinda like a sorcerer but can raise more zombies and reinforce squads or buff them or something like that.
such as buff to toughness, +1 to their feel no pain roll, +1 attack, maybe make them faster for a turn.

Troops: zombies 20-50 models per unit, special rules fearless, feel no pain (5+), slow (cant run in the shooting phase) infectious bite (poison 6+) no Armour save, human stat line 1 attack base, 4 points per model

Troops: armed zombies 10-20 models per unit armed with auto pistols, BS 2, or maybe this is an upgrade for the zombies above

Troops: fast zombies like 28 days later fast.

Elites: plague zombies like a buffed version of normal zombies that are harder to kill.

Elites: zombies that burst up out of the ground near an enemy unit.

Heavy support: Undead ogryns

special rules:
epidemic
If an enemy models is killed by a zombie immediately place a new zombie model where the model was removed.

Y​ou gotta shoot em in the head
after a zombie is killed lay the model down flat at the end of the opponents shooting phase roll to see if the zombies stand back up on a 6+ the zombie gets back up.

Were surrounded
If a zombie unit encircles a vehicle the vehicle cant move due to the mass of bodies slowing it down the zombies can then pose a threat to the vehicles weapons and crew maybe glancing on a 6+ if they surround it 5+ if open topped

Overwhelmed
If a zombie unit or units begins the assault phase outnumbering the opponent 3 to 1 the opponents lose an attack to a minimum of 1 because there are so many bodies is hard to move and attack effectively in a cramped space.

modeling wise I really like the look of mantic zombies and ghouls

So that's what i thought of so far if you guys have any ideas regarding unit types, special rules point value tweaks, war gear options, what models would best represent what, please feel free to tell me what you think.

WarsmithGarathor94
25-01-2016, 11:29
Id personally take some inspiration from resident evil for stuff for this codex and dead space too

blackcherry
25-01-2016, 12:29
If you can find it, the Eye of Terror Campaign Codex included rules for The Lost and the Dammed which may help with inspiration, and the 4th edition Deamonhunter and Witchhunters codex's had rules for demonic possession and armies controlled by powerful psychers where the units can behave 'zombie like'.

All three shouldn't cost too much on Ebay to get hold of, with some great fluff too.

wyvirn
25-01-2016, 14:16
Doesn't Epidemius already have a similar effect? And I think one of the IA has a zombie unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwarsh41
25-01-2016, 16:24
A lot of this stuff already exists, and through allies, you can have a very awesome zombies army.

First, at the core, there are Siege of Vraks, and IA:13 Zombies, and Necrosius.

These zombies are basically WS/I 2 guardsmen with no save, but a +4 FnP. They are also 3pt each. Both Vraks and IA:13 let you take them as a troop choice when your warlord is aligned with nurgle. When they win combat, killing everything, or causing the enemy to flee, you gain D3 more zombies. While Necrosius is on the board, all zombies gain furious charge. Necrosius himself is also pretty dang awesome. He comes with Nurgles Rot, Gift of Contagion, and a special focused witch fire that auto hits, meaning you just choose who takes the fleshbane AP2 hit.

Going back to the other units, where they are, and what book they are in

Zombies: covered them above. Non compulsory troops with Necrosius warlord (CSM) single troop choice with IA:13Nurgle warlord, Troops in Vraks with nurgle warlord
Armed zombies: Mutant rabble/Infatry platoon. 3pt infantry that have a close combat weapon and pistol, no armor save. They can get a 6 up (but what is the point?) and you can give them a champion, and upgrade him to nurgle for a +6 FnP. Vraks/IA13, troops(more below)
Fast Zombies: You could take mutant rabble and give them mark of slaanesh. They trade a little durability for fleet. You can give them all shotguns for free too. IA:13 troops, Vraks can only be nurgle or khorne Otherwise you could take Furies of Nurgle Jump infantry daemons that would gain shrouded and defensive grenades for being daemons Daemons, Fast attack
Burst up zombies: Ally in daemons for plaguebearers. They are the totally elite compared to the standard zombies. Daemons troops
Plague zombies: This is literally what the Vraks/IA:13 zombies are called. There is no reason to have this when you can have this in both troops and elite. Trust me, you wont need more zombies. Could also be plaguebearers with an FnP herald.
Undead Ogryns: These sort of exist. Renegade Ogryns with a dedication to Nurgle. Now, these suckers are stupid expensive, and rarely worth it with their rules. 3W at T5 with a +6FnP isn't much for +60pt per model Vraks/IA:13, elite For around 10pt less, you could get the almost the exact same profile, but with a +5 invul, poison, IWND defensive grenades, some other special rules AND be a beast for 12" move through beasts of Nurgle Daemons, Elite

So as of now, its looking like a Seige of Vraks Renegades army, allied with chaos daemons will give you all you need. But wait! THERE IS MORE!!!! Vraks and daemons have a few things that could be thematic and cool!

Vraks
Renegade infantry platoon: This one is for theme only. This unit starts with pistols, but can take lasguns instead for free. The downside is you need 3 units per troop choice, but at 3pt, that is not bad. Without caring for special weapons and whatnot, the only upgrades I suggest are the chaos sigil (psuedo fearless) the vox caster (re-roll random leadership) possibly armor (for armored zombies) and champ of nurgle for +6 fnP. Best of all, for 10pt, they all get KRAK grendaes. So they are a threat to MCs and vehicles! The bonus of these dudes is you can take an unending host, which I will cover in detail below.
Mutant rabble: Non platooned, cant take rapid fire weapons, upgraded armor, or much anything fancy, they have curse of mutation, which could give them fear, acute senses/scout, or make them +1 strength with hammer of wrath. All of these have a downside though (-1 leadership to nearby allies, blast/heavy weapons count as blind, and always must charge) could really add some variety though!
Enforer Cadre (big zombie): For a quarters worth of points, you get a character that can be attached to mutant rabble, renegade infantry, or veterans and sticks with them. You can give them combat drugs, for re-rolling wounds in the first turn of combat. This would only really apply to boost your armed zombies. This dude can take carapace armor (oooh fancy!) and even some special CC weapons to add a little oomph to the unit (POWER FIST!), with 3 attacks base and WS4, would be a nice Heavy zombie to throw in the mix. Also give the unit +1 leadership, and if you fail a moral or leadership you MUST remove a model as casualty and re-roll. You can buy 5 of them as a single elite and they must be put into the units mentioned above.
Chaos spawn: Currently vraks has a typo, says you can only take spawn through master of renegades, but no tzeentch means that is impossible. FW has confirmed they are standard elite choices. Its a unit of 3 for 55pt, no upgrades or anything.
Artillery!!!!: You want to get funky? Artillery is basically a T7 MC that cannot fight, and needs people to load ammo into it. So convert a hideous blob of flesh and gore that fires putrid bombs of **** and bile. Vraks has access to just about every tank and artillery that IG does. I think that Heavy mortars and quadd guns would be the best, as they are medium sized and immobile. You could probably use a plague toad from FW on a bigger base, raised up a bit as a heavy mortar. Then it has zombie crew!
Plague drone!: You get 1 as an elite choice for Vraks, Daemons can take them as fast I believe. Its a vehicle, but it looks like an FMC to many. Its super awesome.
GIANT CHAOS SPAWN Lords of war!!!! 80pt up to 3 and they function individually. They are slow, tough, and crazy.
SPINED CHAOS BEAST Lords of WAR!!! More expensive than spawn, and arguably much less useful, but still there!
Vraks also gets tanks, but boo on that, zombies dont use tanks!

UNENDING HOST!: This is an awesome detachment, and I think it is what you are looking for. You take a master of the horde with nurgle upgrade. You MUST have 1HQ and 4 troops. (No problem) and you get 1hq 8 troops, 2 elite, 1 fast (vraks has no fast), 1 heavy, and 1 lord of war as optional. Superb, this is just about as perfect as it gets. This is only good for if you bring lots of Renegade infantry platoon, but they should be your armed zombies anyway. Whenever a unit is completely destroyed (in any way, even running off the table) on a +2, they enter ongoing reserves with outflank. You also can roll 2D6 and choose the highest if you run the turn you came back on the table. You keep every upgrade too. Now, as for a special rule you can get behind! Till the Guns Run Dry All cover saves given for an enemy firing through a friendly renegade infantry squad will be increased to a +3 from a +5. The real big winner is the outflank recycling units to represent the unending horde of zombies popping up from where you least expected them, but this is a nice bonus.

Daemons
Herald of nurgle: The obvious go-to choice for an allied unit in this army. Zombies are weight of numbers, so you don't want to waste points on a GUO. This dude can be decked out a lot, or kept base and bare for a cheap source of FnP, or other upgrades through his locus. You can now take 1-4 as a single HQ in an allied army (check FAQ)
Nurglings!: Cheap annoying swams. Instead of using nurglings, convert a bunch of zombies crawling on the ground with no legs! They don't pack a punch in CC, but they will hold stuff down, which is exactly what legless zombies do!
Furies: Covered above, but just wanted to point them out again. The models are terrible right now, and expensive. With Nurgle (for shrouded/defensive grenades) they are something like 8pt each. Only leadership 2 though, so instability will absolutely destroy them if you fail combat, but S4 jump infantry. Slaanesh will keep them the same cost, but give them fleet and rending (much better choice, even if out of theme)
PORTAL GLYPH This is an exalted upgrade for an HQ choice. on a +4 you get D6 of any daemon troops. Its a 12/12/12 hp1 immobile open topped vehicle. It is literally the same size as a small blast. This is fun in your back field, for theme, make a sewer grate or something and plaguebearers might crawl out of it! (or daemonettes, or bloodletters if you wanted!)
Epidemus: I left him at the bottom because his tally is only raised, and effects DAEMONS OF NURGLE, which you wont have enough of for him to matter.

The special rules you listed would be so obscenely overpowered it is not even funny. I regularly take a single unit of 30-50 zombies when I run R&H. That single unit has never died. It held up a TWC star for 4/6 turns of the game. The closest any army has ever come to killing all my SINGLE UNIT of zombies, is Sisters of Battle. High chair commander was dropping S6 pies all over the combat, killing 10-15 each turn. 1 survived (though if necrosius hadn't spawned himself that wouldn't have happened)
Taking 2-3 units of 30 zombies, as slow as they are, T3 with +4 FnP is surprisingly durable. ESPECIALLY when they are SO FREAKING CHEAP! Try it out, get a squad of whatever you want, and see how long it takes them to kill their same points in T3 +4FnP dudes. Very few common units will do it.

If you can't tell, I have been thinking up narratives for my renegades for a while. I absolutely love the army, and when you ally with daemons, you get an extra level of awesome (they count as CSM for allies, but can still ally with CSM, so battle bros with daemons)
There is a decent amount of stuff I didn't mention from the Vraks book, like their funky psykers and whatnot. I would give that book a glance, at least try building a list with them in battle scribe.
Oh, and Vraks commanders are ICs, so they don't need to stay in their command squad.

So for a real basic hordes list, here is an unending host at 1500pt

Command sqad - warlord with +5 invul, nurgle, master of hordes
chaos spawn
chaos spawn
30 zombies
30 zombies
30 zombies
Platoon with 3 units 25 strong. nurgle champ, chaos sigil, 2 flamer, 2 meltaguns, militia training and grenades.
Platoon with 3 units 25 strong. nurgle champ, chaos sigil, 2 flamer, 2 meltaguns, militia training and grenades.
Field artillery - 3 quad launchers (because it was about 90pt and these things are super fun)

That list is 240 infantry. 6 units of 25 will come back when they die on a +2 with outflank, and 90 dudes are fearless zombies. The mortars could be swapped for 30 mutant rabble it you wanted, or anything! At 1850 ally in daemons, drop the chaos spawn, 2 units of PB, herald, and some beasts of nurgle or furies!

Disclaimer - my 1850 games generally only have about 150 dudes. Usually 100 of them are not on artillery. Deploying and moving all that infantry is seriously rough. I would start this at low point levels.

Commissar_Cripple
25-01-2016, 17:36
gwarsh41 thanks for all the advice. I really like the nurglings/zombies with no legs idea. I will definitely look into the siege of Vraks book. Also what would you recommend to deal with enemy Armour?

gwarsh41
25-01-2016, 18:44
If you bring infantry platoons, you can bring a special weapon for every 5 dudes, which is nice if you run the unending host, as you could get 4 meltaguns outflanking later on. They also can all have krak grenades, which, short of a land raider or the few AV13 walkers, you will be good. You can also drop heavy weapons teams in your infantry platoon squads. My go-to for take all comers is the following:
Tzeentch champion, 2 melta, vox caster, sigil, 2 autocannon teams, 11 lasguns, all with militia training and krak grenades. (tzeentch is snap shot on 5s, they also are my anti air lol)

The biggest thing Vraks has to take out armor is the artillery. You can get rapier laser batteries, which are hands down the best artillery point for point in the game. S9ap1 twin linked ordnance, only 36" range though. You can bring a unit of 3 of them for 79pt. To stick with the giant immobile beasts slinging bile from the back, you have Earthshakers (s9 ap3 barrage 5" 24-240 range) and Medusa (s10 ap2 5" 36" range or a 3" same strength ap1 with armorbane, but 48") Expensive, but 4 wounds on artillery and 8 crew and comes in units of 3 means they are a perfect place to hide a warlord (especially if the warlord has fearless, fanatic, or zealot)
If you converted some giant nasty putrid zombie beasts with cannons on their backs, they would make great Medusa, and everyone fears demolisher cannons! Just remember that the earthshaker is barrage, while the medusa needs line of sight at all times.

Personally, I would suggest getting IA:13. The vraks army is the same as IA:13, but they have more restrictions, such as no tzeentch or slaanesh, and no fast attack options. The book offers the formations, the different warlord upgrades and some different rules (like more zombies and lords of war restrictions) The Vraks book also has a few spots where it just says "Look at IA:13 for the rules" Specifically for the lords of war.

totgeboren
20-02-2016, 18:38
gwarsh41 thanks for all the advice. I really like the nurglings/zombies with no legs idea. I will definitely look into the siege of Vraks book. Also what would you recommend to deal with enemy Armour?

As a fellow zombie fan (got 105 of the buggers now!) I get where you are coming from, but as has been said, much of what you want already exist in different Chaos army list entries, so a whole new army seems somewhat unnecessary.

However, considering the 40k universe, I think it would make sense to relegate the heavy-hitting to the Daemons. The army will probalby work better as a sort of Quake-themed (the game) thing, with lots of zombies as the basic mobs and a few horror-daemon-monsters to spice things up.
Just pick an IA5:2ed army as primary detachment with a Warlord with Convenant of Nurgle (so you get zombies as troops). Pick as many zombies as you want, say ~150. That's around 500 pts. Spend the rest on a Great Unclean one, Plaguebearers, Soulgrinders and whatever else you fell like.

You will now swamp the board in zombies, with PBs (who get a 3+ cover save behind the zombies and are rather good vs vehicles), and having a few 'end-bosses' in the form of a Greater daemon and Soul grinders.

Guess they will be weak vs flyers, but in all zombie scenarios I know of (except WWZ I suppose), zombies are not very efficient vs flyers.

Personally, I would suggest getting IA:13. The vraks army is the same as IA:13, but they have more restrictions, such as no tzeentch or slaanesh, and no fast attack options. The book offers the formations, the different warlord upgrades and some different rules (like more zombies and lords of war restrictions) The Vraks book also has a few spots where it just says "Look at IA:13 for the rules" Specifically for the lords of war.

Worth pointing out that if you pick an army from IA13 you are restricted to a single unit of zombies. IA5 does not have that restriction, so if it's a zombie army he is after IA13 will not be of much help (since one unit, even if it can be 50 zombies strong, does not a zombie horde make).

Lord Damocles
20-02-2016, 18:41
If you wanted a monstrous creature zombie (Great Unclean One), Red Fury featured a big beastie made up of lots of zombies all mashed together to make one giant zombie monster.

Threeshades
24-02-2016, 04:29
special rules:
epidemic
If an enemy models is killed by a zombie immediately place a new zombie model where the model was removed.

Y​ou gotta shoot em in the head
after a zombie is killed lay the model down flat at the end of the opponents shooting phase roll to see if the zombies stand back up on a 6+ the zombie gets back up.

Were surrounded
If a zombie unit encircles a vehicle the vehicle cant move due to the mass of bodies slowing it down the zombies can then pose a threat to the vehicles weapons and crew maybe glancing on a 6+ if they surround it 5+ if open topped

Overwhelmed
If a zombie unit or units begins the assault phase outnumbering the opponent 3 to 1 the opponents lose an attack to a minimum of 1 because there are so many bodies is hard to move and attack effectively in a cramped space.

modeling wise I really like the look of mantic zombies and ghouls

So that's what i thought of so far if you guys have any ideas regarding unit types, special rules point value tweaks, war gear options, what models would best represent what, please feel free to tell me what you think.

Let me see:

Epidemic: Make that an "enemy infantry model" and "killed in close combat".

Shoot em in the head: I would just make that a feel no pain. After all zombies literally feel no pain.

We're surrounded: That rule is way too vague. There is no rule that defines when a model is "encircled" may i instead suggest something like "If a unit of zombies charges a vehicle with no more than one hull point in its profile per 10 zombies in the unit, that vehicle cannot move as long as the zombie unit remains in contact."

Overwhelmed: I would leave this out. If tyranid gaunts and orkboys can't do this kind of thing, then slow lumbering zombies especially shouldn't be able to.

As for ideas for units, I recall reading a 40k short story where a unit of space marines (I don't recall the chapter, might have actually been grey knights) being attacked by zombies and at some point a mass of corpses rose into the form of a giant humanoid monster. So some kind of corpse party monster, think the One Reborn (http://vgfaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Bloodborne-The-One-Reborn-Boss-Fight.jpg) from Bloodborne.