PDA

View Full Version : Honorifica Imperials

Major King
10-07-2006, 09:29
Okay, i may have this in the wrong section. But i assumed that the rules section is for rules queries and not the discussion for new rules.

When playing against a regular opponent of mine, we both play Guard and use the Honorifica Imperialis, the idea cropped to mind for having a lesser version of the Honorifica. Basically, rule wise it will be the same (1 per army etc) but the stats change would be to that of a Senior Officer rather than a Heroic Senior Officer and will cost 15 points.

What do people think of this idea?

Death Cat
10-07-2006, 11:32
Ive been thinking about this one after we talked about it and im not too sure, may work, may not. I think we need some other peoples input on this.

Gen.Steiner
10-07-2006, 13:49
Why would you use the Hon. Imp. anyway?

I dunno. A 15pt boost to Senior Officer stats... well... Mm. Playtest it and see what you think, but come up with an impressive sounding name - how about the Imperial Cross? Hah! You could make a 20pt version (Imperial Cross in Gold) that gives +1 to Ld or I.

ffclubhero
11-07-2006, 03:35
I'll second the General (not that he needs it) on the playtest bit. That'll let you know whether or not to use it in future games.

BTW, anyone bet that something like this will show up in a future IG Codex? We all know GW patrols, eh, peruses, forums, looking for law breakers. :D Not that they would ever borrow any ideas without compensating necessary parties. ;)

Major King
11-07-2006, 09:56
Oh i have a few quarrels with GW on that basis lol

ss_cherubael
11-07-2006, 10:50
GW streals ideas all the fething time, i think it would be good if GW for the next IG codex did a system of medals and what not that give various bonuses, would be a nice way of changing your commander in line with the way you want your army to be, an example such as a front line commander having higher WS and I to say a general that prefers to be back at HQ giving out orders who might get re rolls and LD benefits. just an idea guys!

as for the the lesser imperialis, who would you give it to and who do you usually give the honorifica to?

i dont think that it would really be worth the 15pts if you have already upped one persons stats...

revford
11-07-2006, 11:32
I'm not too sure about it, it would seem a little too good as you could then have three multi wound officers rather than the current two. Senior Officer in Command HQ + Honorifica in another squad.

As many guard armies in average sized (1500pts ?) games only have three officers (HQ, two platoons) why not simply allow Senior Officers as a 'Captain' choice for Platoon HQs? The cost (diff between JO and SO) would be the same, 15pts?

Steel_Legion
11-07-2006, 12:05
i like the idea, too many people tool up HQs and this risks landing in the HSO with the honorifica already in it, and it gets very "un-guardy" as the guard are rubbish, they are ment to be anyway.

ss_cherubael
11-07-2006, 13:05
i like the idea of being able to take a captain as a platoon HQ choice. also if you want more officers have a look in WD and find the high command rules!

Major King
11-07-2006, 21:27
I personally would like a slightly more customisable approach to be taken with characters. Like with daemonic upgrades, but on a lesser scale so that a commander will have abilities reflecting his/her career. Maybe it would be an idea to try out, what do you think, DeathCat?

Steel_Legion
11-07-2006, 21:47
i like that idea, like personality traits etc, but it could get out of hand, like tooled up guard officers that are better than marine counterparts. can someone remind me which WD the high command rules are in? i might do that for my main cadian 8th high command.

alons
14-07-2006, 07:59
i like the idea of traits and i believe that with a little work, you can stop the officer out doing a marine (no bonuses to A,W,WS)

heres an example of a version of this thread that i had
Overzelous fighter - +1 to WS but a -1 to Ld
(my thinking is that he WANTS to fight in HTH due to background/family traits)
Sharp eyes - +1 to BS but a -1 to I
(is a good shooter but like many snipers, is a little slow on the uptake)
Muscle enhansements- +1 to S but a -1 to BS
(genesplicing can be performed on those with the right contacts)
Sensor inplant - +1 to I but no bionics option
(a handy implant that scans the nearly area foe potential foes(think of the halo 1 marines with the eye piece))

add in a limit of 1 enhancement to senior officers ans 2 for Heroic Senior Officers
(the negative side effects are to prevent an officer from owning a SM)

revford
14-07-2006, 10:14
The problem here would be how these interact with the existing advance system for Guard, the Doctrines.

Could I have an Overzelous Fighter who is also a Hardened Fighter, giving him WS 6?

Or man with Sharp Eyes who is also a Sharpshooter, BS 5 and rerolling in the only thing he misses on, a 1?

alons
14-07-2006, 10:15
make it so that if you use officer traits, you cant use doctrines

ss_cherubael
14-07-2006, 10:19
or let people buy back the officer traits like it is a restricted choice, and the doctrines already have limitations on them such as not being able to take light infantry and carapace armour so what would be so hard about maybe saying that if X is taken you cant take Y. I was thinking that the guard commander would have upgrades that would benefit the army more than just beef his own stats up as there arnt that many front line HS officers still kicking.

alons
25-07-2006, 08:14
i see your point, making officer traits a doctrine

i like gaurdsmen but an army needs capable men to lead it
the traits give the officers (who should be leading a charge, not standing behind a hill with a mortar and com-officer) a better chance of standing up in a fight

Gen.Steiner
25-07-2006, 08:24
...the officers (who should be leading a charge, not standing behind a hill with a mortar and com-officer) a better chance of standing up in a fight

Nooo! Officers are for hiding behind hills to command and control things! Not running into the first machine-gun post they can find and dying - that's what the NCOs are for. :rolleyes:

alons
25-07-2006, 09:02
the NCO is the guy who 'gasp' has no power weapon!
look, my nco has just been creamed by a termy that a power weapon would have killed! Oh dear, if my CO is not in combat, then he is not safe

Colonel_Kreitz
25-07-2006, 09:39
Actually, that's an interesting idea. Not real difficult to do rules-wise either.

I must say, I've been hoping that whenever Guard gets redone, they redo some of the rules for the medals, like the Medallion Crimson and Macharian Cross. Both are very cool ideas, but a bit expensive for their usefulness (I do not think I have ever seen a Macharian Cross used in a real game).

i like that idea, like personality traits etc, but it could get out of hand, like tooled up guard officers that are better than marine counterparts. can someone remind me which WD the high command rules are in? i might do that for my main cadian 8th high command.

Hopefully, they'll add some other medals in the next iteration of the IG Codex (which probably won't be for a while, since there's nothing seriously wrong with the current one) to expand one some of the cooler ideas in the present one (maybe integrate some Medusa V Medals?)

That having been said, I agree wholeheartedly; I think the direction Guard medals should go in is towards tactical bonuses. That is, rather than making someone an uber close-combat trooper, go for stuff more like the Macharian Cross. +1 to choosing sides or first turn for one medal, Re-rolling fire priority tests for units inside a certain range, or things along those lines. I think that'd keep IG officers doing what they should be doing (giving orders) and adding some additional flavor to individual officers. In fact, the fluff possibilities are limitless...

revford
25-07-2006, 09:57
More medals would be cool.

Maybe make things like Iron Dicipline a medal? Or the Eagle's Claw for drop troops?

I agree that not much needs to change in the Guard Codex, maybe some more wargear like Hellguns/Hellpistols and an infatry Heavy Stubber.

Gen.Steiner
25-07-2006, 12:02
Things That Need To Change:

1) Tactical bonus medals.
2) Rough Riders to get pistol, CCW and lance
3) Basilisk to be replaced by the Griffon.

Wishlist:

Baneblade... :)

revford
25-07-2006, 12:37
1. Agreed
2. Or shotgun and lance
3. Indeed, save the Basilisk for Artillery Companies!

While utterly daft for 40K, I have looked at the doctrine to turn your Armour Company into an Artillery Company. I'd have to use Trojans rather than Chimera for the Command vehicles....

Gen.Steiner
25-07-2006, 12:47
The Artillery Company would be obscene. :D

"I deploy Troops 1."
"It's just three Basilisks!"
"I know. Ooh, Troops 2."
"But ... but ... Medusas!?"
"Yup. Troops 3..."
"Gah! Bombards!?"
"Uh-huh. Ooh, Heavy Support."
"LEMAN RUSSES!?"
"Yips."
"I surrender."

revford
25-07-2006, 12:56
I've a soft spot for a battery of Manticores, for when I need a weapon with a 25' range.

alons
27-07-2006, 11:25
the only way i play against and armoured company is if i get told beforehand so i can load up on the antitank

marv335
27-07-2006, 11:30
artillery company?
i'm taking drop pods and meltas thank you.