PDA

View Full Version : Progressing through the Ranks

Sharkbelly
26-01-2016, 01:25
You know what would be awesome? A Warscroll template, like an empty warscroll that you could change the stats and stuff on. Then Heroes and stuff could evolve during campaigns and "find" magic weapons. If someone has created this or gets motivated to do so, please let me know :) I do realize that I could just type down whatever on a piece of paper, but I really like the visuals of the official warscrolls, and I got literary 0 skill with things like that.

I've been thinking about this too, in terms of having a game where characters can increase in skill as they gain experience. Let's look at the Empire's state troops and General:

Now, the sergeant is really just a basic state trooper with an extra attack. Simple enough.

To progress all the way to general, though, the trooper picks up 4 more wounds, a +1 to hit, and (depending on weapon) a couple of attacks and perhaps a better chance of damaging and/or the causing extra damage. Still pretty simple.

Anybody here ever play the Warhammer RPG? This reminds me a lot of that. As they gained experience, characters went up in toughness and wounds, and got better at hitting and causing damage. Very similar.

Philhelm
26-01-2016, 02:05
I think that some system like that would greatly improve AOS, and lend some credence to it being a "narrative" game.

sephiroth87
26-01-2016, 02:16
OP, I think the system you were looking for was called mordheim. Or the general's compendium. Or blood in the badlands. Seriously, you could use any of those to house rule it for AoS.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sharkbelly
26-01-2016, 02:43
Yep, you certainly could. But Mordheim didn't incorporate all the armies of the Warhammer world. And the other two are built around large scale armies.

A system like this keeps it simple, while allowing all existing models to be used.

I'm drawing up a campaign right now that has Dwarves and Imperial Solders and Witch Hunters going into Sylvania to defeat a powerful Vampire Lord. Good stuff.