PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Design a Craftworld

Lord_Crull
25-02-2016, 17:07
So I am now the proud owner of a plastic Farseer and a box of Dire Avengers. I am intending to make a small 1000pt Allied Detachment, so I figure I should get to making my own homebrew fluff for my Craftworld to fight alongside my homebrew Space Marines in a rather (uneasy) alliance. So I figure I ask about for those more knowledge about the Eldar lore to help me design their fluff.

-I like Aspect Warriors very much. That’s the main draw of the Eldar for me and my Allied force will consist solely of Aspect Warriors. Do other Craftworlds make use of the same Swordwind-style forces as Biel-Tan does? My own Craftworld would be a small, minor craftworld on the edge of Imperial space.

-What’s the government structure of a Craftworld? I was thinking of having my craftworld led by a High Elf-style monarchy as a throwback to the Warhammer Fantasy High Elves.

-I plan to call my craftworld Morall’tach, after the legendary sword of Diarmuid Ua Duibhne in Celtic mythology. As GW drew from Celtic mythology for the Studio Eldar I plan to do so with my force.

--I’m still trying to make up some sort of unique ‘’quirk’’ or trait that every army seems to have. Ike how Iyanden uses Ghost Warriors or Yme-Loc produces war machines. I know Biel-Tan already has a Aspect-Warrior theme, but I’m trying to find different reasons for my Craftworld to make them stand out.

Any other advice or suggestions is welcome. Xenos lore is not my strong suit.

Inquisitor Engel
25-02-2016, 21:41
--I’m still trying to make up some sort of unique ‘’quirk’’ or trait that every army seems to have. Ike how Iyanden uses Ghost Warriors or Yme-Loc produces war machines. I know Biel-Tan already has a Aspect-Warrior theme, but I’m trying to find different reasons for my Craftworld to make them stand out.

Try either focusing on either specific Aspects, Biel-Tan, in the background at least, has a LOT of Dire Avengers and Banshees for example, or a specific exclusion of Guardians instead. Being a smaller craftworld, it may not want to put its population at risk and so has a standing army for defense, whereas Biel-Tan is very Aspect heavy because they're always on the offensive.

Something along those lines might kick start some themed lists.

Grimgork
26-02-2016, 10:56
Nice start here. You might focus on banshees, striking scorpions, autarchs with swords, wraithconstructs with swords coming from the Name of your craftworld. Do you have a symbol already? And then, as Inquisitor Engel suggested, do not use guardians. So, no vehicles, no guardian jetbikes, no warwalkers, you get the image. I like the name you chose.

To your questions.
Your craftworld may very well use a swordwind style tactics. Do not forget, even a small craftworld has a massive army, so every style you fancy is possible.
Same with the government. Normally, they are ruled by a council of seers and autarchs. But as every craftworld is unique, everything is possible. But bear in mind, that Eldar do not use birthright. If you are good enough a seer to become a farseer, you could rule the craftworld. Heritage plays no role in this normally. But you could introduce a monarchy of sorts with the autarchs. So you could have one king autarch that selects his heirs or somesuch. Hope this helps.

SniperLum
26-02-2016, 11:22
I suggest you to take a look to IA11 Doom of Mymeara,there are a lot of funny options to make your own craftworld "traits". From what you told an "Aspect-Lord shrine" will suit perfectly.(you can choose an aspect and switch the three unit of guardians with three unit of that aspect).Than another aspect shrine from the vanilla codex and here we are with a good lore army.

Lord Damocles
26-02-2016, 13:15
-I like Aspect Warriors very much. That’s the main draw of the Eldar for me and my Allied force will consist solely of Aspect Warriors. Do other Craftworlds make use of the same Swordwind-style forces as Biel-Tan does? My own Craftworld would be a small, minor craftworld on the edge of Imperial space.
Aspect Warriors are the professional soldiery of the Craftworlds - most military expeditions should be primarily Aspect-based.

Codex: Craftworld Eldar specifically stated that Craftworlds other than Biel-Tan make use of Swordwind-style formations.
I'm not sure if the Bahzhakhain as a term is specific to Biel-Tan, although I've got a feeling that it's not.

Fangschrecken
26-02-2016, 18:39
To follow up on what Grimgork said, I like the idea of the Autarchs electing a monarch from their own number ala the old Celtic Tanist system, but instead of electing someone related to the king it would be amongst a council of autarchs with exarchs probably getting a vote. It would be interesting to see a craftworld led by a military leader instead of farseers. It would also be nice to occasionally see them on the table...

Lord_Crull
26-02-2016, 21:47
At least on the subject of Aspect Warriors, I was taking note of this passage:

Though some Eldar warhosts till comprise only Aspect Warriors, the millennia have taken their toll, and is all too common for warhosts to rely on a core of Eldar Guardians, those through necessity have donned the mask of a killer despite their path being one of peace. -7th Edition Codex Eldar, pg 15

I'm not entirely certain if this was a semi-retcon put into place to encourage players to buy the Eldar formations in the new book, but I would like to imagine my Warhost falls into the former category. At least in terms of Aspect Warriors, my favorites are the Dire Avengers and Fire Dragons. The Dire Avengers in particular, are my favorites in both models and lore, so I would imagine my Craftworld would place particular focus on those, although given the size of the Craftworld each Aspect has at least one Shrine dedicated to it.

memitchell747
27-02-2016, 10:02
A small craftworld with solely Aspect Warriors reminds me of Sparta. Strong emphasis on the warrior culture.

Fangschrecken
27-02-2016, 17:21
Speaking of Sparta, have Craftworld Eldar been known to use slave laborers? so as to free up Eldar for the task of reconquering the galaxy

kasrkinsquad
28-02-2016, 02:27
Speaking of Sparta, have Craftworld Eldar been known to use slave laborers? so as to free up Eldar for the task of reconquering the galaxy

Not that I know of. Slaves are more of a Dark Eldar trait. CW Eldar wouldn't take slaves. The population would maintain their society and craftworld.

memitchell747
28-02-2016, 10:52
They might not use slaves. But, they might have a ruling warrior caste. So, a mailman doesn't become a Fire Dragon next week. And, that cute barmaid wasn't a Howling Banshee Exarch last month.

Saunders
28-02-2016, 16:28
A Craftworld comprised solely of Aspect Warriors would be a dead Craftworld.

memitchell747
28-02-2016, 19:04
That's saying a Space Marine chapter with only marines would be a dead chapter. The Craftworld would have a support administration, and a cadre of warriors. But, restrictig those eldar from persuing martial paths goes against the Eldar lore, but maybe not be a deal breaker. Perhaps the craftworld uses Eldar from another craftworld (perhaps a larger ally) to cook and clean, and make the beds. From another craftworld so that they are not precluded from returning to their own craftworld to serve as warriors there. It's fulltime residents are Aspect Warriors. Similar to a Space Marine Battle Barge, crewed by serfs and sailors and servitors, and transporting marines as it's main mission. Maybe the smaller craftworld is like an Amphibious ship that closes with the dangerous "coast" while the homeworld craftworld stays back. These minor details do not seem insurmountable.

Saunders
28-02-2016, 21:02
It's not a minor detail when you consider that each Craftworld functions as its own self-sustaining ecosystem that must be maintained by the myriad of paths beyond the path of the warrior.

memitchell747
28-02-2016, 22:42
True, except that we are really only interested in the point of the sword The rest is make believe. For some unknown reason, another thought I had is an Eldar version of the marine's DeathWatch. Aspect Warriors from various Craftworld's come together for specific missions. Probably Exarch heavy. I don't know how much leeway there is with the rules, but maybe that is something to work with. Maybe use Harlequin rules in pinch? (I'm an idea guy, don't play 40K no more).

Grimgork
29-02-2016, 09:47
But A craftworld with only Aspect Warriors would have to be a very very small craftworld. It would be a huge coincident, that every resident decides that his next path would be the path of the warrior. There are even eldar in the fluff that never ever walk the path of the warrior. Mind, warriors are on some craftworlds not that highly regarded. More so on others like Biel Tan.

But it would not be a deal braker either. Eldar have a highly automated Technology. They do not need Cooks and stuff in a strict sense. If there are no Cooks, automata would cook.

As for Eldar Deathwatch. This is supported in the fluff. Eldar form different sources work together all the time (but maybe not on squad Level). Think of Corsairs working with (Dark) Eldar and Harlequins for example. And as Aspect Warriors are the Standing Army of a craftworld and elite in what they do, a Taskforce of Aspect Warriors is not unusual. So, for a 40k Army, go for it :-) LordCrull, The passage you describe is no retcon. And if you like Dire Avengers and Firedragons, they are more than capable enough to build the bulk of your army. If you field various squadrons, you could explore different shrines with different Colors or weapons or Banners etc.

Dr.Clock
29-02-2016, 17:13
There are any number of good reasons for a Craftworld to end up with more Aspects per capita than some of the other 'known' CWs...

Remember that each aspect has a history, connected to the Phoenix Lords travelling and gathering/training 'apostles' in any number of places. It's entirely possible that a given Craftworld will have numerous Shrines for any number of Aspects, or even their 'own' aspects that are not connected to the 'main lines'. You might consider figuring out a good way to do 'counts as' and convert your own kind of Aspect Shrine... this can save you some money if you're clever about it, too.

As to recruitment, it's also possible that the CW's Avatar has been very 'restless' for the past several millennia, or that some cataclysm has caused sufficient anguish etc., that 'recruitment levels remain high' for the Shrines. When the avatar is 'awake', the whole CW feels it, and is moved to rage and war. While they won't ALL be on the front lines, protracted wars WILL result in increasing numbers of recruits.

Doom of Mymeara does indeed contain good rules for representing this kind of world, removing the need to have guardians for a 'decurion-style' unique detachment.

Basically, there's plenty of fluff justification for this kind of thing... and basically you can choose any mixture of aspects.

Avengers and Dragons are great for the core of your force. I'd probably go for a 'mounted' force, using a good number of Serpents for some long-range coverage, mobility and reslience: dragons and DA as infantry are going to get out-shot from a safe distance in most cases...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Lord_Crull
29-02-2016, 20:49

I think that would disrupt the Path system a bit much. The Codex talks about how the Eldar outgrew the need for honest labor and then the moral decay set in. Things like Path of the Artisan or Path of the Farmer exist alongside more exciting paths like that of the Warrior or Seer. I at least certainly don't plan my Craftworld to be that different from the Eldar mainline. They will follow the Path in order to deny Slaanesh and maintain their sanity. They don't really have any kind of ruling warrior caste like Sparta

That comment about Sparta has me thinking though. I am considering a government structure like ancient Rome or Sparta, in the sense that a council of elders elect two magistrates or leaders to lead the government. In the case of my homecrew Craftworld, it would be a Council of Autarchs and Farseers who elect two overall leaders to lead the Craftworld in politics and war.

One of the two ''Elected Kings" would be the Farseer that I would actually use on the tabletop, I envision him as a more calm and contemplative leader, who seeks to utilize the local humans of the nearby Imperial Sector as useful catspaws, thus giving him a reason to fight alongside my homebrew Space Marine Chapter. The other would be an Autarch who would be more aggressive and xenophobic more concerned with eradicating any who cross the Eldar's path.

There are any number of good reasons for a Craftworld to end up with more Aspects per capita than some of the other 'known' CWs...

Remember that each aspect has a history, connected to the Phoenix Lords travelling and gathering/training 'apostles' in any number of places. It's entirely possible that a given Craftworld will have numerous Shrines for any number of Aspects, or even their 'own' aspects that are not connected to the 'main lines'. You might consider figuring out a good way to do 'counts as' and convert your own kind of Aspect Shrine... this can save you some money if you're clever about it, too.

As to recruitment, it's also possible that the CW's Avatar has been very 'restless' for the past several millennia, or that some cataclysm has caused sufficient anguish etc., that 'recruitment levels remain high' for the Shrines. When the avatar is 'awake', the whole CW feels it, and is moved to rage and war. While they won't ALL be on the front lines, protracted wars WILL result in increasing numbers of recruits.

I am thinking of two things about this:

-One the legends of the Craftworld claim that Asurmen himself saved the Craftworld from the depredations of Chaos soon after the Fall. Whether this is true or not, this long-standing myth still engenders a healthy respect of the Aspect Warriors over Guardians or wraith-constructs.

-However others might point to the more practical reasons that the craftworld is in a region of space that often comes under attack by Chaos pirates and Ork warbands often in the recent centuries, thus leading to the need of a strong, robust military. This fact would only be compounded by the fact that a Necron dynasty is awakening in the region alongside the advance guard of a recent Tyranid splinter fleet. Thus things like Exarchs would tend to be accepted in larger numbers than their small size might suggest. So it would be alike an inverse Biel-Tan, with a greater number of Aspect Warriors born out of a need for defense rather than offense.

Saunders
29-02-2016, 21:23
All of this sounds very good.

Grimgork
01-03-2016, 07:50
Your reasoning sounds good. I am looking Forward to your models and painting. Is there a link to your SM chapter?

Do you have an army list in mind already?

iamcjb
01-03-2016, 11:12
You could also consider that as your Craftworld has a relatively small population, all Eldar must used utilised their their extreme potential. As a result the CW cannot afford the luxury of a large guardian force, as soldiers are needed to cover the various aspects, and so guardians are generally only trained and used to pilot the Eldar war machines.

Lord_Crull
02-03-2016, 00:17
Your reasoning sounds good. I am looking Forward to your models and painting.

Well I'm a rather terrible painter and modeler, I must admit. I tend to favor simple and straightforward color schemes. What I have planned is to go with a shadowly grey-bue color scheme broken up by bits of silver and red. Something similar to the Iybraesil scheme, but with more red in it as a secondary color. Probably The Fang for the armor, and Wazzdakka Red, Runefang Steel and Screaming Skill as various secondary colors.

The Aspect Warriors will be painted in their own schemes with elements of The Fang worked in to tie them to my main army.

Is there a link to your SM chapter?

There's some stuff on Bolter and Chainsword that I started a while back.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/303042-trying-to-make-an-imperial-fist-sucessor-chapter/

In short summary they're called the Steel Crusaders. They've changed a bit since the original drafts.

-Imperial Fist 3rd Founding Successor Chapter. Blue and silver color scheme with red fist chapter badge.
-Tough, solid and pragmatic with a straightforward and honorable mindset. They tend to advocate calm and measured responses instead of rash action or zealotry. They view the Codex Astartes as just a useful guide and prefer to adhere to their Chapter traditions first and foremost.
-Noted as a Chapter that responds to any and all requests of aid from Imperial institutions with uncommon eagerness. On one hand this earns them considerable goodwill and political capital among factions such as the Inquisition and Mechanicus. In the other hand it often leaves them in danger of being over-extended and spread thin in their deployments.
-They favor ranged firepower and heavy armor. They have a skewed number of Sternguard and Devastators in comparison to the more assault elements of a typical chapter.

Do you have an army list in mind already?

So far I'm planning this

Farseer
Level Three
Singing Spear

10-Man Dire Avenger Squad
Exarch with choice of wargear
Wave Serpent with upgrades.

This comes to around 400pts or so. I plan to use this as an Allied Detachment alongside a main detachment of Captain with Hammernators in Land Raider, plus a pair of Tactical Squads, some Sternguard and some Centurion Devastators. As befitting my army's lore I always utilize Imperial Fist Chapter Tactics.

Rogue Star
02-03-2016, 13:39
Eldar tend to follow or fall into an Aspect based on psychological experience. An Eldar who has lost all his family members fighting Orks might fall into a gulf of despair and be directed towards the Dark Reapers, or one that witnesses the desecration of a Maiden World will be filled with anger and stumble into the Striking Scorpions Aspect shrine. The Path is designed to control and direct an Eldar's emotional development without him becoming a madman.

If you favour Dire Avengers, it might be nice to tie in a blurb about your Craftworld needing to protect something - in the Path of the Eldar series, the mother of one of the central characters was consumed with the need to protect her only child (lost her sire) that she found herself drawn to the Dire Avengers shrine in order for some kind of emotional stability and feeling she could control and 'protect' her child. Sadly this resulted in her death in battle... but Eldar don't tend to pick their Aspects in a detached manner. They aren't jobs, they're the next steps on their emotional/intellectual/spiritual development.

Food for thought.

Dr.Clock
04-03-2016, 20:49
Rogue Star's point is a good one, but it's also important to remember that not all Shrines 'worship' the aspect of Khaine in the same way. Each Exarch is an individual, and teaches in a specific way... so that it's entirely possible (likely, even) to have numerous Shrines of a given Aspect on any Craftworld.

Having a strong ethos of 'protectionism' against Chaos encroachments fits perfectly with your desire for an aspect-heavy force, and in particular with the 'Dire Avenger' image of the stalwart and noble warrior.

There are also some 'natural groupings' among the Aspects... I've always thought that Scorpions and Spiders go together, and Banshees and Reapers are sort of 'death obsessed'. I think of Avengers, Hawks and Spears as being roughly grouped together around the old Myth Cycles of Asuryan. Dragons are sort of on their own in my estimation...

Anyway, it's this kind of perception that makes me personally steer clear of taking Hawks and Spiders together, for instance - I just don't feel that their 'themes' work well together. As an Ulthwe player, I tend toward the 'darker' aspects... and Scorpions are my absolute favorite thing about 40k.

Anyhow - you can do some pretty great stuff with the codex sticking to just the Aspect Host formation, and potentially an Avenger Shrine to cut some of the costs associated with taking exarchs in every unit. Alternatively, a CAD with a pair of DA units in Serpents and then an Aspect Host to supplement could be ideal in that the DA and their serpents end up with ObSec, which can be critical... and it'll let you take the HQs you want.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

daveNYC
08-03-2016, 23:29
I'd suggest coming up with a backstory for your backstory. So you've got a smallish craftworld run by a (hereditary? elected? little of both?) monarchy, that has a very aspect warrior oriented military? Awesome. Now come up with the reasoning as to why this is the case. Are they one of the original craftworlds? Could they be a craftworld that was formed after the fall? Not that I think post-fall craftworlds are canon, but whatever, you could have a political schism and then have them take over a craftworld that had died, or just use their mad engineering skills to break off a chunk of their original craftworld, go nuts.

Basically if you come up with a consistent story that explains how they got to where they are, that should make it easier to come up with additional ideas for where they're going and how they do business. For example: Say they are a political faction from Ulthwé that got sick of being so close to the EoT, and were fed up with the Farseers always telling them what to do and winning at craps. So they grabbed half the fleet, hopped into the webway and popped out by a craftworld that had been tromped by Orks/Tyranids/whoever. You then have a bunch of dudes who aren't that psychic, have a small population, a big fleet, zero interest in wraith units (the souls in the infinity circuit won't respond since they're not 'family' as it were), and their strange political structure is due to the original organization of families that led the original move to their new home.

Something something.