PDA

View Full Version : Why do most Guard look like Cadians?

Smooth Boy
01-03-2016, 18:03
I know Imperial Guard can look like anything from knights in space to something from Star Trek but there is a tendency to use the Cadian models as a 'default'. I was just wondering if there was an in-universe explanation for this. Are they all supposed to be Cadians or is their armour widely produced or something?

Cheers

Lord Damocles
01-03-2016, 18:21
I was just wondering if there was an in-universe explanation for this.
Yes.
(http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?304909-Use-of-Cadian-equipment-across-the-Imperium&p=5537479&viewfull=1#post5537479)

letters

Smooth Boy
01-03-2016, 18:24
Ugh... Cadians sound like the Ultramarines of the Imperial Guard. What did Ward say? "Every space marine wishes to be an Ultramarine". Thanks nonetheless.

Fangschrecken
01-03-2016, 18:33
Just as a comparison, basically all space marines wear the same armor. Not because they want to look like Ultras but because that is the STC pattern of armor currently in mass production across the galaxy. A guard regiment may wear the same equipment but not be trying to emulate Cadia.

Just because most nations use American style helmets doesn't mean they want to be American. Only that it's a good design.

TheSaylesMan
03-03-2016, 04:10
The fluff that legitimizes why Cadians are the 'base' Imper-, I mean Astra Millitarum has been posted above. I just wanted to note that I feel like that feels entirely like meddling to me. An invented reason to legitimize the reasons behind why they no longer supply the many different kits that the Guard used to support. I remember the days where there were kits for Mordians, Valhallans and Tallarns. There were probably more than that even. It makes sense from a business point of view though. I'm sure it was akin to supporting multiple armies worth of models for a single army selection. I just wish that they could have picked a better designed regiment to be the poster boys. Cadians are so bland. I get that the Guard are supposed to represent an everyman pushed into the hyper-violence of war in far future but that doesn't mean they have to be so safe looking!

Let's just say that I very much appreciated Forge World's Kriegers and GW's introduction of the Vostroyans. Kriegers are simultaneously archaic looking, classy and faceless which is great. Vostroyans are full of the pomp and bombast that I expect from 40k as well as the peculiar blend of old world and dystopic science-fiction future. The new Tempestus Scions are also pretty neat. Not that different from Cadians but its amazing what a faceplate and some gilding on the armor can do. So many good choice to pick from and GW still goes with the Cadians. Even worse, they still drag along the horrible Catachans. The American soldiers in Vietnam look really sticks out like a sore thumb. Not only do they lack any kind of imagination, they are designed to more emulate guys like John Rambo or the team from Predator than any real soldier. They are right in that middle ground where they aren't old enough looking to be a 40k style anachronism and old enough to be terribly out of style.

The Black Shield
03-03-2016, 05:43
You can still get the Mordians, Tallarn, Vostroyans, and the Steel Legion. They are so called Web Store Exclusives and are still made of metal. https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40-000?N=102296+4294966502+4294966986&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440130a-flat

Lord Damocles
03-03-2016, 07:48
Additionally, when the background was originally published, you could also still get the metal Cadian and Catachan lines, and I think even some Praetorians (plus the Valhallans and old Storm Troopers) .

It probably is intended to explain why (plastic) Cadians make up the core of the Guard range, but assuming that it's some kind of cover to justify the dropping of the other ranges seems like reaching for the worst possible conclusion.

Kakapo42
03-03-2016, 11:47
The fluff that legitimizes why Cadians are the 'base' Imper-, I mean Astra Millitarum has been posted above. I just wanted to note that I feel like that feels entirely like meddling to me. An invented reason to legitimize the reasons behind why they no longer supply the many different kits that the Guard used to support. I remember the days where there were kits for Mordians, Valhallans and Tallarns. There were probably more than that even. It makes sense from a business point of view though. I'm sure it was akin to supporting multiple armies worth of models for a single army selection. I just wish that they could have picked a better designed regiment to be the poster boys. Cadians are so bland. I get that the Guard are supposed to represent an everyman pushed into the hyper-violence of war in far future but that doesn't mean they have to be so safe looking!

Let's just say that I very much appreciated Forge World's Kriegers and GW's introduction of the Vostroyans. Kriegers are simultaneously archaic looking, classy and faceless which is great. Vostroyans are full of the pomp and bombast that I expect from 40k as well as the peculiar blend of old world and dystopic science-fiction future. The new Tempestus Scions are also pretty neat. Not that different from Cadians but its amazing what a faceplate and some gilding on the armor can do. So many good choice to pick from and GW still goes with the Cadians. Even worse, they still drag along the horrible Catachans. The American soldiers in Vietnam look really sticks out like a sore thumb. Not only do they lack any kind of imagination, they are designed to more emulate guys like John Rambo or the team from Predator than any real soldier. They are right in that middle ground where they aren't old enough looking to be a 40k style anachronism and old enough to be terribly out of style.

Funnily enough, the Cadian models looking so bland and safe looking is exactly the reason why they make such a fantastic poster by Imperial Guard regiment - it's easily one of the range's biggest strengths. Because they're so plain they provide a blank slate that allows you, as a hobbyist, to project whatever theme or visual you want on them, either by painting or through conversion work. At the same time, being generic sci-fi human soldiers allows them to act as a common point of reference for people who are brand new to 40k but are familiar with other science fiction.

Even then though, the Cadian range still has some real gems - the Kasrkin are phenominal models, and light-years ahead of GW's more recent offerings (Incidentally, I'm not that fond of the Tempestus Scions precisely because of the gilded armour. It's fine for, say, Age of Apostasy era Frateris Templar, and in fact I've toyed with the idea of using Tempestus Scion models for that very purpose, but I like my Stormtroopers to be just a touch less, well, medieval looking. The 3rd edition metal Stormtrooper models were perfect in my eyes, all that was needed for them were a few more model variants wearing gasmasks).

I also seem to be one of the few people who actually like the Catachans, and totally dig the Rambo Hollywood Vietnam War theme they've got going for them. Given that 40k's setting is in large part built on references to sci-fi and pop-culture, I don't see why there can't be room for John Rambo or Dutch's squad in the 41st millennium.

But I digress. As has been stated, the main reason why most Imperial Guard units look like Cadians is because Cadian equipment is generally regarded as economical, adequately effective and reliable, so it gets made in very large quantities and exported all over the Imperium to outfit other Imperial Guard regiments. Even then however there are plenty of other Imperial Guard regiments who don't use Cadian style equipment.

Bloodknight
03-03-2016, 14:22
Just because most nations use American style helmets doesn't mean they want to be American. Only that it's a good design.
Fun fact, the current American helmet is based on the German M1935, and yes, it's a good design nowadays. In the Cold War and a bit after that, the German army used the American bucket-style helmet, although as it was rejected as a bad design by the German army (having had to wear one of them in the service I can attest to that, although we had a slightly better fitting and less uncomfortable interior than the US, it was still a crappy helmet that sucked when shooting from a prone position, tended to slip into the visual field when going prone and caused issues with sound location through reverberation; it was also not as good at actually protecting the soldier than the old Wehrmacht helmet; good thing we finally got the M1935-style aramide helmet later once the US decided that it was better), but it was pushed through solely for political reasons (the Fritz helmet is a great design from a technical point of view, but Germans weren't supposed to look like Wehrmacht, so nobody asked the soldiers what they wanted or needed).

I also seem to be one of the few people who actually like the Catachans, and totally dig the Rambo Hollywood Vietnam War theme they've got going for them. Given that 40k's setting is in large part built on references to sci-fi and pop-culture, I don't see why there can't be room for John Rambo or Dutch's squad in the 41st millennium.

Count me in. I liked the 2nd edition metals better than the plastic models, though.

Keep
03-03-2016, 19:00
To me this "almost everyone looks like cadia because they are good" makes no sense. We have seen dozends of different weapon and kit designs in alot of publications. and not just the stuff we see from the known army types like Steel legion and so on, also stuff we haven't seen as models yet. There is far more variation then with Space marine kits. For a gigantic empire where you have to outfit billions of soldiers, one design does not fit the bill in every case. Why would a planet on the other side of the galaxy receive Cadian equipment?
Also, just look at the many patterns of lasguns. Almost every forgeworld has their own variation. In addition to that some factory planets (not forgeworlds) also have their own patterns (e.g. necromunda).
To me this official explanation is unlogical and garbage and clearly only exists because of marketing decisions. It doesnt exist in my headcanon.

Also Kasrkin and old Stormtroopers >>>>>>>>>>>> Scions. Imo the designquality in many factions and also in WHFB have suffered alot over the time. What use is miniature model quality if the design isn't any good?
It doesnt help that GW is trying to "tech" up IG appearance now (new LR turret, hydra and it's ugly bastardised mortar version), away from it's crude WW1 & WW2 - inspired roots in case of the vehicles.

Lord Damocles
03-03-2016, 20:41
To me this "almost everyone looks like cadia because they are good" makes no sense..
It's just as well that that isn't what the background actually says then.

Go back and read the quoted passages again - it's not 'almost everyone'; it's 'many'. Many do, many [more] don't.

TheSaylesMan
04-03-2016, 02:06
It probably is intended to explain why (plastic) Cadians make up the core of the Guard range, but assuming that it's some kind of cover to justify the dropping of the other ranges seems like reaching for the worst possible conclusion.

Worst possible conclusion? Perhaps I was being dramatic in my post. I should have emphasized more that it really was the smart play on GW's part. Good acumen. Its not feasible to support such a huge model range. You want all the models that correspond to a particular rule book to be potentially purchased by their player base. Mordians didn't have reason to by Tallarn and so on and so forth. It is regrettable from a hobbyist perspective but it would have been a perfectly reasonable choice to make to create standardized models and justify them in the fluff.

And bleh to the Catachan love here. As somebody who watched those Rambo movies in succession after the fact, I can't believe that anybody enjoys them at all after they changed the name from First Blood. The first movie was an action movie but it was poignant! It meant things! That second one was an abomination. Perhaps I just didn't live through the political climate at the time. Who thought it was a good idea to take a movie about how the trauma of war damages people and use it to glorify war!? That's another reason I hate Catachans. 40k likes to describe warfare as being horrible and the whole universe revolves around pointless, futile warfare. When you get into the details though, there's way too many books just about how battle play out. Way too much artwork depicting glorious combat and heroism. 40k can't help but glorify combat. Poor David Morrel, this is your legacy. Now excuse my pretentious preaching!

I get the feeling I'm the only one who likes the Vostroyan Firstborn.

The Black Shield
04-03-2016, 02:36
What's wrong with Vostroyans?

Kakapo42
04-03-2016, 02:57
Vostroyans are awesome! I don't think anyone is arguing that they aren't. I've quite liked them ever since seeing their big debut in White Dwarf. I'm fond of all the Imperial Guard model ranges, and think that they all have their place and should be represented in 40k (yes, even the Attilans), just that Cadians work as a good baseline.

And bleh to the Catachan love here. As somebody who watched those Rambo movies in succession after the fact, I can't believe that anybody enjoys them at all after they changed the name from First Blood. The first movie was an action movie but it was poignant! It meant things! That second one was an abomination. Perhaps I just didn't live through the political climate at the time. Who thought it was a good idea to take a movie about how the trauma of war damages people and use it to glorify war!? That's another reason I hate Catachans. 40k likes to describe warfare as being horrible and the whole universe revolves around pointless, futile warfare. When you get into the details though, there's way too many books just about how battle play out. Way too much artwork depicting glorious combat and heroism. 40k can't help but glorify combat. Poor David Morrel, this is your legacy. Now excuse my pretentious preaching!

I get the feeling that a lot of people who enjoy the Rambo films probably don't think about them as critically as you do. ;)

I'm also not sure that glorifying conflict is something endemic to the Catachans. Just about all of the Imperial Guard regiments can be glorified, whether it's the valiant World War-esque Cadians liberating a planet or dashing Tallarn heroes thwarting some menace with skill and cunning.

The Black Shield
04-03-2016, 03:16
Sorry, I was joking(maybe I should have prefaced that.).

Tarrell
04-03-2016, 04:29
You need to read more Gaunts Ghosts, and their interactions with other regiments, now these some inspiration!

Matthueycamo
04-03-2016, 04:38
Worst possible conclusion? Perhaps I was being dramatic in my post. I should have emphasized more that it really was the smart play on GW's part. Good acumen. Its not feasible to support such a huge model range. You want all the models that correspond to a particular rule book to be potentially purchased by their player base. Mordians didn't have reason to by Tallarn and so on and so forth. It is regrettable from a hobbyist perspective but it would have been a perfectly reasonable choice to make to create standardized models and justify them in the fluff.

Well yeah that is human nature. We know the fight seems futile but the people who the models represent and the IC fluff is from the point of view of getting people to to what the powers that be want them to. Glorifying war or the soldier is one thrust of that, something prevelent through human history. Even today we know how terrible war is yet here we all are playing with our minitures and video games and where a majority of people just can't help but feel a bit of pride or wonder or appreciation towards the people in uniorm they see.

So yes the 40k galaxy is portrayed that way to us looking in but that is not how it will be portrayed to our little guys slogging it out on the TT. That it looks like the place is for hell? No they are fed on past deeds and glory of their planets and regiments from their planets and all things wonderful in the future that are worth fighting for.

It is not odd or inconsistent or anything else if you stop and actually think about it. It is exactly how it would be.

Bloodknight
04-03-2016, 07:14
Poor David Morrel, this is your legacy
Spoiler alert:
Yeah, the Rambo films irked me a bit as well because if you follow the novel, there couldn't be a Rambo II, since Rambo gets killed, hiding wounded in a dog shed (the symbolism...), by Col. Trautman so he doesn't have to go to prison.

agurus1
04-03-2016, 09:53
Planning on making a baseline human army by converting napoleonics. If you read the fluff (Gaunts Ghosts is great if you want to see the awesome variety the guard has to offer) there are tons of examples of non-Cadian style guard. Wasn't there even a book dropped a couple years ago with some civil-war type uniformed guard (kepi hats and the like) vs tau?

Rogue Star
04-03-2016, 11:35

Honestly always felt they should be the 'baseline' representation of the Imperial Guard... the Cadian Shock Troopers just look too modern for me. Some like that (Kakapo42) but it feels out of place when contrasted to the Space Marines, Adepta Sororitas and Mechanicus/Skitarii.

agurus1
04-03-2016, 20:03
Vostroyans are awesome, but too specialized to be a baseline for the Guard. I thing a greatcoat regiment would be a better baseline. Greatcoats, armored torsos and shoulders and helmets. Something more generically along the lines of WWII era. Like that generic regiment shown fighting alongside the Catachan vs tyranids in the imperial guard codex:

Also some more generic photos:

And couldn't help myself some more anachronistic ones:

Matthueycamo
04-03-2016, 23:52
I like the Cadians, but then I can't think of a Guard regiment I don't at least like. They all have their place in the universe to me.

Okuto
06-03-2016, 14:12
What's wrong with Vostroyans?

They're pricey......money-wise

My humble Vostroyan "Vet" squad is one of my prized possessions as such :)

Saunders
06-03-2016, 18:01
In-universe Cadia is arguably the single most prolific and well-disciplined (on a whole) recruiting worlds that the Imperium has access to, due in large part to its strategic location as a bulwark against the Eye of Terror.

Is it any great wonder that their gear template would also be widespread? I mean, it's one thing to dislike them because they're 'common,' but the reasoning for Cadia guardsmen to be the gear template for many other worlds seems entirely justifiable, in the same way that it made sense for GW to shift focus from catachan plastics to Cadian plastics when the range opened up in the EoT campaign.

Keep
07-03-2016, 02:44
n-universe Cadia is arguably the single most prolific and well-disciplined (on a whole) recruiting worlds that the Imperium has access to, due in large part to its strategic location as a bulwark against the Eye of Terror.
There are other worlds just as disciplined, like Mordia or Krieg. Cadia is one world out of many millions/billions, THAT's why it is hardly justifiable. I can see the argument with systems near the gate of Cadia that they would copy them, as they could be directly supplied by them. But not for planets across the entire galaxy.

Fangschrecken
07-03-2016, 20:34
One would also think that because of their proximity to the EoT Cadians are better trained and drilled. With more experience in combat. So when the EoT is quiet they're going to send Cadian regiments off to fight across the galaxy where they're going to pass on their traditions to regiments who fight alongside them.

Cadia is a hive world and would produce a lot of regiments that are sent across the galaxy. As I recall, after extended campaigning regiments can be settled on other planets in the Imperium. If Cadians are better troops one would think they their regiments would survive more often than others and in turn settle more imperial worlds.

TheSaylesMan
07-03-2016, 21:25
One would also think that because of their proximity to the EoT Cadians are better trained and drilled. With more experience in combat. So when the EoT is quiet they're going to send Cadian regiments off to fight across the galaxy where they're going to pass on their traditions to regiments who fight alongside them.

Cadia is a hive world and would produce a lot of regiments that are sent across the galaxy. As I recall, after extended campaigning regiments can be settled on other planets in the Imperium. If Cadians are better troops one would think they their regiments would survive more often than others and in turn settle more imperial worlds.

I have always had a problem with that. Cadians are elite and highly disciplined troops. Sure, fine. That's cool. But they literally spend their entire lives bathing in the light coming from a wound in reality. They are right there. The Pylons may be sucking up all that harmful, uh, radiation for lack of a better term but the Imperium doesn't really know that! They don't understand how the pylons work. For all anybody knows, they could be ready to sprout tentacles at any moment. For a government that purges their own soldiery for simply knowing that Chaos is a thing for fear that leads to corruption, they are awfully liberal about trusting people who are constantly under the moral threat of Chaos and thus the most likely to suffer corruption. And regiments mix and talk to each other. Sending out the Cadians to every far corner of the galaxy sure does hurt their ability to keep a lid on the secret that Chaos exists.

If I was an Imperial bureaucrat or preacher of rank I would be awfully nervous about having Cadians around. Thousands of years of faithful service doesn't mean a damn thing. Remember the Imperial proverb, "Innocence Proves Nothing."

Theocracity
07-03-2016, 22:46
I have always had a problem with that. Cadians are elite and highly disciplined troops. Sure, fine. That's cool. But they literally spend their entire lives bathing in the light coming from a wound in reality. They are right there. The Pylons may be sucking up all that harmful, uh, radiation for lack of a better term but the Imperium doesn't really know that! They don't understand how the pylons work. For all anybody knows, they could be ready to sprout tentacles at any moment. For a government that purges their own soldiery for simply knowing that Chaos is a thing for fear that leads to corruption, they are awfully liberal about trusting people who are constantly under the moral threat of Chaos and thus the most likely to suffer corruption. And regiments mix and talk to each other. Sending out the Cadians to every far corner of the galaxy sure does hurt their ability to keep a lid on the secret that Chaos exists.

If I was an Imperial bureaucrat or preacher of rank I would be awfully nervous about having Cadians around. Thousands of years of faithful service doesn't mean a damn thing. Remember the Imperial proverb, "Innocence Proves Nothing."

Of course. But service to the Emperor goes a long way, and the men and women of Cadia have served the Emperor faithfully for millennia with only baseline levels of corruption, despite the EoT hovering over them.

There's always cause for paranoia and phobias in the Imperium, but it's worth noting that they're willing to write blank checks to Inquisitors who are often just as corrupt as the heretics they're destroying. It's nothing if not a society of contradictions.

As for Cadian equipment, I think it's a bit of a chicken and egg discussion. Does the rest of the galaxy use mass-produced Cadian equipment because Cadians are the ones leading by example on the front lines? Or do Cadians use the most widely available mass-produced equipment because leading by example on the front lines requires vast amounts of material to replace the attrition?

Probably a bit of both. Contradictions and all :).

Saunders
08-03-2016, 05:51
There are other worlds just as disciplined, like Mordia or Krieg. Cadia is one world out of many millions/billions, THAT's why it is hardly justifiable. I can see the argument with systems near the gate of Cadia that they would copy them, as they could be directly supplied by them. But not for planets across the entire galaxy.

Except none of those worlds are as strategically important as Cadia, as I said. I don't see any reason to dispute that, and therein lies much of the reputation of the Cadian regiments.

To be honest, I don't have a horse in this race, so it's pretty easy for me to say that much of this angst towards the Cadian seems irrational.

For instance, you bring up the Death Korps of Kreig as an example to be held against the Cadian Guard, but neglected to mention that Kreig spent hundreds of years in revolt against the Imperium, which was only brought to an end in the last millenium. Hardly an example to be held up for the rest of the Imperium, and the Death Korps are near suicidal in their devotion to serve if only because they wish to try and repent for their dishonor. Conversely, the Mordian Guard are indeed a shining example of duty and discipline. However, the world of Mordian itself is not at all reflective of the regiments bearing it's name; it's a terrible place to live, and boasts a meager population (Mordian's population allegedly lies in the hundreds of millions; Cadia's? 850 million).

As I said, Cadia boasts a massive population of around 850,000,000. Over 75% of its populace is under arms, and every individual belongs to a branch of the Imperial military apparatus. It is reported that Cadia itself is heavily industrialized and possesses a large pool of skilled workers dedicated to producing military equipment, and is the largest exporter of arms and munitions in the region. It's difficult to fault someone for not liking the Cadian Guard and their equipment, but even cursory research (5 minutes spent on Lexicanum) shows that there's pretty clear justification in the lore for Cadian gear to be so prevalent.

IIRC that info on Cadia comes from the EoT codex back in 3rd edition, when the Cadian Shock Troops list was written up.

Bloodknight
08-03-2016, 06:50
(Mordian's population allegedly lies in the hundreds of millions

That seems awfully low, given that Mordian is a hive world, albeit a geograpically small one.
The 2nd edition IG codex says about Mordian: "Billions of people exist in a space barely one tenth of the Earth's surface". (might not be a 1:1 quote, I own that book in German). I guess that they're living in such cramped conditions is why the Iron Guard exist in the first place, lots of humans in a confined space tend to get angry and rebellious. Which is probably why the Iron Guard is so dour and disciplined, if nothing else than to be different from the rabble ;).
That said, I've always loved the Iron Guard, the Praetorians and the Vostroyans because they're how I see the Imperium. Guardsmen, for me, should be just as ostentatious as other forces of the Imperium.

Keep
09-03-2016, 12:06
Mordian's population allegedly lies in the hundreds of millions; Cadia's? 850 billion
Cadia has 250 or 850 million (depending on source), not billion. Strategic or not, it is only a single hive with a limited amount of soldiers. When there are who-knows-how-many gazillion worlds in the imperium their equipment hardly has a major impact on all of them. In 3rd edition IG codex it specifically says that there is no standard equipment, due to the vastness of the empire. Troops must be equipped to be combat ready, that's the only guideline stated there. And this makes sense. Also, there is a large collection of "troop types" (for a lack of better words). The "many are cadians" only happened when realworld business got involved.

I do not hate cadians, i have an army after all, but i do not agree with the premise that a large part of the IG is cadian looking.

flyingthruwater01
09-03-2016, 12:39
That seems awfully low, given that Mordian is a hive world, albeit a geograpically small one.
The 2nd edition IG codex says about Mordian: "Billions of people exist in a space barely one tenth of the Earth's surface". (might not be a 1:1 quote, I own that book in German). I guess that they're living in such cramped conditions is why the Iron Guard exist in the first place, lots of humans in a confined space tend to get angry and rebellious. Which is probably why the Iron Guard is so dour and disciplined, if nothing else than to be different from the rabble ;).
That said, I've always loved the Iron Guard, the Praetorians and the Vostroyans because they're how I see the Imperium. Guardsmen, for me, should be just as ostentatious as other forces of the Imperium.
Personally i agree that the Pratoreans, Mordians and such seem way more 'Imperial' to me than the more 'modern soldier' look. Hence why my Epic army is built with 6mm British Colonial infantry in their red jackets and pith helmets.

The plastic Cadians have always looked like Starship Troopers Mobile Infantry to me in any case.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Saunders
09-03-2016, 14:12
Cadia has 250 or 850 million (depending on source), not billion. Strategic or not, it is only a single hive with a limited amount of soldiers. When there are who-knows-how-many gazillion worlds in the imperium their equipment hardly has a major impact on all of them. In 3rd edition IG codex it specifically says that there is no standard equipment, due to the vastness of the empire. Troops must be equipped to be combat ready, that's the only guideline stated there. And this makes sense. Also, there is a large collection of "troop types" (for a lack of better words). The "many are cadians" only happened when realworld business got involved.

I do not hate cadians, i have an army after all, but i do not agree with the premise that a large part of the IG is cadian looking.

That's embarrassing, I can't read numbers. Fixed.

Azazyll
10-03-2016, 03:24
It's worth bringing up the imperium's almost pathological desire for conformity, one of the many ways it resembles stereotypical fascism or other totalitarian regimes. Every IG regiment uses the same template for vehicles, STC patterns are the basis of all technology. It's hardly surprising from both a psychological and technological perspective that in the 40k universe many worlds would have very similar equipment right down to individual kit.

That having been said, I too wish it hadn't been Cadia's kit. Bland and missized models. Plastic greatcoats FTW. Better yet, Solar Auxilia

Fangschrecken
10-03-2016, 18:34
Solar Auxilla definitely fit that sci-fi while still low tech look, and I'd love to see them in plastic someday.

bound for glory
19-03-2016, 20:34
Wrong. The current us helmet(MICH) and the one i wore in that s***hole known as Afghaistan, is nothing like the M35.

bound for glory
19-03-2016, 20:39
I always thought the idea of wearing dress uniforms in the field idiotic. Dress uniforms would be uncomfortable, and would quickly fall apart.

Bloodknight
19-03-2016, 20:45
The PASGT is, the shape is very similar because it's advantageous (there's a reason why one of its nicknames is the Fritz helmet). Of course it's not a 1:1 copy, because it can be made even better, since a laminated model is not limited to a manufacturing process with pressed steel :).

flyingthruwater01
19-03-2016, 20:45
Not neccesarily 'dress uniforms' in the modern sense, more like the Napoleonics or the Union in the US Civil War - in effect these are their battlefield fatigues

agurus1
20-03-2016, 01:07
Not neccesarily 'dress uniforms' in the modern sense, more like the Napoleonics or the Union in the US Civil War - in effect these are their battlefield fatigues

Going to be kit bashing some vitrix napoleonics to make Imperialis Militia for 30k, just needs grenades and maybe a cyber-eye ;)

flyingthruwater01
20-03-2016, 23:14
Yeah i bought a box of them when they first came out a couple of years ago. I was looking to make an infantry heavy guard army that wouldnt break the bank. They are lovely figures.

Unfortunately 40k didnt last much longer in my local gaming group so theyve never hit the table but I do have a 6mm Epic army built with Bacchus 6mm British Colonial infantry thats hardly ever off my gaming table

JPT
11-04-2016, 14:30
How sad is it that I remember when Imperial Guardsmen were all the same blokes in grey uniforms? They were kind of like Starship Troopers and Cadians are probably the closest thing we now have to that old kit (still have a couple of the old ones and they're not a million miles off). It is a shame that the choices in store are now so limited but multi-part plastic is at least versatile enough to do your own thing, something that could not be said for the old lead ones. Personally I always liked Valhallans and so recently made my own using High Elf bodies and Cadian bits and pieces.

iamcjb
12-04-2016, 07:37
Considering STC's are responsible for the Imperium's choices of technology, you would imagine Cadia probably selected fairly reliable, and effective equipment that was already battle tested. I would assume many new worlds with new regiments did the same. Therefore it's reasonable to assume that many worlds would have the same equipment because they picked the best available (like Cadia).

Bloodknight
13-04-2016, 06:09
Therefore it's reasonable to assume that many worlds would have the same equipment because they picked the best available

As a soldier there's usually one thing to remember. You're getting the equipment - and food - that the lowest bidder offered.

Keep
13-04-2016, 15:05
What do we make of the change in attire from metal cadians to the plastic cadians? retcon or in-universe change of gear? I like the prospect of the later...

As a soldier there's usually one thing to remember. You're getting the equipment - and food - that the lowest bidder offered.
yep... *cough* fridge-sized voxcasters.

Fangschrecken
15-04-2016, 18:37
vox casters that only work at a range of 12" Truly they must be hyper encrypted. Can't have the enemy intercepting your commander yelling "bring it down!" You'd lose the element of surprise.

Colonel Mayhem
21-04-2016, 08:51
The way vox casters work in the game reminds me of this:

Keep
27-04-2016, 12:58
reminds me of this:
Receiving commands from orbit: