PDA

View Full Version : wysiwyg can I get away with this at the UK GT?

Malchek
10-07-2006, 15:18
Hi everyone,

I've got a few wysiwyg dilemmas with my IG army that I want to take to this years UK GT - do you forsee any problems....?

- I have a junior officer with a sword painted as if a power weapon but it isn't

- I have a junior officer with a bolt pistol but its being used as a laspistol

- I have a stormtrooper model in my hardened veteran squad and two sniper models that are being used as ordinary veterans with lasguns....

- I have an armageddon pattern basalisk and two armageddone pattern sentinels - the models are enclosed but I'm using them as open topped

Before I get there and someone starts complaining!? Do you think this should all be ok or do you think I need to do some converting!?

All help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Malchek ;)

Kymar
10-07-2006, 15:23
Only problems I can see are the snipers because the might cause some confusion, as well as the storm trooper, they might think he has carapace armor.

Psionic
10-07-2006, 15:25
I would fix them, they are all minor things.

Oberon
10-07-2006, 15:30
Well, apart from those enclosed vehicles, practically everything there is minor(ok snipers are more). That power wpn thing should also be easily fixed, just mithril silver over it and done. Or give him his power weapon :D As a IG player you should have some spare laspistols lasguns to give your men correct weaponry. For a GT IMO you should try to make as WYSIWYG and nice army you can get, not to find that lowest level of WYSIWYG allowed. Hmm, that didn't work but anyway, you got the idea and don't get hurt :)

Inq. Veltane
10-07-2006, 15:37
The sentinels and basalisks can probably be ignored but all the other things are easily fixed. I mean, you need to buy three new models and do a weapon swap - as well as painting a blade silver... not exactly a lot of work...

Malchek
10-07-2006, 15:51
Thanks for the quick replies - of course the power weapon isn't a problem to fix - just a lick of paint - but then u havent seen the paint job!? It's beautiful so if i can get away without painting over it I'd rather not ;)

Veltane I aint bitching about how much work there is am I so watch it mate :wtf: You having a bad day or what!?

What I'm trying to do is ascertain what would and wouldn't be acceptable so I can then fix it.

So we think change the stormtrooper and snipers in the hardened vets squad = no problem

I'll change the junior officer's bolt pistol

And that should be ok....? I'd rather not paint over my lightening flashes on the ( non power) sword ;)

If push comes to shove I'll just replace the model - what do you think...............? ;)

Inq. Veltane
10-07-2006, 15:57
I didn't say you were bitching, I just said that it wasn't a lot of work and (thus implied) that you might as well play on the safe side and make the changes and avoid the potential for problems.

You could always just paint another Junior Officer, or find 5 points from somewhere. I'm not saying that I'd have a problem with it but if it obviously is a power sword then it isn't strictly WYSIWYG and somebody might complain...

Malchek
10-07-2006, 16:04
Sorry i misinterpretted your tone - maybe its me who's having the bad day

apologies ;)

Mortare
10-07-2006, 17:59
sword, fine
tanks, fine
bolt pistol, better to change
vet squad, change

wally
10-07-2006, 18:39
just put bluetack (that stuff you put posters up with) over the sword an dpaint that silver

x-esiv-4c
10-07-2006, 18:48
They are pretty minor but I'd watch out about those sniper rifles.

Gorbad Ironclaw
10-07-2006, 19:07
- I have a junior officer with a sword painted as if a power weapon but it isn't

Considering a sword or a power weapon can look like anything you want, I don't see that as an issue...

Gen_eV
10-07-2006, 20:34
Apart from these models, do you have any other Power Weapons, Sniper Rifles or Bolt Pistols in your army? If you do, I'd change them. If not, you've just got a pretty sword (with, erm, a 'structural integrity field' that stops it from being easily broken. Yeah, that sounds like it could work.), a manky Bolt Pistol (ammo supply issues mean it fires non-explosive bolts), and two rather fancy 'custom' lasguns. After all, a Sniper Rifle's just a big lasgun.

As for the vehicles, I'd get it fixed. They could cause confusion, someone could easily forget when they roll a 5 on the glancing hit table, and that wouldn't be quite fair.

If the Storm Trooper's an original plastic guy, I see no problems. If he has carapace armour, I'd personally let it go, but others may not be as accomodating (especially at the GT where some people are out for any advantage they can get)

Malchek
10-07-2006, 22:00
Thanks guys I'm kinda confused now because I've got varying advice.... ;)

I've decided to change my list so the power sword and bolt pistol are wysiwyg

I'll change my hardened vets as well so there can be no confusion ie replace the sniper and storm trooper models

The one thing I won't be doing is changing the sentinels or basalisk - I'll tell them and keep a close eye on it - they cost too much to not use!!!!

Thanks for all your help

Malchek ;)

Polare
11-07-2006, 03:09
Hello,

Similar question so I thought I'd stick it in this thread. I'm going to a RTT soon (first one for me) and am bringing my Striking Scorpion Exarch. SScorpions are normally armed with a shuriken pistol and chainsword. The Exarch rules say "may replace his chainsword with a Scorpion's Claw " (basically a power fist with a shuriken catapult integrated).

I've converted a Scorpion's Claw for my model and it came out looking pretty nice. He has a pistol holster on his belt, so no problem there. But his other arm is holding a sword for effect. Will this present me with any WYSIWYG problems? Ruleswise, he has only the Scorpion's Claw and the Shuriken Pistol. In CC, he will either use the Scorpion's Claw (+1A for 2 weapons, power fist, strike last) or his basic profile "using the pistol" (so basic S, +1A for 2 weapons, strike at I). This would be exactly the same as if he were using a CC weapon (which could be a sword).

And, having the catapult on the back of the Claw , he'd *never* actually USE a pistol... not that that matters :)

Let me know what you guys think. Is this an issue? I'd hate to rip off the sword as it's (a) metal and (b) looks better than a pistol would on the model.

Pic is attached for reference.

Thanks
-Polare

Insane Psychopath
11-07-2006, 11:23

Well if you do have Power Weapons in the list, it might cause a bit of confusion. But if there are none you should be ok

No it must be a Laspistol model. In the finials some try to get away with 2x Bolt pistol to be a Storm Bolter.

- I have a stormtrooper model in my hardened veteran squad and two sniper models that are being used as ordinary veterans with lasguns....

Storm Trooper should be fine, just have the paint or converted a little IF you have ST in the aculty list.

- I have an armageddon pattern basalisk and two armageddone pattern sentinels - the models are enclosed but I'm using them as open topped

They should be alright

Forgotmytea
11-07-2006, 12:02
Hi everyone,

I've got a few wysiwyg dilemmas with my IG army that I want to take to this years UK GT - do you forsee any problems....?

It should be ok, just as long as other power weapons are either nonexistant or look seriously different (so no confusion!). If not, then I'm with Gen_eV's "structural intergity field" :D.

It'd be easier converted into a laspistol, but again Gen_eV's idea of non-explosive aluminium casing rounds sounds good :).

If you have no other Stormtroopers, fine. If you have others, if this one looks different (e.g. Kasrkin/Stormtrooper), then that would be fine too. If you do have others looking exactly the same, I would recommend you change him. Ditto the snipers - they could cause some confusion....

No problem hopefully. Some people might be confused, but since the open-topped-ness gives them an advantage, tourney players are unlikely to forget that "that vehicle is easier to destroy!" :evilgrin:

Hello,

Similar question so I thought I'd stick it in this thread. I'm going to a RTT soon (first one for me) and am bringing my Striking Scorpion Exarch. SScorpions are normally armed with a shuriken pistol and chainsword. The Exarch rules say "may replace his chainsword with a Scorpion's Claw " (basically a power fist with a shuriken catapult integrated).

I've converted a Scorpion's Claw for my model and it came out looking pretty nice. He has a pistol holster on his belt, so no problem there. But his other arm is holding a sword for effect. Will this present me with any WYSIWYG problems? Ruleswise, he has only the Scorpion's Claw and the Shuriken Pistol. In CC, he will either use the Scorpion's Claw (+1A for 2 weapons, power fist, strike last) or his basic profile "using the pistol" (so basic S, +1A for 2 weapons, strike at I). This would be exactly the same as if he were using a CC weapon (which could be a sword).

And, having the catapult on the back of the Claw , he'd *never* actually USE a pistol... not that that matters

Let me know what you guys think. Is this an issue? I'd hate to rip off the sword as it's (a) metal and (b) looks better than a pistol would on the model.

Pic is attached for reference.

Thanks
-Polare
Personally, I'd have no problem. Many models have extra bits, like a Space Marine's combat knife or holstered pistol. One sword shouldn't cause too much panic. Nice model, by the way :)

-Forgotmytea

cookiescrumble
11-07-2006, 12:23

I would replace it with a chainsword, should be ok.

Change it, just use a plastic laspistol.

Again i would change them for lasguns.

No problem at all!

Cornelius
11-07-2006, 12:37

Repaint the sword or get yourself a new model to paint. This could get confusing, and it's sloppy not to avoid it.

Either give him a Bolt Pistol (they're usually worth their points), or replace the bugger.

Depends on what kind of ST... Anyway, the snipers have to go, as that's hardly WYSIWYG at all.

Well, if you want WYSIWYG, then I'm afraid you have to pay for these upgrades, or temporarily convert the models. It may sound anal, but in the heat of battle, especially in a tournament environment, I wouldn't want my opponent to have an opportunity for mischief.

Adept
11-07-2006, 12:41

Any one of those four things, in isolation, isn't a big deal to me. All four of them at once are a bit of an annoyance, and they speak to me of an opponent who simply couldn't be bothered with his army. Especially for a tourney the calibre of the GT, you should really take the time to make sure your army is as wysiwyg as possible.

maraxis
11-07-2006, 19:44
I would make the necessary changes or get new mini's

What you see is what you get does not equate to this bolt pistol is really a las pistol . . . This closed vehicle is really open . . . Just could lead to confusion and might not get you max scores from your opponents which is a large portion of your placement at GT's