PDA

View Full Version : Genestealers and Tau (or other Xenos)

Fangschrecken
02-03-2016, 18:03
All this genestealer cult stuff has got me wondering about if and how they operate with species other than humans. Are there genestealer cults infesting Tau or Eldar worlds? I would assume that Eldar would sense the psychic disturbance of the genestealers and stamp it out pretty quick, but what about the Tau? I would assume that the Tau Empire is very involved in it's subjects live and that if a couple doesn't bring their newborn in for checkups and such they're going to go find out why. So I figure it's more likely to be a problem in the independent minded farsight enclaves than anywhere else.

One would also assume that Chaos worlds are particularly susceptible to Genestealers. "Another mutant? into the factory with the rest of 'em..."

Lord Damocles
02-03-2016, 18:17
An Eldar genestealer hybrid features in the story Elucidium (What Price Victory? anthology).

It's heavily implied that Tau are infected by genestealers in For The Emperor.

memitchell747
02-03-2016, 19:14
The old fluff said Eldar were poor host species for Genestealers due to the Eldar's low birthrate. And, it would seem hard to hide a cult in a Craftworld since Eldar are so psychically sensitive. Pre-spore lore Orks were also poor hosts. They tend to react poorly to Orks that are markedly different.

From a more recent fluff viewpoint, the GSC only thrives if it can hide. And, the only reason it exists is to thrive. It's not like other mutants in that they are simply trying to survive. The mission of the GSC is to do more...expand and undermine. So, biology and social structure of the host species comes into play. Those are reasons a Space Marine Chapter would make a poor host species. And, Necons. And, subspecies with limited "planet-wide" presences like Ogryns and Ratlings.

Meleck
02-03-2016, 19:36
In "For the Emperor" by Sandy Mitchell, a group of Tau are infected by Tau Genestealers. The technique described in the book is that the infected fight against the genestealer but can only remember that they somehow got away after winning against the Genestealer. The genestealer have implanted an "egg" into the "winners" and let them go to infect other places. Ciaphas knows that the humans are infected and perform a summary cleansing by shooting them and extracting the "egg". He doesn't have time to do the same thing for the Tau Firewarriors as he sees them boarding a Tau ship (of type I forget).

Findlay
02-03-2016, 19:45
It wouldn't really work with the tau because they have no families like us with the closest being the bonding knife ritual and going into 'schools' very early meaning they would be in a system very early and would be noticed if they had differences.
It would probably work with the Dark Eldar even though it would take a long time for a child to be born it's be easy to hide because of all the messed up stuff that happens there, so there would be a lot of physic disruption and disturbances.

Matthueycamo
04-03-2016, 05:02
The old fluff said Eldar were poor host species for Genestealers due to the Eldar's low birthrate. And, it would seem hard to hide a cult in a Craftworld since Eldar are so psychically sensitive. Pre-spore lore Orks were also poor hosts. They tend to react poorly to Orks that are markedly different.

From a more recent fluff viewpoint, the GSC only thrives if it can hide. And, the only reason it exists is to thrive. It's not like other mutants in that they are simply trying to survive. The mission of the GSC is to do more...expand and undermine. So, biology and social structure of the host species comes into play. Those are reasons a Space Marine Chapter would make a poor host species. And, Necons. And, subspecies with limited "planet-wide" presences like Ogryns and Ratlings.

I don't think it would be even possible for Space Marines to succeed as a host.

Lord Damocles
04-03-2016, 11:33
In Space Hulk: The Novel, a Blood Angel Techmarine gets infected, and sort of spontaneously mutates. If I remember correctly, other characters postulate that the geneseed reacts badly with the Genestealer's genetic material.

R.D.
06-03-2016, 00:43
All this genestealer cult stuff has got me wondering about if and how they operate with species other than humans. Are there genestealer cults infesting Tau or Eldar worlds? I would assume that Eldar would sense the psychic disturbance of the genestealers and stamp it out pretty quick, but what about the Tau? I would assume that the Tau Empire is very involved in it's subjects live and that if a couple doesn't bring their newborn in for checkups and such they're going to go find out why. So I figure it's more likely to be a problem in the independent minded farsight enclaves than anywhere else.

One would also assume that Chaos worlds are particularly susceptible to Genestealers. "Another mutant? into the factory with the rest of 'em..."

Tau genestealer cults wouldn't really work. The Tau don't really have a choice in who they're mated with, which their system basically being eugenically controlled, they're all chipped from birth, and individuals going around with extreme deformities are gonna be sent to a medical center--or secret lab--pretty quick. Likewise, Eldar are immediately going to sense something very wrong psionically.

You could conceivably see them work with Orks, who are just going to see boyz wiv some extra gribblies, which isn't as big a deal long as they're fun to fight. ;)

Lycannus
06-03-2016, 11:03
As I recall, there was once rules and background for ork hybrids, the pros would treat them as a type of oddboy and keep them in special pens before herding them towards the enemy. They remained relatively orky despite the extra arms and claws, but would sometimes stare off up at the stars and cock their heads as if listening to a far away voice.

I also seem to recall kroot try to avoid genestealers at all costs, because even eating them can lead to disaster.

Meleck
07-03-2016, 13:38
As per the Ciaphas cain novel, the Kroot think that any infected tastes funny or bad so they will avoid them. They won't eat infected flesh. They won't even taste a Tyranid organism.

Lord Damocles
07-03-2016, 13:55
As per the Ciaphas cain novel, the Kroot think that any infected tastes funny or bad so they will avoid them. They won't eat infected flesh. They won't even taste a Tyranid organism.
Well, some Kroot won't. Machine Spirit (Xenos Hunters anthology) features Tyranid-Kroot.

MOMUS
08-03-2016, 07:50
Yea I think some kroot realise they can bite off more than they can chew in this big galaxy. There was a rather good short story where they learn the error of their ways while encountering slannesh worshippers, after that they burnt the bodies rather than eat them.

Charistoph
08-03-2016, 16:48
For the Kroot, it depends on if a knowledgable Shaper is with them or not. Sometimes, a Kroot is just too hungry.

And it has happened with both Daemons and Tyranids.

Azazyll
10-03-2016, 15:18
I could see Genestealers having more luck in the Farsight enclaves where the rules have broken down a bit and the ethereals aren't there to provide oversight

Fangschrecken
18-03-2016, 19:44
I guess all you'd have to do to make the current models tau hybrids is make them slightly blue and nose-less

Razios
19-03-2016, 15:42
Yea I think some kroot realise they can bite off more than they can chew in this big galaxy. There was a rather good short story where they learn the error of their ways while encountering slannesh worshippers, after that they burnt the bodies rather than eat them.

Pretty much that happen, the kroot ate some slaaneshshi bodies and they change side mid battle by influence of chaos, they decide afterward it wasnt a really good idea to that again.