PDA

View Full Version : Deathwatch Shoulder Pad Trim Question

giant stegadon
09-03-2016, 03:26
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some information (if any) on the trim on Deathwatch shoulder pads. I'm painting the new Deathwatch game, and in it the studio painted the trim on the right shoulder pad in black for one of the Ultramarines, the White Scar, & the Space Wolf. However, the Blood Angel, Dark Angel, and seemingly Blood Raven, have silver, green & possibly blue trim.

In the Deathwatch: Tyranid Invasion game Blood Angels & Ultramarines have silver trim, but I think everyone else has black.

In old artwork on Lexicanum, it seems that the right shoulder pad is shown to be unchanged from whatever chapter they are from.

Is there any explanation for this, or is there just artistic license being taken? Its more confusing since the studio has painted some with black trim and others not.

Inquisitor Engel
09-03-2016, 04:28
Traditionally, the right shoulder pad has always been the Chapter colour, but given a silver trim (with rare exceptions, like if the trim is Chapter and not company wide) the is done so as not to offend the machine spirit. When serving in the Deathwatch, the company is effectively "Deathwatch" so the trim gets painted silver.

I wouldn't worry too much about what the studio does. Do what you think looks best and right to you, as long as you're not spitting in the face of basic common sense.

Tick_Tock_Ostrich
01-04-2016, 03:22
The trim is covered so as to conceal company markings (as many are on the shoulder trim). It has been shown to be covered with various colours from artist to artist, but they are definitely not the original company colours.

But as Inquisitor Engel said, do what you think looks good. They are your miniatures.