PDA

View Full Version : Thunder's Edge

Lord Balor
15-06-2005, 11:04
Well i was moving quite a bit of furniture around today and reorganising the house when i noticed an old box in the shed. Being the curious creature i am, out came the stanley knife and i opened it, revealing a stash of old games. MOst of them were simple board games, but three stood out. The First was crossbows and catapults, a game where we blantently ignored the rules, instead firing at will until one player was utterly crushed. The Second Treasure i uncovered was Key to the Kingdom, a decent Fantasy Boardgame that a played to death in my childhood. The third and final game was by far the best of the lot. That game was Thunder's edge.

Pulling it out, i found all the pieces were there and in good nic, as well as the expansion. TE is a relatively simple hex wargame whose focus is equally split between political, militaristic and economical supremecy for up to 5 different players. Realising just how little i'd actually played Thunder's Edge and similar style games (I was always more of a talisman or tabletop sort of wargamer), i was wondering what are the best out there and how does TE compare?

Cheers

Lord Balor

P.s If your wondering, yes i did pull out crossbows and catapults and had a good old bash with one of my siblings. Great stuff ;)

RooieKazooie
20-06-2005, 06:11
Thunder's Edge is a spin-off from the Twilight Imperium series of games. I don't think it is thought of that highly as it isn't highly ranked or come up for discussion much at www.boardgamegeek.com the largest website for board games. The best sort of game like Thunder's Edge would probably be Twilight Imperium Third Edition from the same designer.

x-esiv-4c
20-06-2005, 14:48
Crossbows and catapults is a great game! Wish I still had my copy, i'd imagine it to be a great game to play drunk indeed!

Lord Balor
21-06-2005, 09:57
Well i just had a skim through TI 3rd Edition and it looks like quite a piece of work. I'll look into aquiring a copy to try it first. Quite a lot of history and a cult following should ensure its worth every cent.

@x-esiv-4c: Oh it is a fun game when intoxicated, just trying to balance the pieces before shooting them and cracking up if something falls over as a result...even when sober it still the exact same thing ;)