PDA

View Full Version : GW organized play

veterannoob
17-03-2016, 21:19
The link below is just for reference, I know I know, BoLS.:eyebrows:
just starting the thread in case this does pan out. If GW tried something like PP is doing that would be interesting indeed. At this pace I'm hopeful, ok, cautiously optimistic, by summer GW might bring back outriders or their equivalent of Press Gangers to give AoS the community leadership it could benefit from. Though not sure when that call would go out.

And now we play the waiting game... (Waiting for Simpsons quote):rolleyes:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/03/bombshell-games-workshop-returns-to-organized-play.html

Buddy Bear
18-03-2016, 04:29
Points for AOS? Is there any more proof needed that AOS is failing if GW is coming up with an ad hoc points system for it out of the blue?

I'm interested in the idea of an Organized Play, but it'd be preferable if it were for a game which I actually wanted to play, like Warhammer Fantasy, and not AOS.

Little Joe
18-03-2016, 06:18
I have no interest in AoS whatsoever. I simply don't understand/need the game. I need a game I can arrange ahead of time, life simply is busy. And there are many great games just like that, I moved on.

For Warhammer I looked at the 9th age and from what I see so far this is a very strong project. It instantly peeked my interest as it allows me to use my entire GW collection. I wont be alone in this.
And IF GW is doing anything like this fantasy side, then they come up against strong competition they themselves created. In fact they compete against their (former) customer base. Without communication or reconciliation I see no way they can win that fight, but that might be my biased view on the matter.

Mudkip
18-03-2016, 07:04
This is primarily good news for people who feared that 40k would be sigmar'ed. However, it does little to change things for AoS because it's such a all-round disaster of writing, models and rules. Bringing points back won't have us all hailing the floating isles of the Shimmertarn, nor will it make a game that's fundamentally about rolling 3's and 4's very interesting.

veterannoob
22-03-2016, 23:22
Points for AOS? Is there any more proof needed that AOS is failing if GW is coming up with an ad hoc points system for it out of the blue?

I'm interested in the idea of an Organized Play, but it'd be preferable if it were for a game which I actually wanted to play, like Warhammer Fantasy, and not AOS.
Yes, yes there is. ;)
And apparently the organized play thing took off too fast, too far. Of course, this is part of the rumor norm that we have, so that's understandable. No idea what will happen, beyond what we know so far, regrading events at WHW, in GW shops, and then if anything, FLGS. I still think very strongly that GW should return to Outriders 2.0 or a version like Press Gangers to more AoS , and other games as well, and with the quick changes its in the realm of possibility. Who knows... Fortunately other games liked Warhammer and AoS as well, have wonderful fan supported organized play all over the place. :cool:

Coldhatred
23-03-2016, 02:14
The manager at the GW store I frequent said that the organized play program that is coming will not be available in GW stores. GW treat their own stores like red-headed step children.

veterannoob
23-03-2016, 08:51
Well, I suppose first would be find out what is actually going to happen and then see. Maybe some form of Outrider is returning to help:) A one man store might be busy enough I some areas to need help running events and the store.

Sotek
28-03-2016, 21:38
How *do* you arrange a game of AoS ? If I rock up with my 6K+ of lizardmen (or Seraphim or whatever they are now) how does that balance vs little timmy with his 500 points of skaven?

Hishbishy
28-03-2016, 21:55
It doesn't.

Basically, you plunk down however much of that army you think is "fair." Nevermind the fact that this is what game designers are literally paid to do, the expectation is on you and Little Timmy to balance the game yourselves.

veterannoob
28-03-2016, 22:04
How *do* you arrange a game of AoS ? If I rock up with my 6K+ of lizardmen (or Seraphim or whatever they are now) how does that balance vs little timmy with his 500 points of skaven?If you don't know the opponent perhaps agree on a fan made comp like clash or Azyr or SCGT, pretty common now and easy. If you'd store has a Facebook group you can maybe figure it out there quickly. Otherwise just a quick conversation. Not the tedious nonsense you might hear from some drama queens, after all, you're not negotiating a car sale here;) but you might get the sense right away in deciding what to play if this opponent is not going to be fun or you want to play. Sucks, but it's a possible risk at this point. Just don't go in thinking its doomed before you begin:)