PDA

View Full Version : Raising the 4th Kanada

Sir_Lunchalot
10-07-2006, 19:05
Howdy

I've been fighting procrastination all my life, and I think keeping a log of my progress will help me complete my latest army in a reasonable time. I'll be keeping track of everything here, from games played, to the assembly and painting of the army, and eventually, if this is still around, the creation of a gaming table on which I will use said army.

first, I'll introduce you to the core of the 4th Kanada
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/4thKanadaJuly1006.jpg
In additoin to the above, I also own an armageddon pattern basilisk, which is currently unassembled, and awaiting the arrival of a missing part. I also have 2 flamer armed guardsmen and one lasgun armed guardsman as well as another laspistol/powerfist armed officer not shown here.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/VostroyanCS1_edited.jpg
This is my first abortive attempt at a color scheme. The only things I really like about this are the hat and the wood on the gun. fortunately, I've started my second test mini, pictured below.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/4Kanadacolortest.jpg
The red took a bit of work (4 coats of 3 colors of paint!) to get a smooth finish, but I personally like it. I've decided to go with black boots and pants, brownish cowhide gloves, the same grey-white hat, and a wooden gun stock. I have no idea how I'm going to paint the armor. Any suggestions guys? please?

Sir_Lunchalot
10-07-2006, 19:07
Next up is my prototype Kanada Ice Rider I like the fur, but I really don't like the saddle. Any tips on how to make a saddle for these guys?
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/IRfurfront.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/IRfurtop.jpg

Well that's all for now. If you have any suggestions for the metal armor let's hear them!:chrome:

Codsticker
11-07-2006, 05:42
I would try and find some pics of some saddles. There are lots of different types but I would either go for a Dressage style saddle or try to find some artwork of medieval saddles. The saddles on the GW horses aren't fancy and they are ok. One thing that they lack, for modeling purposes, is a pommel of some sort and a back, but since you are custom making yours that should actually be quite easy.

Edit: I actually found a pic of a saddle we sold a while ago. As you can see they can be pretty simple- the most pronounced feature is the back.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
11-07-2006, 05:48
Nice work, I look forward to seeing this army grow.

Sir_Lunchalot
12-07-2006, 00:06
After a trip to Games Workshop to stock up on brushes, and some purity seal, I finished the first test model. I think I've found the color scheme I want. pics below.
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/4Kanadatest2front_edited.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/4Kanadatest2back_edited.jpg

Wow, those don't look quite as good at 10x magnification... meh. By the time I'm done a squad or two I should have remembered how to paint. And don't worry about he fuzzy bits, I brushed those off the coat as soon as I saw the pic. All in all I think this model was a success, although I do think I painted the white dots on the eye lenses a wee bit too big. :chrome:

Brush your teeth
12-07-2006, 00:19
looking pretty good, id give the silver bits a black wash though just to show the detail a bit more (on the elbows and back mainly) and the snow needs dusting off in places (easially done with a dry brush (without paint, not the technique))

keep up the good work

Muffe
12-07-2006, 00:44
yeah as Brush your Teeth said. Would give it a black glaze and/or a purple one aswell. Would also maybe get some darker red tones in to the red parts of him. to get more of a shade on the red.:)

Orcdom
12-07-2006, 03:01
might try woodland scenics snow flock rather than GW's christmas toy display stuff, too sparkley, and you get a ton of it for 8.00 or so.

plus you can build it up in layers and look even better.

edit: also might resize that first picture down some

Steve

Sir_Lunchalot
12-07-2006, 21:40
OK, question for you guys, I've got my demolisher sprayed, and I want to get it painted for Operation Rolling Thunder on Saturday. I've been thinking about doing it like the studio army and painting the 'russ a totally different color (probably a shadow grey/codex grey mix) and trying to put on a couple red stripes on the front. I'm thinking that may make a bit more sense than having a giant bright red tank. Your thoughts?

noneedforaname
12-07-2006, 22:24
shouldn't the rough riders be on whatever the plural of moose is?:confused:

Sir_Lunchalot
12-07-2006, 22:27
If you can find me some moose models, I'll use them.

Mortare
12-07-2006, 23:05
The colour scheme looks quite good, though the colours do seem a little 'flat'. As mentioned, use a wash over the silver to take off the 'freshly stamped' look. Also, the bown for the gun looks good, but it is almost a bit hard to notice; make it contrast with the rest of the model a bit more. As for the base, why not a bit of the snow on his boots and/or the edge of his coat, as if it is settling on him or he has been trudging through it

Orcdom
13-07-2006, 03:07
yes i would make the tanks a grey color of some sort, start with black and lighten up till your happy with it.

Steve

Codsticker
13-07-2006, 04:37
OK, question for you guys, I've got my demolisher sprayed, and I want to get it painted for Operation Rolling Thunder on Saturday. I've been thinking about doing it like the studio army and painting the 'russ a totally different color (probably a shadow grey/codex grey mix) and trying to put on a couple red stripes on the front. I'm thinking that may make a bit more sense than having a giant bright red tank. Your thoughts?
I agree- Space Marines can have the bright red tanks. The guard have to be more sensible. :)
I think that square, urban camo scheme would be quite good (I can't remember what it's called).

Sir_Lunchalot
13-07-2006, 06:13
I didn't get much done today, just started painting a few guardsmen assembly line style. For some reason the blood red layer didn't seem to go on these as nicely as the test model. still pondering the tank.

Here's what I got done today:
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/4KanadaprogressJuly122006.jpg

I just realized I have no idea how to do the faces. For my last 2 armies i painted the faces bleached bone and gav ea wash of flesh wash ink. That was fine for those but I'm wanting to do these a bit better. Any suggestions guys?

noneedforaname
13-07-2006, 08:32
would have thought the new wood elf lords stag would have been a good starting point.

DirtJumper
13-07-2006, 17:48
It would be, and it's supposed to be released in not too long. BTW, the plural of "moose" is "moose", god bless the english language. ;)

charlie_c67
14-07-2006, 01:38
I dunno meeses has a ring to it ;)

The Purple Ninja
14-07-2006, 01:56
I found that a good way to do guardsman faces is to black undercoat, drybrush on Dwarf Flesh, then put a single large drop of thinned down* Brown Ink, then apply directly to the center of the face and nudge the ink around until it settles around the eyes well and highlights the nose, mouth, and any other available features. Then do a very very light drybrush of Dwarf Flesh again over the ink wash once it's dry. You may have to repeat it a few times to get the best look, but this apraoch gives them suitably grungy, battle-weatherd skin without making them look like space marines who've undergone centuries of battle.

*=Dip the brush into the ink once, then into your rinsing water 3 times in different places, kinda making a mark of Nurgle. I've found this makes for the best consistency, without having to have a seperate pot to water down your ink.

Codsticker
14-07-2006, 04:03
BTW, the plural of "moose" is "moose", god bless the english language. ;)
It's actually Algonquin, 'Moz' (it means "twig eater").
:)

Sorry, back to your regular programming.

Sir_Lunchalot
15-07-2006, 05:11
Okay update!

Yesterday I got very little done. I got themetal done on a couple minis, and that's it. Today I went into my local GW to paint there. I did that because my painting table is in the dingle darkest spot in my house, and I can't move it. Anyways, I finished the 5 minis I'd started painting assembly line fasion (except for the basing and purity seal) and I also did the red on 5 more models. Somehow my the plasma gunne (with only red) escaped my camera. picture of my progress below.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/4KanadaJuly142006.jpg

On a side note, I played two games with my Infantry company, one 1000 poitn vs the GW manager's Tau, and a combat patrol against space marines. both games were victorious slaughters for me, putting me at an unprecedented 5 wins 0 losses for medusa V, and cityfight games.

And in case your asking, no I don't paint at this desk. Carpeted floor and a computer keyboard mean I can't risk spills. Not to mention the mess makes finding room a bit tricky. :chrome:

Sir_Lunchalot
20-07-2006, 06:10
Update!

Sorry for the lack of progress lately, no real excuse, I mean, other than having a completely whacked sleep schedule and Darkwatch. anyways, I finished the set of 5 I was working on, so here's the pics:

The 4th Kanada to date, July 19th, 2006
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/4KanadaJuly191.jpg

The one, The only, Colonel Ivan
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/ColonelIvan_edited.jpg

The single coolest model in the Vostroyan range, gimped by my painting, and my camera!
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/LasTrooper1_edited.jpg

And yes I know I painted the pants brown instead of black. It doesn't look bad, and in fact it's barely noticeable, so I'm not going to bother fixing it. It'll be one of those little things that makes the army unique.

That's all folks!:chrome:

Some guy (UK)
20-07-2006, 13:34
You've kept up a good progress so far, but I feel the red looks a little flat/bright, though this is possibly the pics.

Later, Some Guy

Sir_Lunchalot
20-07-2006, 21:35
The red is supposed to be bright. Like the Canadian flag. :chrome:

Sir_Lunchalot
30-07-2006, 01:54
Sorry about teh double post again, but the last one was over a week ago.

Update: I've started the red on thenext batch of 5, this one includes the space pope standard bearer. for some reason the final layer of blood red is simly not taking ot the models. I'm stumped and am not sure what to do. I'm thinking it might be the particular pot of blood red I have is old, but I'm not sure.

Also, on a more alarming note, my planned basing scheme seems to be failing me. the snow flock is not sticking. I know to use purity seal to keep it from falling off, but what do I do when the superglue doesn't stick in the first place? Anybody who suggests pinning will be flogged.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/Snowbase.jpg

See the problem? around the side of the guy's body could be attributed to me beign sloppy with the toothpick but around the edge of the base I'm absolutely certain I got that with superglue. What do you guys do?

Also, uploaded for coolness sake:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/Sir_Lunchalot/4KWideSquad.jpg

Enjoy.

Orcdom
31-07-2006, 03:35
paint the base first, and paint it whatever you plan to be under your snow, brown dirt or black charred ground. that wahy if and when the snow does wear off you see the ground, so that means you ought to base them as normal first then add the snow second.

PVA or Elmers works fine for holding snow flock, let it dry completely and add another layer to thicken up the sno and give a heavier snowfall look, then it is also less transparent.

then of course the best coating for any flock for a sealant is testors dullcoate.

Steve

ice
19-08-2006, 15:37
looking good man, as i've said before

Sojourner
19-08-2006, 15:39
It's not a moose, it's a Tauntaun!

Seriously. Cover the whole thing in fur and there you have it, Hoth Rebels on Tauntauns.

Sir_Lunchalot
19-08-2006, 20:22
Sojourner, that's a brilliant idea. Who doesn't like Tauntauns?

update: I'm almost done my next batch of 5. yeah I know, slow progress, I've been preoccupied, bu I have started painting the demolisher, and I've got the basilisk partly built, just waiting for the floor grate to arrive.

I got a small 4x4 table set up in my basement and I'm using some CoD terrain I got from a friend. The army works very nicely!

Leonathion
01-09-2006, 01:38
The painting is very nice, but I cant help to notice that it seems to involve very little highlighting or washing. The vostroyan armour is simply to good to not give away with deails. If I were you, id blackwash the red coats, then highlight them witch bloodred and blazing orange (very small stripes) to get that bright red look you want, but with details. I personaly like to brownwash my metal armour, but I think you might want to blackwash it, or, if you really like the icy look, try some regal blue paint mixed with a lot of water, that will make a nice iceblue, frosty shading (that still looks realistic). Joust my ideas, you do as you please with them of course ;)

Its a very nice idea this little diary, great for showing of and for people to get interested, and of course, to keep one self motivated... :)

I might do something similiar when the new eldar come out (or with all the eldar models I currently posses, that have to be painted before the release).

Btw, tauntauns rock!

Sir_Lunchalot
01-12-2006, 04:57
UPDATE!

After a long period of laziness, I've made progress with my Vostroyans! The armageddon pattern Basilisk is done, as well as General Rasputin! I experimented with gold and highlighting the red on him, and I must say I'm pleased with the results of both. Expect some rapid-fire updates soon, as I intend to go on a painting binge over the next few weeks.

Pictures will be taken this weekend.:chrome: