PDA

View Full Version : Looking for rare Astra Militarum vehicles - help needed

malika
30-03-2016, 21:03
Hi everybody,

I've been a bit on the look out for vehicles based on the Chimera hull. Lexicanum has an extensive list (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Astra_Militarum_Vehicles_(List)), but there's probably more out there.

40k Wikia (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Chimera) mentions variants such as the Chimerax, Chimedon, and Chimerro. I assume these were sort of 'semi' official? Where were these ever published?

What about the BL novels and FFG books, do they have any weird vehicles variants (preferably based on existing hulls such as the Rhino, Chimera, and Leman Russ)?

Gdolkin
30-03-2016, 22:22
The Chimerax, Chimedon and Chimerro had Epic models back in the day, that's all i got..

Lord Damocles
30-03-2016, 22:35
The Chimerax, Chimedon and Chimerro were official and had models. Ref: 'Chimera Assault Troop Carriers' in White Dwarf 185 (UK), pg.26.

I'd have to dig out the reference, but one White Dwarf (c.230) caption mentioned 'King Russ' battle tanks which appeared to be Russes with long-barrel Battlecannons.

Priests of Mars (as the Cadians embark aboard Speranza) makes mention of a Leman Russ Destroyer. The only information on it is that is has sponson Lascannons.

Necrontyr
30-03-2016, 22:48
I found this: http://www.solegends.com/citcat1995-6/cat19956p128-01.htm
There are three specific close variants of the Chimera; the Chimedon, Chimerax and Chimerro. The Chimedon replaces the gun turret weapon with a Battlecannon, while the Chimerax has four linked Autocannons in the turret. The Chimerro is a standard pattern Chimera with a Hunter-Killer Missile Launcher mounted on the turret in addition to the Multilaser.

Saunders
30-03-2016, 23:15
The two former variants sound like they became the Taurox and Taurox Prime, which are loaded with a twin-linked autocannon or a modified battle cannon.

MajorWesJanson
31-03-2016, 03:32
I'm blanking on the specifics, but one older WD had a few custom build vehicles, including a 4 wheeled IG vehicle. Would be more specific, but I don't want to dig through 100+ old WDs to find it tonight.

Lord Damocles
31-03-2016, 09:50
'King Russ' battle tanks
'Warhammer 40,000 Open Day' in White Dwarf 232 (UK), pg.53.

I'm blanking on the specifics, but one older WD had a few custom build vehicles, including a 4 wheeled IG vehicle. Would be more specific, but I don't want to dig through 100+ old WDs to find it tonight.
Are you thinking of Owen Rees' converted armoured cars for his Tahnelian Airborne regiment? ('Desert Kidnap' in White Dwarf 298, pg.73; Imperial Guard Collectors' Guide (2nd ed.), pg.75)

Night Bearer
31-03-2016, 20:41
I believe there was a WD with the variant Chimeras for 40k. I know for sure that Armorcast did their own 40k rules for these variants, for their 40k magazine 'Inquisitor', although I believe their models were scratch-built kits rather than Armorcast models.

The Black Shield
01-04-2016, 00:09
The Chimerax looks like it may have been replaced by the Hydra. They also look like they may just have the alternate armaments of the current Chimera.

Matthueycamo
01-04-2016, 01:11
God I loved that Tahnelian regiment. Was picking up and looking at the pictures for months afterwards.

totgeboren
01-04-2016, 10:09
The Chimedon, Chimerax and Chimerro were official models in Epic I think, but I know for a fact that they had rules in Citadel journal, issue 11 I think. Though I have to point out that the rules in the journal were not really 'official', they were more like 'fun stuff' for people who liked to convert stuff.

The issue is available on Scribd btw.

Lord Damocles
01-04-2016, 10:31
The Chimerax looks like it may have been replaced by the Hydra.
The Hydra existed at the same time as the Chimerax (and is even referenced in the description of the Chimerax in White Dwarf 185).

They're similar concepts, but neither has been replaced.

malika
04-04-2016, 10:47
Are there any other variants out there? Anything from the FFG books?

Lord Damocles
04-04-2016, 17:58
Priests of Mars also features the Iron Fist - an open topped Rhino variant mounting quad heavy bolters, developed from an STC fragment recovered from the forge world of Porphetus before it was eaten by Tyranids.

chromedog
11-04-2016, 11:15
I believe there was a WD with the variant Chimeras for 40k. I know for sure that Armorcast did their own 40k rules for these variants, for their 40k magazine 'Inquisitor', although I believe their models were scratch-built kits rather than Armorcast models.

Yup, I've got issues of that magazine, still. Yeah, they were modified 2nd ed chimera kits using other period available bits. The chimedon used a leman russ turret and battlecannon (and an enlarged turret mounting ring to suit.). the chimerax used 4 cut down METAL autocannons from the old heavy weapon teams.
The Chimerro just had HK boxes grafed to a bog standard chimera.
The chimerax was essentially a 2nd ed period hydra, before even FW had a hydra design.

Lord Damocles
11-04-2016, 13:47
The chimerax was essentially a 2nd ed period hydra, before even FW had a hydra design.
As noted above, the basic Hydra design not only existed, but had an Epic scale model when the Chimerax was released.

chromedog
11-04-2016, 22:18
28mm scale hydra then.
Epic models can't really be used in 40k smartarse.

Keep
13-04-2016, 14:53
28mm scale hydra then.
Epic models can't really be used in 40k smartarse.
Those subvariants never had any official 28mm models either. A chimerax is not a stand-in for a hydra. Not in epic, not in 28mm. No matter how you want to twist it. Besides, there was no need for AA in 2nd edition.

malika
28-04-2016, 05:17
Found another variant called the 'Chimera Samaritan on Lexicanum (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Chimera#Named_Vehicle_Variants):

Samaritan - A variant of the Chimera that forgoes all offensive weaponry in favor of medical and communications equipment. Used in the role of a battlefield ambulance, the Samaritan is crewed by Medical Company orderlies who venture across the battlefield to collect wounded, providing minor treatments and ferrying them to nearby Orders Hospitaller field hospitals.

I know the tank is also mentioned in Imperial Armour III (the Taros campaign), but there's no mention there of this tank having no offensive weaponry at all. Does anybody have more info (source please) regarding this tank?

Lord Damocles
28-04-2016, 09:58
Heh. Lexicanum's reference is wrong.
Also worth noting that the 40K Wiki's Samaritan article appears to be largely pulled out of thin air, judging by the fact that it references the same single source.

The silhouettes of the Samaritans from Imperial Armour Vol. III appear to be the same as those of the Chimeras and Trojans (but with the turret/crane chopped off) - and both of those [can] have hull weapons.

malika
28-04-2016, 14:47
Thanks a lot for clearing this up!

By the way, is there also more info on the Chimera Defender out there? All I know that it was used during the Armageddon conflict and carried a Laser Destroyer. I wonder if that meant that the vehicle lost its transport capabilities.

Lord Damocles
28-04-2016, 21:00
40K Wiki's references are next to useless. Googling it led to this page (http://z11.invisionfree.com/Work_In_Progress/ar/t8249.htm), from which I rummaged about a bit and eventually found the relevant passage:

'During the invasion of Armageddon, the many Chimeras produced in the Hive-factories were also put to a new use. The basic Chimera chassis was converted to create a tank to bolster the planetary defence force against the overwhelming Ork threat.Called the APDS-6a 'Defender', it mounted a laser destroyer in a Chimera hull and was a stop gap measure which proved effective.'
Imperial Armour Vol. I - Imperial Guard & Imperial Navy (1st ed.), pg.12

I assume that's all there is on the Defender.
Presumably APDS-6a stands for Armageddon Planetary Defence Something.

Keep
28-04-2016, 22:12
basically a ww2 sturmgeschütz ...

40K Wiki's references are next to useless
it's atrociously bad. Lexicanum is way better in that regard.