PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Buy Next?

Monk813
31-03-2016, 18:00
Hey everyone. I have a bit of extra cash saved up for the hobby, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out what I should add next. That's where you guys come in. I can either get one big purchase, or a bunch of little ones.

I'm currently collecting Tau, a few different flavors of Guard, and a few flavors of Marines.
I'm currently planning for Ad Mech, Eldar Corsairs, Imperial Knights, a few different kit-bashed Xenos factions (using legal army lists), and potentially a Chaos Legion or two.

So help me out? What do I purchase now to work on over summer break? Do I add to a collection or start a new one?

AngryAngel
31-03-2016, 19:19
I voted baneblade, as they are amazing once they are all set up, very fluffy units and just a lovely center piece model that can be used with all your varied guard flavors.

LegioDestructor
31-03-2016, 20:24
Personally it's hard to say without knowing how large your current armies are. If your Tau, IG, and SM are substantial and already have centerpieces, then I would pass over them. Otherwise a big kit like the Stormsurge or Baneblade, or a Forgeworld purchase like the Sicaran or Leviathan Dreadnought would be perfect I think.

I am hesitant about voting AdMech - which I have myself started - because I dislike the small army (only 8 kits, no APCs) spread across two codex books. They feel like a small force like the Harlequins or GSC but are truly a massive military machine that deserves far better representation. Maybe they're working on that but who knows.

You included (another) B@C box as an option, would they be sprinkled throughout your existing Marines or would it be the start of your Chaos Legion? It will probably be my next big purchase and I am in a similar position; do I start Shattered Legions or give them to my Iron Warriors?

Regardless of faction, I would really suggest the newish starter boxes since they are good value.

Monk813
31-03-2016, 23:47
@AngryAngel Thanks for the input, and I am a huge fan of your sig.

@LegioDestructor Appreciate the reply, and solid argument against Ad Mech. The second BaC box would be the start of an Alpha Legion/Iron Warriors combined force.

As much as I love the kits, I'm trying to steer clear of Forge World because the shipping is terrifying.

For a little more information on what I currently have: I have about 2500 pts in Guard, 2000 pts in Tau, a kit-bashed DKoK and Elysian force I'm just getting off the ground, BaC box set worth of Salamanders, and about 1500 pts of Black Templars (primarilty infantry).

LegioDestructor
01-04-2016, 03:27
...Elysian force I'm just getting off the ground...
I see what you did there. Hah!

Although I am negative about it I wouldn't rule the AdMech out entirely. The models are awesome and are a newer army so have unique rules and technology. So if the two-codex, no flyer/etc. thing bothers you I would focus on other armies... but otherwise I would recommend checking them out. Their backstory is some of the most interesting IMHO and players have been waiting years and years for the AdMech to have 40k rules (many couldn't wait, and Tim H. obliged). You can ally them with your IG or Marines too if you feel the need for heavy armour, drop troops, or mechanized infantry.

Depending on how much is a 'bit of extra cash', I would say buy a Start Collecting! box - either Tau or AdMech - and the Betrayal at Calth box. Significant discounts and plenty of models to keep you busy. If you don't want to start AM and don't need more Crisis Suits I would consider a Riptide instead. Presumably B@C #2 would act as a sneaky destructive counter to the resolute Salamanders? Fantastic.

AngryAngel
01-04-2016, 08:06
Hey monk, thanks for the sig respect, appreciate it.

As well I agree with the poster right above me, the Ad mech is really cool. Honestly you don't have many bad options, and I agree I lament the lack of transport vehicles for ad mech, for people who love tech, they have so few vehicles, that concerns me. Their infantry models are amazing however, in look. I still stand by baneblade, they are the most awesome things, ever. Giant super tank, enough said, well after I say again, GIANT SUPER TANK.

superdupermatt
01-04-2016, 08:24
Save yourself buying plastic models, I'd highly recommend buying bulk vegetable produce. Onions would be the best buy.

Monk813
03-04-2016, 16:53
Hello, all! I want to thank everyone for their opinions, especially while I've been bogged down by classes and work the last few days.

@LegioDestructor I was hoping that Elysian pun wouldn't go over everybody's head. And that was exactly the plan for the two B@C boxes. Now I just need to figure out a way to assemble the models to make them work in 40k and 30k for the off chance I find a local group interested in 30k...

@AngryAngel Thanks for more solid feedback, and you certainly aren't wrong about the Baneblade (or any of its variants). That is an awesomely solid tank.

@superdupermatt Interesting opinion, and I certainly can respect how you've decided to go against popular opinion. But despite how tasty onions are on my burgers, I don't think a bulk shipment is the right choice for me. I'm afraid they might attract unwanted ogres to the area... Too many layers... Parfaits might have been a better option...

I'm not planning on making the order from my flgs for about another week, which is good because I still haven't completely made up my mind yet. Maybe I can convince more of you lovely folks to provide your opinion?

Dr.Zahnfleisch
03-04-2016, 20:25
I've made the experience in the past that it is better not to get too many things at once. This may vary from person to person, of course, but having a whole stack of boxes in front of you waiting to be assembled can become overwhelming.

As for the options provided, it really comes down to what you are most excited about. I usually slip into a state of obsession and start reading every bit of fluff pertaining to my current project, spending day and night painting and converting for a good week and then my obsession slowly declines. Don't you have any preference like that at the moment? That would be my first criterion, anyway.

Kaiserdean
04-04-2016, 16:40
I voted Knight. It will help out any of your Imperial forces and is a nice start to an Admech army. The knight is a big chunk of points, but my Knight usually more than makes up its value. Plus, Knights are fun to paint.

Beppo1234
04-04-2016, 18:02
don't know how your armies look... but if their in the state that a lot of large collections like this tend to be in, I say buy paint, a lot of paint.

Monk813
08-04-2016, 05:19
don't know how your armies look... but if their in the state that a lot of large collections like this tend to be in, I say buy paint, a lot of paint.

I... I have no argument for that.

I want to let everyone who has provided their opinion know that I really appreciate the feedback. And I'm really surprised that the Knight has pulled ahead. I really want a Knight Lancer, as they look amazing. But the Knight Crusader looks pretty cool too, and is actually in my price range.

Good news everybody! Not only did you read that in the voice of Professor Farnsworth, but my flgs is running a 20% off everything promotion to get people excited for Free Comic Book Day and National Board Game Day. I might be able to get a little bit more than I expected!

Zaonite
08-04-2016, 13:25
Baneblade for sure. Can be used with all Imperial armies and if you pay attention when building the kit, you can have it so that you can use any of the variant builds.