PDA

View Full Version : New GW carry case

O.G-Palmer
14-04-2016, 19:35
Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Looks like GW will be putting out a new carry case, tuff box? Supposedly water tight with a pressurised release valve thingy on it.

95 though, no idea on exact size or quality of said product.

Preview and testing will be over the weekend.

BFalcon
15-04-2016, 12:47
The way their prices have gone, it'd better have a wrist chain and dye packs too... :(

Inquisitor Engel
15-04-2016, 19:42
If it's on the same level of quality as photographer equipment boxes, because that's what it sounds like, that's a fairly reasonable price and in line with the products I buy for my company.

BFalcon
16-04-2016, 11:05
Yeah.. I should point out that my comment was more aimed at the contents of the case when you carry it, not the case itself.

I suspect they're a BIT expensive, if GW's resale markups are consistent, but probably not too extreme.

veterannoob
16-04-2016, 17:56
Charming video though on their website and YouTube channel. I'm glad GW is funny again in 2016. Facebook has been the winner.

in all fairness though I know some gamers who will buy this who travel for events. If they are paying that much for a flight and event and lodging and (new) army they won't skimp on the case that keeps all this from being damaged.

O.G-Palmer
16-04-2016, 18:16
Hmmmm, think I may of found the original producer of said cases.

Duratool known to anyone? Not the same size but the overall design and the handle seems to give it away.

http://www.adamswords.com/blog/low-cost-high-quality-diy-photography-laptop-case/

forthegloryofkazadekrund
16-04-2016, 19:22
Smaller version but not bad for under 20 (few small cosmetic changes but close enough look as @O.G-Palmer pointed out) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121884927685?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Zywus
16-04-2016, 22:20
I don't really see the point of a miniature case being water and air proof.

It's good for delicate camera equipment I suppose, but unnecessary for minis. It's a cool feature but ultimately a feature for the sake of having a feature. Not that much more expensive than a regular crusade case, so it might be worth it if you're really worried about cars running over your case or people attacking it with swords and clubs :p

forthegloryofkazadekrund
16-04-2016, 23:08
Someone on Dakka Dakka found it (Non GW labels) http://www.newark.com/duratool/22-24115/waterproof-case-pp-black/dp/76X0326?CMP=KNC-GUSA-GEN-SHOPPING-NEW-DURATOOL&ad=81605889141

Malagor
17-04-2016, 01:12
Wow that's quite amazing the difference in price.

O.G-Palmer
17-04-2016, 05:25
I knew it, had a dig in the armoury for some old scope cases. Exactly the same, just different sizes and so on.

That really is a huge jump in price for sure, they are not bad cases though. I use one with KR foam inside and its done fine for years.

Typical....

Losing Command
17-04-2016, 18:00
What is even more rediculus is that that case is $135 in the US and €135 in the EU. I don't know what currency-conversionrate GW follows, but last time I checked €135 has the same worth as $153.

ebbwar
18-04-2016, 11:24
What is even more rediculus is that that case is $135 in the US and €135 in the EU. I don't know what currency-conversionrate GW follows, but last time I checked €135 has the same worth as $153.

By that logic all the minis outside the EU should be a lot cheaper, but they are not. Now you know how the US and Down Under feel for virtually every damned release. Welcome to the club ;)

williamsond
21-04-2016, 09:34
wow only 30 pounds for the dura tool one in the UK quite a tempting idea for my next case purchase, i always liked the pluck foam cases and free next day delivery over 20 pounds as well

http://uk.farnell.com/duratool/22-24115/waterproof-case-pp-black/dp/2527516

BramGaunt
21-04-2016, 13:41
Why the heck would you need a pressure release valve on your miniature case?

Jedi152
21-04-2016, 13:50
For sealed cases it's to let air in so the case opens easily without creating a vacuum inside.

BramGaunt
21-04-2016, 13:53
But... correct me if I'm wrong... How do you even create a vacuum inside, without deliberatly creating a vacuum inside? Where do you take your miniature cases, to outer space? In passenger planes the cargo hold is heated and pressurized.

williamsond
21-04-2016, 14:54
its for when you travel by air, you open during flight to stop a air tight case getting stressed or warping. most high end transport cases have them its standard across most ranges.

Zywus
21-04-2016, 15:28
Although, for transporting miniatures: having the case being airtight in the first place seems totally unnecessary.

theunwantedbeing
21-04-2016, 15:50
Although, for transporting miniatures: having the case being airtight in the first place seems totally unnecessary.

Unnecessary but potentially useful in some situations.

1. Some idiot spills their paint/drink/food/internal bodily fluids onto your case, the stuff inside stays dry and clean
2. Smelly gamer funk from the local club stays inside the case rather than seeping out slowly over time and causing the wallpaper in your house to peel
3. No real risk of it opening when dropped due to the pressure seal so you can just throw it down the stairs rather than carry it

BramGaunt
21-04-2016, 17:38
its for when you travel by air, you open during flight to stop a air tight case getting stressed or warping. most high end transport cases have them its standard across most ranges.

But, as I said, as far as I know, during air travel, there is barly any difference in pressure. I think it drops down to something around 750 millibar, which is equal to 2km above sea level. Just curious... Ah well.

MarcoSkoll
21-04-2016, 18:48
But, as I said, as far as I know, during air travel, there is barly any difference in pressure. I think it drops down to something around 750 millibar, which is equal to 2km above sea level. Just curious... Ah well.
That difference is actually quite a lot across the area of the lid - it multiplies up to a force roughly the weight of five people. The catches might withstand the case trying to force itself open, but the whole thing could well permanently distort. Flat-sided containers make very poor pressure vessels.

Also, not atypical pressure changes from one day to the next could add up to an equivalent force of having a large barbell weight sitting on the lid, which might on occasion make it a bit difficult to open!

Of course, the question of why you'd want it to be airtight might remain, but at least if it's airtight it'll probably be watertight under most conditions (maybe not if you're going diving with it, but I'd not recommend that), which probably is a quite useful trait.

O.G-Palmer
22-04-2016, 03:26
Had the new GW case in hand and compared it with one of mine, exactly the same case just with another label on. The only difference is the foam itself that is inside, mine came with pick and pluck.

Hishbishy
22-04-2016, 07:07

Well, when you're arbitrarily jacking up the price, you might as well pick the same number across the board.

Unnecessary but potentially useful in some situations.

1. Some idiot spills their paint/drink/food/internal bodily fluids onto your case, the stuff inside stays dry and clean
2. Smelly gamer funk from the local club stays inside the case rather than seeping out slowly over time and causing the wallpaper in your house to peel
3. No real risk of it opening when dropped due to the pressure seal so you can just throw it down the stairs rather than carry it

1. Unless they are literally submerging your case in their precious bodily fluids, your minis will be fine as long as the case is closed.
2. Uh.....
3. Dammit, I got trolled.

jbeil
24-04-2016, 22:08
Actually pleased with the new pattern case - my Carnosaur and pointy Chaos chaps have travelled much better than they did in the last transport system (lots of cardboard and bubble wrap...)