PDA

View Full Version : Phil Kelly - thoughts?

veterannoob
16-04-2016, 09:39
@Dark Chap & everyone else, what are your thoughts on Phil Kelly as a BL author? The Blades of Damocles (BoD) is another example of the books I set in my wish list (which BL did away with when employing the new site...whatever) as least interested but as a completist all the audio books are be mine! Damocles wasn't as enjoyable as Pandorax IMO but at least it had several authors. I'm quite hesitant about BoD because I have little interest in Tau & Smurfs but also because I'm gun-shy about Phil. I enjoyed Sigmar's Blood only so much as reading it during End Times and realizing it was in that context, otherwise I doubt I would have enjoyed it even to the level I did.:shifty:

OK, so, sell me on Kelly as an author and why I should (eventually) pick up this audio book. The running time is not on the page but iBooks tells me 428 pages. I hope that's bigboy pages and not half to one-third E-reader pages...:eyebrows:

Thanks for your insight.

DarkChaplain
16-04-2016, 11:07
I was okay with Sigmar's Blood, though it felt like a string of battle reports directly copied from the campaign book. I think that had more to do with me appreciating some plot progression (it led directly into the End Times, a few years on) than with it being a good novella, though.

As for his 40k work, I hated his novella for Damocles. It was dumb on multiple levels, and his renditions of Shadowsun, Aun'Va as well as Kor'sarro Khan were poor to infuriating. Nevermind the Thunderhawk-surfing and the Knight worship. I almost deleted the whole ebook off the tablet over this novella, but thankfully the rest were better.
His Shadowsun seems very hung up over "the traitor Shoh" aka Farsight, which made her really annoying to read about.

I am honestly glad that instead of a series (which they announced years ago), his Farsight was instead a one-off novella. I haven't read that yet, because I am not hopeful for his Tau.
But seeing him write an early Damocles novel with Blades of Damocles, having Shadowsun, Aun'Va, Farsight AND Sicarius in it? I have to confess, I am more interested in seeing just how disappointed I'll be by his vision for their pre-legend status than the book itself.

What bothers me a lot more than it probably should is the fact that this came out of nowhere, and they didn't even bother with a new cover art for the novel. Its recycled, and they even used the Stormtalon before for Doom Flight, a short story.

I'd also point out that both Sicarius and Numitor were previously seen in Phil Kelly's Space Marine Battles audio drama "Brethren", which I honestly can't even remember anymore. Looking at Goodreads, it got a mediocre rating from me, so I guess I found it pretty forgettable :')

Lord_Crull
16-04-2016, 21:40
Well with Blades of Damocles, the guys over at Advanced Tau Tactica are giving it a very negative review.

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24536&sid=486a5f98bc9ee6c3504e38d4898cca78&p=309777

Sounds like more of the same from his previous works.

DarkChaplain
17-04-2016, 04:15
I loved this list of everything wrong with Blood Oath:

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?p=279667#p279667

It actually makes me feel like I reviewed it too gently back then...

Lord_Crull
17-04-2016, 12:37
I loved this list of everything wrong with Blood Oath:

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?p=279667#p279667

It actually makes me feel like I reviewed it too gently back then...

Eh...

There are some things I agree with, particularly the stuff that explicitly contradicts earlier lore. But alot of the Advanced Tau Tactica reviews do strike me as Tau fanboys being overly nitpicky and analytical. Especially if the story in question portrays the Tau in a negative light.

DarkChaplain
17-04-2016, 15:21
Oh, of course they are hypersensitive, but they highlight a lot of problems with the story, both lore errors and ridiculous writing that wouldn't stand up to reality. Kelly also seems to take the evil communists from 1984 theme too far, further than any other author.

I mean, what can we really say about anti-tank weaponry only scratching the surface armor of a thunderhawk, or the moon cannon that was an awful idea when Iron Lore did it in Dawn of War: Soulstorm already? Blood Oath was a contrived mess with some good ideas but awful execution of them, and it is highly noticeable that Kelly is a Codex writer, not a fiction author.

Lord_Crull
17-04-2016, 15:45
Kelly also seems to take the evil communists from 1984 theme too far, further than any other author.

Indeed, I preferred that the Tau where brighter and more optimistic. It makes for more of a contrast with the Imperium itself. Things like Fire Warriors not being able to repair their own pulse rifles are rather silly. The Ethereals are tipping a bit too much into the cartoonishly evil territory for my tastes.

I mean, what can we really say about anti-tank weaponry only scratching the surface armor of a thunderhawk,

Actually I was fine with that. It's in the fluff that Thunderhawks have special ceramite shielding against melta and fusion weapons. It's even in the rules with Thunderhawks in Imperial Armour. So it's not surprising that Shadowsun's fusion guns didn't damage it much. That's probably what Phil Kelly was going for.

Zombie P
17-04-2016, 16:00
Actually I was fine with that. It's in the fluff that Thunderhawks have special ceramite shielding against melta and fusion weapons. It's even in the rules with Thunderhawks in Imperial Armour. So it's not surprising that Shadowsun's fusion guns didn't damage it much. That's probably what Phil Kelly was going for.

But what was she doing on the wing in the first place!

That post on the tau tactica was very entertaining.

ZP

DarkChaplain
17-04-2016, 17:57
But what was she doing on the wing in the first place!

Fighting Kor'sarro after using her ultrafast jetpack to catch up with it, synchronize speeds and land, of course.

As for the Ethereals being cartoon villains: That seems to be what Kelly is going for with them. Aun'Va in Blood Oath was hilariously bad in that regard. He was pompous and with little to no tactical sense at all. He wasn't inspiring, just a bully.

I much prefer the way Haley handled the Gue'vesa topic in his novella from Damocles. A very good look at how things work there. And then there's Peter Fehervari who spent a lot of time handling Tau, too.

veterannoob
17-04-2016, 18:33
Fighting Kor'sarro after using her ultrafast jetpack to catch up with it, synchronize speeds and land, of course.

As for the Ethereals being cartoon villains: That seems to be what Kelly is going for with them. Aun'Va in Blood Oath was hilariously bad in that regard. He was pompous and with little to no tactical sense at all. He wasn't inspiring, just a bully.

I much prefer the way Haley handled the Gue'vesa topic in his novella from Damocles. A very good look at how things work there. And then there's Peter Fehervari who spent a lot of time handling Tau, too.yeah. Haley's part in Damocles was my fav too.

Khaines Wrath
18-04-2016, 04:59
Haley's book in Damocles was one if my most favourite things I've read from Black Library.

ReconTrojan
19-04-2016, 14:33
I just finished the book. There were good and bad parts. I was confused though after building this whole story of the Tau realizing how regimented the Ultramarines are he mentions that the White Scars are also in the campaign, that would have been 180 degrees from the Ultramarines tactics but he never mentions them again nor the reaction from the Tau of the Scars tactics and success or failures.