PDA

View Full Version : Forgeworld IG Armoured Company - What is it like to play?

Proiteus
16-04-2016, 23:31
I'm taking a break from my Imperial Guard army at the moment while I work on a Tau force (see signature), but I was thinking when I return to my Imperial Guard to focus on building a tank army!

At the moment there are 3 ways to field such a themed list; the first using the codex with the tank commander and two mech vet squads as a base, the second using the tank formations and the third which is the Forgeworld book. Now I've only ever seen a FW armoured company once at a tournament and was unable to really gauge it's abilities.

So what does a Armoured Company List play like?
How many tanks do you usually field in 1500 and 1850pts?
Any hints or tips for making such an army?

mightymconeshot
17-04-2016, 04:46
Th Armored Company list is a lot of fun but make sure your opponent knows ahead of time. Otherwise there can be some hurt feelings. The Vanguisher( especially company command and Commisar) with Beast Hunter shells is just nasty. It is quite easy to get suckered into the Ace upgrades so be careful when you use them.

Biggest down side is the change to ordnance meaning most tanks struggle to move and shoot. In 7th the list got a nice boost as vehicles now score so you no longer need to take any squishy meat bags if you want to hold an objective.

My list, which is basically what I owned and is comprised of a lot of older tanks so not the most effective but it is what it is, clocks in at 2455 and is composed of 8 tanks, 3 support tanks, and a baneblade painted up as Steel legion, 3 Vanguishers, 2 normal patterns Russes, 1 Demolisher, 1 Exterminator, 1 Executioner, and 3 Hydras. Dropping the baneblade and a Hydra puts it under 1850 and if I was to squeeze it into 1500 I would drop another Hydra and a Command Tank. So basically 7 Russes and a Hydra at that level.

As I said it can be a lot of fun, but if your opponent is not ready it can lead to hurt feelings.

Best advice forca theme list is figure out what your theme is. In my case, a mish mash of Steel Legion tanks that survived the rest of their company and were thrown together into a reorganized company with Baneblade support. So if you want to make a city fighting company, Demolishers and Eradicators. Rapid strike force, Conquerors, Armored Fist Squads, Sentinels, and maybe some gunships. Just take a theme and run with it.

WLBjork
18-04-2016, 04:51
They're vulnerable to anything S4+, or carrying Krak grenades, in close combat.

2-3 turns of running and your opponent will be in a position to charge you.

Make sure you have the firepower to stop them.

Smooth Boy
19-04-2016, 02:58
I hear different things, some say they're very powerful, others they're very vulnerable because of low model count. It depends on your opponent and how many times you play them as with all homogeneous armies.

People always seem to take Pask in a Punisher as a HQ, don't know if this will loose you friends.

Ironbone
19-04-2016, 19:57
They're vulnerable to anything S4+, or carrying Krak grenades, in close combat.
So basicly everything thats is used for close combat.

2-3 turns of running and your opponent will be in a position to charge you.

More realisticly, you should count for 1, maybe 2, turn of freedom of manouver, before enemy slams into you, and blows your tanks one by one. This ofc can ( and in fact should ) be migrated by takeing come close combat capable alies.

People always seem to take Pask in a Punisher as a HQ, don't know if this will loose you friends.
No, it should not. "Pasknisher" with his squadron indeed have *very* impresive firepower, byt share same weaks spots as all other guard tanks - it's slow, and hoplessly easy to kill in close combat.

Haravikk
19-04-2016, 20:23
This ofc can ( and in fact should ) be migrated by takeing come close combat capable alies.
Like Imperial Knights? Hey, it sticks to the all-vehicle theme :D

LegioDestructor
29-04-2016, 06:31
I used the original Armoured Battlegroup list from the first Imperial Armour as soon as I got my treadhead hands on it. I think I ran HQ Vanq, Tank Destroyer, 3x MBTs, 3x Conquerors, 3x Exterminators, 2x Salamanders and artillery squadron for 2000pts.

Now though the main IG list has more vehicle options than before [Manticores!] and Formations are awesome so I would change my list, although I don't like how no matter what there is a Veteran tax to take Hellhounds - either an allied CAD list or the Emperor's Blade Assault Company formation. I am still on the fence but will probably buy units so I can use all three options. Right now I have 2x Vanquishers, 2x Exterminators, 3x Hellhounds, a Demolisher, and an HQ tank on the sprue somewhere.

So what does a Armoured Company List play like?
Playing against any army, even a low-model one like Deathwing, is like facing a horde. Space Marines outnumber you by ratios usually seen when fighting Tyranids or Orks. You don't have models to spare so they have to be used properly. Take advantage of rules like Lumbering Behemoth and Orders to maximize potential. When moving, position them safely (try to use cover as much as possible) and try to ensure your vehicles will either annihilate whatever they see, or are not in danger from counterattack if they don't. Each time you move a single vehicle into a firing position you are risking 10% of your army. Make sure it's worth it. The good thing is that your basic troops have frontal AV14 and are dishing out ap3 pieplates. If they can see you, you can see them, and that probably means they're going to be dead.

Assaults and Deep Strike/Outflank are your biggest threats. You are outnumbered, very vulnerable targets, and most AT combat units put out a lot of dice-hurt. Things like anti-tank assault units (either using grenades, high base-strength, or special weapons), close ranged anti-tank delivered via transport (CSM Chosen, IG Vets, Fire Dragons, Wraithguard) and walkers (Drop Pod Dreads) will likely destroy whatever they reach and will wreak havoc until stopped. Maintain a rearguard (Thunderers offer a cheap option here), employ counter-attack/bubblewrap infantry, spread your units out, keep in mind Heavy Flamers are a free hull weapon upgrade.

Mobile shooty stuff like Vypers and Tau Xv8 battlesuits are also a pain because they can avoid your righteous reprisal. Use infantry and close support tanks (Eradicators, Hellhounds, Demolishers) to flush out and punish these cowards!

How many tanks do you usually field in 1500 and 1850pts?
8-12 seems to be the average for those points, you can get 10 naked Russes for 1510 but I would not want to use that and of course if you include the cheaper Chimera-based hulls the number goes up. The Russ is the meat of your army and will cost 180pts apiece averaging the variants I use. I think an HQ Vanq with 3x MBTs and 3x Executioners backed up by 2x Salamanders, 2x Griffons, and a Hydra would be a nice all-rounder at ~1700pts. Trade the Salamanders and Griffons for 2x enclosed Basilisks if you have long sight-lines and it suits your force... but that's just me.

Any hints or tips for making such an army?
Pick a theme. Are they a Siege force? Armoured recon unit? Mechanized assault company? Do they fight in forests, deserts, cities, steppes, chem-wastes...? Armoured units fighting in dense areas would have a preference for close-ranged weapons; Eradicators, Exterminators, Demolishers, Wyverns, and hull heavy flamers would be common. This would suit a Catachan force fighting Orks on Armageddon. Forces fighting in open, long-ranged encounters would favour the opposite; Vanquishers, MBTs, Tank Hunters, Basilisks. The Tallarn fighting Chaos on their homeworld would probably use an army like this.

You should probably take some infantry. They can deter assaults and outright block them via the bubblewrap technique, hide in terrain to provide cover fire, and counter-assault enemy artillery and anti-tank units. I used to argue against taking infantry [that's the point of an Armoured list, right?] but they have several benefits for relatively low cost, appear in many lists I've seen online, and are useful for missions if you cannot guarantee utterly destroying your opponent.

Personally I prefer dedicated vehicles. Vanquishers have hull Lascannons and Multimeltas, Exterminators have 3x Heavy Bolters, etc. I use them because if the turret weapon is destroyed [I admit I am paranoid about it] you still have an excellent mobile pillbox, and there are times - say facing a teleporting Terminator squad - where you'd rather a Lascannon beam and two Plasma Cannon blasts to a Demolisher round. It gets expensive, but depending on the layout you can go from being a ripe target to major area denial unit.

Relying on allies for your counter-assault/infantry roles is a good idea too, as mentioned. Astartes and Mechanicus units excel here, almost like they're intended to...

Oh, and a Vanquisher with Beast Hunter Shells. Because!