PDA

View Full Version : Awakening to a brand new galaxy...

Yamabushi
21-04-2016, 04:57
Howdy folks.

I am a returning Necron player and want to get the low down on what the current scene is like. I stopped playing just after the latest codex was released, and my last game involved IA 12 as well (<--- any FAQ / Errata on this to tie in to the new Dex?)

And.... so much has changed! How's unbound nowadays? I noticed so many "decurions" now? Is the FOC even relevant anymore? There's at least a couple of new armies like Admech, and the supplements are still incoming?

Please, assist this Overlord in this confusing time. :D :D

A.T.
21-04-2016, 17:38
And.... so much has changed! How's unbound nowadays? I noticed so many "decurions" now? Is the FOC even relevant anymore? There's at least a couple of new armies like Admech, and the supplements are still incoming?Formations and decurions are hit and miss and very unevenly distributed around the factions. The FoC is still pretty commonly used for both tradition and for objective secured but as formations are bolted onto the side the restrictions don't mean quite as much to some armies.

The last couple of supplements have been updates / consolidations of older supplements with new stuff added but GW have also taken so shipping rules with limited edition models such as the 30th anniversary space marine.

insectum7
21-04-2016, 19:03
I still haven't seen an unbound army. Seen some Necrons though! To me, their Decurion formation is a reinstatement of their super tough 3rd. and 4th edition armies of old. It can function very well as a Warrior/Immortal heavy Phalanx with other bonuses coming through proximity with other units. Very flavorful, very cool, in my opinion.

Don't let all the supplements confuse you though, you really only need their basic codex and the models. If you still have your old collection, it's likely that you will want to pick up some of the Necron Jetbike things (no idea what they're called). It's the one unit they forced into the Decurion that was otherwise a rare unit to see/collect previously. The basics like Warriors, Lords, Immortals, Destroyers, Ghost Arks, etc. are all still common to see. Their walker unit, the Stalker, does some really nice things too, although I forget exactly what. (Our Necron player has moved, but when he was around I remember trying to knock out the Stalkers early in the game for some reason. I think it gave +1 BS or more re-rolls to nearby units or something.)

Edit: I should mention that if you're in a more casual environment, the Necron Decurion can be a really harsh thing to play against. Personally I like the challenge of going against it, but if your club/friends aren't prepared for it, they could be in for a rough time (The first time I played against it my marines were like a wave splashing against a rock). The nice thing is that it's built from units that happily fit into standard CAD armies, so you can collect all the same models and then build your lists to fit your local meta.

Yamabushi
25-04-2016, 08:28
Thanks guys.

One more question - the Transcendent C'tan. It now has its own entry in the Necron Codex, whereas previously it existed in a more powerful and expensive form in the Apocalypse book. Can I choose either options when building a list?

EDIT: I can't find any documents that realigns the Maynarkh Dynasty from "Fall of Orpheus" to the current Necron Codex. Would it be safe to assume that no such document exists?

A.T.
25-04-2016, 10:14
One more question - the Transcendent C'tan. It now has its own entry in the Necron Codex, whereas previously it existed in a more powerful and expensive form in the Apocalypse book. Can I choose either options when building a list?This came up on the GW facebook. The reply was simply a suggestion not to mix the two in the same army for the sake of clarity.

However the apoc c'tan is an unholy beast of a unit that kill a wraithknight with a casual wave of its arm and may, when killed, wipe out half the table (which may happen surprisingly quickly against some opponents given its lack of invulnerable save and relatively few wounds for its cost).