PDA

View Full Version : Worst Summer Campaign (Poll)

Colonel_Kreitz
10-07-2006, 22:52
Well, now that we're getting right into Medusa V and things seem to be running smoothly, I thought it might be interesting for a look back to determine what has been the worst GW Summer Campaign of all time.

Worst is subjective and it's up to you to define what made any one the "worst." It could be that you didn't like the premise, that the outcome was obviously rigged and didn't reflect the scores of the games that were played (*coughStormofChaoscough*), that there was likely large scale cheating and no counter measures to prevent it, or whatever else made you dislike it.

Note that Medusa V is not in the poll. This is intentional. The campaign is not yet complete and judgment should, therefore, be witheld until after the dust has settled. That having been said, I honestly feel that while the premise is a little shaky, Medusa V is the best campaign that GW has yet done. It's well organized, there are good countermeasures against cheating, GW events (mega-battles, etc.) are better integrated into the campaign, and there appears to be far less artificial intervention from GW to write whatever story they set up to write, regardless of how the campaign goes (again, I look at Storm of Chaos...)

Antaeus
10-07-2006, 22:54
I wasn't very inspired by EoT - I loved Armageddon, but the Battle Reports in WD for EoT just put me off it completely, whereas the ones for Armageddon were amongst the best in my collection.

Gen.Steiner
10-07-2006, 22:54
I disliked Lustria, because... well... it was a bit lame. :(

Damien 1427
10-07-2006, 22:56
Eye of Terror, and to a lesser extent Light Scattered Showers With Sunny Intervals of Chaos.

Just so resoundingly meh. You knew the result from the start, so why bother? We got the LATD list out of it, true, but beyond that it just felt like a titanic waste of time and effort.

Lostanddamned
10-07-2006, 22:59
Suprised by the lack of votes for the light drizzle of chaos.

I voted for EOT because I felt that I wasnt acheiveing anything within the campaign.

sigur
10-07-2006, 23:02
I'd also vote for EoT, or Storm of Chaos maybe. Titanic, "world-shattering" events always make GW look like the loser in the end. Seriously, the gamers never will have an impact on the fluff and it's good that way because otherwise, the core systems' background situation would get even worse than it is now anyway.

Gen.Steiner
10-07-2006, 23:07
Who was the foo' who voted for Ichar IV?! That actually impacted on the fluff! :p

Tanith Ghost
10-07-2006, 23:15
The weak breeze of chaos. For all the fighting I did in lustria(against the accursed lizards no less, I saw no gain for the druchii cult of Slaanesh.:(

And the blatent ignoring of the result by one Gav thorpe(the only real threat to the Empire was the way the rotten SoB robbed the defenders and gave chaos a helping hand whenever they stalled on the barricades across Hochland.:mad: The Empire was kicking ass and taking names. Chaos never got near Middenheim.

marv335
10-07-2006, 23:17
albion.
power armour for fantasy.
'nuff said.

Gen.Steiner
10-07-2006, 23:25
I liked the Albion magic items, it fits with the way I see the WFB world.

But yes, Archaon's horde was smashed to pieces on the various defensive lines. The Dogs of War held that castle for the entire war, for crying out loud!

Colonel_Kreitz
10-07-2006, 23:25
The weak breeze of chaos. For all the fighting I did in lustria(against the accursed lizards no less, I saw no gain for the druchii cult of Slaanesh.:(

And the blatent ignoring of the result by one Gav thorpe(the only real threat to the Empire was the way the rotten SoB robbed the defenders and gave chaos a helping hand whenever they stalled on the barricades across Hochland.:mad: The Empire was kicking ass and taking names. Chaos never got near Middenheim.

Yeeaaahhh. Actually, the Afternoon Drizzle of Chaos also earned my vote (and is the campaign that inspired me to write the threat). I find it toally ridiculous that every piece of fluff on the campaign (especially the new campaign history by BL) has a horrifically apocolyptic tone. Everyone in the Empire is apparently either dead or awed by chaos and there's a general feeling of doom for everyone because, even though the Everchosen has been repulsed, the End Times are apparently still nigh.

Moreover, no-one will EVER be able to explain to me how Chaos managed to lay siege to Middenheim after getting nowhere near it on the overall campaign map. It also amuses me that even though the Defenders virtually wiped out the enemy host besieging them that Middenheim is still referred to as being virtually destroyed in all the fluff.

This is, of course, in spite of the fact that Chaos got the absolute CRAP kicked out it and the entire war was basically a slaughter favoring the Empire and her allies. In spite of that, we apparently somehow lost the campaign. That's the equivalent of the Coalition giving up and deciding that all was lost after winning enormously in Gulf War I...

PS - SoC definitely doesn't get any bonus points for introducing an army of Slayers, either...

Chuffy
10-07-2006, 23:29
I vote for the Swarm of Kiosks.

Most. Contrived. Plot. Ever.

Champion of Light? GTFO!

Gearux
11-07-2006, 00:00
i voted for lustria. It had a bunch of hype over something that no one cared about.

Jedi152
11-07-2006, 08:40
The ridiculous damp squib that was Storm of Chaos.

Built up for ages ... the chaos character that was born to end the world. The 4 most powerful gods in existence have guided his fate for years and years to make him the herald of the end of time. The very ground he walks on cracks up because nature itself despises him.

And what happens? Due to nonsensical writing, no one knows. His army of tens of thousands of warriors of destruction sweep south to destroy the world of men, and just seem to peter out. And run away.

Mannfred, last of the vampire counts, who has bided his time for hundreds of years, has finally decidedhis time has come. Raising and army of thousands he begins his march to destroy the world of the living. And what happens? He gets there and changes his mind. One of the most evil men in the history of the world changes his mind and goes home.

Man has made no sacrifice for this victory at all. A few walls were broken down in Middenheim. Seriously: If i was a citizen of the Empire, i'd be happy as larry: This is the best the dark gods can do? Haha!

And it has the most ignoble end to a good character with a promising storyline - like it was written by a 3 year old:

"Valten went to bed cos he was happy cos he had won and then he was stabbed in the night the end."

Poor GW ... very poor.

Gen.Steiner
11-07-2006, 08:47
Manfred's thought process:

Today, I shall conquer the Old World!
La la la laaa... conquer... kill... conquer...
Hmmm hmm... ooh, that's a nice floral border on that burning cottage...
Dee dee dum dum dee doo... Mustn't forget to feed tonight...
What was I doing again? Hm. Must've summoned this huge army and marched NW for a reason... oh well, it'll come to me.
*whistles*
No, still forgotten. Damn! Just remembered! I left the oven on!

Jedi152
11-07-2006, 08:53
Sir, you should offer your services as a campaign writer to GW! :p

Gen.Steiner
11-07-2006, 09:04
Nah, I think I might be thrown out for having too much flexibility in my plotting - did you not spot how I left open the possibility for him to remember what he was doing!? :p

Melchiah
11-07-2006, 09:09
albion was so the wrost, come power fist hand flamers and power armour. You know when your scraping the bottom o the barell when your recycling that bad

Gen.Steiner
11-07-2006, 09:14
I liked that as previously stated.

I'm afraid I'm one of that recalcitrant band of people who sees the WFB world as being in the Eye of Terror... :p

Melchiah
11-07-2006, 09:18
Anyone think they will be a Amaggedon 4 by chance?

Gen.Steiner
11-07-2006, 09:23
Nah, Armageddon 3 settled into generational stalemate, I doubt that they'll have a War number 4.

The boyz
11-07-2006, 09:49
I voted for Lustria, but Storm of Chaos would get my vote as well. I voted for Lustria mainly because, nothing really grabbed my attention about the campaign, I thought it was a bit boring really.

Storm of Chaos would also get my vote, mainly as stated before by previous posters, the ending to that campaign was absolutley awful.

cailus
11-07-2006, 10:46
The ridiculous damp squib that was Storm of Chaos...

I don't play Fantasy but even I thought you guys got ripped off with this pathetic ending.

Brandir
11-07-2006, 10:54
The so-called 'Storm of Chaos' was the worst. In fact all of them have been poor. What stood out in Storm of Chaos was the pathetic ending of the campaign. Some Orc manages to knock over Archeon. Puts his axe on the neck of this super chaos chap yet doesn't kill him? Whats going on here? And then the skaven 'kidnap'. Complete garbage ending. Ruined the good fluff that was building up in the campaign.

Dr Death
11-07-2006, 11:29
Now which could it be?...:rolleyes:

Storm of Chaos was the pits- It all started to go wrong when they decided Middenheim was to be the objective. Why on earth Middenheim? I mean i know it's a powerful city but this is the everchosen for gods sake, surely if his armies are to be issuing forth in innumerable legions champion of the combined forces of chaos Altdorf would be more appropriote. Attacking Middenheim is like having the ritz sitting there and all the money in the world and then going to KFC because it's nearer.

The entire plot went from one contrived "turn" to another, unfourtunately they were all turns in the same direction and equidistant which inevitably, like storm of chaos, ends you back where you started. The background was so high fantasy i pretty much lost the will to live reading it- armies flying all over the place, massive legion destroying spells, no continuity whatsoever just endless stupidity.

The ending was beyond poor, it basically completely erased any new characters, put the old ones back where they started and in effect sent the message "storm of chaos? what storm of chaos?" which wasnt the ending you should wish considering the build up.

As far as the best campaign goes though i have to say Albion was pretty good. There were 3 gorgeous miniatures for them adding something completely new and inventive to the game, it was set on a location that isnt already colonised and brought an element "nudge nudge, wink wink" humour in with the sly references to 40k present in the magic items distributed at the end. Full marks to GW for that one.

Dr Death

Sureshot05
11-07-2006, 11:52
The Spring Shower Of Chaos by far,

- lousy ending
- poor reflection of results
- terrible, terrible impact on the fluff
- GW's after treatment of the event and head in the sand attitude about it.

However, I have larger hopes for this summers event, but I fear that nothing is actually going to come of the event (i.e. no fluff impact)

cailus
11-07-2006, 12:11
This is why I have no faith in Medusa and refuse to post battles for it. To mem it's just a lame marketing campaign.

Morph
11-07-2006, 16:15
I don't know about 40k so it was between the 3 fantasy ones. I actually kind of liked Albion. It was a bit of fun really.

What's worse between Lustria and SoC? Difficult one.

SoC was all hype, stupid plot turns, ignoring of game results etc.

On the other hand, Lustria was... umm... well, I can't actually think of anything to say. Was it even a summer campaign?

I voted for Lustria for the dullness factor. At least SoC got people interested.

Rabid Bunny 666
11-07-2006, 16:26
The Zephyr of Chaos was mehtacular.

Estragor
11-07-2006, 16:49
Not a Fantasy gamer, but SoC got my vote. Had great build up for the campaign and coverage of the new armies in a couple of White Dwarfs but then....

.....Nothing happened. Worst ending to a campaign ever (and that includes EOT- at least Typhus got himself a Daemon World)

Colonel_Kreitz
11-07-2006, 17:23
Man has made no sacrifice for this victory at all. A few walls were broken down in Middenheim. Seriously: If i was a citizen of the Empire, i'd be happy as larry: This is the best the dark gods can do? Haha!

Arghhh! This is the one that, as I noted, really, really gets to me. The summer campaign is supposed to be a reflection of how the games go. Whomever wins the most games wins the campaign, etc.

Therefore, it is incredibly frustrating to be an Empire player and see that, even though you dominated in the campaign and Chaos got nowhere near Middenheim, you apparently almost lost the campaign, Middenheim is virtually destroyed, and the whole of the Empire is despairing because of the horrific losses they've suffered.

What the deuce?

Morph
12-07-2006, 12:42
Arghhh! This is the one that, as I noted, really, really gets to me. The summer campaign is supposed to be a reflection of how the games go. Whomever wins the most games wins the campaign, etc.

Therefore, it is incredibly frustrating to be an Empire player and see that, even though you dominated in the campaign and Chaos got nowhere near Middenheim, you apparently almost lost the campaign, Middenheim is virtually destroyed, and the whole of the Empire is despairing because of the horrific losses they've suffered.

What the deuce?

Well Chaos lost in the end, didn't they? But your point is taken. They'd obviously worked out the plot in advance and the games actually meant jack all.

Tooooon
12-07-2006, 12:49
Storm of Chaos. I didnt even know the entire campaign was going on and it was the unheard of until it had finished! But after reading the fluff, and seeing the result comparrason, I just thought :wtf:

Like said above, Empire dominated Chaos, and yet Empire lost almost equally as much as Chaos. If any evidance that gw fixes and plans the campaigns before they even start, this was it.

dancingmonkey
12-07-2006, 13:02
Storm of Chaos, for all the reasons posted above by anyone with half a brain cell.. (not that i'm saying you guys have half a brain cell)

The clanger of a "plot element" with the Slayers losing Garagrim and his dad taking up the oath again was so transparent it hurt...

I had recently started playing empire in a big way and really felt narked when we fought and held almost from the off, yet got such a spanking in the fluff.

Ichar IV first time was great. We had to do it all ourselves... remember. There was none of this online nonsense, and the linked battle report was rather tasty. It just felt great. I had only been playing for about 2 months by then so was all wide eyed and innocent. Maybe that helped.

The recent refight was a farce. It had no bearing on anything and wasn't really expalined at all. I am still confused as to wether it was a refight ora return to Ichar IV in current fluff timeline.(which would have been better)
Running 3 simultainious campaigns was a little silly me thinks!

Forgotmytea
12-07-2006, 16:39
Storm of Chaos. It was predictable in terms of the outcome, and the background still annoys me. They literally queued up to beat Archaon!

ActV, scene 3
Stage: A battlefield. Chaos, Orcs and humans all fighting.
[Valten enters, beats Archaon round the head]
[Huss enters]
Huss: Mind if I get in on this?
Valten: No, be my guest!
[Huss beats Archaon round the head]
[Grimgor enters]
Huss: Wanna try Grimmy?
Grimgor: Yeah!
[Grimgor beats Archaon round the head]
[Grimgor, Valten and Huss leave]
[End of Scene, drop curtain]

Ok, so it wasn't quite like that, but hey.... :angel: The general fluff was less-than-adequate, and did not (in my opinion) reflect what GW could have done to make a much better ending *cough*spawnarchaon!*cough* :D

-Forgotmytea

The Judge
12-07-2006, 17:15
Lustria was (IMO) crap.

At least for Storm of Chaos I played some cool games and the new armylists were cool. Fighting in the jungle just was not fun for me.

Reabe
12-07-2006, 20:14
Storm of Chaos. Most people have already said what was wrong with it, so I don't think I need to repeat it, but what the heck.

I'm happy that I didn't buy a Valtan model, since I wouldn't of been able to use it, and making the "On Foot" models of two characters, both of monster mounts, is *********** stupid, rules wise. if I were to play Chaos (Sigmar help me if I ever do) and Archy gets knocked off his merry-go-round horse of the end-times, what model do I use? Does Archy suddenly become the normal Chaos Champion on foot or something? You might as well make all the models for a core choice to be limited edition, only available if you go to a redundant and over-expensive event.

Also, the fact that anything I did didn't affect nothing during the campaign, or anything that the good side did. "Oh, you've defeated the Evil side in most areas? Well... um... they get teleported to their goal anyway."]

Also, I was rather annoyed by Thunderball the giant getting killed. I must admit, it was the best bit of fluff that made somewhat sense in the entire campagin, but I'd rather not have the giant killed. He operated a huge cannon! Now, that would of been an awesome limited edition model, not Archy or Valtan on foot.

cailus
13-07-2006, 00:31
Apparently the next WHF campaign will be called "The Resurgence of the Giants" in which the Giants form huge armies and battle each other.

At the same time a new race will be introduced in 40K called "Giants." Giants will be available as allies to every 40K army, even Nids. As part of the introduction to the new race, a campagin will be fought. In this campaign the only players allowed to participate will be those who purchased a Giant and who can quote the unique serial number located inside every box of Giants.

Huzzah for Games Workshop!

bertcom1
13-07-2006, 01:14
Eye of Terror was the only one I took part in. I played 8 games over the course of the campaign. We chose one star system to set our games in, since it seemed stupid to be jumping all over the place.

Abbadon the Despoiler's 13th Black Crusade eclipses all that has gone before.

A conflict the likes of which has not been seen since the Mon-Keigh warred amongst themselves

Hype.

You chose Dark Eldar. The War in the Webway doesn't start till later. Sucks for you

Warp Storms!. All these systems are now irrelevant!

Bad campaign mechanics.

The EoT was a big disappointment to us. We had 2 Necron, 3 Dark Eldar and 1 Thousand Sons players who felt a bit left out at the beginning, and the system we had chosen was made irrelevant by one of GW's Deus Ex Machina events. We kept playing though, but it just seemed so disappointing.

Tymell
13-07-2006, 08:26
I'd go with Storm of Chaos, and for the same reasons everyone else has already said. Just felt too contrived and like players had been cheated by the end. Personally I don't like the way worldwide campaigns are now anyway: they're too frequent. It feels like "Oh, here comes another campaign!" and they're just not anything special anymore. Keep doing them and inevitably nothing about the fluff will change, which, to me, is the whole point of trying to get players involved like that.

I'm in two minds about Medusa V. On the one hand I do agree it won't affect fluff much. However, on the other hand, if this comes true it won't be as much of a disappointment as SoC, since that was so big and hyped up. Medusa V is one single world, so no matter what the result, it's never going to affect the fluff really anyway. In that sense they may well acually pay attention to the results this time (:eek: ;) ) since they can get away with it safely.

Hmmm...smells like GW learning from SoC and deciding to play things safe. :rolleyes:

Charax
13-07-2006, 08:35
I'm torn - on one hand, Lustri sucked, it barely registered as being a campaign and died without much comment. On the other hand, EoT was a massive campaign, with extreme coverage, and yet it was poorly thought out, ended in a chaos win that wasn't actually a win and had almost no long-term effects except for the Tau.

I think EoT wins it for me.

StormCrow
13-07-2006, 15:51
i went with lustria purely because i didnt even know it was a campaign until reading this thread...i just thought they'd gone on some weird marketing tangent for some plastic shrubs or something...

...otherwise i would've gone with the storm of chaos. Von Carsteins ending left me thinking 'are these guys for real?', and the whole empire in ruins thing doesnt sit well with me. Spawn Archaon and make Nagash the everchosen, now that would be interesting

Eldanar
13-07-2006, 16:05
Albion was simply horrible. Scenarios that were almost completely unwinnable by one side. Ridiculous magic items. A butchering of the fluff. And final results which made absolutely no sense whatsoever (remember, the Dark elves did extremely well with their codex v.1.0). :rolleyes:

Tooooon
13-07-2006, 16:25
I loved EoT in a sense that it made use of a lot of special characters which had been released for some time now and showed you each of them and their part in the whole campaign. I still thought it was strange that technically chaos won, yet IG got a crapload of new releases in the mist of campaign (plastic cadians, new command squads, new stormtroopers, etc) and chaos got nothing...? O.o

I must admit theres one aspect even though its still ongoing about Medusa campaign which I dont like. The fact its all these different armies and such fighting over one bloody planet. EoT was about all these different planets and such and a much wider area, while Medusa is an entire campaign in the 40k universe about one planet!! I just really dont think every type of army would attack on one planet for X and Y when they all know its gonna "die". And if anyone was smart, they would just sit back and watch their enemies kill each other, then see who wins and then go and attack them only and take the win from them, or just bloody orbital strike the planet on each of the areas which have been infested by the enemies!

GamesmasterZ
13-07-2006, 16:58
I'm totally making a campaign for the players of 40K, it's gonna' be called "Imperium ftw!". It will be the coolest thing anyone has made their overpriced toy soldiers fight in.

The setting will be a place called Gamesa Workshopia, somewhere near the star of No-wair. Whatever anyone does will not affect the grand tome of Flufficuss Minimus and every army will fight for Gamesa Workshopia.

There will be a website were people can put in their results. They won't matter though, I already know who's going to win...

So yeah. Here's what a narrative battle report would look like,
Tau guy - "Oh, Imperial, do you want to fight this battle although I outnumber you thirty-to-one and your men are tired and diseased?"
Imperial guy - "You know I do you crazy alien, I have no idea why we should be diplomatic and talk this outI have issues with my mum... when we could just waste the lives of gajillions!"
Tau guy - "Fine, we shall fight."
- Battle begins -
- Battle ends -
Tau guy - "How did you win? I had over thirty billion soldiers...you had a guy with the trots. How...he didn't even have a gun! What...how...the..."
Imperial guy - laughs

See, I told you...Imperium for the win!

I'm totally pitchin' this to GW...

Andrew-

cailus
14-07-2006, 00:08
I'm totally making a campaign for the players of 40K, it's gonna' be called "Imperium ftw!". It will be the coolest thing anyone has made their overpriced toy soldiers fight in.

The setting will be a place called Gamesa Workshopia, somewhere near the star of No-wair. Whatever anyone does will not affect the grand tome of Flufficuss Minimus and every army will fight for Gamesa Workshopia.

There will be a website were people can put in their results. They won't matter though, I already know who's going to win...

So yeah. Here's what a narrative battle report would look like,
Tau guy - "Oh, Imperial, do you want to fight this battle although I outnumber you thirty-to-one and your men are tired and diseased?"
Imperial guy - "You know I do you crazy alien, I have no idea why we should be diplomatic and talk this outI have issues with my mum... when we could just waste the lives of gajillions!"
Tau guy - "Fine, we shall fight."
- Battle begins -
- Battle ends -
Tau guy - "How did you win? I had over thirty billion soldiers...you had a guy with the trots. How...he didn't even have a gun! What...how...the..."
Imperial guy - laughs

See, I told you...Imperium for the win!

I'm totally pitchin' this to GW...

Andrew-

Dude, I would so play this campaign. At least I know what I would be getting as opposed to "you change the outcome of the universe, buy a giant, for the love of god just buy a giant!".

Lexington
14-07-2006, 20:41
Yeah, Storm of Chaos, for most of the reasons above. Silly build-up, senseless campaign mechanics, absolutely stupid resolution. This was Chaos' big push? You'd think the Empire would have something better to get worked up about. The only nice thing was that they got rid of those word-wastes, Valten and Archaon.

Now, EoT was a fair bungle in and of itself. Much like Storm of Chaos, it was billed as the big, apocalyptic battle that had been hinted to be forming in the fluff for years, and yet nothing of note or interest really happened. Well, I suppose that one side managed to win the day while completely losing the space battle. That was pretty amazing.

I'm actually enjoying Medusa V, though. The world in question doesn't have a huge impact on the fluff, and every race has a clear and interesting objective. Plus, the Imperium is actually fighitng for something noble for once, which I don't think we've seen since 1997 or so...

Ozymandiass
14-07-2006, 22:41
Am I the only one who remembers the first WHFB worldwide campaign. The name escapes me but it pitted the Lizardmen up against the Brettonians who had taken some artifacts. It was a huge seige with all the baddies plus the Lizardmen on one side and all the goodies plus the Skaven on the other. I think it was the first one they did after Ichar IV (which was still the best, despite being limited to just Nids, Imperium, and Eldar).

For me though, the worst was Lustria. It kind of came and went without anything. I don't even know what it was about!

Ozymandias, King of Kings

Plaguebeast
15-07-2006, 10:34
I don't think Lustria can be considered a worldwide campaign on a par even with the relatively small-scale Medusa V campaign. I couldn't get into it as re-fighting past events just didn't appeal to me, so I'm a little thin on my knowledge of the 'campaign', however, from what I gathered wasn't it merely a backdrop for groups of players to run their own little campaigns?

As far as worst camapigns go though, then it was definitely SoC, for most of the reasons stated previously. EoT certainly had it's flaws, but at least the result was a little interesting and the ever popular SMs were left red-faced. While Medusa hasn't generated the same hype as SoC or EoT, I think GW is on the right path here - the relatively small impact it will have on the fluff means something more than a draw may actually be achieved. More importantly though, by giving each race its own goals GW has gone PART of the way to preventing the formation of racial alliances to 'beat up' on the popular army, as what seemed to happen with the SMs in EoT and Chaos in SoC.

Plaguebeast

Scythe
17-07-2006, 11:39
The pleasant cooling breeze on a hot summer day of Chaos gets my vote. Nothing made sense there. The results were rigged like no tomorrow, the fluff made you drop to your knees and cry, and most of the new army lists released were horribly unbalanced (and not in a good way).

Albion was simply horrible. Scenarios that were almost completely unwinnable by one side. Ridiculous magic items. A butchering of the fluff. And final results which made absolutely no sense whatsoever (remember, the Dark elves did extremely well with their codex v.1.0). :rolleyes:

Dark Elves didn't do that well. They netted the most wins, but people forget that they suffered more defeats as wins (winning percentage only slightly higher as 40%). Basically they won because they played the most games (on a side note; this made it all but impossible for the less popular armies to win or achieve anything at all).

Epicenter
17-07-2006, 13:25
SoC was probably the most poor. Abaddon's a pretty ****-poor big bad guy for Chaos in 40k, but you know it's bad when people consider you to be a bad copy of him, and that's Archeon in a nutshell.

EoT was pretty lame, but at least you could see from the actually W:L totals how things were semi-close. SoC the totals weren't even close, but you know, but you know Games Workshop and how they love their evil. So you had all the efforts of the Empire and their allies still losing and Valten still dies. Though I think the worst moment of SoC was the utterly asinine moment when Gav had to bring out his skaven to plant their bomb or device underneath the city. My god, what idiot thought that part would be cool? I don't think even the Skaven players thought that was neat.

Pilgrimsp
08-08-2006, 00:57
I have a question.

WHERE IS MEDUSA IN THIS LIST!! NO REALLY!!

Scythe
08-08-2006, 13:13
I know it takes a lot of effort, but at least try to read the first post of a tread....:rolleyes:

Note that Medusa V is not in the poll. This is intentional. The campaign is not yet complete and judgment should, therefore, be witheld until after the dust has settled. That having been said, I honestly feel that while the premise is a little shaky, Medusa V is the best campaign that GW has yet done. It's well organized, there are good countermeasures against cheating, GW events (mega-battles, etc.) are better integrated into the campaign, and there appears to be far less artificial intervention from GW to write whatever story they set up to write, regardless of how the campaign goes (again, I look at Storm of Chaos...)

CarlostheCraven
08-08-2006, 15:11
I have to vote Storm of Chaos as the worst ever. It was like Gav got a memo stating "write a conclusion to this thing, and EVERY special character mentioned must do something cool. Oh and it must be done for tomorrow." His response was to get liquored up and write a stream of consciousness piece that rambled on in an incoherent fashion. The White Dwarf editors, who may or may not have taken part in this big drinking/writing session, were afraid to tell Gav that his stuff needed more work (Would you really want to tell a hungover Gav Thorpe to edit something?) and sent it off to be published.

I would have considered voting for Lustria, but I do not even consider it to be a campaign. Albion was excellent, 40k rip off items or not.

For 40K, the Eye of Terror was also rather poor, whereas Ichar IV and Armageddon were a lot of fun.

Notice the trend of my interest in world-wide campaigns falling the older a veteran I become? Coincidence? Maybe, but the quality really does seem to be slipping.

Oh, and where are the LOTR campaigns? Wasn't there a "War of the Ring" campaign or something last year?

Cheers

WarbossKurgan
08-08-2006, 15:58
That having been said, I honestly feel that while the premise is a little shaky, Medusa V is the best campaign that GW has yet done. It's well organized, there are good countermeasures against cheating, GW events (mega-battles, etc.) are better integrated into the campaign, and there appears to be far less artificial intervention from GW to write whatever story they set up to write, regardless of how the campaign goes
Got to agree with that!

I disliked Lustria, because... well... it was a bit lame. :(
For me too. It was a really disappointing.

Oh, and where are the LOTR campaigns? Wasn't there a "War of the Ring" campaign or something last year?
The War of the Ring thingy wasn't really global, it was run separately by several GW Regions but they weren't tied together.

I'll put my hand up and say that I loved EoT - I was on the side of Disorder and I thought the atmosphere of the campaign was spot on. Sutably doom-laden and apocalyptic.

And I really, really enjoyed SoC. I was playing Orcs (!) and we were ignored in the beginning and gob-smacked by the end, but we just got on with it and had a good time!

Hun
08-08-2006, 19:50
I didn't even know Lustria was a Summer Campaign so I put that.

swordwind
08-08-2006, 21:41
Lustria. I bought the book but I didnt even bother to read it. Not even on the bus home!

Promethius
08-08-2006, 22:08
I didn't play the fantasy campaigns, so I voted for EoT as it was diabolical. We were promised massive changes to the fluff, new developments for chaos if they won, and a fair system for assessing results. What we got was a fluff cop-out, a result that could be seen a mile away and event cards which changed any flow of direction which went away from the pre-planned script.

Have to say, Ichar IV was the best. It just felt more fun.

Arnizipal
08-08-2006, 22:49
SoC was probably the most poor. Abaddon's a pretty ****-poor big bad guy for Chaos in 40k, but you know it's bad when people consider you to be a bad copy of him, and that's Archeon in a nutshell.

As 40K was released after Fantasy, hasn't Archaon been around longer dan Abbadon?

Though I think the worst moment of SoC was the utterly asinine moment when Gav had to bring out his skaven to plant their bomb or device underneath the city. My god, what idiot thought that part would be cool? I don't think even the Skaven players thought that was neat.
Actually that was a piece of fan-fic from a Skaven-player forum that GW made official because the Skaven posted so many wins in the end.

Dr Death
09-08-2006, 08:18
Actually Archaon has only been around since 1998 when he was released in the "champions of chaos" book. He was actually pretty cool back then, as a questing chaos warlord desparately searching for the final treasure that will define him as the true champion of chaos undivided. However all this got hijacked in 2002 when GW decided they wanted a generic baddie and advanced his story to the point where he had now got the final treasure.

As soon as he slipped the crown of domination on his head he turned from really quite interesting and cool to "I am the one and only, nobody i'd rather be! All bow before my wrath" apart from he wasnt the one and only as Horus and Abbadon had done the "one true villain" act before him and better. So now we're left with this comic book spikey villain in the same vein as dr doom or any of those baddies in scooby doo, who, when thwarted (now there's a word you dont use out of the strict context of cliched returning villains) can be seen running for the hills muttering about "those meddlesome kids" eager to return and having their vengence.

Dr Death

Bun Bun
09-08-2006, 09:10
Actually Archaon has only been around since 1998 when he was released in the "champions of chaos" book. He was actually pretty cool back then, as a question chaos warlord desparately searching for the final treasure that will define him as the true champion of chaos undivided. However all this got hijacked in 2002 when GW decided they wanted a generic baddie and advanced his story to the point where he had now got the final treasure.

As soon as he slipped the crown of domination on his head he turned from really quite interesting and cool to "I am the one and only, nobody i'd rather be! All bow before my wrath" apart from he wasnt the one and only as Horus and Abbadon had done the "one true villain" act before him and better. So now we're left with this comic book spikey villain in the same vein as dr doom or any of those baddies in scooby doo, who, when thwarted (now there's a word you dont use out of the strict context of cliched returning villains) can be seen running for the hills muttering about "those meddlesome kids" eager to return and having their vengence.

Dr Death

I would have gotten away with it if it had'nt been for those meddling orcs!!!!!!!!! :p

But seriously I thought that Storm of Chaos was the worst campaign simply because of how it ended. It looked like it was going so well then suddenly nothing, nadda. Jee Wiz... better luck next time hey Archiii ol' boy. :mad:

f2k
09-08-2006, 14:41
Mmm, let me see…

Ichar IV – Was semi-interesting do to the fact that it was the first of its kind.
Armageddon – Was interesting because, for once, the Orks were portrayed as actually having a certain brutal cunning – even to the point of actually kicking ‘umie behind…
Albion – Had a few interesting scenarios, but very little beyond that. And please, don’t even get me started on the so-called “magic” items.
Lustria – Was this even a global campaign? I completely missed it.
EoT – A good idea that got lost in cascade effects and event cards. Felt way to controlled by GW to actually be interesting.
SoC – Baaahh! I don’t think I can add anything to what has already been said…

In the end my vote goes to SoC. It was just a sham – from the opening shot to the pathetic end. And the worst part of it is that GW is now basing their fluff on it. Not just in the books, but also in the upcoming computer games.

The Empire in tatters? Please, Chaos was sent home whimpering like a beaten dog…

Promethius
09-08-2006, 17:00
Although Medusa V isn't covered, I would like to point out that even if the Imperium trounce all comers, they still loose their planets and get nothing fluff wise except satisfaction - on the other hand, if say, Tau win, then it looks like they will get better warp engines. I find that irritating to say the least.

Ichar IV was chaotic and the use of traditional mail to collect results made the whole thing slightly risky in terms of accuracy, but when you saw some of the battle reports and such that had been sent in to WD, you got an impression of passion for the game that has been missing in subsequent campaigns. I also liked the idea that Ichar IV actually contributed to the fluff (although it was subsequently underwritten by having the splinter fleets turn out to be almost more dangerous).