PDA

View Full Version : Official statements by GW about squatting fantasy

Groza
27-04-2016, 22:38
So I've been out of the loop for quite a while, I haven't kept up with AoS releases since the game was launched and I'm pretty sure the last WD I own is at least half a decade old.
I'm curious if there have been any statements by GW, published in WD or otherwise, about squatting warhammer. I'm pretty curious to see what is their attitude towards it. The only thing I had found was that horrible part where they were introducing one of those new AoS worlds and compared it favorably to Averland because Averland was "boring". Just remembering that makes me fume with rage.

I used to read the articles by Jervis Johnson, Standard Bearer, and I don't know if that is still around but I'd assume that if it is he must have had something to say on the subject.
Or has their stance been exclusively "**** YEA AGE OF SIGMAR THIS IS A NEW ERA OF GAMING AWESOMENESS" with a complete disregard for the legacy of WHFB?

Folomo
27-04-2016, 23:47
What you found is what it is.
The top 10 reason to love AoS is the closes to a official statement I remember.

Lord Malorne
28-04-2016, 00:02
I can appreciate why there is not an 'official response' it would not accomplish anything besides being whine-bait, as people carefully and systematically tear whatever they said apart and espouse how the reasons were wrong, how GW is the devil etc etc, I miss 'actual' warhammer, rank and file, I don't fancy AoS, but I can certainly see no reason for them to entertain reasoning for why it squatted, other gaming companies are open with why they make decisions, its usually just causes a toxic feedback loop.

Harosyn
28-04-2016, 03:20
So I've been out of the loop for quite a while, I haven't kept up with AoS releases since the game was launched and I'm pretty sure the last WD I own is at least half a decade old.
I'm curious if there have been any statements by GW, published in WD or otherwise, about squatting warhammer. I'm pretty curious to see what is their attitude towards it. The only thing I had found was that horrible part where they were introducing one of those new AoS worlds and compared it favorably to Averland because Averland was "boring". Just remembering that makes me fume with rage.

I used to read the articles by Jervis Johnson, Standard Bearer, and I don't know if that is still around but I'd assume that if it is he must have had something to say on the subject.
Or has their stance been exclusively "**** YEA AGE OF SIGMAR THIS IS A NEW ERA OF GAMING AWESOMENESS" with a complete disregard for the legacy of WHFB?
GW tried to spin the new AoS as continuation of WFB (*bull crap*) , but since their spin is transforming/continuation of WFB then technically they dont see it as "squating" WFB even though they did they just dont want to call it that. AoS is just a thinly disguised cash grab ,but you can still buy the 8th edition rules from the GW Black Library as digital download.

blackcherry
28-04-2016, 11:16
I can appreciate why there is not an 'official response' it would not accomplish anything besides being whine-bait, as people carefully and systematically tear whatever they said apart and espouse how the reasons were wrong, how GW is the devil etc etc, I miss 'actual' warhammer, rank and file, I don't fancy AoS, but I can certainly see no reason for them to entertain reasoning for why it squatted, other gaming companies are open with why they make decisions, its usually just causes a toxic feedback loop.

I agree. Even looking at companies like PP, who are adored for their interaction with community...well now there is a new edition on the horizon, people are picking apart sentences spoken on a podcast and treating them as if they were gospel and set the stage for exactly how Warmachine will be and now it's all ruined, it will never be the same, dogs and cats will live together....

GW's complete lack of engagement with the community is perhaps not the right answer, but putting out any sort of statement will only lead to anger anyway.

For a case in point, see below :p

GW tried to spin the new AoS as continuation of WFB (*bull crap*) , but since their spin is transforming/continuation of WFB then technically they dont see it as "squating" WFB even though they did they just dont want to call it that. AoS is just a thinly disguised cash grab ,but you can still buy the 8th edition rules from the GW Black Library as digital download.

CrystalSphere
28-04-2016, 14:43
The official stance is that AoS continues the story of WHFB, so it is the evolution, not a different thing. Most races like orcs, elves, etc. still appear. It is still a gw fantasy setting but removed of all historical references (ex. empire = holy roman empire) and given room to add new things easily.

Tokamak
28-04-2016, 15:58
Games Workshop is burning the ships as a strategy to get veterans on board of AoS. They see veterans as a bonus where-as AoS is mostly meant to attract newcomers.

The veterans however aren't having it and I think GW is starting to realise they used to have a loyal fanbase that they depend more than they like to admit.

HammerofThunor
28-04-2016, 16:28
OP, not sure why you put "boring" in quotes. The actual quote was

4. The Mortal Realms. From the Realm of Fire to the Realm of Heavens and everything in between, the Mortal Realms offer a lifetime of war zones to fight over. The grassy fields of Averland are a thing of the past. Long live the floating islands of the Shimmertarn, the ever-changing Eldritch Fortress and the blood-spewing geysers of the Igneous Delta.

What that is actually saying is the infinite realms offer lots of possibilities.

Lord Malorne
28-04-2016, 16:53
I have no issue with AoS story, I only miss rank and file.

Groza
28-04-2016, 16:54
Well I didn't remember the exact quote but I was certain that it was heavily implied that we should be thankful they got rid of those boring grassy fields.
I don't see how the floating islands of shimmabhwahab offer more possibilites, we already had the realm of chaos which was perfect for that sort of stuff, except now we don't have the gritty realistic setting that it was juxtaposed against.
It's just more 21st century spectacle creep that I want no part in.

Tokamak
28-04-2016, 16:58
we already had the realm of chaos which was perfect for that sort of stuff, except now we don't have the gritty realistic setting that it was juxtaposed against.

Yeah, dismissing the grounded settings and going straight for the surrealistic stuff is such a rookie worldbuilding mistake.

Folomo
28-04-2016, 18:28
Out of curiosity.
Have the floating island of shimmertarn appeared yet?

Ludaman
28-04-2016, 21:35
Out of curiosity.

Nah I think just the shimmering hammers of Sigmarite that blazed with holy sigmar's light and then caved in the blood-drenched skull of the bloody-bloodmonger who hungered for the Lightning infused sigmar-heart of said Noble Stormcast Eternal.

Blood, lightning, hammer, skull, bone!!!!

Infinite possibilities of infinite finite-ness!

Zywus
28-04-2016, 22:16
Out of curiosity.
:D
They really should do something with the floating Islands. Seriously.
In a way, it's the most memorable thing to have come out of AoS so far.

That rumoured summer campaign should totally be about claiming domination over The Floating Islands of the Shimmertarn. (With sub-sections being the struggles to conquer the Blood-spewing Geysers of the Igneous Delta and the Ever-changing Eldritch Fortress.)

Tokamak
28-04-2016, 23:28
Blood, lightning, hammer, skull, bone!!!!

Infinite possibilities of infinite finite-ness!

Yeah I can see why the Old World was too small and limiting now.

the gribbly
29-04-2016, 05:19
There isn't an official statement that I know of. Just a radically new direction. As a veteran of 15 ish years I was angered and I thought it was justified. Then I got over it and went back to gaming. There's plenty of alternatives including former editions where the old world lives on.

GW can't kill whf it isn't possible. Only players can do that. They literally just wrote another chapter in its history.

DarkChaplain
29-04-2016, 09:33
They killed WHFB fiction pretty decisively, to the point of never releasing books or cancelling series midway. So yeah, as somebody who bought almost every book they released, month after month, WHFB is dead for good.

Cybtroll
29-04-2016, 16:56
It cannot die what eternally can sleep,
And in strange eons even death may die.

Death here meaning GW, of course ;)

herjan1987
29-04-2016, 17:33
They killed WHFB fiction pretty decisively, to the point of never releasing books or cancelling series midway. So yeah, as somebody who bought almost every book they released, month after month, WHFB is dead for good.

I guess Black Library is either a carion bird or he doesnt know that WFB is squatted:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer

Andnore
29-04-2016, 17:33
It cannot die what eternally can sleep,
And in strange eons even death may die.

Death here meaning GW, of course ;)

"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."

Get it right! ;)

More seriously, I don't think GW is eternal; their IP, sure, but not the company itself.

ColShaw
29-04-2016, 18:31
"That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die."

Get it right! ;)

More seriously, I don't think GW is eternal; their IP, sure, but not the company itself.

"Everything dies, baby, that's a fact.
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back."
-Bruce Springsteen ;)

DarkChaplain
30-04-2016, 02:10
I guess Black Library is either a carion bird or he doesnt know that WFB is squatted:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer

They haven't released anything for WHFB since The End Times. Even the "new" articles like the Total War books are simply TW-branded Omnibuses of content from up to april(?) 2015. The Empire book especially is just a new cover/title for an omnibus from 3 years ago.

Just because they're still selling it, they are NOT releasing anything new or things they still have lying around. The WHFB supply of fiction is limited to what we got in the past, with nothing new coming. And even then, a bunch of the Omnibus editions they released since AoS have been e-Omnibuses, with no prints available. And it isn't like WHFB hadn't already been put on the backburner in favor of 40k for a couple of years, with little to no marketing for new releases...
The "Warhammer" tab on the store, too, was only reintroduced after a couple of months - they removed it entirely from the old website upon AoS. Guess somebody realized that they still want to sell those products and should have a category for them

The well's dried up.

Sothron
30-04-2016, 02:51

Yep. They killed WHFB completely. AoS is completely different and pure crap. None of the greatness of WHFB is left in it.

Fieos
30-04-2016, 03:25
Yep. They killed WHFB completely. AoS is completely different and pure crap. None of the greatness of WHFB is left in it.

I spent thousands on WHFB during 8th Edition. I played in a league pretty much weekly for the entire run of 8th Edition. When the End of Times stuff started; the interest faded for our group. When Age of Sigmar was released with round bases it was effectively the end of anything WHFB in our sizable gaming community. Now we've moved on to other things to the point that even if GW wrote a formal letter of apology, wrote a magnum opus of 9th edition, and provided the rules for free I probably wouldn't even notice as their footprint in FLGS has shrunk to almost nothing, I have no incentive to view their website, and honestly I'm still bitter.

GW prices have always been a difficult pill to swallow but their miniatures are unparalleled. Now I see some of the most beautiful models ever released by them and I'm completely without incentive to play the game.

I've moved to Warmahordes and it has been fun for sure; gaming with your crew is fun. However it isn't 8th Edition WHFB fun. We've actually started reverting back to board gaming and have been enjoying that as well.

DarkChaplain
30-04-2016, 03:41
I'll argue that their miniatures *were* unparalleled but aren't anymore. The static nature of Age of Sigmar kits alone is a big black mark and turns me off. Having no weapon options alone for the Stormcasts is ridiculous, and it sure is fun fielding the same silly-posed dudes multiple times..

Voss
30-04-2016, 05:05
I'll argue that their miniatures *were* unparalleled but aren't anymore. The static nature of Age of Sigmar kits alone is a big black mark and turns me off. Having no weapon options alone for the Stormcasts is ridiculous, and it sure is fun fielding the same silly-posed dudes multiple times..

Heh. Silly Chaplain, weapon options are kits now, it's how the money is made, and how they stretched the Sigmarining out over the course of a year when it was just one kit over and over again, plus a handful of defective dragon things.

StygianBeach
30-04-2016, 07:42

The sormcasts have weapon options, just not the ones in the starter box.

Ben
30-04-2016, 08:25
The sormcasts have weapon options, just not the ones in the starter box.

If anything weapon options on one basic body is all they have.

StygianBeach
30-04-2016, 08:40
If anything weapon options on one basic body is all they have.

Like most multipart plastic kits, or am I missing something?

Harosyn
30-04-2016, 12:38
Plus those models are way over the top for an army model they look like they for a super hero clix game not fantasy miniature army. I just dont see the appeal of them to a miniature army wargamer.

MOMUS
01-05-2016, 14:28
I have no issue with AoS story, I only miss rank and file.

and everything else that made WHFB a great game.