PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Guard Elites and Fast Attacks

+_Void_Crusaders_+
11-07-2006, 00:17
Hey guys,
Just wanted to take in a consensus on how you use your Imperial Guard. Most importantly, what kind of elites and fast attack do you use?

As for myself in my 3,800ish point army I use Inquisitorial stormtroopers (but stormtroopers nonetheless even if they are troops), 2 veteran squads, and 2 Death-Cult Assassins. IMHO I'd love to have an 8 strong Ogryn squad but it just doesn't seem feasable at the cost. I Have never used ratlings and I think that enginseers are pretty good but just don't have a place in my army. I have also used regular assassins as an elite role but I find that their price is a bit high vs. 2 death cult assassins.

As to Fast Attack, I have a converted Hellhound (Made out of the old rhino using a dreadnought arm as a turret with 2 heavy flamers on it and a IG heavy weapons shield) and 2 sentinels (that I got from the old IG battle box). I'm trying at the moment to convert 10 rough riders from catachan parts and some sort of motorcycle/dirt bike. Besides the mega expensive conversion on the UK site, how do you think I should go about making these biks?

Okay,
it's your turn. What do you use?

stompy
11-07-2006, 09:48
2 units of deepstriking stormtroopers with 2 plasma guns, and a unit of 4 ogryns in a chimera. The stormtroopers are just nasty, and the nobody has ever actually seen an ogryn in use before, so are generally quite scared of them.

Fast attack, I've experimented with sentinels, but I can't really get them to work.

cookiescrumble
11-07-2006, 09:53
I personally don't use any elites apart from stormtroopers.

Fast attack, i use all the choices, hellhounds, sentinels and rough riders. The best sentitels are those with lascannons.

Gen.Steiner
11-07-2006, 09:55
Elites:

Hardened Veterans are my favourites, followed by Stormtroopers.

Ratlings and Ogryns are used less frequently, in fact I've not used either since about mid-3rd Edition.

Not yet used an Engineseer, actually.

Fast Attack:

Sentinels in the #1 spot for me, almost always take three. Then Rough Riders and Hellhounds equal second place.

Colonial Rifle
11-07-2006, 10:14
Very bog standard for me:

Elite's: small squads of deepstriking plasma-gun veterans.

Fast attack: Auto-cannon sentinels

Eduard
11-07-2006, 10:46
Elites:
3x 10 man squad with heavy bolter,vox caster,3 Granade Launchers. Thats a whole lot of AP 4 (or template goodynes) nastyness at BS 4.

and for fast attack.
Sentinels with lascannons (4 in total).

revford
11-07-2006, 11:23
I use the Grenadier doctrine to sneak those Stormtroopers in as Troops, leaving Elites free for an Enginseer and Veterans.

The veterans have a missile launcher, plasma gun, lasgun, shotgun, two grenade launchers and the sergeant has a stormbolter. It's not an optimal, cunning setup, just one that seemed cool.

For fast attack, sentinels with multilasers. Never in a squadron, one choice each. If I'm taking a salamander as well, I'll move one of the sentinels to the Command HQ.

The salamander seemed great on paper, it just has no luck on the table, three heavy bolter shots, three heavy stubber shots and two from the autocannon and it couldn't hit a tree in a forest.

Ravenous
11-07-2006, 11:30
Orgyn are insane they have 3 wounds each, they are essentially S6 swarms that need S8 to instant kill them. excellent counter assault/tie up unit.

Drop troops and 5 man squads of Veterans with 3 plasmaguns/meltaguns are fantastic for hunting tanks and armoured enemy units.

Ratlings are good for those pesky monsterous creatures.

Sentinals are excellent at harassing and just getting in the way.

KnightofUltramar
11-07-2006, 12:01
For my elysian D99 I use both elite choices (sniper teams and special weapon squads) and I also use both fast attack choices (drop sentinels armed with HB or Multimelta and cyclops demo vehicules)

KoU

Steel_Legion
11-07-2006, 12:03
well i usually take a hellhound, as they are great in cityfight, sometimes a sentinal (i usually lump that with the HQ however) and as for elites, s a small objective capturing stormtrooper squad even though i dislike them, or a 5 man shotgun veteran squad, i usually just take infantry platoons though, like 2 maxed out 55man ones, no one likes playing over 100 guardsmen in 1500!

Ravenous
11-07-2006, 12:16
I forgot about hellhounds, these things are a ******* nightmare to face.

Escaflowne_Z
11-07-2006, 12:46
I take a Hellhound, a squad of 3 autocannon Sentinels, and a unit of deepstriking stormtroopers in my young Guard army. Plasma gun and melta, powersword for the sergeant if points are available. All three units do well for me. And are really fun to use.

Ironhand
11-07-2006, 12:56
For Elites I take 10 man Hardened Veteran Squads, either 2 or 3 them (Veterans doctrine), with 3 plasma guns and a lascannon each. If I feel I need to deepstrike I'll take one unit of stormtroopers.

for Fast attack I use Sentinels and Hellhounds. I've never used Rough Riders because I don't like the models.

tuebor
11-07-2006, 13:59
I never take any elites, but I always take two Hellhounds and a squad of Rough Riders.

Chaos and Evil
11-07-2006, 14:04
In my 1500pts list I have:

ELITES:

- Squad of 5 Vets with 3 Meltaguns & Sgt with Plasma Pistol.

- Squad of 5 Vets with 3 Meltaguns & Sgt with Plasma Pistol.

They Deep-Strike and then it's DEATH TO TANKS!

FAST ATTACK:

- Sentinel with Heavy Bolter.

- Sentinel with Indirect firing Missile launcher.

- Cyclops Demolitions vehicle.

For my 2000pts list, I'm currently working on converting 10 Storm Troopers to fill my final Elites choice... they'll be mounted in a Valkyrie.

Axeman1n
11-07-2006, 14:59
3 Vets with 3 Plasmas each. (Doctrine to go with it)
Sentinels with Lascannons, along with a squad of Rough Riders.

dave is the best
11-07-2006, 15:29
In my 1500pts list I have:

For my 2000pts list, I'm currently working on converting 10 Storm Troopers to fill my final Elites choice... they'll be mounted in a Valkyrie.

have you any pictures of them

blood angel
11-07-2006, 16:14
I use two deepstriking units of Stormtroopers - 5 man with 2 melta guns and a unit of 10 ratlings.

The ratlings are awesome for taking out demon princes and squigoths!

Gen.Steiner
11-07-2006, 16:25
I've always found infiltrating veterans to be much more effective than their deep striking variant, myself...

robertsjf
11-07-2006, 20:29
Storm troopers and sentinels. I like my sentinels with 48" range weapons, preferably the one where I'm rolling more dice....