PDA

View Full Version : Power Armor Orks

Asmodios
23-04-2016, 18:11
So whats everyones opinion on the new Ironjawz models? Personally i think they are great if you want to use them for a game like 40k.... That being said they look ridiculous in a fantasy setting to me. Interested to see if anyone is going to buy any.

MLP
23-04-2016, 18:21
Never really liked orks either fantasy or 40k. However these models look amazing and really fit in with AoS, which obviously isn't your traditional fantasy. From what I've seen on Facebook and Twitter there is a lot of love and preorders done already. Possibly the best reception of an AoS faction release yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snirr
23-04-2016, 18:24
I'm tempted to buy that Dragon-creature for conversion as a wyvern.

Also the shaman looks pretty cool. I would get it if it was cheaper.

The Power Armour Orcs look pretty ridiculus to me. Very sci-fi. Or "american-style" Fantasy like WoW or some of the DnD settings.

I like Orcs because they are feral and rather low-tech.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G388F mit Tapatalk

theunwantedbeing
23-04-2016, 18:34
'Ardboyz (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ironjawz-Orruk-Ardboys) are just the old Black Orcs on round bases.
Brutes (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ironjawz-Orruk-Brutes) aren't really wearing all that much armour, it's more just big slabs of metal bent to fit around them and then held in place with a big strap.
Gore Gruntas (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ironjawz-Orruk-Gore-Gruntas) are just brutes riding big boar things.
The Megaboss (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ironjawz-Orruk-Megaboss) is just wearing a better fitting set of armour slabs.
The Warchanter (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Ironjawz-Orruk-Warchanter) is just wearing a few bits of strapped on armour.

I know the overall imagery is reminiscent of the 40k power armoured Orks but only really from the front.
Which is to be expected because it's a simplistic style of slabs of armour and they've obviously been sculpted to look that way, they're using the same jaw plates to make them look extra fierce exactly like in 40k that Fantasy Orcs for some reason never really bothered with.

I quite like them.

scruffyryan
23-04-2016, 18:54
rrrrgh I would have liked them more if they'd come out FIRST rather than having all the power armor orks to compare them too. Kind of makes them feel out of theme for a fantasy game having seen the 40k orks first.

veterannoob
23-04-2016, 19:21
Love them. Only dislike is chanter. Glad they have alt paint schemes but black seems to be the best so far, on a white Maw Krusha as well. Same yellow Bad Moonz I use for 40K Orks so I'm into it and plan on picking some up for my 40K but no way these are 40K orks without adding cables, bits, things that make them sci-fi:) Maybe no squiggoth use for Maw Krusha but want one anyway to paint. Excited to see what's coming next. Looks like buddy is getting his Ironjaws Saturday morning. Wonder how long it will be before first game vs. the IJ.

Andnore
23-04-2016, 19:25
I'll be honest, I like them. Sure, the Maw-krusha doesn't look like it should be capable of flight, but I'm pretty sure it gets around those pesky laws of physics the same way red 'uns go fasta!

Because Orruks :P

Ol'shas'ka
23-04-2016, 19:30
I'm a fan of the Brutes, Megaboss and Warchanter, and the Maw-Krusha is pretty alright too. The Shaman seems alright but isn't really what I'm looking for in Orcs and the boars are just ... no thanks.

Bloodknight
23-04-2016, 19:30
but I'm pretty sure it gets around those pesky laws of physiqs the same way red 'uns go fasta!

Pretty much that. :)

Zywus
23-04-2016, 19:47
I don't hate them, but the models are pretty meh.
And not at all worth the cost in money, but that's for another thread.

The poll doesn't work BTW.

Asmodios
23-04-2016, 20:22
And not at all worth the cost in money, but that's for another thread.

The poll doesn't work BTW.
Yeah not sure what i clicked wrong but it shows it as closed.

Grizzlybeer
23-04-2016, 20:31
Pasting my opinion from the rumor thread...

Not sure how i feel about this release, honestly. Probably my favorite out of the AoS releases thus far, but that isn't saying much...

I really dislike them changing the aesthetic of the orc heads similar to what they did with the flash gitz... They look more goblinesque due to having smaller jaws and longer-looking faces, imo. Probably something else too. Less differentitation from humans and ogres i think.

Brutes - I absolutely hate the brutes that don't have boots... Looks completely wrong to me. I'm fine with not having an article of clothing anywhere but the feet, makes the model look... Unbalanced. The weapons look awesome though, and with some sculpting and maybe headswapping, these would look really cool. But that is going to be a high price to pay to have to modify so much... Do we even have the prices listed in any of the pictures?

Warboss/megaboss/ghazgull - looks neat and tempting but I'm terrified of finding out the price....

Boar riders - I personally hate the boars. The boars themselves took completely static vs the dynamic riders and makes for an overall confusing miniature. Coupled with likely the varanguard pricing i am definitely skipping these.

Shaman - especially a victim of the "slendering" of orcs, this mini not just limited in the face. Otherwise a cool miniature, but if its meant to go with the ironjawz release should have been armored or something, imo

Monster - can't really form a good opinion due to limited angles. Not a fan of the helmeted head. Definitely not a fan of the surfer orc, though he himself is a cool mini.

This release is the closest i have been to getting into AoS but I think GW have effectively priced me out of "fantasy". Combined with the constant army comps in expensive books it's becoming much too confuaing as in 40k.

I'll still consider picking up some brutes, boss, and toad, but I'll have to hold out to find out pricing and closer pictures.

Upon closer inspection I think I will pass on the maw crusha, though i still like the brutes and boss

Ben
23-04-2016, 21:01
I really like the Ardboyz.

The Maw Krusha. Is it supposed to have scales? It just has a grid pattern of scratches on it.
The Wizard looks constipated.

I think a lot comes down to the awful studio paintjob. The yellow and green make it hard to differentiate. The red and black schemes I've seen since do make the models look much better.

Treadhead_1st
23-04-2016, 21:18
Looking at the 360s I'm not sure how you can call them "Power Armour Orks".

I love the models though - the Maw-Krusha is awesome and the Brutes look savage with the two-handed weapons.

Asmodios
24-04-2016, 00:16
Looking at the 360s I'm not sure how you can call them "Power Armour Orks".

I love the models though - the Maw-Krusha is awesome and the Brutes look savage with the two-handed weapons.
Maybe its the bright yellow but the armor looks fart to bulky and full for an ork. To me an ork is supposed to look more wild will bits and pieces of plate and cloth tattered about. I think if i ever add any orks to my goblins it will be mantis.

Dr.Zahnfleisch
24-04-2016, 03:20
I like the Mawcrusha, but everything else just looks wrong somehow. It's similar to the release of the Fireslayers, in that I can't really figure out what exactly is wrong with the new aesthetics. It's probably many small issues that form an overall disappointing whole, the most prominent factors being faces, poses and bad colour choice on the promo images.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9505 mit Tapatalk

Pojko
24-04-2016, 04:20
The actual Orcy parts... like the heads, look great. Classic GW Orc anatomy. It's the armor I don't like.

I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but I think this is it. They look melted. It looks like someone took a Ork Nob in mega armor or something, dunked it in some nail polish remover to strip the paint, and the plastic got soft and warped. It doesn't look like armor. Just a melted exoskeleton. In my opinion at least.

But I do like the big monster's head. Looks cool. The rest of the model I haven't really seen, only the front.

Hragged
24-04-2016, 05:40
To me, the old Black Orc minis look more power-armoured than these new Orruks. The new Orruks' armour looks much more savage, like random pieces of metal bashed together, and the Orruks generally have less armour coverage - whereas the Black Orc armour looks more advanced and a lot neater in construction.

I think the biggest problem was the bright yellow paint job obscuring the armour details in pics (especially when seen at a distance) and being a colour scheme seen more commonly with the 40K Orks - there's a bit of association bias creeping in.

stroller
24-04-2016, 08:21
Yeah but no but yeah but no but ....

I wouldn't buy them for old world fantasy - except perhaps the shaman and the gribbly beast.

I WOULD buy them for 40K

I MIGHT get around to getting them for AoS - but probably way down the list.

2DSick
24-04-2016, 09:13
Monstrous Mount us great. The rider is a bit meh.... and he has power armour shoulders, great :|

Boar things are a bit pants. The chin hair is terrible.

Some of the foot orcs are great. The two hander axe one in particular! Might try and swipe a second hand one as a warboss/crudger.

The other ones suffer the same awkward posing as the fireslayers.

And still can't CAD sculpt hair...

Overall not bad but for the price and claims (of being the top mini makers) it's a big fat disappointment.

MLP
24-04-2016, 09:14
Interested to see if anyone is going to buy any.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/c964994160f0107647d8f6702532d371.jpg

Schmapdi
24-04-2016, 09:25
They're decent enough - but they look over done and out of place. They're better suited for 40K than anything fantasy.

HappyDad
24-04-2016, 09:48
I agree with a lot that has been said. Possibly best Ao$ release so far, but that does not say a lot... They look ok. If I was into massive heroic scale, over the top, WoW styling then I might really like these. However, I'm not. I like old school fantasy, Warhammer, LotR, DnD, etc, and so these just make me cringe. The old orc wyvern model was looking a bit dated, but still looks pretty cool on the table among an orc horde, with a decent paint job and a themed base. I removed the shield from my wyvern rider and used some jewelry chain to make some reigns that are bolted onto the wyvern's horns and then held in the rider's fist. Looks pretty neat. That new Maw Crusha though - not for me! And the boars - just WTF is going on with their chins? I know beauty is in the eye and all that. I am sure GW could drop a **** on a large plastic base and a lot of people would find something they like about it, but it definitely screams to me that they are just not sure what's up these days in the sculpting studio,... As has been said before, I was priced out a while ago, so all water under the bridge anyway. That being said, if they did an orc kit that I liked and that fitted in with my Warhammer range, then I would probably buy it. An 'out of the park', beautiful, fierce new wyvern would of done that.

Peace out to anyone playing Ao$ though and enjoying it (and these new models). Not meaning to rain on your parade. I wish I could enjoy it, but I can't.

Nubl0
24-04-2016, 10:42
Honestly upon seeing the blurry pics I thought I would hate them, but upon checking them out properly I actually rather like them. The armour isn't even close to power armour, just slabs of metal crudely slapped on, and the backs are largely unarmoured. I do feel the bright yellow coulour scheme they decided to go with doesn't help at all though.

The only complaint I have about them is that their heads, specifically the lower jaw aren't bucket like enough for me. That and the gruntas mounts have rather dumb looking heads.

mdauben
24-04-2016, 13:19

Unfortunately, this seems to sum up my feelings for all the AoS miniatures. I don't hate them but none of them inspire me.

It used to be almost every time a new set of miniatures were released for WFB I'd want to start a new army. This is the fourth "new" army for AoS and I have no desire to start *any* of them. [emoji20]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

smaxx
24-04-2016, 13:26
The Brute, painted black looks OK. Yellow paint is just awful. If there was still a game for the minis, I could imagine our family needing the new Orcs. But because of AoS, no need.

2DSick
24-04-2016, 15:30
Wierdnob shammy is actually very good.

£20 for one plastic model though. Just let that sink in a minute. £20.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
24-04-2016, 15:49
I like it. Not so much the warchanter. Way too static. Looking forward to a savage release later. I might pick these up. Maybe.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Smooth Boy
24-04-2016, 21:22
It says the poll is closed so I'll say here, they're hideous.

memitchell747
25-04-2016, 02:39
Boar things are a bit pants. The chin hair is terrible.

Wanted to like them, but the chin hair is a deal breaker. Maybe if it wasn't painted flesh color.

Geep
25-04-2016, 05:15
I don't like them as-is, but think some of them could be salvaged.
Since I have no interest in AoS, my only consideration was whether Brutes could make Black Orc heroes. I think they could, but they'd need a head swap and a lot of chainmail added to fill the armour gaps and to look more Fantasy. They'd probably have serious ranking problems, as Black Orcs are terrible in that regard anyway. I would never pay the asking price in order to do that conversion, but will keep an eye out for cheap second hand models.
I don't like the Shaman (too tall and un-orcy), the Gruntas (those boars are hideous, and not in an appropriate way) or the Boss (he doesn't look active or threatening to me). The angry cabbage is a near miss (I think a longer body and proper tail could have sold it, and the eyes are too far forward). In all cases prices are a joke.

I am very happy that few greenskin models went onto 'last chance to buy'.

herjan1987
25-04-2016, 05:32
. In all cases prices are a joke.

Hey, the Black orcs have got a a good price :)

Aspher
25-04-2016, 10:08
What were they thinking when designing those Grunta mandibles? Whales? Almost studio Ghibli-like. Shame really, should not have been very difficult..

Andnore
25-04-2016, 10:19
What were they thinking when designing those Grunta mandibles? Whales? Almost studio Ghibli-like. Shame really, should not have been very difficult..

If you zoom in on the Gore-gruntas display models, those aren't actually mandibles; the Orcs have apparently either janked the tusks out, or just replaced lost tusks with knife-blades that have been stuck in their place.

Sureshot05
25-04-2016, 10:31
Too much armor for my fantasy tastes. It's why I didn't like the Black Orcs to begin with so I can't fault GW on the style. If you are into Black Orcs, then this should be a hit. If you're not, then it won't work. It's just too much for the faction. It makes you wonder who makes these fine fitting suits for the Orcs. I'll wait to see other Orc factions and the Goblins. Overall, AoS so far has had far too much armour in general, with the notable exception of the fyre slayers.

the_picto
25-04-2016, 10:51
It makes you wonder who makes these fine fitting suits for the Orcs.

I think the original Black Orcs were a product of the Chaos Dwarfs, so well made armour isn't that surprising.

The new Brutes look like they just punched a slab of metal into a vaguely form fitting shape.

blackcherry
25-04-2016, 11:38
They look very much in keeping with the AoS aesthetic, only suitably orky.

I think they look fearsome, which is what Orks should be! It seems to me that people's problems with orks with armour is purely based on past design choices. Which is fair enough. But I'm open enough to quite like most of the range and the free rules for them seem not too bad.

The only thing putting me off is the price for some of the minis.

MagosHereticus
25-04-2016, 11:50
The chucks of armour are just too thick, only retarded AOS logic could explain away how they are holding that much metal and still functioning. Overall the models aren't as horrible as the rest of AOS but they are stupid in design. I won't buy. What happened to the model sculptors? 8th edition was fantastic, did they all get fired with the change and replaced with newbies?

Haravikk
25-04-2016, 11:51
I actually rather like them; I've never really wanted to play green skins in either game personally, but they've always been fun to play against and I think these models should look good on the battlefield. I'm not so keen on the boar riders (they all have weird facial expressions, and I'm not sure I like the boars themselves either) but the infantry and the Maw Krusha are pretty sweet. They're looking good rules-wise too actually.

Kahadras
25-04-2016, 12:23
Lets run through....

Maw-crusha - Don't really like it. I'm not a big fan of most of the monsters that GW has produced for AoS. Their chests seem too wide and the legs always look at an odd angle.

Ardboys - I liked the old Black Orc minatures so I like these.

Brutes - Don't really like them. Have the same problem that most of the elite boxes that GW produce do (price).

Megaboss - Looks OK (I like the big skull on the shoulder pad) then I look at the price.... **** off GW

Weirdnob Shaman - Same as the Megaboss. Looks OK, look at price.... **** off GW.

Warchanter - Looks awful. Not interested (also price.... **** off GW).

Gore-grunters - Really don't look good at all. I'm not sure how the Grunters got past GW quality control (I'm not even sure if they have quality control any more).

So to sum up. Some of the stuff looks good (Mega boss, Shaman, Ardboys) some stuff looks OK (Brutes, Maw-crusha) and some looks really bad (Warchanter and Gore-grunters). As with most stuff in AoS though the price completly puts me off, even from the models that I like the look of.

Drakkar du Chaos
25-04-2016, 21:00
Quality is good.
The scale is too big.
Design is too much 40K.
Price is too much AoS :shifty:

Could buy a little of this if i played O&G, i do not... and will not start a collection with these.

Sete
25-04-2016, 21:05
No love for the prices here. But I do like them. I ive never been big on orks.

Kakapo42
26-04-2016, 02:20
Well I still can't seem to vote on the poll, but if I could I'd go with 'I hate the models'.

The models themselves neither tell a story to me nor do they make me feel anything (except the same internal deadness that all of GW's recent models make me feel), and since those are pretty much the big two reasons for me liking a model, that makes them a solid failure in my eyes. But the reason I hate them (as opposed to merely disliking or cold indifference) is because they and those that come after them will be at the expense of the fantastic old Orcs and Goblin models from the previous range.

I also definitely agree that they look more futuristic than fantasy, but they don't look like they're in power armour to me - they look like they're in Terminator armour! It's that back-plate over the shoulders and neck that does it, since it gives them the same hunched-over encased look and profile that Mega-armour or Terminator armour has. The new infantry models also highlight just how much of a difference textures can make - if they removed around half of that thick metal plating from the models and replaced it with chainmail and/or leather, I think it would instantly make them much more fantasy-esque.

The not-Boars are awful. Even without the ridiculous beards their heads seem way too large and badly proportioned. And this is coming from someone who LIKES the Razorgor model.

The rest I don't really have any strong thoughts about. Just apathy and longing for what came before. Except the re-released Black Orcs, they were brilliant then and they're brilliant now.

Mr. CyberPunk
26-04-2016, 06:26
I love them, to me, AoS is a joke of a ''game'' but I still plan to buy some brutes (though their tag price makes me hesitate) to convert into snake bite ard Nobz in 40K.

The only one I don't really like is the shaman (too scrawny but it's still a wonderful mini), I feel the warchanter will look good if you just put one of his arms down. Of course, the price is ridiculous for everything, but that's par for the course for GW.

Sheena Easton
26-04-2016, 10:09
As someone who used a lot of fantasy models in Ork armies and Gorkamorka mobz, aside from the Wierdboy and the few potentially salvageable bitz, I'd never use these abysmal attempts at green skin Sigmarines in any game. This includes the Black Orc kit which I never liked.

Even the Wierdboy (which I suspect started out as the 40K Wierdboy it resembles) needs a lot of conversation to work as a Wierdboy starting with a proper Orky head, the drag queen earrings being removed and the limbs cut down to proper orky proportions - and at that price, there is no way I'd pay for a model I'd need to do that much work on when a quick visit to ebay brings up perfectly serviceable Wierdboy and Orc Shaman models at a fraction of the price needing minimal work.

duffybear1988
26-04-2016, 10:43
GW really need to work on colour schemes. They also need to not create a monster that looks like a cabbage with a mouth :D Or if they do they shouldn't charge the world for it.

The boss is almost the same price as the box of 5 orks... he's not worth that by a long shot.

WilhelmVX
26-04-2016, 11:11
I didn´t vote but the models are nice.
I could even see myself use some of them in my 40k army.

TheLionReturns
26-04-2016, 11:17
Initial reaction was bad, they just looked like mega armoured bad moons to me. However, having seen them painted up in a darker metallic style I have to say they really look good, and the armour doesn't seem as modern looking as I first feared.

Spiney Norman
26-04-2016, 16:32
I guess if I could vote in the poll I'd give the semi-positive response, the boar gruntaz or whatever they're called are horrendous, the mounts are some of the worst designed models GW has made in years (probably since the infamous pumbagor), but I actually like the rest of the range. Initially I wasn't a fan of the brutes, but the 360 shots and high res pics have definitely improved my opinion of them. More than anything else GW needs to start feeding through authorised advanced previews, that a large number of customers are forming their first impressions of their product from a blurry phone picture of a leaked WD is not helping their business at all.

Sete
26-04-2016, 17:18
And after the Orks in power armour got trendy everyone hates them because they are heavily armored!!! Its that mob mentality. Despite black orks having even more armour.
Cant explain that.
The boars I not a fan. Never liked cavalry units.
Brutes are big and menacing. Awesome.
Flying snap jaw is awesome. Shaman dont like it. Neither the drummer.

Karak Norn Clansman
26-04-2016, 23:32
These armoured Orcs are not worse than Black Orcs in the sense of blocky armour. I like them, though they are admittedly as useful for WHFB as for 40k.

The shaman is an ace of a miniature.

veterannoob
27-04-2016, 16:43
227072Have you all seen this floating about?

Drakkar du Chaos
27-04-2016, 20:29

Scale creep.

Vazalaar
27-04-2016, 20:41
Initial reaction was bad, they just looked like mega armoured bad moons to me. However, having seen them painted up in a darker metallic style I have to say they really look good, and the armour doesn't seem as modern looking as I first feared.

I have to agree! They are really growing on me! :)

Asmodios
27-04-2016, 21:48
That thing is huge! on a side not i liked the plane primed model better then GW bright yellow. Maybe thats whats really bothering me with the pics. Either way i do think that is the best looking model of the ones released.

Tokamak
27-04-2016, 21:59
That giant shoulder skull bugs me more every time I see it.

Ben
27-04-2016, 23:20
The new orks (norks?) look better in pretty much every scheme except the official studio paint job.

vlad78
28-04-2016, 03:21
I have to agree! They are really growing on me! :)

I really like them as bad moonz. No need to use them in AOS.

jet_palero
28-04-2016, 07:23
If we were still playing 8th edition, I'd proxy them. I don't really like them.

Also, they are too big. I thought this was supposed to be miniature wargaming.

Andnore
28-04-2016, 07:35

I'll be honest, I Always felt that Grimgor Ironhide's model was too small, compared to the fluff which clocks him in at, what, four meters tall? The Megaboss is what I would have liked him to be, size-wise.

dalezzz
28-04-2016, 09:34
That mega boss looks much better in this pic ... Still needs more dakka though ;)

aprilmanha
28-04-2016, 09:41
It just feels like a marketing guy was in charge, and had a list of the recent best sellers of the Ork line.
He saw that Mega Armoured Nobs the the current best selling Ork product and just said... "Ok make them but in fantasy"

And then the designers away and did their best with it while being whipped to CAD faster :P

Then The Marketing people leaned over once it was done and selected random things and played with the Scale options to make it all bigger... but in "interesting" ways.

Herzlos
28-04-2016, 10:11
I like the scale - Orcs should be big monsterous things that do a huge amount of damage. I dislike everything else.

Sete
28-04-2016, 10:22
I like the scale - Orcs should be big monsterous things that do a huge amount of damage. I dislike everything else.

My thought's exaclty.
And the boss is the bigger one as it should be.

aprilmanha
28-04-2016, 10:33
I always thought it better to have the older Fantasy style where Orcs were smaller and while tough not the best fighters.

It was not until they had gotten a few fights under their belts that they started to get bigger and bigger as their strength built and their skills improved.

That way, the endless horde of smaller Orcs could be used to support their few veteran units and leaders who were head and shoulders above the rest, not just with better gear but physically on a different level from how they used to be.

It made them more special that way.

Now all Orcs are huge and it just makes the characters feel that bit less special (also that the whole game has just gone from 28mm scale to 35mm which make the characters even less impressive)

Bloodknight
28-04-2016, 10:46
Now all Orcs are huge

Nope :). Ironjawz are. Ironjawz are not all Orcs.

Hragged
28-04-2016, 13:05
The Orc King Brian Nelson sculpted the Orruk Megaboss, which was the first Ironjaw sculpted:

aprilmanha
28-04-2016, 14:16
The Orc King Brian Nelson sculpted the Orruk Megaboss, which was the first Ironjaw sculpted:

But Extremes are generally quite a polarizing place to go :P
A feature that might be appealing to people in moderation becomes bad when taken to extreme levels.

Also Any product that designed to be marketed as "Such and such but now with EXTREME" though be put in a box and never shown the light of day :P

Edit: While I might have liked these if they had gradually built to them over the years and a number of iterations, this sudden jump to EXTREME makes the difference to big to ignore, and its offputting.

Drakkar du Chaos
28-04-2016, 14:55

I'm pleased to see GW credit again the sculptor/designer/writer behind the product.

Tokamak
28-04-2016, 14:59
Then The Marketing people leaned over once it was done and selected random things and played with the Scale options to make it all bigger... but in "interesting" ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfVOui1Xgng

dragonelf
28-04-2016, 21:37
I think the yellow colour scheme does them no favours because it makes them look 40kish. But I think they are great sculpts with the exception of the pig riders. My only problem with them is that the faces are very similar in expression which is what really gives the orcs character. Other than that, love 'em. I am not an orc player either.

The bearded one
30-04-2016, 02:56
The yellow colour scheme makes them look like bad moon orks. Without it, they look a whole lot more fantasyísh.

Harosyn
30-04-2016, 05:05
So whats everyones opinion on the new Ironjawz models? Personally i think they are great if you want to use them for a game like 40k.... That being said they look ridiculous in a fantasy setting to me. Interested to see if anyone is going to buy any.
They look ridiculous for anything game wise maybe 40K , the armor looks like they raided the Pottery Barn , and that so called wyvern looks like a giant toad with wings.

Scribe of Khorne
30-04-2016, 05:28
I kinda like them. They look a bit over the top (MegaNobz-esque) but I like them well enough.

Captain Marius
02-05-2016, 17:33
I love the boss on maw-krusha, Gordrakk is getting added to my destruction forces next for sure! Ill have a unit of Brutes too, i like these monstrous infantry sized orcs that fit well with the ogres, trolls and blight king sized models. Warchanter is bonkers and a must have. Shaman has stupid earrings which put me off a bit, as do the heads of the Gore Grunta boars, probably wont get them. The book is great fun tho and glad weve got a good insight into the leadership of the Destruction alliance!

veterannoob
02-05-2016, 17:49
It just feels like a marketing guy was in charge, and had a list of the recent best sellers of the Ork line.
He saw that Mega Armoured Nobs the the current best selling Ork product and just said... "Ok make them but in fantasy"

And then the designers away and did their best with it while being whipped to CAD faster :P

say whhaaa?!:rolleyes:

Col. Tartleton
02-05-2016, 18:02
It should be remembered that these are Black Orc Big Uns not Common Orcs.

Lord Damocles
02-05-2016, 19:27
say whhaaa?!:rolleyes:
Hur hur. Meganobs best selling Ork product. It's tragic, really.

Geep
03-05-2016, 14:22
It should be remembered that these are Black Orc Big Uns not Common Orcs.
This is a big part of the problem for me. We want to know what common 'orruks' are now like- instead, we get these. We want to know what dwarfs are up to- instead, we get 'fyreslayers'. Where are the humans? No idea, but here's some humanoid angelic guys you didn't want!
Only the Khorne lot has anything approaching normal guys, and that's 'normal' by fully-devoted-to-Khorne standards, not regular Chaos stuff.

Even though I find some of the 'orruk' models ok, the disconnect between what I have and these guys just leaves me disinterested.

williamsond
03-05-2016, 14:58
I dislike them less than the dwarfs but still don't like them as much as the orc previous range. There's something I can't put, my finger on but I just don't like them. Like a lot of the AoS range they seem static and clinical, the only models I haven't dislike so far were the chaos range.

KieranHayns
06-05-2016, 15:32
Love the models. Was just a little stupid of them to paint them in bright yellow.

Some of the more subdued colors look much better. Just bigger black orcs.

Love the Maw Krusha. Much more orcy than the wyvern.

Think they could have made more of an effort with the Gordrakk conversion option though.

memitchell747
09-05-2016, 18:51
This is a big part of the problem for me. We want to know what common 'orruks' are now like- instead, we get these. We want to know what dwarfs are up to- instead, we get 'fyreslayers'. Where are the humans? No idea, but here's some humanoid angelic guys you didn't want!
Only the Khorne lot has anything approaching normal guys, and that's 'normal' by fully-devoted-to-Khorne standards, not regular Chaos stuff.

Even though I find some of the 'orruk' models ok, the disconnect between what I have and these guys just leaves me disinterested.
Think you are on to something. AoS ain't about common folk living in quiet hovels. Grabbing spears and ranking up for battle It's about heroic folk living in whatever the heck a floating Realm bubble is. A skirmish game with a bunch of little "common" models would be measly. But, with heroes, it's cool. Now that you pointed it out, I think that's what they are going for.

Andnore
09-05-2016, 19:24
Think you are on to something. AoS ain't about common folk living in quiet hovels. Grabbing spears and ranking up for battle It's about heroic folk living in whatever the heck a floating Realm bubble is. A skirmish game with a bunch of little "common" models would be measly. But, with heroes, it's cool. Now that you pointed it out, I think that's what they are going for.

And that gets us back to the issue a lot of people have with AoS: lack of context. A Spacemarine is impressive because we know how good this guy is. An Ork can tank 6 Guardsmen on his own? An Adeptus Astartes can tank 6 Orks by contrast.

AoS doesn't give us that. We have no idea what's normal in this setting, which makes the claims that anything is superior ring hollow.

"Show, don't tell", as the old saying goes. A greek myth where EVERY. ONE. is Hercules would feel pointless. Same thing with AoS.; we need to be shown what a bunch of common folk with spears can do to make the "Heroic" aspects of the setting matter.

Folomo
09-05-2016, 19:36
I always felt that the horde of peasants with pitchforks facing a demon is considerably more heroic that the choosen of the gods with the blessed sword of infinity and the indestructible armor of fate.

Cybtroll
09-05-2016, 19:42
Fun fact is that regardless of the general feeling and the company focus on "bigger, brighter, pricey" rules - wise AoS levels the playing field a lot.
Playing Clanrats I recognise immediately that "basic" troops are more efficient.
Unfortunately, it seems that the designers haven't told this to marketing guys yet...

vlad78
09-05-2016, 23:30
I always felt that the horde of peasants with pitchforks facing a demon is considerably more heroic that the choosen of the gods with the blessed sword of infinity and the indestructible armor of fate.

I second that.

Those orks are imho a really nice start for 40k orks conversions but absolutely terrible for a fantasy setting.

shinros
09-05-2016, 23:39
And that gets us back to the issue a lot of people have with AoS: lack of context. A Spacemarine is impressive because we know how good this guy is. An Ork can tank 6 Guardsmen on his own? An Adeptus Astartes can tank 6 Orks by contrast.

AoS doesn't give us that. We have no idea what's normal in this setting, which makes the claims that anything is superior ring hollow.

"Show, don't tell", as the old saying goes. A greek myth where EVERY. ONE. is Hercules would feel pointless. Same thing with AoS.; we need to be shown what a bunch of common folk with spears can do to make the "Heroic" aspects of the setting matter.

Yes they have done that its in the books I assume you read them? Stormcast strength wise is equivalent of a chaos warrior. Orruks can easily smash their shields lines I mean easily they did it in the recent book. Mannfred bluntly states he is stronger and faster than a stormcast lord celestant. So we know the context of how a vampire compares to a stormcast. They can also die of starvation, they feel fear, they have hopes dreams and wishes. That's the thing people think stormcast are as strong as a space marine they are not a space marine would most likely break their necks by slapping them. Hell they have been killed by marauders and the blood bound equivalent. Humans can still fight chaos they did it there was a story in the campaign book dealing with the candlemen lead by a warrior priest and a host of flagellants. When the stormcast were getting beaten back they swooped in for the rescue and support.

They had a recent battle with mannfred and they got slapped around by him he had some ghouls along with zombie ogor's they only won because nagash's curse was still in effect the whole vulnerable to faith in sigmar thing. He got the power of sigmar compels you via the warding lighting and got roasted a bit.

In all the fights so far strength wise they are equal to chaos warriors that's why sigmar made them because he saw what happened to the empire. He saw the ruinous powers empowering their soldiers so he did the same. A lord celestant was wrecked by a female tzeentch chaos sorceress. The normal humans are either remaking their ancestors lands from the old world or helping the stormcast fight chaos. Sigmar remade the witch hunters the order of ayzerheim are hunting down cults of chaos and make sure the taint of chaos does not spread in the recolonization efforts. The problem is each time they die the lose a portion of their personality and soul. Due to nagash being well nagash.

This has started to cause stormcasts to fear death somewhat and sigmar still has not found a way to fix it he is trying in the new book.

Folomo
09-05-2016, 23:55
Stormcast strength wise is equivalent of a chaos warrior.
Its still difficult to gauge how strong the Stormcast are. How strong is a Chaos Warriors? :confused:

Without a comparison with something you know, else its difficult to gauge strength. You need a baseline that anyone can understand.

Saying a sickle is equivalent to twelve knucktles doesn't tell me how expensive or cheap a Sickle is.

shinros
09-05-2016, 23:57
Its still difficult to gauge how strong the Stormcast are :confused:. How strong is a Chaos Warriors?

Without a comparison its difficult to gauge strenght. You need a baseline that anyone can understand.

A baseline? I am sure many people know how strong a chaos warrior is we all remember 8th right? Think along those lines yes they are powerful but not powerful enough where they cannot be killed by a normal man if you do the right strategy. Even when playing AOS my vampire lord easily murder's stormcast while my undead bog them down.

Now the ironjaws? Strength wise they are stronger than them hell their armor is made out of the chaos warriors they have killed that's pretty telling. Hell they have been killed by skaven all they are is slightly tougher and stronger male and female soldiers. With a bit more fancy gear.

Geep
10-05-2016, 03:13
Yes they have done that its in the books I assume you read them?
That's not a good solution. The game needs to grab me before I'm going to dive into the lore and read books, so squirrelling important information that helps ground the setting into books, rather than the main product, is a great way to make sure few people ever see it. Where's the outline of all of the factions, stating their history and culture? 20+ variants of sigmarine colour with bland descriptions of 'this chapter is the most fervent, this chapter is the most steadfast, this chapter has the most fashionable hair' is not up to scratch.

I'm someone who likes reading- but I have a lot of books to read already, from authors I know and like. GW writing has always been hit-and-miss, so that doesn't encourage me to read the new books, and what I see on the table sure doesn't impress me at all. There seems to be a terrible problem with capturing the attention of the audience. The marketing and entire launch just continues to seem botched.

The normal humans are either remaking their ancestors lands from the old world
I thought all humans from the Old World died? How are there ancestors? Wasn't the Old World thousands of years ago now? It makes no sense that they'd be trying to resurrect a culture they can't possibly remember. Obviously what little I thought I knew was wrong. Sometimes things like this encourage me to read up- but not here, because it just seems a very forced way to explain why they haven't remade the Empire line yet.

GrandmasterWang
10-05-2016, 03:27
I have read some of the lore. From what i have read a Stormcast is certainly more powerful than a Chaos Warrior. The Warscrolls support this.

Also lol at a Space Marine breaking a Stormcast's neck with a slap. Unarmed i'd put my money on the stormcast. They have a fair size advantage also. There are incidents of Marines getting beaten and killed by cultists/traitor guard etc so Stormcast losing to Bloodbound etc doesnt really mean anything imo.

The bit i found most interesting about your post shinros was the bit about a Stormcast being able to starve to death. Where is this from? I wasnt even aware they had to eat? I thought one of their biggest plusses for Sigmar was that they didnt need sustenance. If they need to eat (do they eat lots?) What do they eat? How does Azyr provide them with rations? How do they get more? Stormcast being hungry poses me a lot more questions about the setting than it answers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

shinros
10-05-2016, 04:18
I have read some of the lore. From what i have read a Stormcast is certainly more powerful than a Chaos Warrior. The Warscrolls support this.

Also lol at a Space Marine breaking a Stormcast's neck with a slap. Unarmed i'd put my money on the stormcast. They have a fair size advantage also. There are incidents of Marines getting beaten and killed by cultists/traitor guard etc so Stormcast losing to Bloodbound etc doesnt really mean anything imo.

The bit i found most interesting about your post shinros was the bit about a Stormcast being able to starve to death. Where is this from? I wasnt even aware they had to eat? I thought one of their biggest plusses for Sigmar was that they didnt need sustenance. If they need to eat (do they eat lots?) What do they eat? How does Azyr provide them with rations? How do they get more? Stormcast being hungry poses me a lot more questions about the setting than it answers

Its in the new audio drama they require sustenance they hunt and need to drink water of course not as much as a normal person bearing a god's essence and all. In the audio drama the water supply was tainted the astral templars and the human auxiliaries took to drinking the tree sap and the blood of hunted animals for sustenance. Plus the lord relicator killed/chased an animal because he does not want to entertain the idea of being the first stormcast to die of hunger. They hunt like normal people. If you compared liberators warscroll to a chaos warrior they are about the same in terms of stats. I will link it. Hell in the older books they make camps they do it plenty of times in the novels to rest. Even in the audio drama's.

The reason why they normally can keep fighting for so long is only if they have a lord relicator who can revitalize their strength via healing or the lord castellant with the warding lantern.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/warhammer-aos-liberators-en.pdf
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-chaos-warriors-en.pdf

They are about the same in all the realm gate novels I have read haven't really seen an instance of a chaos warrior being "Overpowered" by the strength of a stormcast yeah lord celestants may do it from time to time since they are the leader of the chamber but a warrior vs a liberator? pretty much the same. Right now they are just the order version of chaos warriors. Empowered humans but humans all the same.

You should of seen it in one novel nurgle rotbringers beating the crap out of them plus chopping off the lord castellants hand. Sigmar had to send the celestant prime because Torglug the nurgle chaos lord was so close to securing Alarielle he battered the stormcast and the sylvaneth. There is another case in the recent novel where the stormcast were defeated in the three duchies by a tzeentch chaos lord sorceress the stormcast led a slave rebellion but they all got murdered. Only the lord celestant "survived" everyone else had their souls trapped in the sorceress armor.
The chaos knights even gloat how they got beat.

shinros
10-05-2016, 04:31
That's not a good solution. The game needs to grab me before I'm going to dive into the lore and read books, so squirrelling important information that helps ground the setting into books, rather than the main product, is a great way to make sure few people ever see it. Where's the outline of all of the factions, stating their history and culture? 20+ variants of sigmarine colour with bland descriptions of 'this chapter is the most fervent, this chapter is the most steadfast, this chapter has the most fashionable hair' is not up to scratch.

I'm someone who likes reading- but I have a lot of books to read already, from authors I know and like. GW writing has always been hit-and-miss, so that doesn't encourage me to read the new books, and what I see on the table sure doesn't impress me at all. There seems to be a terrible problem with capturing the attention of the audience. The marketing and entire launch just continues to seem botched.

I thought all humans from the Old World died? How are there ancestors? Wasn't the Old World thousands of years ago now? It makes no sense that they'd be trying to resurrect a culture they can't possibly remember. Obviously what little I thought I knew was wrong. Sometimes things like this encourage me to read up- but not here, because it just seems a very forced way to explain why they haven't remade the Empire line yet.

In the fluff it said that sigmar grabbed some of their souls that were floating in the void after the destruction of the old world. I mean being a god its not all that hard to resurrect people sigmar has already done it before. GW also said that sigmar has told all of the humans in his realm of the empire and the heroes and their past. In the recent novel it was also revealed that sigmar has a grand libary of ALL of the events of the old world and of the empire because he told his people to learn from his mistakes and not to repeat them and its open to everyone.

GW said that's why the free people have not changed their look and standards because some are descendants or the want to emulate the heroes of the empire. Hell some just wish to take back their old lands that was created in the the mortal realms. Still looking at the new warrior priest model for warhammer quest I can't wait for the free guilds to get updated.

GrandmasterWang
10-05-2016, 04:47
Well looking at those linked warscrolls i will conceed the power level between liberators and chaos warriors seems similar. Funny when we were playtesting AOS the bloodwarriors (which i saw as khorne buffed chaos warriors) would always lose so i mentally put stormcast above them and therefore above chaos warriors.

That's kind of disappointing imo... there are far more chaos warriors than stormcast and chaos warriors unlike Stormcast do not require food and water. Sigmars forces are far more of an underdog than i first thought. I thought Sigmar had pure quality to make up for lack of quantity with the Stormcast but it seems Chaos can match for quality but far exceed in terms of quantity.

dalezzz
10-05-2016, 14:40
But hasn't it been over 10000 years since the warhammer world blew up? Trying to link it with the new setting is just ridiculous IMO , and just detracts from the good bits that AoS manages to create

Geep
10-05-2016, 18:06
In the fluff it said that sigmar grabbed some of their souls that were floating in the void after the destruction of the old world. I mean being a god its not all that hard to resurrect people sigmar has already done it before. GW also said that sigmar has told all of the humans in his realm of the empire and the heroes and their past. In the recent novel it was also revealed that sigmar has a grand libary of ALL of the events of the old world and of the empire because he told his people to learn from his mistakes and not to repeat them and its open to everyone.
So... souls from 1000 years ago are still around and shaping the human realms?
Or, if these are humans from the realms, why would they try and emulate a 1000 year old civilisation? They really should have their own culture- something interesting could be done with that- but it's not. GW have taken the lazy path, padding it out with quite poor explanations.
I like Talabheim and Talabecland- I have armies based on that. Random strangers throwing on those uniforms and pretending to share some of that history is just kind of... insulting really. I'm not going to feel any connection to these strangers just because they have a red and yellow fetish, and they've given up their own possibly interesting culture to emulate another- so there's nothing about them that is interesting.
Keeping your own culture, but acknowledging others as having decent aspects and adopting some of those aspects (particularly technology) is fine- but that's not what this is.

shinros
10-05-2016, 18:25
I think you missed the rest of my post stating that some just want to take back their old lands? That they made in the mortal realms. Or did you read one bit? Some share some ancestry from the people of the old world and want to recreate that. Some just lived in the mortal realms and fled to ayzerheim sharing no history from the people of the old world, when sigmar closed the doors. Some just want to fight chaos the point is its up to the player what kind of culture your human army have or what their purpose is.

No souls from 1000 years ago are not shaping the realm they are dead by now in the current fluff they are the current humans ANCESTORS. *sigh* Let's not forget it was sigmar that founded the empire hence why the default free people of ayzer have reikland colours in the grand alliance book. What would be the point of changing the colour of the uniforms by the guy who decided said colours in the first place? Or you prefer them to leave everything about the old world in the dust and pretend it did not exist? Treat it like its not canon?

I think its pretty great that some of the descendants want to remake lands from the old world lots of stories can be made about that I am already thinking up a backstory to prepare for a free guild force. Since it is stated that the recolonization efforts are underway.

The bearded one
10-05-2016, 21:54

http://m.imgur.com/Wppmlve?r

These are the heroes I can relate to :D

AoS is starting to work normal humans into the background a bit more than my initial impressions of the lore, though I'm still rather unsettled about the 'epic high fantasy' style of the narrative, which is all about gods of war clashing and incinerating hordes of marauders in a flash, while 'human auxiliaries' (I didnt even know the stormcast used any, though I suppose it's a decent start) are a rare curiosity. While similar circumstances can be found in places in WHF, there is a great difference in tone that makes it hard for me to make the jump - along with the lack of specificity about the layout of the AoS world.

Geep
11-05-2016, 09:54
I think you missed the rest of my post stating that some just want to take back their old lands? That they made in the mortal realms. Or did you read one bit? Some share some ancestry from the people of the old world and want to recreate that.
it's not that I missed it- it's that it makes no sense. 1000 years have gone by since their dead ancestors were resurrected- they established lands in the mortal realms, then lost them- and over all of this time their culture hasn't changed a tiny bit? They still have the same weapons, armour and technology in general?

No souls from 1000 years ago are not shaping the realm they are dead by now in the current fluff they are the current humans ANCESTORS.
Just like we still live in a feudal system and the greatest piece of technology we may one day see is a three-tooth plough? Things change- or more, things should have changed in order to be somewhat realistic.

*sigh* Let's not forget it was sigmar that founded the empire hence why the default free people of ayzer have reikland colours in the grand alliance book. What would be the point of changing the colour of the uniforms by the guy who decided said colours in the first place?
Sigmar united the Empire- he wasn't a fashion consultant. He didn't divide the provinces and didn't select their colours- traditional colours were around long before he was. Additionally, where is the progress? Clothes have changed considerably over the last 1000 years on Earth, and we haven't had our planet blow up and been resurrected on crazy, massive, magical lands.

Or you prefer them to leave everything about the old world in the dust and pretend it did not exist? Treat it like its not canon?
Frankly, yes. They blew up the Old World! It'd be much better to make a clean cut and have AoS be clearly it's own thing- right now it just seems like it's hanging onto the coat-tails of a once great game, as if it can steal some of that respect.
I get that this would take a lot of time model-wise- it'd be fine to have the free Fantasy army rules, and encourage people to use those models as GW slowly works towards the new models. Books, stories and artwork should be all new though- it's about trying to get us interested in the new setting, with its new cultures and unique, interesting things- not giving us constant reminders of the people who once lived on the 'boring fields of Averland' (or whatever that terrible GW quote was), and the excellent world that GW killed.

dalezzz
11-05-2016, 10:09
it's not that I missed it- it's that it makes no sense. 1000 years have gone by since their dead ancestors were resurrected- they established lands in the mortal realms, then lost them- and over all of this time their culture hasn't changed a tiny bit? They still have the same weapons, armour and technology in general?

Just like we still live in a feudal system and the greatest piece of technology we may one day see is a three-tooth plough? Things change- or more, things should have changed in order to be somewhat realistic.

Sigmar united the Empire- he wasn't a fashion consultant. He didn't divide the provinces and didn't select their colours- traditional colours were around long before he was. Additionally, where is the progress? Clothes have changed considerably over the last 1000 years on Earth, and we haven't had our planet blow up and been resurrected on crazy, massive, magical lands.

Frankly, yes. They blew up the Old World! It'd be much better to make a clean cut and have AoS be clearly it's own thing- right now it just seems like it's hanging onto the coat-tails of a once great game, as if it can steal some of that respect.
I get that this would take a lot of time model-wise- it'd be fine to have the free Fantasy army rules, and encourage people to use those models as GW slowly works towards the new models. Books, stories and artwork should be all new though- it's about trying to get us interested in the new setting, with its new cultures and unique, interesting things- not giving us constant reminders of the people who once lived on the 'boring fields of Averland' (or whatever that terrible GW quote was), and the excellent world that GW killed.

Perfect :)

shinros
11-05-2016, 13:42

If you read some of the black library books some of the cultures are unique there are some cultures that have influences from the old world here and there and there are some human cultures that would never exist in the old world case example where the ruling class and nobles are made up of wizards. Red and White is the default colour because sigmar was from reikland so of course the human free guilds of his realm would wear that colour. Even the witch hunters are slightly different now they are not known as the knights templar but the order of ayzerheim and are instrumental in the recolonization efforts. As I said in AOS the old world is like history of course this is something you don't like or agree with so I don't see this discussion going anywhere.

Everyone has their own opinions on things agree to disagree.

Geep
11-05-2016, 14:50
If you read some of the black library books some of the cultures are unique...
But this brings me back to the point I first made- this stuff needs to be front-and-centre to AoS. It needs model photos, drawings, detailed descriptions- all in the main rules. That's how you capture the imagination of your audience, and get them interested enough to buy and read the black library books. Admittedly this was an easier job in Fantasy, where you paid for a rulebook and the rulebook was able to fit in a glimpse of these defining characteristics for all races. AoS doesn't have that, as its main draw is a tiny, free, rules pamphlet. Maybe another free download is needed, outlining what makes each race interesting and unique? And the focus must be on new things- photos of 8th edition Empire soldiers in Talabecland colours, with a caption about how some AoS cultures are 'inspired by' past cultures makes collecting that faction about as exciting as collecting an army of LARPers.

Red and White is the default colour because sigmar was from reikland so of course the human free guilds of his realm would wear that colour.

As I said in AOS the old world is like history
Sorry, but this just doesn't follow. It's certainly not an 'of course!' kind of thing. It's been a long enough time that things can move on- and should. The 'world that was' isn't just history- it's ancient history, with cataclysmic events that have shaken things up in the meantime. Keep references to the old Empire as myths and legends- fine- but the attire of the humans, the cultures, the weapons of choice should all be things that distinguish AoS as something with its own identity.
It's probably clear that I don't like the game, but that's not relevant to what I'm trying to say here- the setting needs more identity; more that can be easily related to so that the heroes stand out as heroes- and it needs to hammer this image home to the audience, not hide it in books that only a fraction of players will ever read. We need to see the common people of all races.

Clearly, but this is pretty much the entire point of forums like this.

Captain Marius
11-05-2016, 20:07
Im pretty sure all the freeguild guys are the old Talabheim army, like it says on their banners... nice to see Karl Franz himself as the freeguild general on griffin too... Not that i care, they bothered to repaint the Devoted of Sigmar force, soon to get a codex ill bet, so I look forward to seeing what they do with the rest of the range!

Bingo the Fun Monkey
12-05-2016, 05:48
Hopefully, after they teansition al the old models they decided to keep, they will introduce newer original AoS native factions.

Spiney Norman
12-05-2016, 07:47
Sorry, but this just doesn't follow. It's certainly not an 'of course!' kind of thing. It's been a long enough time that things can move on- and should. The 'world that was' isn't just history- it's ancient history, with cataclysmic events that have shaken things up in the meantime. Keep references to the old Empire as myths and legends- fine- but the attire of the humans, the cultures, the weapons of choice should all be things that distinguish AoS as something with its own identity.
It's probably clear that I don't like the game, but that's not relevant to what I'm trying to say here- the setting needs more identity; more that can be easily related to so that the heroes stand out as heroes- and it needs to hammer this image home to the audience, not hide it in books that only a fraction of players will ever read. We need to see the common people of all races.

Clearly, but this is pretty much the entire point of forums like this.

Clearly it would've been great if GW had been able to release entirely new ranges for every AoS army during the course of the last year but I don't think that was remotely practical. The free guild force will no doubt hobble on with its existing range until it comes up for new models which could next month or in three years time, who knows. All things considered I think they've done a pretty good job with the dwarfs and orcs, roll on elves and humans in their own time!

Geep
12-05-2016, 17:05
I would never expect them to have made new models for the humans, 'regular' orcs and similar forces, but they need to have it be clear what's coming. Artwork has a much shorter production time than models- so where is the artwork of the coming armies? This stuff should be everywhere- the sooner they can break away from the 'world that was' and establish a visual style and theme for the new factions the better it will be for getting people invested in the AoS universe, heart and soul.
I'd understand this lack of content if GW was a new company, but it's not- it has had ages to work on this, it had the potential to have a real bombshell of a release with material to make a great, strong setting- and it's just not there.

These constant waves of weird, super-niche, ultra-powerful creatures is getting dull quickly, and all kind of meaningless without a clearer setting (and a setting that I don't need to buy and read too much for, just to get even a basic grasp of the idea- the old background section in the Fantasy books was great for this purpose).

LionSpirit
12-05-2016, 18:10
If you read some of the black library books some of the cultures are unique there are some cultures that have influences from the old world here and there and there are some human cultures that would never exist in the old world case example where the ruling class and nobles are made up of wizards. Red and White is the default colour because sigmar was from reikland so of course the human free guilds of his realm would wear that colour. Even the witch hunters are slightly different now they are not known as the knights templar but the order of ayzerheim and are instrumental in the recolonization efforts. As I said in AOS the old world is like history of course this is something you don't like or agree with so I don't see this discussion going anywhere.

Normally I'm just lurking around these parts, but I had to make an account to ask a few questions.

1. Are you aware that red and white are actually the colors of Talabheim?

2. At what point were witch hunters known as "the knights templar"?

Just curious.

Soulsmith
13-05-2016, 00:50
Does anyone who has some of the orruk brutes know if they would be magnetisable so they could have interchangeable weapons? I'm wondering whether the pauldrons are attached to the arms

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

shinros
13-05-2016, 01:04
Normally I'm just lurking around these parts, but I had to make an account to ask a few questions.

1. Are you aware that red and white are actually the colors of Talabheim?

2. At what point were witch hunters known as "the knights templar"?

Just curious.

1. White(prominently) and red is a part of the reikland colour's they may even use blue but in all cases they use mainly white and red. For some reason they gave white and red to Talabheim but whatever I am not GW. I don't decide these things. Hell people argue that Talabheim red is slightly darker but whatever. Still its one the things I find annoying personally. Like total war warhammer you play mainly reikland but they made it red/white for contrast possibly ask GW they thumbed it up eh.

http://vive.moy.su/_sh/10/1092_2.jpg

2. I personally call them knights templar but they are templars of sigmar. Their full name is the Holy order of the templars of sigmar.

Andnore
13-05-2016, 11:01
Does anyone who has some of the orruk brutes know if they would be magnetisable so they could have interchangeable weapons? I'm wondering whether the pauldrons are attached to the arms

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The "pauldrons" are attached to the back/hump armor, so magnetizing them should be possible...

Bingo the Fun Monkey
14-05-2016, 01:28
I would never expect them to have made new models for the humans, 'regular' orcs and similar forces, but they need to have it be clear what's coming. Artwork has a much shorter production time than models- so where is the artwork of the coming armies? This stuff should be everywhere- the sooner they can break away from the 'world that was' and establish a visual style and theme for the new factions the better it will be for getting people invested in the AoS universe, heart and soul.
I'd understand this lack of content if GW was a new company, but it's not- it has had ages to work on this, it had the potential to have a real bombshell of a release with material to make a great, strong setting- and it's just not there.

These constant waves of weird, super-niche, ultra-powerful creatures is getting dull quickly, and all kind of meaningless without a clearer setting (and a setting that I don't need to buy and read too much for, just to get even a basic grasp of the idea- the old background section in the Fantasy books was great for this purpose).
See Games workshop PLC vs Chapterhouse Studios.

WarsmithGarathor94
18-05-2016, 18:27
I'm hoping when they release more stuff for chaos atleast for slave to darkness they keep the current vibe it has going on

Captain Marius
18-05-2016, 19:50
While in glad to have all the reasonably priced grand alliance books for now, im keen to see which factions get a full army book. Flesh Eater Courts just invalidated a chunk of the Death book, but theyre awesome and fix summoning so bring on more i say!