PDA

View Full Version : Help Deciding Which IG Army to go with my Imperial Knights

Captain Ron
29-04-2016, 19:00
So I just picked up the Imperial Knight Renegade game and I looking to start a small Imperial Guard army to go with it and I was wondering what your opinions are. I am looking for something a little more unique than just the Cadian box set, so my options are:

Catachans = I don’t mind the normal models as much as some, plus I like the whole jungle theme and paint schemes.

Vostroyans = These are probably my least favorite models of the 4, but I do like the whole Cossack kind of theme to them. Plus I have never seen anyone actually field them.

Tallarns = I always liked these models, plus they have their own Rough Rider models, which is a major plus (but minus to my bank account).

Steel Legion = I always loved the look of these models and their heavy weapons teams. I don’t know that I would go full Steel Legion with all the transports or not.

Please cast your vote.

Thanks,

Zombie P
29-04-2016, 19:09
Practicality wise, I would advise Catachan because they have an active model range, but if you dont mind trawling ebay then Steel Legion all the way!

ZP

Angelwing
30-04-2016, 14:55
Steel legion, because I own some myself.

TheBearminator
01-05-2016, 00:32
Death korps veterans, because you get to paint some marvelous models, and their range is pretty much complete. Knights can look awesome in earth colors, check SDKFZ's imp knight for example.

Rightarmofthefreeworld
01-05-2016, 02:06
Steel legion are fairly common on ebay. However they are missing several options that you'll either have to convert or proxy. These include heavy flamers, flamers,melta guns,autocannons, and mortars. I use steel legion.

Dryaktylus
01-05-2016, 02:09
Voted for Vostroyans. Visually they'd fit best to the Knights as both share the same 'steampunkesque' look. Take them as infantry of the Household or PDF of the Knight World and you'll get a force that looks coherent and appealing.

If you don't like the miniatures though... . Well, on the release I wasn't that impressed but now they're my favorite range of the IG models.

Another option are the Solar Auxilia from Forge World.

Ghost42
01-05-2016, 15:59
Valhallans

Beppo1234
01-05-2016, 16:50
Steel legion are fairly common on ebay. However they are missing several options that you'll either have to convert or proxy. These include heavy flamers, flamers,melta guns,autocannons, and mortars. I use steel legion.

all of their missing options are easily converted using the heavy Bolter gunner

PinkN0ise
01-05-2016, 18:13
I voted Vostroyan Firstborn. They are actually a no-brainer for Imperial knights, if you read the fluff...

Vostroya was colonised long ago, during the Dark Age of Technology, when Mankind first reached the stars. The homeworld of the Vostroyan Firstborn is a frigid industrialised Hive World, covered in manufactories and towering arcology cityscapes, which has maintained strong ties with the Adeptus Mechanicus since the Age of Strife.

Beppo1234
02-05-2016, 18:22
My vote is Steel Legion, they look awesome and all their options are doable one way or another... here are some of mine:

I've also been messing around with some Mordians, they're lovely models and are very easy to paint IMO.... also look better in not so flamboyant colors:

Maidel
02-05-2016, 23:00
If you are prepared to pay lots of money on eBay/forge world, why limit yourself?

There are plenty of other armies, why not Elysium or praetorians?

NatBrannigan
03-05-2016, 11:56
Preatorians!

I’vemade mine with a very easy head swap. Some of the MaxMini pith Helmet heads onstandard Cadian bodies and legs. Just a quick trim of the “collar” on theCadian flak armour and you’re done. I’ve also given my Veterans kilts (Kromlechhighlander legs, plenty of different poses) to make them stand out. With theright colour scheme they look fantastic. And I love the imagery of a firingline of British infantry stubbornly standing firm as a horde or Deamons orTyranids comes swarming towards them.

“Don’tfire ‘till you see the reds of their eyes lads!”

Ofcourse when actually playing a game I then inevitiably fluff my dice rolls,kill a single enemy and then watch as my men are torn to shreds. But I digress!

Now asfor going with a Knight? Well there’s no more reason for them to gel with aKnight than any other regiment I’m afraid. Maybe you could make a giant greenstuff Pith Helmet for it!?