PDA

View Full Version : Will the realm gate wars end? What would come next?

KieranHayns
06-05-2016, 15:58
I was just wondering if people think that the "Realmgate Wars" will have an end.

At the moment most the stories are focused mainly on the Stormcasts and the whole striking back at chaos thing.

But will AOS move onto a new stage any time soon. Will the Realmgate wars end in some huge battle. If so what will happen next.

Will GW move onto another focused story or will the Mortal realms become more open as a new level of status quo begins. (Stormcasts kick Archaon out of the allpoints place. Thus shattering his huge advantage and the playing field of the AOS setting becomes a little more even)

What do people think?

I personally hope it does open up soon as the current lore seems a little to linear. It would be great for new stories for us to falll in love with will emerge. Such as a new Gotrek & Felix like series.

I also think that the diversity will help enrich and expand the background at a much faster rate.

Icarus81
06-05-2016, 17:05
That's probably what the summer campaign will be doing.

veterannoob
06-05-2016, 17:10
I think it certainly will end, probably before the end of the year. Maybe even this summer event. Now new factions have come out, they've assorted everything into 4 GA, I'm certain there's more to come. It's actually pretty refreshing IMO to not know what's coming, so it's a surprise. I don't mean like a rumor or leak, since it's so new and all bets are off with GW these days, who knows?:cool:
Lots of opportunity I hope they seize.

Kakapo42
06-05-2016, 22:48
Yes they will end. What comes next? Whatever new round of story railroading GW wants.

shinros
07-05-2016, 01:46
The new book is split among three point of views the tzeentch chaos sorceress, Gordrakk (The fist of gork who is AMAZING in the book) and the stormcast (which they have been developed well in the book).

I want more of that its the reason why I loved the first volume of the audio drama since it was about mannfred and Tarsus and the world around them.

KieranHayns
09-05-2016, 10:37
While i was able to accept the "There are as many elves as the plot requires" mentality I REALLY hope they dont do that with the mortal realms. By all means add new villages and secret temples etc etc. But i hope that at some point we will be able to look down on a collection of maps and relate whats going on in the realms to other events rather than a new land mass popping up everytime something new happens.

GrandmasterWang
09-05-2016, 13:20
The new book is split among three point of views the tzeentch chaos sorceress, Gordrakk (The fist of gork who is AMAZING in the book) and the stormcast (which they have been developed well in the book).

I want more of that its the reason why I loved the first volume of the audio drama since it was about mannfred and Tarsus and the world around them.
Thanks for that report. I have listened to Prisoner of the Black Sun (still need to finish the rest) and it was imo one of the better AOS releases.

Now Gordrakk i have not heard much about (besides the white dwarf and model info). How does he compare to Grimgor as a character (i hated Grimgor)? So part is from Gordrakk's view in first person?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

GrandmasterWang
09-05-2016, 15:39

Thanks for that report. I have listened to Prisoner of the Black Sun (still need to finish the rest) and it was imo one of the better AOS releases.

Now Gordrakk i have not heard much about (besides the white dwarf and model info). How does he compare to Grimgor as a character (i hated Grimgor)? So part is from Gordrakk's view in first person?

Choombatta
09-05-2016, 15:50
Since the books have been building towards it, I would assume the Realmgate Wars will end with the Battle for the Allpoints.

Dosiere
09-05-2016, 18:34
The end times, of course.

shinros
09-05-2016, 23:20

Gordrakk is the fist of gork he rides a maw crusher called chompa. He wields two axes called smasha and kunnin and it is said that gork and mork whisper to him through them(or he is just insane you pick) you see it in the book and he is remarkably should I say intelligent or kunnin? Enough to make the disguised tzeentch sorceror shudder when he tried to manipulate him. I will post a small bit.

Plus he bends the 4th wall a little on how chaos champions talk to too much you know the whole evil speech and sacrificing their souls and some such. This is roughly the line "You talk when you are not fighting, you talk when you are fighting and you talk after the fight all you do is talk, talk and talk FIGHT ME ALREADY!" Gork tells him to smash his axe in his head and then kunnin whispers to him that he has a weak spot in the side of his armor and to attack there to win.

There is also another part where the stormcasts try to lead him into a trap until Kunnin tells him to stop of course Gork is like HELL no keep going! Until he calms himself for a moment and says "Gork likes a good scrap but mork is about winning fights and I want to win!"

I should say he is the best parts of gork and mork. :)

Souppilgrim
09-05-2016, 23:26
What should come next, is Karl Franz waking up from his fevered dream about the end of the world to realize it never happened.

Tyranno1
10-05-2016, 00:05
What should come next, is Karl Franz waking up from his fevered dream about the end of the world to realize it never happened.

We can only hope.

Tokamak
10-05-2016, 00:40
Screw Karl, I hope it's me waking up from this dream.

lbecks
10-05-2016, 02:52
Probably when they release a new edition and the game will be called Warhammer: Not Age Of Sigmar.

GrandmasterWang
10-05-2016, 04:36
Gordrakk is the fist of gork he rides a maw crusher called chompa. He wields two axes called smasha and kunnin and it is said that gork and mork whisper to him through them(or he is just insane you pick) you see it in the book and he is remarkably should I say intelligent or kunnin? Enough to make the disguised tzeentch sorceror shudder when he tried to manipulate him. I will post a small bit.

Plus he bends the 4th wall a little on how chaos champions talk to too much you know the whole evil speech and sacrificing their souls and some such. This is roughly the line "You talk when you are not fighting, you talk when you are fighting and you talk after the fight all you do is talk, talk and talk FIGHT ME ALREADY!" Gork tells him to smash his axe in his head and then kunnin whispers to him that he has a weak spot in the side of his armor and to attack there to win.

There is also another part where the stormcasts try to lead him into a trap until Kunnin tells him to stop of course Gork is like HELL no keep going! Until he calms himself for a moment and says "Gork likes a good scrap but mork is about winning fights and I want to win!"

I should say he is the best parts of gork and mork. :)

Cool. Cheers for that. Sounds like a much better character than Grimgor with elements of Ghazghkull built in.

Is that from the Orruk battletomb?

shinros
10-05-2016, 04:44
Cool. Cheers for that. Sounds like a much better character than Grimgor with elements of Ghazghkull built in.

Is that from the Orruk battletomb?

It was in the new fury of gork novel. :)

There is another bit where the lord celestant after getting "somewhat" on the same side he looks at his back banner and see's a storm cast helmet that belonged to Davos Sliverbane from the lions of sigmar. Gordrakk saw him looking and it and said this.

Gordrakk: Good fighter him, took two chops with Smasha to get his head off!

Zephacleas: I'll let him know you said that, And that you have his helmet. He's been looking for it *with a forced cheerfulness*

GrandmasterWang
10-05-2016, 04:53
It was in the new fury of gork novel. :)

There is another bit where the lord celestant after getting "somewhat" on the same side he looks at his back banner and see's a storm cast helmet that belonged to Davos Sliverbane from the lions of sigmar. Gordrakk saw him looking and it and said this.

Gordrakk: Good fighter him, took two chops with Smasha to get his head off!

Zephacleas: I'll let him know you said that, And that you have his helmet. He's been looking for it *with a forced cheerfulness*
Interesting. So you would recommend the novel? I saw it and pondered a purchase. Orcs and Goblins are one of favourite factions. I love Skarsnik and it seems Gordrak has a bit of his 'kunnin'.

The price of the novel is passable. Currently only Call of Archaon is on my to buy list.

Sete
10-05-2016, 11:37
Hopefully less whinning in these threads that dont add anything to the discussion. ;)
Interesting character that Gordrakk.
I need to get my hands on that book.
Seems a likeable Warboss :)

GrandmasterWang
10-05-2016, 17:09
Hopefully less whinning in these threads that dont add anything to the discussion. ;)
Interesting character that Gordrakk.
I need to get my hands on that book.
Seems a likeable Warboss :)
There didn't seem to be any whining in this thread till you had a little whinge Sete.........

I'd like to see a size comparison with Gordrakk vs the new Mega boss. Hopefully Gordrakk is slightly larger as befitting his status as the big boss orruk! He looks like an absolute boss on the Maw Crusha though.

shinros
10-05-2016, 18:34
Interesting. So you would recommend the novel? I saw it and pondered a purchase. Orcs and Goblins are one of favourite factions. I love Skarsnik and it seems Gordrak has a bit of his 'kunnin'.

The price of the novel is passable. Currently only Call of Archaon is on my to buy list.

Yeah the three novels I would recommend is Call of Archaon(I read them when it was just e-shorts they have turned it into a whole book), Warbeast by Gav Thorpe (Loads of kislev nods in that one) and fury of Gork. I have been hearing good things about the pestelins novel so I am going to read that next. It has some interesting lore from what I heard. Personally I am waiting for a book that focuses on the Free Guilds of ayzer or the order of ayzerheim(witch hunters).

Oh and if you like undead I recommend the audio drama series the first volume.

veterannoob
10-05-2016, 18:50

actually from all sources I've heard Fury of Gork is the best novel so far and really good all around. It's next on the reading pile:)

Sete
11-05-2016, 10:03
There didn't seem to be any whining in this thread till you had a little whinge Sete.........

I'd like to see a size comparison with Gordrakk vs the new Mega boss. Hopefully Gordrakk is slightly larger as befitting his status as the big boss orruk! He looks like an absolute boss on the Maw Crusha though.

Oh rly? My mistake then. ;)
Obviously the campaign will end with the all points.
I reckon that things wont go as planned and some realm changing event might happen.
I would like to believe that somehow the all points will create a setting where each of the mortal realms will have a beachhead. A more familiar map.
Since all the realms feel a bit like a warp realm in the void.

GrandmasterWang
11-05-2016, 16:38
Oh rly? My mistake then. ;)

Yep your mistake. Please try and keep the whining to a minimum Sete [emoji1]

I honestly hope the Reamgate wars end asap. Once they are out the way they can hopefully focus on resolving the 'Slaanesh is missing' storyline. That is imo the most interesting plot thread going on in AOS and it also ties into Skaven and the Horned Rat so i really hope Gw devotes at least 2 books to really examine that thread.

I see the Horned Rats days in the 'big 4' as being limited... we shall see. Will their be a 'big 5'? Khorne especially doesnt seem like the sharing type. Nurgle and Tzeentch are having their toes trod on by the Horned one (decay/pestilens and complex schemes respectively).

If done well the Aelf/slaanesh (new Malerion model Archaon size please) /Horned rat storyline could be a home run.

Sigmar needs to capture the allpoints otherwise not much point to all his Stormcast hoopla.

Captain Marius
11-05-2016, 19:50
Im personally hoping they keep the Realmgate Wars going on for a fair bit longer and get some more factions into play! My only real complaint with the End Times is it was over in less than a year, stretching narratives out a bit longer gives me more of a chance to paint stuff! I'd happily wait years to see the Slaanesh story resolved, as its currently pretty much the only mystery in AoS and it gets people talking!

GrandmasterWang
12-05-2016, 03:18
Im personally hoping they keep the Realmgate Wars going on for a fair bit longer and get some more factions into play! My only real complaint with the End Times is it was over in less than a year, stretching narratives out a bit longer gives me more of a chance to paint stuff! I'd happily wait years to see the Slaanesh story resolved, as its currently pretty much the only mystery in AoS and it gets people talking!
Fair enough. I completely agree with you on the End Times. It all came out so fast i couldn't keep up.

The Slaanesh storyline they can take as long as they want so long as they do a good job.

KieranHayns
27-05-2016, 16:32
Well actually there was three posts about people wishing AOS was a dream before Sete posted so . . . Yeah

BattleofLund
27-05-2016, 23:57
Screw Karl, I hope it's me waking up from this dream.

As long as we are wishing, I wouldn't mind waking up if Victoria Principal was waiting too...

Kahadras
28-05-2016, 02:08
I was just wondering if people think that the "Realmgate Wars" will have an end.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that GW will wrap up the Realmgate Wars and move onto something else at some point. I'm not really that hopeful that GW will 'enrich and expand' the background. I'm expecting another massive war to kick off that involves all of the know AoS races and in which the fate of everything, once again, hangs in the balance.

Charistoph
29-05-2016, 05:13
I think it's pretty safe to assume that GW will wrap up the Realmgate Wars and move onto something else at some point. I'm not really that hopeful that GW will 'enrich and expand' the background. I'm expecting another massive war to kick off that involves all of the know AoS races and in which the fate of everything, once again, hangs in the balance.

It took them thirty years to move on from the Old World. They haven't moved on from 41,999 in forever in 40K.

In other words, wrapping up the Realmgate Wars will probably take quite some time. How long have they been doing the Sigmarines in the Fire Realm?

Kahadras
29-05-2016, 13:12
It took them thirty years to move on from the Old World. They haven't moved on from 41,999 in forever in 40K.

In other words, wrapping up the Realmgate Wars will probably take quite some time. How long have they been doing the Sigmarines in the Fire Realm?

IMO GW are trying something new with AoS. With both Warhammer and 40K the static background made it difficult to add things into the universe (I use the Space Marine Centurions as a good example of this). Age of Sigmar seems to be going for a single 'core' faction (Sigmarines) and then smaller factions that will be easy to replace every couple of years or so. It also allows GW to advance 'plot' pretty much at will so I don't honestly think they're going to hang on to the Realmgate Wars for any longer than they want to. As soon as it looks like people are getting bored of the current story they can drop it and start something new.

lbecks
29-05-2016, 13:39
I think they'll end, the story will expand/advance, and the next edition with the boxed starter set will be called something other than Warhammer: Age of Sigmar.

Yrch
30-05-2016, 06:11
I'd imagine that they use the Realmgate Wars story arc to introduce/reimagine the different armies and once this is done we will move to another arc.
So far all Realmgate Wars books have been accompanied by miniature releases fitting with the story, GW has talked about the overall thing as a "living story" and i really like the idea.
Reading the big books and trying to get a glimpse into the future or having a build up to an upcoming release (see the rumored alladrielle) is a lot of fun (and way better than current 40k...)

Greyshadow
30-05-2016, 07:04
Really interesting reading folks. I would expect we would see some significant changes to the background when the next edition comes out. GW now have tested their new game with the community and gained feedback that they can use to shape the next version. I am expecting a more human emphasis on the Stormcasts, a much more fleshed out version what the free people are up to and hopefully changing the Lizardmen back to corporeal warriors ( no more made-of-memories-and-starlight GW!!!)

For the people who have been keeping a close eye on the storyline, are you seeing any evolution of the background? Any ideas which way things will go?

Yrch
30-05-2016, 11:20
For the people who have been keeping a close eye on the storyline, are you seeing any evolution of the background? Any ideas which way things will go?

i haven't read the novels, only the Campaign books, GA books and Battletomes but so far:

Sigmar is no allmighty super nice-guy God-King and Azyrheim isn't a paradise for everyone.
There is still internal conflict between races in Azyrheim but they know they have to work together to survive against Chaos so there is room for Civil war or armies turning aside from Order
Sigmar is know for being harsh when it comes to corruption inside his city and he will destroy everyone and everything that shows a slight hint to corruption.

Stormcast aren't soulless killing machines, every one of em remembers their past lives and they know why they were chosen by Sigmar, whats their duty and all that, but every death and every reforging they loose parts of their memory or will become less human, so there is indeed room for corrupted/chaos Stormcasts or some of them going crazy due to the constant wars they fight.

We hear rumors about new Sylvaneth and a new Alarielle Mini and this could come with the next Big book. Current state is that Alarielle, goodess of the realm of life, is going through a metamorphosis and she will be reborn as she has been so often.

Also there are rumor of Slaanish making a big comeback, but so far he's been mentiond only very breefly

Some spoilers that hint to coming stuff:

- Torglug, one of Nurgles best generals has been killed while hunting Allariels and his soul has been ripped away by Sigmar, hes reborn as a Knight-Venator.

- Alarielle is in metamorphosis, her current form is that of a seed and shes carried by the Hallowed Knights. They are chased by Nurgles followers as Grandfather tries to get her soul and corrupt her.
She has been going through several changes over the past centuries so this is nothing uncommon, but it's know that her renewed form is different. Before the Age of Chaos she had no physical body, everything was at peace so a more spiritual form was used to watch over the realsm of life so the next form could indeed be the rumored "Alarielle riding giant bug" model as this would be more fit to go to war.

- now my favourite so far: Vandus Hammerhead, the "main character" and leader of the Hammers of Sigmar (hes the dude on dracoth in the AoS Basic Game), who not only opend the first Realmgate with his Stormhost, found and returned Ghal Maraz and was overall portaied as the super-duper (yaaaawn) leader guy was killed facing Archaon. Instead of being reborn Archaon grabbed his soul the moment it was torn from his body so no reforging for him. It's not know if his soul has been destroyed, of if Archaon has captured his soul using his then newly gained powers thanks to a Trinket that houses the soul of a Lord of Change. So either Vandus is gone, or his soul is trapped and he may return later in a corrupted form.

I'd say if you strictly want to get to know stuff about AoS in general, read Battletomes and Novels, if you are more interested into possible future releases and how the world will change the Big campaign books are your way to go as they seem so serve as a setup for stuff to come.

KieranHayns
31-05-2016, 11:17
I dont know if they will continue to run with this but its also worth noting that they havent released any named character models that arent gods or immortals. With the exception of Gorddrak (But even that model is part of a generic kit) However there have been plenty of named characters such as Vandus and Khorgus Kul however the models that represent them have always been generic versions. This would certainly make it easier to advance the plot. However i do hope that they can work in some special character models somehow.

KieranHayns
31-05-2016, 11:26
It never said that Archaon grabbed his soul. He just put his hand in the lightning and his dark energies and the celestial energies coming into contact made it spark.

Its already been mentioned in Godbeast that vandus is still being reforged.

However there is always a chance that Archaons contact may have a prolonged effect on Vandus.

Charistoph
31-05-2016, 16:42
IMO GW are trying something new with AoS. With both Warhammer and 40K the static background made it difficult to add things into the universe (I use the Space Marine Centurions as a good example of this). Age of Sigmar seems to be going for a single 'core' faction (Sigmarines) and then smaller factions that will be easy to replace every couple of years or so. It also allows GW to advance 'plot' pretty much at will so I don't honestly think they're going to hang on to the Realmgate Wars for any longer than they want to. As soon as it looks like people are getting bored of the current story they can drop it and start something new.

In terms of a book series, yeah, it will probably be a bit limited. However in terms of letting go of the concept of Realmgate Wars, I think they will be with us for quite some time, even if the game significantly changes back to being a more Fantasy-style army build.