PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Salamanders

Draconis
08-05-2016, 14:33
Looking to start up a small space marine army, Salamanders but I cannot stand standard tac marine models. ANy suggestions on customizations? Do you think the CSM vengeance models would work if I painted the demons to look like decoration, as drakes? Open to all ideas, and much appreciated for the help.

Sotek
08-05-2016, 21:00
What about heresy era armor?

Draconis
08-05-2016, 21:07
I can do that, but I might as well buy the FW salamander models :) Which might still be the best way, just a bit expensive.

mightymconeshot
09-05-2016, 16:26
I would suggest a look at Spellcrow. They make many conversion bits and it looks like they a complete conversion for Salamanders (legs, torso, shoulder pads, heads, special weapons, plus decorations like crest and lizard capes). It is under the Space Knights section.

Draconis
09-05-2016, 16:43
Those look awesome! I'd like to see a fully built one first though. Gonna be hard to find that.

Lord Damocles
09-05-2016, 18:21
...Don't take Tactical Squads then..?

Draconis
09-05-2016, 18:27
...Don't take Tactical Squads then..?

Ok, retcon. I dont like standard space marine models. I ordered those spellcrow models instead. I really like their looks, and I really like their thunderhammers.

TheBearminator
10-05-2016, 08:40
Salamanders are nice. Among the good guys factions of the Empire. I played them when they came out in the Armageddon campaign along with black templars and speed freaks.

Draconis
10-05-2016, 13:07
Salamanders are nice. Among the good guys factions of the Empire. I played them when they came out in the Armageddon campaign along with black templars and speed freaks.

Them being the good guys really drove me towards them as well as when I found out a few more things, like they are based on dragons and not salamanders, the original name of the 18th was Dragon Knights, and they deal with tons of flamers and meltas (as many as you can actually fit into a marine army, which doesn't seem to be all that much). They are basically like Paladins or dragon slayers from other games such as D&D

Dr.Clock
11-05-2016, 02:28
Yup - Sallies are definitely my pick for Loyalists... no other Legions/Chapters even come close for me...

You will get super good mileage out of just buying a box of Saurus warriors for your bitz box IMO. As 'added armour plates' the head crests and shields work well, and then the spear tips and ccws for a more 'spiky' non-standard look without being 'corrupt' are good as well.

Glad you found Spellcrow - you aren't likely to be disappointed there.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Draconis
11-05-2016, 12:55
Yup - Sallies are definitely my pick for Loyalists... no other Legions/Chapters even come close for me...

You will get super good mileage out of just buying a box of Saurus warriors for your bitz box IMO. As 'added armour plates' the head crests and shields work well, and then the spear tips and ccws for a more 'spiky' non-standard look without being 'corrupt' are good as well.

Glad you found Spellcrow - you aren't likely to be disappointed there.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Oh yeah, wow that's a good idea. Question though, with spell crow, should I go CSM arms and bolters, or regulars? What do you think? I found a page that did a review of Spellcrows Salamanders, but they went with the more chaotic heads, and CSM arms and bolters, which have more detail.

*Edit. Wow, am I missing something or did they take all lizardmen off the site?

blackcherry
11-05-2016, 13:26
*Edit. Wow, am I missing something or did they take all lizardmen off the site?

They have been renamed 'Seraphon' as part of the AoS changeups. Here's a link (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer?N=102295+4294965337&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440002a-flat) to the products page. Hopefully it should work for you Draconis :)

Draconis
11-05-2016, 14:25
They have been renamed 'Seraphon' as part of the AoS changeups. Here's a link (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer?N=102295+4294965337&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440002a-flat) to the products page. Hopefully it should work for you Draconis :)

Much appreciated :)

Another question, what are the colors, more specifically, the types of green used on the salamanders.

Dr.Clock
13-05-2016, 16:36
You're probably gonna want three greens, and a few washes.

One green would be 'base' - I'd probably buy Waaagh Flesh (heretical though it sounds... maybe Castellan or Caliban, however, depending).

Then probably 'Warpstone Glow' for your first pass, then Moot Green for highlight.

After that I'd knock it all back with a green ink... probably followed by some armour wash (Nuln Oil) for black lining.

This is all a 'best guess' - I still have a pot of Emerald Green from over 10 years ago that I use on Sallies : P

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Draconis
13-05-2016, 23:36
:) Much appreciated, but I think I have it covered. Sometime, you ought to try out drakenhof nightshade as a wash to your green models. It's amazing, but also because blue is one of the two base colors of green. I retard mine with some pledge floor care and never look back.

Dr.Clock
15-05-2016, 00:05
Yeah - makes sense... It's been a long time since I painted Sallies, but I find I use blue ink alot more than black for all sorts of things. Right now I'm painting Genestealer Hybrids, for instance, and their 'ribbed armour' is pretty much just blue ink over brown for a cool shiny blue-black.

Cheers,

E