PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else excited for Flesh Eater Courts?

ArtificerArmour
10-05-2016, 19:30
So, at risk of sounding like:
1) Gw fanboy
2) AoS apologist
3) 8th/9th ed troll
4) All the above

There's actually a teeny tiny release before Silver Tower - the Flesh Eater Courts/ ghouls. And it's got me buzzing.

I've never played undead, they never appealed to me. But one of the more interesting bits were Ghouls and their Strigoi masters. The things that have perked my interest:

1) A whole new take on the flesh eater courts, a sham royalty of maddened vampires

2) new characters made from existing kits - true, I'd have liked some new character models but the ability to create heroes with plastics is exciting, isn't it? A proper project to get your teeth into!

3) Unique buffs and mechanics, granted by heroes - open to abuse? or characterful avoidance of the much malligned summoning mechanic?

4) A totally new unit Flayers made by kitbashing the parts of an existing plastic kit - alot of people see this as lazy, but more characterful units is a good thing? Keeping costs down and using existing kits to bring us more releases like this is a good move, right?

So thoughts? Any one else looking forward to it?

GrandmasterWang
10-05-2016, 19:38
Not really but then ghouls and zombies have never really been my thing even though i have some for VC. I would never want to field a full army of them (personal taste and all that)

The best thing about this release is a 'Start Collecting' kit for them. Now that is something to get excited about! Especially if you are new to them. These kits represent great value for GW product.

The Ghoul King on Terrorgheist kit is fantastic! I think it is one of GW's best and makes a great centrepiece. He will make a great leader for any flesh eater army.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

theunwantedbeing
10-05-2016, 19:39
What the hell are Flesh Eater Courts?

*checks the GW website*

Oh!

I like how they're fleshing out the fluff some more.
But there aren't any new models.... :cries:

Art Is Resistance
10-05-2016, 19:41
If the Battletome is as strong in story and background as Ironjawz, then I may have found my second army....
TBH, apart from the Stormcasts (which I feel need deepening with other styles of units than just the Eternals) I've loved every release - just had to wait for my Orruks!

ArtificerArmour
10-05-2016, 19:49
True, it is rather dissapointing there's not a single new sculpt, but!

A new unique unit, 3 new hero choices all from available kits is pretty good going. Especially from the super cheap starter box.

Imagine the possibilities for already existing small armies. Imagine cult of slaanesh or something similar!

dalezzz
10-05-2016, 19:56
Yeah I like the models but there's not really anything to "look forward to " as such , suppose the new crypt horror/ vargeist beast is pretty good , not sure why anyone would complain about it ?is it lazy ? Maybe , but I've never seen one before :)

LotusCorgi
10-05-2016, 20:02
I'm a long time undead player. Not a fan of AOS at all. I do like the new boxed set. But, like most factions of AOS, what is the real motivation for the undead now? And anyway what do ghouls and ghasts eat nowadays? I don't know if there are any people around to feast on, unless you count the bloodguys and I think that they already canabalize each other. Sigmarines certainly do not look tasty. The old undead faction had a great motivation: the thirst for blood and glory! But now Vlad could just move next door to the awesome blood geysers and not have to bother. I would have enjoyed this release far better in regular old warhammer. Nagash always aimed to rule a world of the dead, a world were nothing moved save he willed it. Well now doesn't he? Isn't the realm of death just that? He has his hand and hat back, why leave the house?

Art Is Resistance
10-05-2016, 20:05
That's what I'm hoping this book does - gives some sort of reason for the Flesh Eater Courts - their motivation, their aims - we got that in the other Battletomes so fingers crossed!

ArtificerArmour
10-05-2016, 20:11
Exactly, it's a court - we assume there are kings and their whims.

Like, proper, undead kings. AoS needs some good empires of mad kings and their undead underlings doing their bidding.

Art Is Resistance
10-05-2016, 20:12
The teaser image gave several questions - all point to a strong story moving forward - something to look forward to!

ArtificerArmour
10-05-2016, 20:49
That, and the return of Abhorash!

Kyriakin
10-05-2016, 21:56
Also, the Mourngul from Forgeworld is a thematic match:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Mourngul?_requestid=36051275

MOMUS
10-05-2016, 21:58
This thread is only worth reading if you also follow AA on twitter as @dangerous_joe

The bearded one
10-05-2016, 22:21
Ghouls putting up a mockery of a royal court for their vampiric masters is a theme that has been referenced in Vampire Counts fluff in the past. Seeing them bundled together as a themed army is a pretty neat idea, especially because the ghouls have always felt a little bit seperate from undead proper.

DeathCat147
10-05-2016, 22:26
This thread is only worth reading if you also follow AA on twitter as @dangerous_joe

Indeed, well worth following :shifty:

GrandmasterWang
11-05-2016, 02:28
The mourgul is a fantastic mini.

Lore wise i hope they distance the ghouls and their leaders from Nagash and the vampires.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

ArtificerArmour
11-05-2016, 03:09
Indeed, well worth following :shifty:

I think that misrepresents me as a Troll, when I actually an excited for flesh eater courts. Of course, I am disenchanted with the barrage of negativity from (some people on) these very forums.

I never liked the mechanics of ghoul summoning (they're not dead...), but I do like the idea of bolstering units by one or two a turn rather than "oh just summoned a necromancer, who just summoned vampire who summoned a terrogrist".

MOMUS
11-05-2016, 06:26
I think that misrepresents me as a Troll...

We're not calling you a troll at all my good fellow, we're just saying that you could possibly being currently living under a bridge, trying to evade Norwegian hunters, possess regenerative powers and that (pending a Jeremy Kyle DNA test) your father is Throgg. :p

My AoS group is really excited about this undead stuff, I like it as it adds a bit more flavour and personality to the death faction that typically only came from the vampires and their interaction with the empire in 8th.

Kyriakin
11-05-2016, 09:48
The mourgul is a fantastic mini.

Looking at is warscroll on the FW website, they look pretty tough to kill too (ten wounds, ignore 50% of mortal wounds, healing ability, ignore rend, etc.).

hirvaan
16-05-2016, 08:38
Are there.... TK ruins in a desert on lower left and upper left side of this map? or is it just wishful thinking

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xUUQV9nhlTM/VzluUyV2z2I/AAAAAAAAAzU/jKCeKu9gdNkZ9rAdY4MUJxs2q32KJDriwCLcB/s1600/age%2Bof%2Bsigmar%2Bartwork%2Bflesheaters%2Bcourts %2Bmap%2Bmaps%2Bfantasy.jpg

Andnore
16-05-2016, 10:22
Are there.... TK ruins in a desert on lower left and upper left side of this map? or is it just wishful thinking

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xUUQV9nhlTM/VzluUyV2z2I/AAAAAAAAAzU/jKCeKu9gdNkZ9rAdY4MUJxs2q32KJDriwCLcB/s1600/age%2Bof%2Bsigmar%2Bartwork%2Bflesheaters%2Bcourts %2Bmap%2Bmaps%2Bfantasy.jpg

Looks like TK-style stuff, which might be explained by Neferata, Abhorash and Nagash all hailing from there. Still salty about the TK line getting axed when it'd make more thematic sense than the VC undead.

Teurastaja
16-05-2016, 10:22
I bought this box for my 9th Age VC army. It's really good if someone plays Strigoi bloodline.

Bob Hunk
16-05-2016, 10:51
Yes, I've recently bought into AoS with Undead and the idea of doing something ghoul-themed. So the timing of this couldn't have been more perfect for me! :)

Dr.Zahnfleisch
16-05-2016, 11:02
Not really. I have always been a sucker for strigoi themed armies, but I never felt that GW's ghouls, Varghulf and particularly the monstrous infantry looked good. I mean, put them next to GW skeletons and they look like they've been made by Mantic:P

Same goes for the Strigoi: They just stapled him on top of the Terrorgheist. I was really hoping for new sculpts to come out, but alas it's only reboxings.

I do have to admit that I like the kitbashing approach and I wonder if more units will get a similar redesign.

Teurastaja
16-05-2016, 13:23
Dr.Zahnfleisch, do you know any good alternative for Varghulf? Mantic's Lykanis looks pretty terrible.

mdauben
16-05-2016, 13:34
I kind of like the idea of the Flesh Eater Courts. The problem is I've never been a huge fan of the GW ghouls miniatures. I actually like the Mantic ghouls except for the extremely limited poses. Is anyone else doing good plastic ghouls?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tichey
16-05-2016, 14:58
The big army box looked great. Was never a huge ghoul fan but I was more tempted by this than anything iv seen in a long time.

blackcherry
16-05-2016, 15:05
I kind of like the idea of the Flesh Eater Courts. The problem is I've never been a huge fan of the GW ghouls miniatures. I actually like the Mantic ghouls except for the extremely limited poses. Is anyone else doing good plastic ghouls?

Sadly no - GW and Mantic are probabky the only companies making them in plastic. If you don't mind metal, Heresy Miniatures do a great set.

mdauben
16-05-2016, 15:30
Sadly no - GW and Mantic are probabky the only companies making them in plastic. If you don't mind metal, Heresy Miniatures do a great set.
Thanks! I'll have to check them out.

Memnos
16-05-2016, 19:10
The story about the heroic king and his larger than life court battling monsters in the name of chivalry and honour is amazing.
He's just crazy, a vampire living in a mad world.

Honestly, in a world conquered by chaos, giving in to madness and believing you're part of a great and noble court of plenty rather than a carrion and filth devouring monster living in ruins sounds great.
Just give in to the madness and you're no longer living in abject misery.

Banville
16-05-2016, 23:33
The story about the heroic king and his larger than life court battling monsters in the name of chivalry and honour is amazing.
He's just crazy, a vampire living in a mad world.

Honestly, in a world conquered by chaos, giving in to madness and believing you're part of a great and noble court of plenty rather than a carrion and filth devouring monster living in ruins sounds great.
Just give in to the madness and you're no longer living in abject misery.

Is this a metaphor for AoS in general...?

Andnore
16-05-2016, 23:48

... should have seen that one coming from a mile away, I suppose.

Honestly, I would have preferred if they'd released something more in tune with the Nagash/Mortarch/Morghast style of models than this Ghoul re-release. Still, I always liked the idea of an entire army of degenerate cannibals being led by a degenerate vampire that VC 6th Ed introduced to me.

mdauben
17-05-2016, 00:18
Honestly, I would have preferred if they'd released something more in tune with the Nagash/Mortarch/Morghast style of models than this Ghoul re-release.
Oh, yeah! I'd love if they expanded the undead forces based on the End Time undead figures. I really like those.

Memnos
17-05-2016, 07:29

Just give in to the madness already.

malisteen
18-05-2016, 13:25
This isn't really the undead subfaction I'm most interested in seeing expanded. That would be the deathrattle/skeleton bunch - although there it would be hard to just make up new units from kit-bashes of existing boxes. Still, the expansion of the undead alliance with new fluff and formations is very welcome, our options were (and still are, if we're being honest) a little thin on the ground.

As for the tomb kings looking stuff on the one map, that's not the only hint at tomb kingsesque forces still existing in AoS. Iirc, there was even specific mention of skeleton chariots somewhere. I really feel the ditching of the entire TK line was more about getting rid of the models than the concept. That entire line was either finecast, or else based on the old skeleton proportions.