PDA

View Full Version : Chillhammer?

Urgat
11-05-2016, 19:08
I've been hearing about chillhammer sets of rules for a while now. I'm curious, can anybody point me to such rules or a forum dealing with them? Google proved quite unhelpful this time.
edit: talking about a 8th ed version here.

Vazalaar
11-05-2016, 20:35
I think chillhammer is just to describe how some people play Warhammer. I.e not to focussed on balance or WAAC.

The bearded one
11-05-2016, 21:27
Chillhammer is a myth. A government conspiracy. Wargaming is serious bussines.

Smooth Boy
11-05-2016, 21:27
Yeah chillhammer generally just refers to people playing for fun or having a narrative, ie. how it was designed. For rules maybe just look for a simplified ruleset, does 'one page Warhammer' still exist?

Urgat
11-05-2016, 22:46
I think chillhammer is just to describe how some people play Warhammer. I.e not to focussed on balance or WAAC.

Yep, I know it's meant like that, but it's generally associated with a simplified , let's call it "beer and pretzel" ruleset, stuff like that, it's what I'm interested in. I have my own set of houserules, but I'd like to compare, it's highly likely some people have thought up rules that would interest me, or that are better than what I came up with with my friends. If I could find a community with a mindset to match, that'd be a nice thing too.

Folomo
11-05-2016, 22:54
Some people mentioned they liked some of the changes in T9A and imported them to their houserules (like miscast problems depending on amount of magic involved). Most things are compatible, so the change would be quite easy to add.
http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?simple-page/

Alaska
12-05-2016, 00:51
Yep, I know it's meant like that, but it's generally associated with a simplified , let's call it "beer and pretzel" ruleset, stuff like that, it's what I'm interested in. I have my own set of houserules, but I'd like to compare, it's highly likely some people have thought up rules that would interest me, or that are better than what I came up with with my friends. If I could find a community with a mindset to match, that'd be a nice thing too.

That sounds rather opposite mindset of chillhammer to me. I have been part of chillhammer group over years(6th ed). And due to that casual tendency, we just take existing rules as it is. While some crazy ideas come to our minds, partly by humor, we don't take serious course of developing own rules. Now that you mentioned it, I also became curious about this chillhammer rules existence ;)

GrandmasterWang
12-05-2016, 03:18
I've been hearing about chillhammer sets of rules for a while now. I'm curious, can anybody point me to such rules or a forum dealing with them? Google proved quite unhelpful this time.
edit: talking about a 8th ed version here.
Well i am probably to blame here.... i must say i smiled when i saw the topic title :)

I am usually the one who posts about Chillhammer (8th with some chilled additions). I just use it to describe my groups particular brand of 8th. I have posted a couple (a tiny proportion) of additional units we play in Chillhammer on the eefl forum (swamp troll, fire elemental etc) but i have never actually posted anywhere the full set of house rules we use anywhere which is why they cannot be found. [emoji1] I will slowly (very slowly as i'm lazy) be posting more and more Chillhammer/8th additional units on the eefl forums for anyone who has the minis and wants to include them in their games.

What people say about forging the narrative and a more relaxed mindset for Chillhammer is true. Im sure many groups round the world have their own versions of Chillhammer which they play.

One of the biggest changes for us is that we do away with the magic phase as it was in 8th completely with power dice generation and instead all magic is cast as bound spells which both speeds up the game drastically and improves balance (for us). We also curb the more extreme OP 8th units for example in Chillhammer the Skull Cannon is a 175 point pick and the WOC Daemon prince has stubborn instability like the Daemons one.

I agree it would be great to have a place to discuss all the varied and wonderous house rules different groups use for their own flavour of 'Chillhammer'

We are probably more chilled than most as round bases and other shapes are also acceptable in Chillhammer as these units have an agreed upon facing to enable them to interract with the rest of the fantasy units with no issues. With a relaxed group there are no arguments about such petty little things ans everything flows smoothly and is easily resolved.

A couple quick examples of Chillhammer unit additions.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160512/82ff38c498cb94eab75bc05f7327cff1.jpg
Crystal Golem - 50 points

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160512/8c843c490bf137a17a055924752877dc.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160512/f0f688f4dda7cdee7d0d11ae9a816cc0.jpg
Ancestral guardian - 75 points

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160512/207990e82420f1767fe75dfa524234a9.jpg
Fire elemental - 175 points

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160512/0f55721381f2cb8f8fe647363375e7c8.jpg
Tilean Colussus - 275 points

Miniatures from all manufacturers are accepted.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

GrandmasterWang
12-05-2016, 03:21
Just to say we do actually focus on balance but are the opposite of WAAC. 90+ % of our battles are extremely close and many come down to the wire. However we focus on balance AND flavour despite relaxing all the army book restrictions. Want to take me on with an all character army in Chillhammer.... no worries.... i'll field an army of the the same points (we always do equal points unless a special scenario) that should provide a nice, fun, balanced battle.

SilentHunter
12-05-2016, 04:32
Chillhammer is a myth. A government conspiracy. Wargaming is serious bussines.

Seeing websites devote time to competitive tournament lists explaining every detail is full cringe.

Urgat
12-05-2016, 05:46
Thanks for the answers people! Not exactly what I expected, but interesting nonetheless :)
One Page Warhammer is kind of what I have in mind, but it's a tad too extreme, it's like a completely new game :p
The EELV forum seems nice, but it doesn't seem to have much traffic :(

GrandmasterWang
13-05-2016, 02:19
Thanks for the answers people! Not exactly what I expected, but interesting nonetheless :)
One Page Warhammer is kind of what I have in mind, but it's a tad too extreme, it's like a completely new game [emoji14]
The EELV forum seems nice, but it doesn't seem to have much traffic :(

I like the eefl forum. It is a forum that was i think just started by a group of friends in New York who like 8th edition fantasy. Originally i think it was just for them to talk about their games/campaigns etc. While it is a small forum it has imo a good friendly vibe to it with none of the 'firefights' of a place like this.

One page warhammer does sound extreme... that' 25% of the rules length of AOS.

blackcherry
16-05-2016, 14:02
Well if you condense things and excluded stuff like the spell charts, you probably could cut WFB's rules down to two pages. Mordheim's summary chart used to be two pages with very large writing and images and WFB isn't much different mechanically...

Urgat
16-05-2016, 20:23
Well if you condense things and excluded stuff like the spell charts, you probably could cut WFB's rules down to two pages. Mordheim's summary chart used to be two pages with very large writing and images and WFB isn't much different mechanically...

I've had plans to do that for years, still haven't gotten round to do it. I did find something like that (http://nerdhammer.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/warhammer-8th-ed-summary-v11-no-bg.pdf) on the web, but it's very incomplete, unfortunately.

Horace35
17-05-2016, 09:35
That is basically how I taught my Mrs to play. Then we slowly introduced the other aspects of the game (magic, weapon rules, psychology). Easier to pick things up when you are actually playing/doing things.

I never found the ruleset needed simplifying for beer and pretzel play (except TLoS) because anything getting too technical we just settled with common sense

captaincortez
17-05-2016, 10:18
I can also recommend the EEFL forum. Great painting section, discussions of rules, scenarios. The forum is only maybe 10 months old and new members are still joining every day.

It is a place for people who enjoy the fun aspect of warhammer rather than Waac play.

EEFL!
EEFL.freeforums.net