PDA

View Full Version : Eldar worth the wait?

Ice_Reaver
11-07-2006, 09:00
when i first saw the Eldar batallion at my local hobby shop i knew they were something special after building my own successful space marine chapter and looking through all the other armies it came down the Imperial Guard and the Eldar. I didn't know what exactly the Eldar were all about then and i looked through the books at the fluff and i didnt want to settle for "lesser" defenders of humanity, when i already had a legion of the greatest aside from the adeptus custodes. So in other words what made me like Eldar so much was their constant battle for survival which they held their own in.

But enough chit-chat of why i like the Eldar, i must raise the question is it better for me to wait a few months for their new codex and models to come out? i've heard their suppose to be incredible and i would like to know if i should wait for that.

Unseeing Eye
11-07-2006, 09:03
Better to wait. Both for the new models and so that you don't have to rework your army after the rules are changed.

Jedi152
11-07-2006, 09:11
I'd wait - the new models look amazing, and there's a good chance the new battleforce will contain the amazing new wraithlord.

Scythe
11-07-2006, 09:27
I am not that impressed by the Eldar models I have seen so far (dire avangers and wraithlord look decent, but I don't really like the other aspect warriors or the war walkers), but I would wait anyway. The new dex is just a few months away, so waiting a few months for (possibly) better models and rules is not too bad. You could always buy some models you really like anyway in the meantime, but just don't plan anything yet.

Ice_Reaver
11-07-2006, 09:33
I'm convinced, waiting it is. thank you everyone for the advice.

Shield of Freedom
11-07-2006, 09:37
If you plan on having any of these in your army, these are "safe" buys. Meaning the models won't change after the new codex.

Wave Serpent, Standard Eldar Transport.
Falcon, Infantry fighting vehicle, similar to a Razorback but with better armor and guns.
Guardians, may be repacked with a new "gubbins" sprue but otherwise will be unchanged in appearance.
Fire Prism, Main Eldar battle tank.
Warp Spiders, old models but the talk is no new ones for the codex.
Vyper, kinda like a Landspeeder, the only possible change is a heavy weapon sprue to give you other options aside from a Shuriken Cannon.
New Rangers, I say new, because they're comming out as a Cities of Death release real soon. Obviously they're the new incarnation and will not be remade for the codex.
New Guardian Heavy Weapon Platform, same as the Rangers.

Pick up some of this stuff and get painting. By the time you get the new codex, you'll have time to paint the new stuff with everything else already fully painted! Welcome to the Eldar, we're neat club.

sunnyside
11-07-2006, 15:23
You may not be checking this thread anymore but you might actually want to get some stuff now. They just dropped the price on the current battlefore by $25 making it quite a steal. Also by playing a smaller number of eldar units you can get a feel for them so you can make a more educated choice when you get the new codex. Plus if you want them now there's something to be said for painting while you're still excited (and you should get another boost with the new codex.). The models won't get redone and you'll have a nice force you can then expand.

Anyway I'd suggest getting the battleforce, a farseer and some warlocks, and two of the new plastic weapons platforms when they come out.

And for goodness sakes don't glue any of the weapon options in too firmly. You may want to swap them out.

Oh, and don't desperage the models in the battleforce after shields comment. Comparing a falcon to a Razorback is a bit like comparing a land raider to a razorback (well once you put a holo-field and spirit stones on it anyway). A vyper can be a lot like a landspeeder but with a crystal targeting matrix it's like a landspeeder crossed with a tau battlesuit and while for the time being guardian jetbikes suck farseers/warlocks on jetbikes are pretty solid. (again don't glue them on to firmly though).

Griffin
11-07-2006, 16:05
I was thinking of starting a Alaitoc force, Only reason I didn't was because one ranger cost R75 (6 Pounds), So now I'm waiting for the new Codex as well as the new Ranger Box which will cost 18 pounds, for 5.

PS If you wanna start now get the basics, things like wraith lords, falcons, farseer, guardians enc - Atleast you know they will be staple even if the codex changes.

Ice_Reaver
12-07-2006, 02:31
They just dropped the price on the current battlefore by $25 making it quite a steal.

Wow had no idea it was that low, i'll be sure to hop on that soon. i decided to wait for the new dex thanks to everyones advice. i did want to ask real fast is there any eldar units i should stay away from? (e.g. blackguard)

Ill Eagle
12-07-2006, 02:45
ice Reaver, I'm sort of in the same situation with orks. I've decided to go ahead and buy some of the current ork models, put a few together and save the rest and then buy the new ones when they come out too. That way, I'll have more options for mixing and matching and converting so my ork army will have more variety in appearance.

Scythe
12-07-2006, 09:14
Wow had no idea it was that low, i'll be sure to hop on that soon. i decided to wait for the new dex thanks to everyones advice. i did want to ask real fast is there any eldar units i should stay away from? (e.g. blackguard)

Well, there is not that much to say since most units will get a drastic rules change in a few months, but most people now will probably tell you to stay away from Fire Prisims, Shining Spears etc.

chosen_of_khaine
12-07-2006, 09:36
heck yea they are gonna e worth the wait, im not very keen on these new banshee's tho, they dont look as agile as the current ones