PDA

View Full Version : Walking Imperial Knight conversion part

TheBearminator
17-05-2016, 01:35
A month or so Ago something caught my attention on eBay. Some sort of conversion part for the knee (3d printed possibly) that was supposed to help you repose your Knight. When I look at people's conversion pictures on the internet I can't really understand how one single piece could do it all but I would like to contact the seller to get some pictures. Unfortunately I can't find the add for it again. Has anyone else seen this?

Beppo1234
17-05-2016, 22:05
A month or so Ago something caught my attention on eBay. Some sort of conversion part for the knee (3d printed possibly) that was supposed to help you repose your Knight. When I look at people's conversion pictures on the internet I can't really understand how one single piece could do it all but I would like to contact the seller to get some pictures. Unfortunately I can't find the add for it again. Has anyone else seen this?

why bother, it's not hard to lop it off at the knee and repose it... and there's enough surface area that you shouldn't need to pin. The problems reposing Knight legs tend to occur at the ankles rather than the knees in my experience.

TheBearminator
17-05-2016, 22:10
why bother, it's not hard to lop it off at the knee and repose it... and there's enough surface area that you shouldn't need to pin. The problems reposing Knight legs tend to occur at the ankles rather than the knees in my experience.
Interesting! I read a guide on how to make walking knights. It seemed a bit too time consuming for me, adjusting the pistons and all that. Don't have that amount of free time anymore sadly. So how did you do yours?

Beppo1234
17-05-2016, 22:39
I just bent the knee so it wasn't doing the splits like every other knight I see. Adjusting the pistons was just a matter of dry fitting and shortening the tubes. All the joints are easily reposeable... it's just disappointing GW didn't make the legs more dynamic.

I saw one at my local GW that had been posed like it was running.

TheBearminator
19-05-2016, 00:41
I just bent the knee so it wasn't doing the splits like every other knight I see. Adjusting the pistons was just a matter of dry fitting and shortening the tubes. All the joints are easily reposeable... it's just disappointing GW didn't make the legs more dynamic.

I saw one at my local GW that had been posed like it was running.
Thanks for taking the time! I'm gonna go all in on knights once I've finished some Ork stuff.

Beppo1234
20-05-2016, 00:06
it's really not hard to repose the legs... and not necessary to pin, unless your pose is going to put a lot of stress on the joint.

it's the ankles that are slightly tricky, as they are locked into a position that works with the factory pose... but again, not a terribly difficult fix.

Mandragola
24-05-2016, 16:55
Yeah I've modified the legs of a couple of knights. You can see the results in my 7th legion plog. Example 1 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?353397-7th-legion-army-that-I-might-do-(yet-another-pre-heresy-thing-yawn-)/page10) and 2 (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?353397-7th-legion-army-that-I-might-do-(yet-another-pre-heresy-thing-yawn-)/page13).

You may or may not need to do anything to the knees, but it's fairly simple to do. There aren't any pistons there, so that's the simplest joint to mess around with.

The ankles are a bit harder, though honestly not that big a deal. It really doesn't take long to reposition those. Yes, you need to lengthen and shorten some pistons. That isn't hard though, as they are easily cut through. You will need some suitable plastic tube to lengthen them though.

I found the thigh pistons the most fiddly to alter. It's because they are thin and they have a connecting hose that you have to bend if you're going to alter the piston. That often results in a snapped hose.

Other than that it's easy enough to get your knight to stop doing the splits. The pelvis piece has a sort of concertina attachment to the top of the leg, so you can just cut away one of the spare tyres as required.

Good luck.