PDA

View Full Version : Did the international WD guys all get sacked about issue 315?

cailus
11-07-2006, 10:34
I was looking through some WD's trying to find an article to prove a point.

Anyhow I noticed that the last Aussie issue with editor Justin Keyes was 314, just before the new changes took place. After that he was replaced by Bryan Cook, whose sole purpose appears to be to put the Aussie storefinder section in (yes we still have a store finder section). However we now have a Guy Haley as editor too.

Were there similar staff "replacements" in the rest of the world?

Furthermore since issue 316 there is no longer an Australian White Dwarf email address. They say you can send your submissions in but don't actually provide you with anywhere to send them to other than a generic GW address.

And finally isn't it ironic that GW is trying to offload their products to really young kids, even though White Dwarf states that certain products such as spray paints cannot be sold to people under the age of 16 under Australian law?

Unseeing Eye
11-07-2006, 11:10
And finally isn't it ironic that GW is trying to offload their products to really young kids, even though White Dwarf states that certain products such as spray paints cannot be sold to people under the age of 16 under Australian law?

Not really, people under the age of sixteen probably require their parent's money to buy the stuff anyway--not a stretch to have the parent buy the spray paint personally.

And it isn't like WD wrote Australian law. :p And btw, I thought it was 18?

cailus
11-07-2006, 11:28
No it's 16. What happened to Justin and co though?

Osbad
11-07-2006, 12:00
Big staff shake-up/redeployment/sackings around the time of production of 315.

Guy Haley got shunted "upstairs" with some helpers to co-ordinate the thinly-veiled marketing that is GW worldwide WD content. Owen Rees got brought in from the UK web-team to provide the UK-only content and the uk-website content. Some staff were "let go" around this time - Rudgie had gone some time before, but some guy who's name began with G (used to be the "proofreader") got axed, and subequently Nik Kyme resigned a couple of months back from the UK team. Mark Latham joined Guy Haley's happy gang a couple of months back from BGiME and WH Historical.

There's been a shuntaround and a "redefinition of roles" but (given the 2 recruits recently advertised for) no real significant net loss in staff headcount over all as far as I can tell.

It seems though that WD is now produced largely 6 months in advance, when a year or so back it was only produced 3 months ahead. I guess photoshopping "photocles" doesn't take as long as writing your actual articles used to...

Nazguire
12-07-2006, 02:40
Big staff shake-up/redeployment/sackings around the time of production of 315.

Guy Haley got shunted "upstairs" with some helpers to co-ordinate the thinly-veiled marketing that is GW worldwide WD content. Owen Rees got brought in from the UK web-team to provide the UK-only content and the uk-website content. Some staff were "let go" around this time - Rudgie had gone some time before, but some guy who's name began with G (used to be the "proofreader") got axed, and subequently Nik Kyme resigned a couple of months back from the UK team. Mark Latham joined Guy Haley's happy gang a couple of months back from BGiME and WH Historical.

There's been a shuntaround and a "redefinition of roles" but (given the 2 recruits recently advertised for) no real significant net loss in staff headcount over all as far as I can tell.

It seems though that WD is now produced largely 6 months in advance, when a year or so back it was only produced 3 months ahead. I guess photoshopping "photocles" doesn't take as long as writing your actual articles used to...

Am I the only Australian that finds it funny that Mark Latham joined the White Dwarf team?

cailus
12-07-2006, 02:41
Well he did need a job after his other one imploded on him!

Unseeing Eye
12-07-2006, 03:26
Am I the only Australian that finds it funny that Mark Latham joined the White Dwarf team?

Yes, yes and Harry Potter is on one of the news channels. :p

Arjuna
15-07-2006, 07:41
The white dwarf has periodic changes in editors and creative contributors. I have been reading the silly thing since issue 100 and every once in awhile there is what looks to be a shakeup. However its probably natural that teams get burnt out on it or they just want some fresh people in to produce the magazine.