PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Orcs

Werner
19-05-2016, 06:28
So hello. This question is from 8th edition, because i really dislike AoS. iI's not the rules it's just because they changed everything so quikly.

But lets get to it! So im going to buy some savage orc boar boyz and i was thinking: Additional Hand weapons or Shields and Spears?

Thanks in advance!

Bingo the Fun Monkey
19-05-2016, 07:02
Additional hand weapons. You start losing extra attacks from spears earlier. Also, if you're going for shields, sword and board is a superior choice being cheaper and having the chance of a parry. Just my humble opinion.

It also depends on what you plan to use the unit for, and how big it's going to be. Generally, a meat shield infantry block is better served by night gobboz, whereas boyz with extra choppas make decent flankers.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

GrandmasterWang
19-05-2016, 10:23
Extra hand weapons for the Savage boar riders!

Fluffy, looks great on the models and they pack a wallop with the Choppaz rule!

The extra attack is more beneficial than the strength boost in most cases.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

theunwantedbeing
19-05-2016, 11:52
Spear & Shield
50% better armour save
More damage when charging
You can paint rude/funny/scary designs on the shields

Extra hand weapon
50% more damage when not charging
Cheaper
Less to paint

I like Spears&Shields better.

ColShaw
19-05-2016, 13:10
It's too easy to lose the armor save from the shield. Hand weapons get my vote.

Icarus81
19-05-2016, 13:23
having the chance of a parry.

No parry for cavalry.

theunwantedbeing
19-05-2016, 13:43
No parry for cavalry.

:p Or for frenzied troops.
:cool: Or if you have two hand weapons.
:eyebrows: Or if you have a spear.
:shifty: Also savage orcs already have a 6+ ward save.

I don't think he was on about Savage Orc Boar boyz though.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
19-05-2016, 14:10
Wow, i was half awake and didnt see him say boar boyz. I thought he meant regular old boyz. Disregard what i said, op.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Ayin
19-05-2016, 14:17
It's too easy to lose the armor save from the shield. Hand weapons get my vote.

I'm here as well. As long as you have some other way in your army to crack armour (s6/7, magic, ect).

Additional hand weapons. You start losing extra attacks from spears earlier. Also, if you're going for shields, sword and board is a superior choice being cheaper and having the chance of a parry. Just my humble opinion.

Although I agree with you in regards to infantry, I'm pretty sure the question is about cavalry.

No parry for cavalry.

Or for Frenzied troops, and it does nothing for troops that already have a 6++, which is why the idea of a defensive Empire list using Swordsmen and the Luminark is such a failure of army design when the Hurricanum and Halberdiers are right there in the same sections, actually working together. Ugh, now i'm having GW flashbacks...