PDA

View Full Version : New player: Spaces Wolves vs Blood Angels

Sam V.
20-05-2016, 02:34
Hello !
I am starting back W40k from a long break (more than 5 years) and I am still in the process of choosing my main army.
I am at the point that my two very favorite armies are the Blood Angels and the Spaces Wolves. I have some questions about main difference(s) between these two armies.
I don't have any experience playing the game.. But, I have already a good knowledge of the rules.
I have some difficulties to find the main difference between the two armies as they are Space Marines chapter.
According to my research, these two chapters are more close combat focused. But, is there any thing the Blood Angels can do that the Space Wolves can't ?

Thank you very much for your answers,
Sam

WLBjork
20-05-2016, 04:59
I would say I think currently there's a bit more Space Wolves can do that Blood Angels can't.

Blood Angels are something of a quandary - they are supposed to be much more "Codex Astartes" than the Wolves, and it shows.

The downside is that - right now - Space Wolves have a new supplement in the form of Warzone Fenris. You can survive without it, but it does update the Iron Priest, and add the extremely useful "Decurion"-style formations.

Casper Hawser
20-05-2016, 08:09
At the moment Space Wolves have their rules spread over 3 books while the Blood Angels rules are spread over 2 books I think so Space Wolves are more costly if u want all of their rules. So I'd go Blood Angels but I'm biased playing BA myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunborn
20-05-2016, 08:42
I am not a fan of the sphessh mahrines in general but the space puppies have some toys the BA don't for sure. The new werewolves are neat. I think their general troops are better once in combat than the BA.

The BA are nicer in appearance. The death company can put a lot of hurt down in close combat. They can get crazy cool dreadnoughts (although I think they need an update on attacks#).

Sotek
20-05-2016, 10:06
Space Puppies have always been a GW favourite in terms of special snowflake status. However you should go with the ones you like the look, fluff and color of.

Sam V.
20-05-2016, 20:46
Thank you very much for your answers !
I think ill go with BA first.. I really like their look and the fluff of this army.
One of my favorite unit is the death company.. Is this unit playable in V7 ? I don't want a full army composed of death company.. Buy I really like the idea to have one big unit in a Rhino. :)

Beppo1234
20-05-2016, 20:51
I'd also argue that wolves are bit easier to model and paint.

Sam V.
20-05-2016, 23:52
Well I think ill could go with either of the two.. I could also go with the DA (juste saw the Dark vengeance set... look like a really good deal). At this point, I like all the models in these armies. I am more looking for a playstyle.

Diogenes
24-05-2016, 02:10
Well I think ill could go with either of the two.. I could also go with the DA (juste saw the Dark vengeance set... look like a really good deal). At this point, I like all the models in these armies. I am more looking for a playstyle.

I don't play either army but there's a few things nobody mentioned.

1. Blood Angels "chapter tactics" or whatever mean that all blood Angels get furious charge.

2. Space wolves gimmick is that they always counter charge. They can't be caught flat footed in combat.

3. 7th Ed and the current meta favors fast mobile shooty armies. Both of these armies are somewhat close combat oriented, with BA being more so. It doesn't mean you can't win but it won't be as easy as with some other armies.

4. Vanilla space marines are really strong at the moment. The last space marines codex gave boosts to several units like scouts, and dreadnoughts that the SW and BA did not receive. Also no centurions or graviton weapons at all for SW or BA. Also, imo the space marine formations are the best of all power armored armies.

Casper Hawser
24-05-2016, 07:04
I don't play either army but there's a few things nobody mentioned.

1. Blood Angels "chapter tactics" or whatever mean that all blood Angels get furious charge.

2. Space wolves gimmick is that they always counter charge. They can't be caught flat footed in combat.

3. 7th Ed and the current meta favors fast mobile shooty armies. Both of these armies are somewhat close combat oriented, with BA being more so. It doesn't mean you can't win but it won't be as easy as with some other armies.

4. Vanilla space marines are really strong at the moment. The last space marines codex gave boosts to several units like scouts, and dreadnoughts that the SW and BA did not receive. Also no centurions or graviton weapons at all for SW or BA. Also, imo the space marine formations are the best of all power armored armies.

Don't you mean broken or filthiest of all armies.[emoji3] excepting Tau and a Eldar of course.
But seriously I'm a BA player and I like them model wise we've got some nice sets and some really classic character models. But we are one of the weaker codices at the moment which makes winning all the sweeter and losing doesn't matter against the top tier armies cause the broken anyway.
So to summarise go Blood Angels the wolves just spend there time sniffing each other's arses anyway.