PDA

View Full Version : Help expanding my Tau and Eldar army

Shaadow
21-05-2016, 16:40
My current army is included in the spoiler tag:

Note: I do not usually play WYSIWYG so I have not included any upgrades. I would not play my army "naked" like this, neither would I play it as two big detachments. I would use formations, ect.
++ Tau Empire: Codex (2015) (Apocalypse) (2853pts) ++

+ HQ (235pts) +

Aun'Va (100pts) [The Paradox of Duality, Warlord Trait: Exemplar of the Selfless Cause]
Rules: Bonding Knife Ritual, Failure is Not An Option, Great Invocation, Invocation of the Elements, Stubborn, Supreme Loyalty, Very Bulky
··2x Ethereal Guard [2x Honour Blade, 2x Photon Grenades]
··Rules: Bonding Knife Ritual, Stubborn

Commander (85pts)

Ethereal (50pts)

+ Elites (578pts) +

XV104 Riptide Battlesuits (180pts)

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits (3) (100pts)

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits (3) (100pts)

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (198pts)
Rules: Supporting Fire, Very Bulky
··Crisis Shas'ui (22pts)
····Crisis Battlesuit [Blacksun Filter, Multi-Tracker]
··Crisis Shas'ui (22pts)
··Crisis Shas'ui (22pts)
··Crisis Shas'ui (22pts)
··Crisis Shas'ui (22pts)
··Crisis Shas'ui (22pts)
··Crisis Shas'ui (22pts)
··Crisis Shas'ui (22pts)
··Crisis Shas'ui (22pts)

+ Troops (464pts) +

Kroot Carnivores (140pts) [Sniper Rounds (20pts)]

Strike Team (108pts) [12x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle (108pts), Photon Grenades]
Rules: Supporting Fire

Strike Team (108pts) [12x Fire Warrior with Pulse Rifle (108pts), Photon Grenades]

+ Fast Attack (636pts) +

Barracuda Air Superiority Fighter [FW] (130pts) [2x Auto-targeting Burst Cannon, Ion Cannon, Twin-linked Missile Pod]
Rules: Agile, Auto-targeting, Deep Strike, Supersonic
Profiles:
Barracuda: BS:4|Front:11|Side:11|Rear:10|HP:2|Type:Flyer|IA 3 SE: Taros Campaign p155
Burst Cannon: Range:18"|Strength:5|AP:5|Type:Assault 4
Ion Cannon (ovrchrg): Range:60"|Strength:8|AP:3|Type:Heavy 1, Gets Hot, Large Blast
Ion Cannon (std): Range:60"|Strength:7|AP:3|Type:Heavy 3
Missile Pod: Range:36"|Strength:7|AP:4|Type:Assault 2

Drones (168pts)
··6x MV4 Shield Drone (84pts) [6x Shield Generator]
··Rules: Supporting Fire
··6x MV7 Marker Drone (84pts) [6x Markerlight]
··Rules: Supporting Fire, Target Aquired

Drones (168pts)
··12x MV7 Marker Drone (168pts) [12x Markerlight]
··Rules: Supporting Fire, Target Aquired
Profiles:
MV7 Marker Drone: Unit Type:Jet Pack Infantry (Drone)|WS:2|BS:2|S:3|T:4|W:1|I:4|A:1|Ld:7|Save:4+
Markerlight: Range:36"|Strength:-|AP:-|Type:Heavy 1, Target Acquired

Pathfinder Team (120pts)
Rules: Scout, Supporting Fire
··9x Pathfinder (99pts) [9x Photon Grenades, 9x Pulse Carbine with Markerlight]
··Pathfinder Shas'ui (21pts) [Photon Grenades, Pulse Carbine with Markerlight]

TX4 Piranhas (50pts)
··TX4 Piranha (50pts) [2x MV1 Gun Drone, Fusion Blaster (10pts)]

+ Heavy Support (580pts) +

TX7 Hammerhead Gunships (375pts)
Rules: Fire Team
··TX7 Hammerhead Gunship (125pts) [2x MV1 Gun Drone, Railgun]

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits (205pts)
Rules: Extremely Bulky, Supporting Fire
··Broadside (65pts) [Twin-linked Heavy Rail Rifle, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]
····Broadside Battlesuit [Blacksun Filter, Multi-tracker]
··Broadside (65pts) [Twin-linked Heavy Rail Rifle, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]
··Broadside Shas'vre (75pts) [Twin-linked Heavy Rail Rifle, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

+ Lords of War (360pts) +

KV128 Stormsurges (360pts)
Rules: Stabilising Anchors
··KV128 Stormsurge (360pts) [Cluster Rocket System, 4x Destroyer Missile, Pulse Blastcannon, Twin-linked Flamer, Twin-linked Smart Missile System]

++ Eldar Craftworlds: Codex (2015) (Unbound Army (Faction)) (1337pts) ++

+ No Battle Role (HQ) (860pts) +

Eldrad Ulthran (195pts) [Ghosthelm, Runes of the Farseer, Staff of Ulthamar, Witchblade]
Rules: An Eye on Distant Events (Warlord), Ancient Doom, Armour of the Last Runes, Battle Focus, Fleet, Ghosthelm, Independent Character, Psychic Disciplines: Daemonology (Santic), Divination, Runes of Fate, Telepathy, Psyker (Mastery Level 4), Runes of the Farseer, Spiritlink

Farseer (100pts) [Ghosthelm, Runes of the Farseer, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade]
Rules: Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Bladestorm, Fleet, Ghosthelm, Independent Character, Psychic Disciplines: Daemonology (Santic), Divination, Runes of Fate, Telepathy, Psyker (Mastery Level 3), Rune Armour, Runes of the Farseer

Farseer (115pts) [Ghosthelm, Runes of the Farseer, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade]
Rules: Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Bladestorm, Ghosthelm, Independent Character, Psychic Disciplines: Daemonology (Santic), Divination, Runes of Fate, Telepathy, Psyker (Mastery Level 3), Rune Armour, Runes of the Farseer
··Farseer Skyrunner (15pts) [Twin-linked shuriken catapult]
··Rules: Eldar Jetbike

Farseer (100pts) [Ghosthelm, Runes of the Farseer, Shuriken Pistol, Witchblade]
Rules: Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Bladestorm, Fleet, Ghosthelm, Independent Character, Psychic Disciplines: Daemonology (Santic), Divination, Runes of Fate, Telepathy, Psyker (Mastery Level 3), Rune Armour, Runes of the Farseer

Warlock Conclave (300pts) [6x Warlock (210pts), Warlock Skyrunners (90pts)]
Rules: Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Brotherhood of Psykers , Communion of Minds, Eldar Jetbike

Warlock Conclave (50pts) [Warlock (35pts), Warlock Skyrunners (15pts)]
Rules: Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Brotherhood of Psykers , Communion of Minds, Eldar Jetbike

+ No Battle Role (Troops) (102pts) +

Windriders (51pts) [3x Windrider with twin-linked Shuriken catapult (51pts)]
Rules: Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Eldar Jetbike

Windriders (51pts) [3x Windrider with twin-linked Shuriken catapult (51pts)]
Rules: Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Eldar Jetbike

+ No Battle Role (Fast Attack) (80pts) +

Swooping Hawks (80pts) [Grenade pack]
Rules: Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Fleet, Grenade pack, Intercept, Skyburst, Swooping Hawk Wings
··5x Swooping Hawk (80pts) [5x Haywire grenades, 5x Lasblaster, 5x Plasma grenades]
··Rules: Haywire, Plasma Grenades

+ No Battle Role (Lords of War) (295pts) +

Wraithknight (295pts) [Two Heavy Wraithcannons]
Rules: Ancient Doom, Fear, Fearless, Feel No Pain, Hammer of Wrath, Move Through Cover, Relentless, Smash, Strikedown, Sword of Vaul

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

I would appreciate any advice on where it would be best to go from here. I am thinking about getting an aspect shrine (of Scorpions or Spiders) or a Crimson Death for my Eldar and perhaps a Ghostkeel and/or more Crisis suits for my Tau, but I am not sure if that is the best thing to do. I would also appreciate any advice on what the best ~1000 point armies I could make from what I currently have are. I am having trouble with very defensive armies, such as my friend's Adeptus Mechanicus, which usually comes with a cohert cybernetica, which I can't kill, and a Culexus Assasin to disable any Seer Councils or similar I field. He also takes Cotez (and some luck) so I have never gotten first turn against him. (although the one time I've played him with my full army he seized on me and killed my Wraithknight first turn with his heavy grav-cannon equipped destroyers.) This squad also has Cotez in it so I can't deapstrike next to him with say, a retribution cadre. His weakness seems to be hordes that are fast enough to evade his electro-priests (that can deepstrike via gate of infinity btw), but neither Eldar nor Tau are very good at hordes. This problem with high durability has made me consider Wraithgaurd (probably with an allied Anchron), but they would get slaughtered by I've been expecting you if they deepstrike close enough to hurt him and they would be slaughtered anyway if they don't. As you can tell, I'm having major problems with beating him, and any help would be appreciated. :) Thanks in advance!

Chevron_Locked
23-05-2016, 15:24
To be honest, while wraithguard are tough they are also expensive, I'd go with guardian defenders for a backbone as you'll be able to getmore of them as far as numbers are concerned. Also if your opponent ignores them that can be to their disadvantage as lots of bladestorm can do quite some damage. Warp spiders are always a good choice, especially for decisive hit and run attacks (I always use them to take out problems that the rest of my army can't touch).

Chevron_Locked
23-05-2016, 15:26
For some reason my phone can't open that spoiler, do you have war walkers and dark reapers?

Shaadow
23-05-2016, 18:01
For some reason my phone can't open that spoiler, do you have war walkers and dark reapers?

No, I don't have either. The War Walkers seem like a good idea for mobile firepower, but I'm not sure what Dark Reapers can do that velocity tracker equipped Tau can't?

To be honest, while wraithguard are tough they are also expensive, I'd go with guardian defenders for a backbone as you'll be able to getmore of them as far as numbers are concerned. Also if your opponent ignores them that can be to their disadvantage as lots of bladestorm can do quite some damage. Warp spiders are always a good choice, especially for decisive hit and run attacks (I always use them to take out problems that the rest of my army can't touch).

Guardian defenders probably would not be ignored unless I had something distracting/durable, unfortunately. They also would not solve my problem of needing heavy firepower, my firewarriors tend to provide enough anti-infantry firepower already. I'm not sure what they actually bring to the table that I don't already have, but they are very nice, fluffy models so I might get them anyway. :)

Thanks for your reply. :)

Chevron_Locked
24-05-2016, 01:28
No, I don't have either. The War Walkers seem like a good idea for mobile firepower, but I'm not sure what Dark Reapers can do that velocity tracker equipped Tau can't?

The reason I ask about dark reapers is because I usually run them in an aspect host with spiders, dragons or avengers. BS5 reapers (and above aspects) are always a welcome :) kitting them out with starshot missiles can have its uses though depends on if you can find better use for the points.

Chevron_Locked
24-05-2016, 01:29
I'll have to say also my knowledge of what Tau have hasn't progressed much since 4th ed ;)

Shaadow
27-05-2016, 19:06
I can see that, but I would probably put Swooping Hawks in that aspect host instead as Tau are quite good at the heavy firepower that Dark Reapers provide