PDA

View Full Version : Quick Iron Hands background question

Mage
22-05-2016, 05:22
I cant remember for the life of me, but which hand does an Iron Hands Space Marine have cut off and replaced with a bionic upon initiation to the Chapter?

Rogue Star
22-05-2016, 08:51
Going by Rogue Trader, the right hand.

Lupe
22-05-2016, 14:47
Old fluff says the right hand. In practice, I'd expect the Iron Hands to be far more diligent than this to begin with. I mean, the average initiate could well go full out an lop off both his hands just to prove a point... if you're just looking for an excuse for bionics, any limb goes...

kamedake88
23-05-2016, 23:42
Per Index Astates the left hand is taken off as a right of initiation.

Diogenes
24-05-2016, 01:25
I thought the latest fluff was the shield hand because of their weakness in saving Ferus.

Maidel
24-05-2016, 23:11
Going by Rogue Trader, the right hand.

Is that the story where they shove their hand into the forge fire?

Rogue Star
25-05-2016, 11:44
Is that the story where they shove their hand into the forge fire?

I thought that was the Iron Priest of the Space Wolves? The Rogue Trader lore on the page I'm looking at only mentions "distinctive uniform features may arise from the Chapter initiation rites - for example, the Iron Hands have their right hands replaced with a robotic limb".

Maidel
25-05-2016, 17:12
I thought that was the Iron Priest of the Space Wolves? The Rogue Trader lore on the page I'm looking at only mentions "distinctive uniform features may arise from the Chapter initiation rites - for example, the Iron Hands have their right hands replaced with a robotic limb".

Yes! You are quite right. That space wolf codex printed in white dwarf with the full background. That made me buy space wolves for 25 years...

Mage
25-05-2016, 17:25
Hm. I always thought it was the right one. does rogue trader agree with current lore and both contradict the Index Astartes article from back in the day?

Lord Damocles
25-05-2016, 17:56
'On induction to the Chapter, new recruits have their left hands removed and replaced with bionics...'
'Index Astartes: Hand of Justice' in White Dwarf 262 (UK), pg.68

The pictures of pre- and post-Heresy Iron Hands (pg.65) show the right hand as bionic though - possibly a failure to comprehend the difference between left and proper left.

Mage
25-05-2016, 18:40
It might be easier to go back and paint all the hands iron and say they are a seasoned company