PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I know this a lame theme....

adreal
11-07-2006, 13:18
....but, I am going to make a Dragon Ball Z army. I've had several ideas, but I'm going to settle with a Saiyan army with the characters and more powerful units based off the characters in the show (Goku, Vageta, Trunks, Gohan, Goten, all the saiyans from the different movies etc) Where all the guns will be based off attacks (Kahmehameha, Galik Gun, Special Beam Cannon, Destructo Disk, Buster Cannon, etc, etc)

Now what I'm actually asking is what rules would best represent them, I'm thinking one of the two marine armies (loyalest or chaos) but I thought I'de get your ideas.

Please don't say thing is a lame idea, I know it's pretty stupid, but the idea will never leave me alone. I'm probalby never going to take it to serious gaming events, but just for fun (and the modeling of al lthe hair;) ) it's just to much of a good idea to pase up (goodbye to my new guitar amp:( ).

I'm going to use the new plastic scouts for the bodies atleast, hopefully the arms will be easy to seperate frrom the guns (for the kia blasts) and for the commander (or daemon prince) I may just use belakor (from fantasy) and alot of green stuff (see super saiyan 4 (http://static.zoovy.com/img/gkworld/W204-H326-Bf3f3f3/kc3293.jpg) for what he'll look like)

Knighty
11-07-2006, 13:24
I'd say chaos is the better option, as I'm guessing you're looking for uber-characters and special elite squads.

Could have a defiler as a person(Or use a dread I suppose)?

adreal
11-07-2006, 13:42
hmm I was thinking that most heavy support slots would go to havoks/devs....but a defiler would work with indirect fire or something like that, and I can't forget oblits, as they can morph guns I can use different kia attacks.

It might be lame, but it will never leave me alone untill I do it

Escaflowne_Z
11-07-2006, 14:02
I don't know DB powers/characters very well (hate x2 the anime), but I think that the Defiler idea sounds good. Do the Seiyans have indirect powers? If not, then just make it direct fire and poowwweeerrrrr up! (couldn't resist). Oblits could be useful as well. How about Raptors to represent the flying/aerial fighting? You could use Slaanesh to do that odd "Fusion" thing...*ugh* Never mind. :) Oh, and you'd need some pointless aspiring champion or something to represent that hopeless wrestler guy with the moustache (you know who I mean, I hope).

PS: don't listen to Nurglitch, he's just mad that he has to wake up every morning in Nova Scotia. :D *runs away*

Omeg
11-07-2006, 14:05
Aren't you better off playing a mordheim warband? Kill team or whatever the 40k equivalent is called.

TomKamakazi
11-07-2006, 14:35
What I think you want is a Tyranid list.

Wait! Hear me out!

8 Monstrous creatures with outstanding shooting, combat ability and resilience? Sounds Dragon Ball enough to me! The only thing missing is the speed and flight (you can have it on only one of your tyrants, so you'd better make that one Goku).

Easy enough to model too. Mount DBZ figurines on 60mm bases and hey presto you have an army list.

Your troop choices I'll leave up to you

Aeschylus
11-07-2006, 15:47
If an idea is lame, and you know it's lame, then that's a good reason not to do it.

Seconding.

Plus WYSIWYG would be just about impossible with this army, and for that reason alone I wouldn't want to play it.

Him: "No, no no- The Kahmehameha's are plasma cannons, and the *Buster Cannons* are heavy bolters".

Me: "..."

Him: "Also that little white man is a librarian, and that virtually indistinguishable little white man is a chapter master."

Me: "I'm going to kill your dog."

CommunistBrother
11-07-2006, 16:04
I second the idea of the tyranid godzilla list to represent these guys. Regular troops don't cut it, you need uber-powerful to represent each sayan and no regular troop is that uber. Plus, 60mm bases for 28mm figures means some nice room to play around.

I'd go with those army guys that are always being blasted to bits for your gaunts and stuff, they last about as long as eachother anyway. This also makes for much less confusion when it comes to WYSIWYG. Shabam.

Outside of that, I don't think it'll ever be feasible to represent sayans, even with the Emperor's finest, and those traitor you-know-whats.

ben8s8
11-07-2006, 16:09
If an idea is lame, and you know it's lame, then that's a good reason not to do it.

lol true :p

Griffin
11-07-2006, 16:13
I'd say:

And that concludes my observations, PS don't do it - everytime you play with it God kills someones adorable kitten.

Z-chan
11-07-2006, 16:31
The dignity damage wouldn't be worth it. Come on...

Ezekius
11-07-2006, 17:08
Guys, let him do it if he wants to. It's not like it's going to harm you or anything... It's his figurines and his life, and his hobby, let him do what he wants with them.

I'm going to say that you should go with the godzilla list, too. Good luck!

n00bLord
11-07-2006, 17:18
I say no to god zilla army, take it up a notch and use only Titans!

bob syko
11-07-2006, 17:37
:cheese: Dude please don't:cheese:

SisterMordagg
12-07-2006, 06:48
I say no to god zilla army, take it up a notch and use only Titans!

Agreed.

Extra characters to fufil post length rules.

adreal
12-07-2006, 07:39
hmm well I already have a pretty huge nid army, so I really don't want to use a zilla list.

For the powers/guns, I was going to write on the base what each tyrpe of attack represents (ie kahmehameha would be plasma type weaons with plasma gun or cannon written on the base)

bikers were going to be flying saiyans
termies/oblits would be acended saiyans (the bulky super sayains)
chosen/veterens would be super sayain 2s led by a super saiyan 3 (asp champ or whatever the imperial version is)
if I do chaos the difilier was going to be the big monkey thingo all saiyans turn into

and to the poeple that don't want me to do it, they are simpson orks but I can't make a homage to my fav show? I'm not going to take this to a GT or anything, but sometimes playing them for a laugh would be cool

Khaine's Messenger
12-07-2006, 07:42
Now what I'm actually asking is what rules would best represent them, I'm thinking one of the two marine armies (loyalest or chaos) but I thought I'de get your ideas.

Well that's complicated. If you were trying to build Frieza's army or an army of Truffles/Saiyans, then I'd say you could probably twist an existing armylist believably...say, from the likes of Nids/Orks/etc. (similarly, one is going to have problems representing the crew of the Bebop on the TT, but building an ISSP army or a gang would be easy-peasy, and playing a Section 9 army would be just plain silly at this level of abstraction). But if you seriously want to mimic all the characters, you're going to be in for a long uphill battle.

How many characters do you want, actually (if you're going to field Yajirobi, then there's some problems)? And are we talking all the Androids, the Red Ribbon Army, Pilaf, Cell, Majin Buu...or just the good guys? Maybe Shenron? ;) And which era?

If it weren't for the fact that Tau, by comparison to DBZ characters, completely blow in hth, I'd suggest Crisis Suit teams with shield generators would adequately represent them while Kroot and Tau could represent the random cannon fodder goodguys they have on their side (Namekians, Earth humans...). And the problem with the Nid Godzilla list is that it's usually going to be far too slow....

IMHO, your best bet is probably going to be the (positively ancient) CJ Harlequin list. Not for power level necessarily, but for the access to some rather "individual" models that can move hellaciously fast. If you can find the rules for the Harlequin Wraithlords (D-cannon wraithlords with permanent cover saves...mmmm...) then you're in business.

adreal
12-07-2006, 07:51
Well that's complicated. If you were trying to build Frieza's army or an army of Truffles/Saiyans, then I'd say you could probably twist an existing armylist believably...say, from the likes of Nids/Orks/etc. (similarly, one is going to have problems representing the crew of the Bebop on the TT, but building an ISSP army or a gang would be easy-peasy, and playing a Section 9 army would be just plain silly at this level of abstraction). But if you seriously want to mimic all the characters, you're going to be in for a long uphill battle.

How many characters do you want, actually (if you're going to field Yajirobi, then there's some problems)? And are we talking all the Androids, the Red Ribbon Army, Pilaf, Cell, Majin Buu...or just the good guys? Maybe Shenron? ;) And which era?

If it weren't for the fact that Tau, by comparison to DBZ characters, completely blow in hth, I'd suggest Crisis Suit teams with shield generators would adequately represent them while Kroot and Tau could represent the random cannon fodder goodguys they have on their side (Namekians, Earth humans...). And the problem with the Nid Godzilla list is that it's usually going to be far too slow....

IMHO, your best bet is probably going to be the (positively ancient) CJ Harlequin list. Not for power level necessarily, but for the access to some rather "individual" models that can move hellaciously fast. If you can find the rules for the Harlequin Wraithlords (D-cannon wraithlords with permanent cover saves...mmmm...) then you're in business.

I was going to make a pure sayain army, not based off the characters (although the saiyans from Z and GT will feature in some models). There will be one super sayin 4 (daemon prince/commander) afew super saiyan 3s (either chaos lts. or aspiring champs/vet sarges) units of super saiyan 2s (chosen, vet squads) normal sayins (chaos marines/normal marines/havoks/devistators) led by super sayin 1s (asp champ, vet sarge) acended sayains (termies/oblits), flying saiyans (bikers)big apes (defieler/drednaughts)

So it'll be a pretty much infantry marines army (either flavour) for fun games and pretty good modeling potential

Kensai X
12-07-2006, 07:58

Yeah, this pretty much says what most people will think of the idea... I personally believe anime is another one of god's ways of slowly killing off humanity to go along with mosquitoes, AIDS, floods, hunger, and the feminst movement...

But if you absolutely had to do it then I'd suggest using either Harlequins or Grey Knights... But I will say if I ever had to go against this list I would smack you, burn your army, and throw you into a rehabilitation center.

(Oh, and I'd help Aeschylus kill your dog...):D

Khaine's Messenger
12-07-2006, 08:15
I was going to make a pure sayain army, not based off the characters

Then CSM would probably work out alright, if only for the sheer variety of them and some of the absolutely wierd special effects rules they can bring to the field.

senban
12-07-2006, 14:06
I know it's pretty stupid, but the idea will never leave me alone.
I've learned long ago not to interfere with the whims of this sort of person. Without a degree in zoology, a high powered air weapon and tiger grade tranqs there is little that can be done to stop them (least of all by themselves).

Invid
12-07-2006, 14:31
too. Mount DBZ figurines on 60mm bases and hey presto you have an army list.

Awful...

*Sigh...

Well. Whatever you want to do I guess. Dont know if I would play against it. But post pictures!Sounds like it is gonna be hard to know what everyhtign is / does.:wtf:

Da Reddaneks
12-07-2006, 14:37
chaos. demon princes can fairly well represent a super sayian i guess. their psychic stuff is pretty good. Possession rules could represent going from sayian to super sayian. they have flight options.

and i think its a fine theme. no worse than hello kitty sisters of battle, the fred samford junk yard necrons, the simps-orks, or my redneck orks.

Wargamejunkie
12-07-2006, 18:04
I say go for it, its your money and time have fun with it.

adreal
13-07-2006, 07:20
hehe I I use daemons I can model saibermen (little green guys that grow out of the gorund), and for the icon I'll use dragon balls.....that is if I use daemons

I'll by the chaos codex this week and work through the armoury to see what I can do there, then hash up a rough list

(might even buy some scouts and start the modelling)

adreal
14-07-2006, 14:20
ok list of weapons/ attacks that I've worked out

Kahmehameha=Plasma Gun
Big Bang Attack=Auto Cannon
Burning Attack=Flamer
Continuous Die Die Missles=Doombolt
Destructo Disc=Krak/Frag Missle
Super Dragon Fist=Powerfist
Final Flash=Melta Gun
Galic Gun=Kia Gun
Ki Sword=Ether Lance
Masenko=Heavy Bolter
Special Beam Cannon=Las Cannon
Ki Blast=Bolter

Yes there are too many daemon weapons in that list, but I may not use all of those weapons (or can't in the case of daemon weapons)

Now some may think that I should have the las cannon as kahmehameha, but seeing as more troops can carry plasma gun then las cannons (and special beam cannon is vastly superior then the kahmehameha) I felt plasma is the best choice (hehe it also helps that chaos squads can carry two plasma guns in a squad)

Some choice don't make much sense (heavy bolter-masenko) but I did the best with what I had availible, any other ideas are welcome as I havn't even though much on the list bar that I will have bikers (flying saiyans would look so cool)

Warlord Kyle
19-07-2006, 05:04
its not lame its a good idea, that ever floats your boat:D
why not catachans? their muscled and can have most of those weapons
just please don't give them something like the dark eldar hair...

adreal
19-07-2006, 08:04
guard have to many models, even catachans, so I ruled them out, using the models is a maybe right now, scouts have the torso armour which should be easy to model like saiyans so yeah

GrandReaper
19-07-2006, 16:59
Man it's been a long time since my DBZ obsession (GT killed it quite admirably). I BEG you to avoid using SS4s because they look really lame and too similar to normal saiyans. I personally wouldn't go past SS2/Ascended for the best visual effect, maybe having the characters as ACs. Then there's having a GD possess one of your AC's (I'm thinking Bloodthirster) to transfrom into a Golden ?Oroboru? (The Ape thing). Of course, DPs, Dreads and Defilers could also be represented by said apes (probably not golden) to represent the Saiyan tactic of creating an artificial full moon to transform their elite troopers.

And PLEASE find your most often killed model and make it King Kai. Man I hate that guy!

adreal
20-07-2006, 01:18
Gt had some good ideas.....but yeah.....its pretty bad. SS4 isnt the worst thing that could have happened, and IMHO they represent the legendary super saiyans (ie only one every 1000 years, cause Vegeta had to cheat to become one) Hence my lord will be one.

A defiler will most likely be the big ape, if I cna find a king kong model of sutible size (and enough green stuff for the head)

King Kai is cool.....it's all the other kais that are lame (cept for the old kai...even if he is a rip off of master roshi), but as he isnt a saiyan, he wont be included.

any idea how to model the auras (flames around them) cause they would look pretty cool done well, if not well....I'll just leave it I guess, also should I model the attack beams getting shot or just model the hands as they charge them up, what would be less of a hassle for wysiwyg (and yes I know I'm breaking that rule very heavily but meh)