PDA

View Full Version : Best End Times death

It's also a hammer
28-05-2016, 08:53
Hello, feeling nostalgic as it was about a year ago (nowish) that Archaon was released and we knew the fate of the old world. So on that... I was wanting to know who people thought had the best death from the end times books or the associated novels?

My personal favourites are Gobblas from curse of the horned rat as it is soooo tear jerking and then Valtan's from "Thanquol" as it just happens so quick and the description of his reaction is so funny. Big empire hero, ready to battle Archaon in big punch up... Suddenly decapitated from no where!

post your own thoughts

Shifte
28-05-2016, 11:29
Hello, feeling nostalgic as it was about a year ago (nowish) that Archaon was released and we knew the fate of the old world. So on that... I was wanting to know who people thought had the best death from the end times books or the associated novels?

My personal favourites are Gobblas from curse of the horned rat as it is soooo tear jerking and then Valtan's from "Thanquol" as it just happens so quick and the description of his reaction is so funny. Big empire hero, ready to battle Archaon in big punch up... Suddenly decapitated from no where!

post your own thoughts

It was worse than that for Valten. Valten had begun to win the fight and had hurt Archaon. Archaon refused to unleash the demon in his sword (out of pride) and it was really getting interesting. THEN Valten got randomly beheaded and Archaon flipped the **** out.

King Louen's death gets a special mention, especially in the novel. He died like the perfect chivalrous Knight, cradled in the arms of a Shallyan Priestess whom he had saved and who never even knew who he was. His lasts words were along the lines of; "I am sorry for my blood-soaked inconvenience, my Lady." Her last reported thoughts were something like; "I don't know who that man was, but he was of far more noble and heroic bearing than any man of the Empire I have ever seen. He makes them brutes."

However, the star of the End Times was Vlad von Carstein. He achieved an incredible amount of named kills (up there with Archaon and Tyrion) and starred in almost every book. He had great conversations with Sigmar, Mannfred, Nagash, the Bretonnian Duke and Kurt Helborg. He cracked jokes with Sigmar and revealed that King Gilles and Abhorash where fighting an unending army of demons side by side (with Grail Knights and Blood Knights) in Bretonnia's Last Stand. He became the Elector Count of Sylvania and saved the Empire on more than one occasion. He saved the love of his life Isabella and in the end sacrificed himself so that she might live for the remaining few hours of the world, something he could not bear to do without her.

Vlad von Carstein. The man.

It's also a hammer
28-05-2016, 13:45
Oh without doubt Vlad is the star of the whole series! My favourite was when Mannfred is tied up in Athel Loren and Vlad just starts mocking him. Also Morathi and Caledor Dragontamer being snatched away by Slaanesh's clawed talon was fairly epic

Col. Tartleton
28-05-2016, 21:52
Krell died and it was just like everyone chill, he's a Mortarch, Nagash will respawn him at his last check point.

Welcome to Age of Sigmar. (Hint theres no consequences.)

Adam_Barrow
29-05-2016, 18:09
He died offscreen, barely a footnote mention in ET: Nagash, but Zacharias the Everliving was so badass. Wsoran, the founder of the Necrarch bloodline, stole Melkhior's body sometime after Nagash was obviously not returning any time soon. Then Melkhior's apprentice Zacharias gets his body overtaken when the apprentice rose up against his master. So the first Necrarch is riding around in Zacharias, mad as Hell that he didn't get enlisted as a Mortarch probably (seriously, wtf? The Necrarchs were the most loyal bloodline to Nagash.), and when Naggy finally tracks him down in the dark forests (after being only the second Vampire on record to drink a dragon's blood and end his thirst--the first being Abhorash), Zacharias the Ironically Named tells him to **** off. Punk rock til the very end.

Team Necrarch for life, witches.

jesper.adamsson.3
29-05-2016, 19:04
Skarsnik.

Just because he didn't die.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Turgol
29-05-2016, 19:31
Heroic deaths:
Eltharion: out Of pure force Of will takes Manfred, goes through Arkhan's impenetrable barrier, tries to kill Arkhan with bare hands only to be turned to dust.
Louen: takes a named great daemon in the most heroic fight in the series
Matzumunda: dies trying to save the world but almost stopping huge meteorites.
Ungrim: sacrifices himself so that the dwarf/Empire army can escape Averheim.
Vlad: sacrifices himself to free Isabella

Absurd/unheroic deaths:
Gobbla: cant digest a skaven!
Valten: sneaky assasination
Thorgrim: sneaky assasination
Balthasar: absurd assasination

The bearded one
29-05-2016, 19:37
As much as I'm not fan of AoS and have some quibbles with certain parts of the End Times, overall I thought it was a really cool story. Quite a bang.

Arkhan got a pretty neat send-off. "DIE WELL"

And I loved the image of Tyrion and Alarielle at the very very end, holding hands in the face of the gaping maw of obliteration. It was very tragic.

Vazalaar
29-05-2016, 19:51
It was worse than that for Valten. Valten had begun to win the fight and had hurt Archaon. Archaon refused to unleash the demon in his sword (out of pride) and it was really getting interesting. THEN Valten got randomly beheaded and Archaon flipped the **** out.

King Louen's death gets a special mention, especially in the novel. He died like the perfect chivalrous Knight, cradled in the arms of a Shallyan Priestess whom he had saved and who never even knew who he was. His lasts words were along the lines of; "I am sorry for my blood-soaked inconvenience, my Lady." Her last reported thoughts were something like; "I don't know who that man was, but he was of far more noble and heroic bearing than any man of the Empire I have ever seen. He makes them brutes."

However, the star of the End Times was Vlad von Carstein. He achieved an incredible amount of named kills (up there with Archaon and Tyrion) and starred in almost every book. He had great conversations with Sigmar, Mannfred, Nagash, the Bretonnian Duke and Kurt Helborg. He cracked jokes with Sigmar and revealed that King Gilles and Abhorash where fighting an unending army of demons side by side (with Grail Knights and Blood Knights) in Bretonnia's Last Stand. He became the Elector Count of Sylvania and saved the Empire on more than one occasion. He saved the love of his life Isabella and in the end sacrificed himself so that she might live for the remaining few hours of the world, something he could not bear to do without her.

Vlad von Carstein. The man.

I 100% agree!

I also would have loved more details about Gilles and Abhorash!

Eddie Chaos
29-05-2016, 22:57
My man Eltharion, turned to dust wrestling a Lich what a guy.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

ShruikhanTK
30-05-2016, 16:18
Hey guys thanks for reminding me about the End Times, it was such an epic story. I read all 5 of the hardcover books that came with the rules, but some of the things you guys mentioned I don't think were in there. Were there a set of novels I should read to get the story about the other characters? If so could you list em for me or point me the right direction because I'd like to go back and read them.

Shifte
30-05-2016, 17:55
Hey guys thanks for reminding me about the End Times, it was such an epic story. I read all 5 of the hardcover books that came with the rules, but some of the things you guys mentioned I don't think were in there. Were there a set of novels I should read to get the story about the other characters? If so could you list em for me or point me the right direction because I'd like to go back and read them.

Yep. Fall of Altdorf has King Louen, for example.

Shout out to the Kislev short story, too. That one was emotional.

Jind_Singh
30-05-2016, 18:19
The ones that saddened me...

When the wife of Belagor, dwarf king of the 8 peaks, is with her son and about to be swarmed by Skaven...

That was awful!

One that put a lump in my throat...

The death of Gobla and Skarsniks reaction

So sad :(

veterannoob
30-05-2016, 18:28
All sad. but besides Gobbla, has to be Snorri.:cries:

Adam_Barrow
30-05-2016, 19:06
Was Snorri that Slayer that got lost in the Skaven tunnels? That story was amazing.

veterannoob
30-05-2016, 19:52
Was Snorri that Slayer that got lost in the Skaven tunnels? That story was amazing.
He was the Gotrek & Felix character, Gotrek's closest dwarf friend. If you haven't read Kinslayer (and Slayer) I won't spoil it for you any more than already. If you are a G&F fan, it's worth a read.

The bearded one
30-05-2016, 22:33
Speakingbof the novels, the death that made me really sad was an elderly necromancer who was travelling with a vampire towards sylvania at the start of the Nagash novel. He'd been wounded, and they'd been talking about the past and when he died his last words were 'I miss my pigs'

It just made me a little sad

DarkChaplain
31-05-2016, 09:18
Boris Todbringer scores highly. He got the prologue of The Lord of the End Times to duel Khazrak. It really gave me a sense of long-lasting feud between the two, and was an amazing send-off. It is a damned pity Josh Reynolds never got to write about them until that point (he wanted to).

SuperHappyTime
31-05-2016, 17:20
Louen: takes a named great daemon in the most heroic fight in the series

Nope, just a bad*** moment in the series; Oozing holy blood on a greater daemon to kill it.

Then he goes out like a punk ***** to Festus, who jumps up from behind and saws his head off with a hacksaw.

Shifte
31-05-2016, 17:37
Nope, just a bad*** moment in the series; Oozing holy blood on a greater daemon to kill it.

Then he goes out like a punk ***** to Festus, who jumps up from behind and saws his head off with a hacksaw.

Read the novel version. Much more epic. :)

Col. Tartleton
31-05-2016, 17:51
Speakingbof the novels, the death that made me really sad was an elderly necromancer who was travelling with a vampire towards sylvania at the start of the Nagash novel. He'd been wounded, and they'd been talking about the past and when he died his last words were 'I miss my pigs'

It just made me a little sad

Erikan Crowfiend had a cool arc with interesting characters.

sedgey
01-06-2016, 11:10
The ones that saddened me...
And Spite, Malus Darkblade's loyal Cold One! Tz'arkan takes over Malus one last time, ripping him apart as he transforms into his daemonic form, and crushing Spite's spine under his weight. Tz'arkan goes off to fight Tyrion, only to get slaughtered as Tyrion goes mad as he senses his daughter's death at Nagash's resurrection.

The death magic sweeping across the world from Nagash's return then reanimates poor Spite, who flops across the deserted battlefield, spine still broken, to be reunited with his master in death.

Folomo
01-06-2016, 14:54
And Spite, Malus Darkblade's loyal Cold One! Tz'arkan takes over Malus one last time, ripping him apart as he transforms into his daemonic form, and crushing Spite's spine under his weight. Tz'arkan goes off to fight Tyrion, only to get slaughtered as Tyrion goes mad as he senses his daughter's death at Nagash's resurrection.

The death magic sweeping across the world from Nagash's return then reanimates poor Spite, who flops across the deserted battlefield, spine still broken, to be reunited with his master in death.

T_T

/10 chars

Captain Marius
01-06-2016, 18:20
So many epic deaths to choose from! As well as those stated, i liked Karl Franz AND Vlad falling to Otto Glott, that is a serious way of cementing the Glottkin as a major player, even if they got Sigmarred shortly after! Hellebron's death was ace too, with Alarielle curing her madness seconds before she died, allowing her to understand the full scope of her folly. Korhil's execution was gut-wrenching in its brutality, and Grimgor's was brutal in its necessity, finally putting aside the hangover of his rubbish usage in Storm of Chaos. I guess one of the harshest has to be Volkmar's, tortured for a year then forced to become the epitome of everything he stands against...!

HereComesTomorrow
05-06-2016, 10:37
Genuinly surprised no one has mentioned Settra yet. I'd say it still counts even though he came back for no reason.

In fact Settra's whole storyline makes me think that the decision to destroy the Old World didn't happen until some point after a majority of it had been written. The first four books are somewhat coherant and set up a lot for future events or storylines and they're all very hastily tied up, Settra's resurrection by Chaos especially.