PDA

View Full Version : Favorite new rule in 9th age

MagicAngle
03-06-2016, 04:45
Unfortunately the previous 9th Age thread has descended into the usual Warseer acrimony. Let's start a (hopefully positive) discussion on your favorite new rule introduced in 9th Age. For me that's a very long list, as the rules and AB teams have made some crackers.

My personal favorite is The Empire (of Sonnstahl) "Orders" special rule for Empire Generals and Captains. "Ready! Aim! Fire!" is great for getting your shooters started in turn one. "Steady, Men!" is a nice extension of the previous Ld powers that Empire heroes and lords had. The rule is very fluffy, with nice strategic and synergistic value, without unbalancing the list at all.

What other nice new rules have y'all spotted?

Dark Elf
03-06-2016, 07:20
I like the new parry very much. It really makes you choose your battles and you gotta be careful to net get bogged down.

Arrahed
03-06-2016, 07:38
I really like the deployment poker game were you try to get the best of deploying late and getting the first move.

snirr
03-06-2016, 09:20
I like Inspire Greatness from the Warriors of the Dark Gods. Especially since I really like infantry.

Hoffa
03-06-2016, 11:04
I really like the new Overwhelming power rule that is the 9:th age version of irresistible force. It no longer prevents dispel it just makes it much harder by adding 1D3+number of diced used to cast to the casting total. This means that the frustration of losing a game due the the opponent scoring an IF on the critical spell you had been saving you scroll for is gone.

Folomo
03-06-2016, 14:12
I like how miscast now work, dependent on the amount of PD you use.

Soundwave
03-06-2016, 14:21
As a Dread elf player I like the way always strikes first was taken away and changed. I also am loving the five different themed armies in the list now.
The two cult choices.
The standard non aligned list.
The beastmaster list.
And the corsair pirate list.
Of course these can be mixed around but the option is there for really strong effective themes.

Skargit Crookfang
03-06-2016, 14:58
The death of the Reign of Chaos table and the crap Warpflame "have a regen, brah" rule... they're gone, so I finally started playing Daemons, and am loving it.

Asmodios
03-06-2016, 16:23
Its a hard choice. The new deployment rules as well as the miscast and magic rules are so good. If i had to pick one i would say the way magic works now is my favorite change.

Teurastaja
03-06-2016, 16:31
Bloodlines are back - so many themed lists to enjoy!

Malagor
03-06-2016, 16:57
Magic phase+ beastmen book and dwarf book, easily the best and the only thing that I can't find any real complaints.

Adam_Barrow
03-06-2016, 17:09
Bloodlines! Vampire mad scientist necromancer is the coolest combination of words in the English language. Team Necrarch for life, witches!

MagicAngle
03-06-2016, 17:11
I think the strength and originality of a lot of the new rules gives the lie to those saying that T9A is just a less random and less characterful version of 8th ed. The project is harnessing the creative talents of dozens of WHFB fans around the world and I think it really shows. Not to mention the fact that 90 % of the army lists are not even in the v1.0 status yet, and are essentially the "Ravening Hordes" versions of the armies. There is essentially limitless potential here.

I can now field a wight king bodyguard with a special rule for guarding my squishy necromancer. Neat, fluffy and the sort of subtlety that the GW writers rarely managed to master in the official publications.

Tokamak
03-06-2016, 17:15
Emphasis on less characterful.

ewar
03-06-2016, 17:45

Why are you even replying with that? The OP specifically asked for people's favourite rules. Seriously, like the community isn't fractured into silos enough already, you feel the need to flame bait a thread that obviously is of no interest to you. Just. Don't. Do. It. :rolleyes:

OT: the magic lores and general magic phase rules are my favourite. It took me a couple of games to get over the loss of +3/+4 to cast but now I think it's the best change ever. The curve between casters has been nicely flattened so that I can take essentially any combination of levels as I see fit.

Plus, I really like that the different lores have a good range of buffs, hexes and damage whilst still retaining the flavour of their different types. Some really great design work went into them.

Vazalaar
03-06-2016, 19:59
I think the strength and originality of a lot of the new rules gives the lie to those saying that T9A is just a less random and less characterful version of 8th ed. The project is harnessing the creative talents of dozens of WHFB fans around the world and I think it really shows. Not to mention the fact that 90 % of the army lists are not even in the v1.0 status yet, and are essentially the "Ravening Hordes" versions of the armies. There is essentially limitless potential here.

I can now field a wight king bodyguard with a special rule for guarding my squishy necromancer. Neat, fluffy and the sort of subtlety that the GW writers rarely managed to master in the official publications.

I don't agree at all with the bolded part.

The EoS book is almost perfect, but The WDG is the most bland and boring version of all the fanmade chaos armybooks I've read. Although one big issue I have with EoS is the 2 base attacks for knightly orders.. it doesn't make sens.

---

What I really like,

Their professionalism.
The layout of their rules.

What I like,

Magic lores are very good and balanced with some really nice spells.
Disrupted.

What I dislike,

The parry rule, I preferred the 8th edition rule for it.
The removal of Insane courage.

The above are things I think are better or worse compared with 8th edition. So the core rules, except some minor complains (see above), are good.

The problem for me with 9th Age is mainly the armybooks. Some are really good, fun and immersive (EoS, VC) and some are imo very bad.

Currently I am not planning to play 9th Age, but I follow their forum (registered) and hope that I will change my opinion/feeling after the september update.

I am using some of their idea's (spells/magic items) for 8th edition my small group plays (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3228769/Magic%20Items%20-%20Spells.pdf) and I am now using their EoS armylist to make the Empire Armylist/book of my dreams (mix EoS/Furion/Warhammer Armies Projects). The EoS order system is brilliant.

Asmodios
03-06-2016, 20:03
Why are you even replying with that? The OP specifically asked for people's favourite rules. Seriously, like the community isn't fractured into silos enough already, you feel the need to flame bait a thread that obviously is of no interest to you. Just. Don't. Do. It. :rolleyes:

OT: the magic lores and general magic phase rules are my favourite. It took me a couple of games to get over the loss of +3/+4 to cast but now I think it's the best change ever. The curve between casters has been nicely flattened so that I can take essentially any combination of levels as I see fit.

Plus, I really like that the different lores have a good range of buffs, hexes and damage whilst still retaining the flavour of their different types. Some really great design work went into them.
Yup most games that are "won by magic" are now won because of the combination of a few small hex/buffs that let you squeeze out a victory. It feels some much more fun then let me throw 6 dice at this and if i get two 6s i win. At least this is how its shaping up in our local meta and I'm really enjoying it

Klingsoer
03-06-2016, 20:36
Setup, Objcetivs and Magic Rule changes a very well thought out - and makes the game much more enjoyable

Skargit Crookfang
03-06-2016, 20:52

There's always one ;)

theunwantedbeing
03-06-2016, 21:04
I have two, purely because of the names.

Ashes to Ashes
for the Vampire Convent
and
Dust to Dust
for the Undying Dynasties

MagicAngle
03-06-2016, 21:33
Fair play - I didn't mean to imply the detractors are lying or anything. Apologize if that's how it came across. I guess what I'm getting at is that the rules quality which is shining through in many cases are a great indication of things to come. I'm pretty confident that the lists that may not have gotten the love in the "Ravening Hordes" lists will get some fun stuff in the full AB release.

As a vampire count and empire player, though, I've gotten a ton of great new rules to mull over. The corpse cart can join a unit of zombies, with the corpse master as a champion. It doesnt add a ton of strategic advantage but boy does it look awesome. Another great simple new rule.

Kingrick
04-06-2016, 16:35
i like that kindred aspects are back, and that the dryads and treeman got their strength back. Thicket beast character/bsb... and that is just on the wood elves side, lots of other great stuff.

The bearded one
04-06-2016, 17:07
I like how miscast now work, dependent on the amount of PD you use.

This.

Rolling double 6's on a 2-dice fireball won't potentially blow up my slann and half a dozen templeguard anymore. Risk vs reward is balanced more fairly.

Tokamak
04-06-2016, 18:55

It's feedback, that's all. Nobody expects a bunch of charitable rules writers to hit a home-run straight away. Now of course you can either be sensitive and defensive about it or consider it one for the 'things to look into' list.

Urgat
06-06-2016, 06:43
This.

Rolling double 6's on a 2-dice fireball won't potentially blow up my slann and half a dozen templeguard anymore. Risk vs reward is balanced more fairly.

And vis-versa. I've incorporated something similar in our houserules a while ago, I'm glad it made it to 9th age.

Yowzo
06-06-2016, 11:20
Miscasts. Well, rather the way magic as a whole has been toned down to just a tool in a toolbox instead of a game decider for way too many games. Everything from spells to PD generation and miscasts.

Out of specific armybooks I'd say the O&G finally making each gobbo type unique.... and of course Green Tide and the gobbo crown to encourage gobbo generals.

Soundwave
06-06-2016, 15:10
The whole beastherds army book. That is boss and almost makes me want to buy an army. Had one of the most intense games ever with my dread elves against it.
(Lost by 200 ish points was amazing fun though).

ewar
06-06-2016, 16:51
It's feedback, that's all. Nobody expects a bunch of charitable rules writers to hit a home-run straight away. Now of course you can either be sensitive and defensive about it or consider it one for the 'things to look into' list.

Haha who's sensitive? I must have missed the part where the OP asked for 'things to look into' as your post was as far from constructive as it's possible to get. I'll leave it at that, as don't want to derail things further, but just try and consider that the players of all the different systems now have to get along.

Evil Hypnotist
07-06-2016, 11:25
Lethal strike vs cav when using spears.

As stated, the way miscasting is done now is much better (especially with the caster having no saves of any kind), although I liked the magic rules in the first couple of beta editions where casters could support each other. I felt it gave another level of tactical play in there but I won't lose any sleep over the change back to being similar to 8th.

Alltaken
11-06-2016, 04:33
2 rules that amount to 1 concept.

Dispell scroll being purchasable witouth wizards and the dispell banner. It means you can effectively go no wizards on any possible combination and still be effective.

2DSick
29-06-2016, 08:09
Thus far, my favourite touch is the amendment to spears.

I love that they are a decent phalanx against cavalry et al.

It makes them far more than just more die to throw.

Also, the added effects to sword and board and paired weapons.... Simple changes that have widened the diversity of weapon options :D

And a close second goes to the way deployment and the first turn roll works. Really, really good