PDA

View Full Version : Paint stripping

It's also a hammer
03-06-2016, 08:28
Hi been converting a new SM captain and I've over done it on the undercoat so was wondering if anyone knew anything that could safely strip paint off of a plastic model without damaging it

Casper Hawser
03-06-2016, 08:38
Check out my mates U Tube channel Lukes APS he does a tutorial on it along with lots of good ideas for terrain and other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draconis
03-06-2016, 14:56
read and rejoice

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

coldsteel
03-06-2016, 16:10
read and rejoice

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

Does not exist supposedly...

Hammer, you want to pick up some Dettol.

Draconis
03-06-2016, 16:21
Des not exist supposedly...

Hammer, you want to pick up some Dettol.

what the hell? i can go right to the page when I do a google search for it lol. It cut the ... off at the end, see how they are white? add those dots

Edit, fixed the post. The link should work now.

Sureshot05
03-06-2016, 16:25
Dettol, rubber gloves and toothpaste.

Fill a bowl with the dettol, leave the model in for about 4-10 hours (I have left them for days :O ) and then use toothbrush to scrub off. You will see some minor smoothing of the lines and detail on plastic kits, but a good paint job can fix this. It is messy so i recommend doing it outdoors. And the gloves are for your hands. Neat dettol can leave your hands with a burning sensation. It is laborious getting all the bits out of the cracks and a toothpick can help (don't use a pin, you'll scratch the soften plastic!).

I've done it with IG vehicles, tau vehicles and infantry, tyranid monsters and Chaos marines. Of all of these, the CSM came off the worst. But (especially with vehicles) the money I have saved has been pretty good.

Tokamak
03-06-2016, 16:35
Dettol isn't that great. It's expensive, it smells bad and the smell lingers after washing, and it takes quite a long for a good strip.

Blue Wonder is available in more places, cheap and stripes like five times faster than Dettol while the smell is way more pleasant and fleething.

MDSW
03-06-2016, 19:19
I found the green cleaners work good after a soak and a scrub with the brush. I have a big bottle of Green Lightning I use for just this purpose. Leave the mini soaking for a day or so and the paint brushes right off and no messy fumes.

mightymconeshot
03-06-2016, 19:29
I use Power Degreaser, gloves, and a toothbrush. I actually just picked up a tile grout cleaner which has stiffer bristles and worked great on its first test. I didn't seem to damage the plastic, but they are still sitting in bucket so I haven't given them a detailed look yet.

Maidel
03-06-2016, 22:57
Personally I can vouch for dettol, it works every time.

It also tries to strip your skin off, so as the guy above said, gloves are a must.

SecretVault
03-06-2016, 23:30
You can just use ethanol. I let some of my figures soak overnight in it. The paint came off just fine when brushed with a toothbrush afterwards. Just be gentle with the toothbrush on some of those Tau antennas!

Abaraxas
07-06-2016, 11:20
I mostly just use dettol (for metal and plastic,can be watered down 50/50 to save cost) and acetone for those (metal-not plastic) pieces that are clogged with glue.

Sir_Turalyon
07-06-2016, 11:28
For plastics (and metals) nail polish remover, aceton free! Few minutes exposure lets you strip the paint without damaging the plastic. Not sure about resin.

Draconis
07-06-2016, 12:58
For plastics (and metals) nail polish remover, aceton free! Few minutes exposure lets you strip the paint without damaging the plastic. Not sure about resin.

Should be fine with resin, as acetone is also safe with resin. Just use them in a well ventilated area.

lordbeefy
12-06-2016, 13:46
another vote for dettol from me, leave the mini in it for 24hrs, then scrub up with an old toothbrush....i have done this on a great many minis and never had any issues other than the stuff stinks. No damage to any plastic or resin and does a very thorough job...i once left a mini in it for 3 months just for sh*ts n gigglez to see if it decayed it at all and it didnt.

The Black Shield
12-06-2016, 17:27
If in the U.S. I'd say Simple Green, but it is hit or miss on plastics.

Sai-Lauren
12-06-2016, 19:43
I got some stuff called Biostrip a few years back which works fairly well (http://www.biostrip.co.uk/biostrip-20-paint-stripper-500ml-tub.html), otherwise, there's the old standbys of Mr Muscle orange spray or brake fluid.

IIRC, there's also a thread on this subject down in the Modelling and Painting subforum. ;)

silverstu
12-06-2016, 23:08
Fairy powerspray is good- I spray into a jar, leave it for a couple of minutes -then give it a scrub with a toothbrush- a couple of goes and its done.

Maidel
13-06-2016, 00:44
another vote for dettol from me, leave the mini in it for 24hrs, then scrub up with an old toothbrush....i have done this on a great many minis and never had any issues other than the stuff stinks. No damage to any plastic or resin and does a very thorough job...i once left a mini in it for 3 months just for sh*ts n gigglez to see if it decayed it at all and it didnt.

I will say dettol doesn't work perfectly on some very rare plastics. The ones I've had problems with are the cheap mass produced plastic models from old games - specifically advanced space crusade (yellow-cream plastic) and a late 90's 40k boxed game. The plastics are fine, but for some reason the paint doesn't 'bubble' off the model, it seems to smear across the surface and change the colour of the plastic. It's fine after it drys and is sprayed, but the bare plastic never seems to clean up.

It's why I've never brought myself to strip my rb01 marines because they were cheap blue or cream plastic as well.

Elbows of Death
13-06-2016, 02:58
All the suggestions are good, just remember to use some rubber gloves - keep a window open etc. All of the stuff you can use might be non-toxic but that doesn't mean you should be inhaling it or soaking it up through your pores. When using a toothbrush to scrub the minis --- careful of your eyes.

Bookwrak
16-06-2016, 08:36
Indeed, most of these suggestions are degreasers, or worse. They'll strip the oil right out of your skin, and mild (at least) chemical burns follow quick behind that.

hobbic_c
16-06-2016, 15:01
I can also vote for fairy powerspray, although with my models I had to leave them for at least 24 hours, although thay may be because they were varnished. while soaking I kept them in a washing up bowl covered in cling film

PeteStewardson
11-07-2016, 15:04
I used Fairy Power Spray recently and seemed to work well. Worked as well as detol but without the smell.

Elbows of Death
11-07-2016, 15:43
Here's a post I did on my blog a short while ago.

If you're in the states I can suggest Super Clean, or Purple Power --- and not Simple Green (they've changed the chemical formula recently and people are stating it's lost its stripping capability).

http://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com/2016/04/stripping-models.html